Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
best camp? #105204 03/13/07 05:13 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline OP
OP Offline
What is the best camp for a 10/under kid? Chertow, Ok State, Granby school? Any recommendations appreciated.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: best camp? [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #105208 03/13/07 05:16 PM
firehawk88 Offline
I can't speak for the others but Chertow has a really good camp.

Larry Woltje
Re: best camp? [Re: firehawk88] #105223 03/13/07 05:47 PM
24/7 Offline
Purler's takedown machine in St. Louis is fantastic. The facilities are a little "rustic", but the camp is great.

Another great clinician you don't see much of is Martin Stegovia of Garden City. He is absolutely super!

24/7

Re: best camp? [Re: 24/7] #105225 03/13/07 05:52 PM
firehawk88 Offline
Martin Sergovia's camps are good. They tend to be shorter time frame than most don't they?

Larry Woltje
Re: best camp? [Re: firehawk88] #105226 03/13/07 05:56 PM
24/7 Offline
Yea. Martin's are usually a couple day commuter camps. But they are very worth it.

24/7

Re: best camp? [Re: 24/7] #105231 03/13/07 06:32 PM
in it to win it Offline
Chertow has a good camp system, plus the boys that take advantage of the summer session will have a chance to re-inforce their skills learned in the Fall session when Ken swings through again...for a much more reasonable cost.

Cael Sanderson's camps are great (he's taken Bobby Douglas's camp). J. Robinson's camps are supppose to be top notch as well ---both camps are great if staying for the intensive sessions (21-28 days of wrestling).
Missouri offers a team camp that at times have come to Wichita. You must recognize that they are now a force to be reckoned with.

Martin's (Steve) has replaced his father with the Granby Camp...it's been held @ Mexico, MO for several years. Use to bring a weekend session to/around Independence Mall area High school Blue Valley North??

We've also experienced chain wrestling camp by ?Roller? ?Spates?

Southern Plains Camp has been a good prep for South Plains Regional's. Also, K-State used to have a camp for kids that was put on in July that was really reasonable----am not sure if they still have it or not.

Last edited by in it to win it; 03/13/07 11:06 PM.

In it to win it.
Re: best camp? [Re: in it to win it] #105263 03/13/07 10:15 PM
G
Ginny Wagh Offline
G
Purler's Takedown Machine is fantastic. They really teach the boys a lot, and very well ran, great technique. It was our son's first time last year and he loved it. The boys really work hard throughout the day that they are exhausted by nightfall. Highly recommend, but they are filling fast, the first two sessions are full and the other two were 1/2 full last week.

Ginny Wagh
KCWC in Maryland

Re: best camp? [Re: Ginny Wagh] #105382 03/14/07 08:59 PM
P
pinkwrestler Offline
P
john smith osu camp

Re: best camp? [Re: pinkwrestler] #105425 03/15/07 06:31 AM
Beeson Offline
My only problem with Chertow is that he shows the cement mixer and the SNAKE (head and arm) hack moves that only work on 6U and poor wrestlers. It has taken several months to work these moves out of a couple of wrestlers that learned them at a Chertow camp. He may teach other good techniques but these two moves are terrible. Kids find immediate success with them and once everyone knows what you are going to do, your screwed. Teach the basics and not these hack moves.

I would highly recommend Purler.

Last edited by Beeson; 03/15/07 06:32 AM.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: best camp? [Re: Beeson] #105452 03/15/07 12:51 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks all who gave suggestions; looks like Purler is the winner; I'm kind of concerned that there is no live wrestling at the camp though; Beeson the snake worked pretty good for Larry Perez. I never thought of it as a hack move. Thanks again for all the helpful insight.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: best camp? [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #105457 03/15/07 01:41 PM
WOOD_WON Offline
The camp put on by Shane Roller in Tahlequah, OK is an excellent camp. He brings in numerous college wrestlers and also the coaching staff from OSU. It is just like going to the OSU cam p, but you aren't a # and the individualized attention is outstanding. They help each wrestler with the style that fits them personally. The competition is great and the ratio of campers to coaches is great. I have taken a group of kids the last 2 years and it has helped them tremendously. Here is a link to the information:

http://www.worldofwrestling-roller.com/shane_roller_camps.htm

Jason Wood

"Champions rise during the week not the weekend"
Jason Wood
Re: best camp? [Re: WOOD_WON] #105807 03/18/07 04:41 PM
W
Wrestling at Sea Offline
W
Shane Roller has made a good name for himself teaching younger wrestlers technique. He was a 12 time state wrestling champ from Oklahoma and won Tulsa Nationals 8 times. He has paired up now with Pat Smith (fmr O-state Asst. coach & 4 time NCAA national champ, silver medalist in world cup). Why not consider combining a wrestling clinic with a family vacation? We have a cruise that includes a week long wrestling clinic with Pat & Shane set for July 23. It's not for everyone, but not all wrestling clinics go to Cozumel, Mexico with your family either. Not only will it be a great clinic, but an unforgettable family moment. For more information, click on "Camps/Clinics" at the top left of this page.

Phil & Kristy McComb
Wrestling @ Sea
kmccomb@cruiseplanners.com
1-866-677-3988

Re: best camp? [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #107888 04/14/07 10:22 PM
Larry Perez Offline
"My only problem with Chertow is that he shows the cement mixer and the SNAKE (head and arm) hack moves that only work on 6U and poor wrestlers. It has taken several months to work these moves out of a couple of wrestlers that learned them at a Chertow camp. He may teach other good techniques but these two moves are terrible. Kids find immediate success with them and once everyone knows what you are going to do, your screwed. Teach the basics and not these hack moves."

-I am sure everyone knows how I feel. It is okay if you consider the "snack" a hack move if you want. Each wrestler should do moves that they feel good with. I felt really good with the snake. I pinned a lot of wrestlers with the move. Would you rather call a gramby a hack move? No, because kids have success with all different types of moves. By the way, I still use the snake in college!

Re: best camp? [Re: Larry Perez] #107910 04/15/07 03:34 PM
Kyle O. Roberts Offline
If the snake is a hack move, GB has several HACKMEISTERS! \:\)

Love it when we take you from feet to back....

news4kyle@yahoo.com
620-300-9999
Although I love all sports, only one bearhugs my heart!
Re: best camp? [Re: Kyle O. Roberts] #107912 04/15/07 04:16 PM
A
Akin Wrestling Offline
A
Team Champions 'team camp' in Baldwin City offers a full package.

Top level technique instructors:
Gary Mayab - "youth developer of the year," 4 straight Mo state team titles at Oak Park HS
Zach Roberson - NCAA Champion, National Open Champ, 3x AA, never lost in Ks high school competition
Eric Akin - 2x Olympic alternate, US Open Champ, 4x AA, "male athlete of the year" at Iowa state

Camp includes weight-lifting instruction, character in sport lessons, and camp awards. Wrestlers get 2 dual matches per evening.

For event flier email: eakin@kc.rr.com
For more info contact: teamchampionswrestling@hotmail.com
Camp Director, Kit Harris (785) 594-3481

Re: best camp? [Re: Akin Wrestling] #107939 04/16/07 05:25 AM
O
Outdoor Camps Offline
O
Notice: Due to recent changes in the order of events for the Pan-American Games, Kevin Jackson's camp dates have been changed from July (22-27) to July (15-20) and Jason Kelber's camp to July (22-27)!

You also might want to look into the camps below. They offer a Youth Development camp specifically designed for youth wrestlers. It is also a very unique camp in the respect that it offers not only a great camp atmosphere but many Outdoor Challenges that work in; fun,team building activities and mental and physical challenges.

You might ask for some feedback from Larry Perez, a UNK Loper wrestler and author of an above post. They had their team retreat at this camp last fall. Some of his teammates as well as Jason Kelber will be running the clinician portion of the Youth Development Camp.

OUTDOOR CHALLENGE CAMPS located near Valentine, NE has announced its summer camp schedule.
Featured clinicians are as follows:
Kevin Jackson - In pursuit of Gold training camp. July 15-20. US Olympic Team Freestyle Coach, Olympic Gold Medalist, 2X World Champion, 3X World Cup Champion, 2X Pan-American Champion, 4X NCAA Div. 1 All-American
Jason Kelber -Competitive Edge training camps. June 16-22 and July 22-27. NCAA Div. 1 National Champion UNL, 3X Div.1 All-American, 3X Iowa State HS champion, 9 yrs. college coaching experience.
Marty McCurdy - Granby Style training camp. June 28- July 3. Nebraska Wrestling Hall of Fame, Kansas 3-2-1A Coach of Year, 3X Nebraska Class A Coach of Year, 4 State Team Championships, 184 Career Dual Wins, 19 State Champions, 91 State Medalists
(NEW) Youth Development Camp - July 29 - August 2 - This camp will be led by members of the Univ. of Nebraska Kearney,2007 NCAA Div. II national runners up and Clifff Keen Nationals Duals Champions with special guest clinician Jason Kelber. This camp will have the same format as our other Outdoor Challenge Camps but will be geared towards Youth Development 3rd through 8th grade. Our web site will be updated with this information soon.

These camps are all intensive camps. Our small camp size ensures you get lots of individual attention. They all incorporate excellent technique sessions as well as live wrestling and Outdoor Challenge Activities including; an obstacle course, paintball tournament, orienteering course and a float trip down a "Wild and Scenic River". To see the many other planned activities visit our web site.

Also in the planning stages is a Father/Son camp. We are looking at dates in late July or early August. Same camp format and activities just scaled down a bit for younger wrestlers and time constraints.

We will also have up to 8 “need based” $200/wrestler scholarships available to attend our camps this summer. This information will be posted on the web site soon.

For more information click on the following web site link:
www.outdoorchallengecamps.com
or call: Steve Hansen, Camp Director 402-376-2679

You can download a printable version of our camp brochure from the menu on our web site.

“You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.”

Last edited by Outdoor Camps; 04/20/07 10:59 PM.
Re: best camp? [Re: Outdoor Camps] #108052 04/18/07 11:37 PM
Larry Perez Offline
The time I spent retreat at Steve Hansen's camp was amazing. I would give this camp excellent feedback. All parents and coaches looking for a great camp this summer I highly recommend OUTDOOR CHALLENGE CAMPS! I went with the UNK wrestling team, not knowing many of them, and made great bonds! I learned much more then wrestling there. If you have any questions about the camp Steve is the guy! Again, http://www.outdoorchallengecamps.com would be a great camp for the summer!

Re: best camp? [Re: Larry Perez] #108116 04/20/07 11:01 PM
O
Outdoor Camps Offline
O
Notice recent changes in dates of OUTDOOR CHALLENGE CAMPS!
bump

Re: best camp? [Re: Outdoor Camps] #108687 05/04/07 02:00 PM
O
Outdoor Camps Offline
O
bump

Re: best camp? [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #108704 05/04/07 06:42 PM
A
ak133 Offline
A
Beeson-I realize everyone is a little biased towards what moves/techniques work for their individual body type or wrestling style but saying that certain moves only work for 6&under seems a little ridiculous. I cannot speak for the Purler Camps because I have not been to one, but the Chertow Camps for me as a coach/wrestler have been a really good learning experience. I have had success at all levels with Twister/mixer/snake and could not understand why you would think they are not as effective as any other move. BTW that is only a small percentage of what the camp is about-but could be highlighted by someone who is pretty good at teaching those moves.

As Perez said he is great with the Snake and dominated with it throughout high school and continues to use it in college. Look at Johnny Thompson-he pinned many full grown men with it and no one said it didnt work.

I hope you are a parent and not a coach because each wrestler should be allowed to develop the skills that work for him and should not be subjected to such close-minded role models.

I have heard some really good things about the Outdoor Challenge Camps-they are supposed to be very physically challenging-similar to the Marine Boot Camp Obstacle course.

Adam Keiswetter
www.twisterwrestling.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 140 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)