Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Report from Vegas, WTT & Silver College #109643 06/06/07 12:09 AM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually, I am not in Vegas yet but will be about noon Wednesday the 6th!

I will report as much as I can on the Kansas connection with the World Team Trials! The information I have right now ... is that we have one of our eligible athletes that will not compete. But rumor has it, that someone else may take his spot!!!

I believe we have 3 coaches from Kansas attending the Silver College that starts tomorrow night. I will wait till I have confirmation to report further!

I am honored to be a presenter again this year and look forward to the camaraderie and the fellowship that I dearly love!!!!

I believe I am going to use a post by Eric Akin in my presentation. Today, while mowing for 10 hours, I got the chance to reflect. What Eric had to say about his competitors, really rang a bell in my head!

So ... this is the first report from Ottawa/Vegas!!!!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Report from Vegas, WTT & Silver College [Re: usawks1] #109646 06/06/07 01:48 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
I wish I was joining you this year. Just stay away from certain places and don't forget your trench coat!

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: Report from Vegas, WTT & Silver College [Re: Curtis Chenoweth] #109746 06/08/07 11:22 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello All, It is Friday evening in Vegas! I am just about to finish up this years Silver College!

We have three Kansas coaches attending, Travis Keal from Mill Valley, and Rick Croucher and Matt Parenti from Ottawa. All of them are having a great time and according to them, learning a lot.

I haven't seen any of our Kansas competitors but have been busy in a different part of the complex. I hope to have a report on the weigh-ins later!

Tomorrow begins the competition for the World team and I can't wait!!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: Report from Vegas, WTT & Silver College [Re: usawks1] #109778 06/09/07 06:21 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
As Sir Richard has already reported on a different thread, Shawn Bunch and Zach Roberson will meet in a battle of Kansas!

But this match will take place at the World Team Trials in Vegas. They met earlier at the U.S. Nationals and Bunch squeaked out a win over Roberson! Both are looking tough and it should be a heck of a bout!!

It was great to get to visit with Kevin Klemm. As most of you know, Kevin previously coached (with the East Kansas Wrestling Club) every competitor Kansas has in the meet. Kevin currently is an Assistant Coach at Stanford University.

While you may take Kevin out of Kansas ... you can't take Kansas out of Kevin! This weekend, Klemm's credentials say, Team Kansas! Tomorrow, he will also be coaching Eric Akin who will sporting the Team Kansas designation with a ton of pride!

Kevin says Eric is looking tough and ready! In 1999, I saw Kevin coach Eric to a spot on the World Team. In 2007 ... I may get to experience, deja vu!

This afternoon, it will be heart-wrenching! Kevin says both Zach and Shawn are like sons to him. In Shawn's corner it will be Terry Brands. In Zach's corner, it will be Bobby Douglas and Kevin Klemm. In Vegas ... I would think the odds are ... even money!!

Last edited by usawks1; 06/09/07 06:24 PM.

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: Report from Vegas, WTT & Silver College [Re: usawks1] #109779 06/09/07 06:40 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
 Originally Posted By: usawks1
This afternoon, it will be heart-wrenching!

And may well be tomorrow with a possible bout between Tanner Gardner and Eric Akin.

Edit: I should read the front page and I would learn Tanner Gardner will not participate in this event.

Last edited by RichardDSalyer; 06/10/07 07:25 AM. Reason: Correction

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Report from Vegas, WTT & Silver College [Re: RichardDSalyer] #109808 06/09/07 10:31 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
WOW ... as you guys know, Zach squeaked by Shawn. But let me fill in a few blanks!

Zach had a few shots but could not secure the takedown. Shawn had a few snaps but Zach kept scrambling. With maybe 20 seconds to go in the first, Roberson hooked Bunch up in a head pinch and tipped Shawn for 2 and the first period win.

In the second, it was more of the same. Time was winding down and Bunch countered Roberson with his head pinch. Shawn nearly had Zach exposed but Zach swam out and gained the 1-point takedown.

The action was frantic over the remainder of the bout but Roberson held on! It was a great match between two great young men!

As described on the other thread, Bunch then drew Meneely. Meneely had earlier loss to Zadick by a 1-0, 1-0 decision. But Shawn absolutely humbled Todd!

And, the Hazewinkle v. Mango bout was also classic!!

Tonights finals start at 6:30 Vegas time so my next report will come a wee bit late!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: Report from Vegas, WTT & Silver College [Re: usawks1] #109841 06/10/07 11:22 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
I am still alive!

Someone ... told my acquaintance, Waunita, I was in Vegas! I was visiting Gilley's with my family and watching this attractive female, ride the bull. The crowd was electric as she continued to dominate the animal.

One minute ... two minutes ... five minutes into this ride and the operator was getting frustrated. What ever he threw, this gal could ride. I screamed at the top of my lungs, "look at that cowgirl ride!" At that exact moment, the lady lost her hold and was ejected. She flew about 15' and landed in a heap at my feet.

I reached down to help the damsel up when she spoke to me, "Hello Roscoe." I looked into her eyes, that were under a prominent uni-brow. I gasped out her name, "Waunita", as I let go of her hand which promptly dumped her back on her posterior.

I grabbed the hand of my bride, explaining we have to go, as we scurried toward the door. I could hear Waunita's voice behind me. She said, "Roscoe, Roscoe ... I just want to talk about the kids!"

Needless to say, I have been in hiding from Waunita and in the dog house with my wife! I was allowed to go to the event today but it's clearly hard to watch the matches when you are glancing at the door every few seconds.

Enough of the hilarity ... I have wrestling to report!

Roberson was so so close! I still shake my head when I think of it. Zach had Zadick beat but it slipped away!

It was a best 2 of 3 to decide who won the tourney. Zadick won the first bout and Roberson won the second. In the third match, Zach lost the first period. In the second, Zach took a 2-0. With about 20 seconds left, Zach was in a great single leg shot. Zach was trying hard to score but Zadick tipped him for an exposure. The score was tied but Zadick scored last which won him the match.

I walked with Coach Hagerty and Coach Mayaab this morning and they both commented about how far Zach has come in Freestyle wrestling! Nearly beating a World silver medalist has got to give him a ton of confidence!

Today, we had Joe and Eric. Tanner was a qualifier and my information was that we was going to withdraw from this tourney. I didn't report that in hopes that he would change his mind.

Anyway, Joe was very competitive and lost a couple close bouts.

Eric ... I just have so much respect and admiration for that man! Even while typing this, I am filled with Kansas pride for this "ageless warrior" as Sir Richard coined him.

Will Cokely arrived in town today and sat with me throughout both sessions so far.

Eric has a quite a loyal following and they were all rooting loud and proud. I will try to keep my word to you and make another post after this upcoming round. (as long as I don't encounter Waunita again)

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: Report from Vegas, WTT & Silver College [Re: usawks1] #109847 06/11/07 05:11 AM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, it's over! The 2007 edition of the U.S. World Team trials has come to a close. This years team will have a few new members.

Henry Cejudo is a member as is Doug Schwab. Schwab arguably had the more difficult journey as he had to defeat the top 3 seeds. Even then, he merely won the right to meet current World Team member, Chris Bono. It took three matches but Schwab won!

Joe Williams moved up a weight class and made the team.

Joe Warren, the current World Champ, looked absolutely dominant as he defeated a better man. He won two straight from Joe Betterman! (I know, quit moaning)

Harry Lester won his spot using his infamous power-bomb in the finals. Lester, who I watched in Fargo for years, is an impressive athlete.

As for our local hero? Eric Akin did lose to Vic Moreno in his consolation bout. Moreno, who is Tanner Gardner's training partner, went on to challenge and defeat Nick Simmons in the battle to determine the true 3rd placer.

USA Wrestling gives the top 3 on the ladder, training money for the year. It is this tournament that determines that ranking.

Eric says, "I did my best!" I have no doubt that he did. I will proudly confirm that Eric Akin is one the of pillars of the Kansas wrestling community.

Last edited by usawks1; 06/11/07 05:13 AM.

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: Report from Vegas, WTT & Silver College [Re: usawks1] #109865 06/12/07 12:47 AM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Back home again! I'll take a 36 hours break and head for Hays!

Eric Akin is already there!! He is a warrior! Last night he was looking a bit beat up and commented that he would have to suck it up to teach technique!

I hope we make a good impression at the Southern Plains! I saw many, including a Florida coach who was in the Silver College, who are looking forward to the trip!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: Report from Vegas, WTT & Silver College [Re: usawks1] #109886 06/13/07 02:49 AM
S
steph Offline
S
Randy , I just love your reports ! \:\)

Yep, he and Jake landed at KCI monday am , and headed straight to Gold's to hit the Sauna !!! :)....then a load of laundry, re-packed, and headed to Hays.

He looks a little beat up ( 2 black eyes ), but we are proud of him.

Re: Report from Vegas, WTT & Silver College [Re: steph] #109890 06/13/07 01:28 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Steph ... yes he does look pummeled! His spirit however, wasn't damaged!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison

Moderated by  Coach T.Gonzales 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 175 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)