Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL #109570 06/03/07 12:11 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Today was Greco and FS state in Junction City. Tons of kids traveled from all over the geographical part of the state to possibley represent Kansas down the line in National competitions and of course leave as state champions.

With all the great action going on, it didn't take much to overshadow it. I am deeply discouraged by the behavior of some today in what I consider "bad judgement". I know sometimes we get tempers and such, and some rivalries cary over week after week with the competitive nature of the beast, however it would be nice to leave the vulgarity and threats somewhere else. Wrestling is a respect all, fear none mentality...I saw a lot of the fear none...but very lil respect today not only by individuals toward each other, but to the entire Kansas Wrestling Community with their innapropriate actions.

Today was to be about the kids, in the end a lot of people aren't going to remember the great matches they saw, but instead will remember the cursing, name calling, and threats witnessed.

We all love the sport...let's not ruin it for those that are begining to get involved and love it.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #109572 06/03/07 01:08 AM
Scarecrow_103 Offline
What Happened?

Re: STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL [Re: Scarecrow_103] #109585 06/03/07 12:43 PM
D
DDUB Offline
D
I totally agree, it was a very sad day for the sport of wrestling in Kansas. It's bad enough when you see the wrestler lose control but when the parents get involved it takes the scene to a new low. Scary part about yesterday, it not only happened once but twice! I wonder what the refs from Oklahoma were thinking when the gym cleared out to watch the first two knuckle heads? It's no wonder our State struggles for respect. Maybe those guys thought the outcome of the outside event would change the outcome of the inside event!?

As one parent turned and said to anybody who would listen, "and this is the example we want to set for our kids?" Scary part about it most (and I said most)of the adults involved had wrestlers who weren't even in high school (including the matside ejection of yet another 8th grade parent). Apple won't fall far from those trees!

I also noticed each of these parents were matside during the match. My advice would be if you can not handle the intesity or pressure get up in the stands or stay home. Or, if you think the refs are not up to your standards, become a ref and make a positive impact.

Wrestling is a sport/game and the events we participate in are about the kids. Five years from now no one will remember or even care about who won or lost yesterday. But, they may remember the fools who thought they could change a score in the parking lot in lieu of a wrestling mat.

Re: STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL [Re: Scarecrow_103] #109588 06/03/07 01:28 PM
voice of reason Offline
 Originally Posted By: Scarecrow_103
What Happened?

At least two times where the gym cleared out, at one point where the event announcer asked for some police to get into the parking lot because of a ruckus. Will say this, does it ever seem like it is the same people to anyone else? Go back over the last 3 or 4 postes over the last year that involved problems with parents/coaches, and I bet it is the same people, in fact I know it is the same people. Then again, I guess these folks will blame it on someone else like they always do, never accepting responsibility for making themselves and the sport looking like a bunch of a holes. Hopefully nothing shows up on video of this as it will certainly add another black eye to our sport.

There was a lot more than this, just these two that ended up outside of the wrestling room almost clearing the wrestling room.

Sincerely,

James
Re: STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL [Re: voice of reason] #109592 06/03/07 03:24 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Please tell me that no officials were ejected from this tournament!

Re: STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL [Re: sportsfan02] #109594 06/03/07 03:53 PM
Cokeley Offline
For the record, NO ONE was ejected. The knuckle heads were the people who followed the two dads outside. We went outside so we could talk without being interrupted by the P.A. or anyone else. Nothing was going to happen but I guess everyone wanted it to.

The question that needs to be answered in one that has been asked SEVERAL times before on this forum. "When is someone going to hold the coaches from TOHK accountable for their actions?" How many of you would sit on your hands and keep your mouth shut when a coach tells you "I'm going to make your wife my b****!" There is no sense beating around the bush. TOHK causes a scene at nearly every tournament

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL [Re: Cokeley] #109595 06/03/07 04:15 PM
K
klint deere Offline
K
Though i think the thread is interesting and can provide a forum for some constructive discussion, i think we have to make sure we are not reinforcing the continuation of problems here.

I really think the emphasis here should be placed on the high quality of the wrestling in that particular bracket. Some truly amazing matches there. I hate to see that clouded over at all. What a great group of young men, all of whom are worthy of great representation for our national teams.

Emotions run high, words can get exchanged, things can heat up quickly and cool down just as quick, misunderstandings happen.
Is it a TOHK problem, a Cokeley problem, a Slyter problem or whomever? I dont think so.

Any suggestions for the solution besides pointing fingers---?

Last edited by klint deere; 06/03/07 04:19 PM.
Re: STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL [Re: sportsfan02] #109596 06/03/07 04:31 PM
R
rjohnson Offline
R
I say if those involved is known by everyone "BAN THEM FOR LIFE" for ever being able to attend another Kansas Wrestling event again, or at least a stiff probation period, and any more infractions no questions asked your out. We have in place now certain critria for be ejected from a event. Sounds however, that those involved have a good track record going for this type of behavior. Keep in mind also that this took place in a Public School, and parking lot area. If we keep letting this go it will be a matter of time before Kansas Public schools will be of limits to wrestling events not sactioned by the KSHSAA unless we can show that the problem is addressed with the maximum punishment for this type of issue. How many of you can think back on other things in our life, where we had something good going that brought joy and entertainment to people, and a few people who where always bringing their low-rent behavior not just ruinned it, but lost it forever for everyone. I understand that the police where involved was there any arrests?
We have allot of people who devote their time and effort, giving up their own family time to make sure that our kids have good coaching, a ride to tournements, they are their helping us to plant good qualities into our kids, the kind that make them respectful adults. They travel out of state, and allot of times they themselves are out of pocket for expensenses and not once do they stand out in front of a crowd looking for attention, or a thank you, or bringing attention to themselves they are just good people. And it would be a disrespect to them if we let all their hard efforts go to the wayside because of something like this, and the ones responsible.

Ronnie Johnson

Re: STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL [Re: klint deere] #109597 06/03/07 04:45 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
As in any argument, actions cause reactions. It is sad to see a storied club that is led by coaches that are respected nationwide, be dragged into the chaos by a few members of the team. It takes some kind of a coward to have a conflict with another coach and to direct his anger at the coaches wife. There were many who heard what was said and it is not in dispute. Usually, the solution is to handle the words like they deserve to be handled. In this case, coming from a tiny man who is struggling with his self-worth, the best advice is to ignore it and move on. The problems we have with our reactions only increase the problem. That being said, can we all say that we would handle those words about our wives any differently? As reasonable as many of us consider ourselves, Will's reaction is easily understood. Does he need to reign in his emotions at times around the mat? Sure he does. Can we ask a man to react calmly when his wife is called out? Try that on for yourself before you answer that one.

- Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL [Re: Cokeley] #109598 06/03/07 05:36 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
 Originally Posted By: Cokeley
For the record, NO ONE was ejected.

Very true...removed from the corner was the only thing that happend, and out of respect of the official, that is what happend, the father immediantly moved out of the corner.

As for wife name calling, or any other thing that is unsportsmanlike or just down right wrong, we as a state need to sit our butts down and reevaluate what is going on. We have people threating to make someone's wife their personal play toy (and these are "grown" men), then we see it trickle down...heck if you were a state champion this year in high school you might not only have won a state title, but been handed a tampon by a sore loser on the podium as you tried to bask in the glory you and your family were going through at the moment.

We need to set the bar higher for HS level aged kids and set forth a stricter code of conduct for all athletes, parents, coaches and fans to follow.

Kansas needs to step up on this one as a collective unit, we have so much promising things going on, and so many people that butt heads that support the same thing in our sport and that is to see KANSAS in the big time by helping kids. Let's not lose focus on that task by hindering them instead.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #109599 06/03/07 07:02 PM
A
Akin Wrestling Offline
A
The heat of the battle is a strange thing. In many ways it often reflects the true nature of our character, but on the other hand it often causes us to act in ways that don't reflect the true values of our character at all.

There are many things I've done at tournaments that I am proud to have accomplished, but on the same token there are many unsportsmanlike things that I have done at tournaments that I wish I could erase. In my experiences I've learned some very valuable things: One of them is that I am very thankful that, for the most part, others have forgave me for some of my actions as being "in the heat of the battle." And likewise, I forgive others for their actions.

The fact is, in the heat of battle I'm going to do everything, within the rules (and everything else that the ref can't see), to beat you. But in the end I'll have no problem sitting down with you, sipping a root beer, and eating some chicken wings!

Cokeley's, TOHK, Slyter's have all been a huge part of Kansas wrestling for as long as I can remember. They are a huge part of the competetive edge of Kansas Wrestling. Without any of them Kansas Wrestling wouldn't be the same or nearly as exciting.

I'm not saying that everything that happened yesterday was O.K. But in my book it was in the heat of the battle. And in a battle I'd want all of them on my side.

What happened yesterday was Saturday. Today is Sunday and tomarrow is Monday. Start preparing for your next challenge, because your opponent is doing just that.

Go Team Kansas!

Re: STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL [Re: Akin Wrestling] #109600 06/03/07 08:13 PM
P
P. Pitbull's Old Dog Offline
P
Tell'em Eric!

That's why Kansas Wrestling will always be behind you as long as I am apart of it. Put the focus where the focus should be.

Tom Peterman

Head Coach - Peterman Pitbulls
Re: STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL [Re: P. Pitbull's Old Dog] #109601 06/03/07 08:49 PM
A
Akin Wrestling Offline
A
Having the Kansas Wrestling community behind me is priceless! From Ben Bennett to the Juby's, and everyone in between it will always be a family to me. There's nothing like the feeling of being made felt like a hometown hero when you know you're just a normal guy. This has been huge motivation in my wrestling journey and has pushed me when I've wanted to quit.

And loving, respecting, and cherishing who my opponents are has pushed me to new levels.

How can I hate the man I set out to conquer when he trains like me, has the same goals as me, thinks like me, loves the same sport as me, accepts the same challenges as me, weighs the same as me, when there is noone else as similar as me????

And because of these things I love who he is. . .and because of that I can defeat him.

Now I'm going to go run 4 miles and sit in the sauna so I can come home, eat a banana, and then tickle my kids to sleep.

Go Team Kansas!

Re: STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL [Re: Akin Wrestling] #109602 06/03/07 08:58 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
 Originally Posted By: Akin Wrestling
Having the Kansas Wrestling community behind me is priceless! From Ben Bennett to the Juby's, and everyone in between it will always be a family to me. There's nothing like the feeling of being made felt like a hometown hero when you know you're just a normal guy. This has been huge motivation in my wrestling journey and has pushed me when I've wanted to quit.

And loving, respecting, and cherishing who my opponents are has pushed me to new levels.

How can I hate the man I set out to conquer when he trains like me, has the same goals as me, thinks like me, loves the same sport as me, accepts the same challenges as me, weighs the same as me, when there is noone else as similar as me????

And because of these things I love who he is. . .and because of that I can defeat him.

Now I'm going to go run 4 miles and sit in the sauna so I can come home, eat a banana, and then tickle my kids to sleep.

Go Team Kansas!

While you are doing that I'll eat a dozen donuts for you, scratch my butt, and fall asleep watching a rerun of Blue Collared Comedy tour.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #109603 06/03/07 09:10 PM
J
Jim Gaither Offline
J
 Originally Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

While you are doing that I'll eat a dozen donuts for you, scratch my butt, and fall asleep watching a rerun of Blue Collared Comedy tour.

Another typical day for you Aaron? ;\)

Re: STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL [Re: Jim Gaither] #109604 06/03/07 09:15 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
He forgot to mention the donuts were dessert after the slab of ribs.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: STATE FS/Greco...PARENTAL CONTROL [Re: Chief Renegade] #109644 06/06/07 12:57 AM
usawks1 Offline
... man, I hope you all recognize how powerful the words of Eric Akin are!

Read them again ... dissect them ... and reflect on them!

I had plans for a presentation at the Silver College ... but they have changed! The message Eric relays is truly inspirational!!!! It will be shared with others!!

Last edited by usawks1; 06/06/07 01:07 AM.

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant

Moderated by  Coach T.Gonzales 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 164 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,383
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)