Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Univeristy of Central Oklahoma - Roster/Schedule #111892 09/13/07 10:27 PM
C
CoachEd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Here is the Schedule and Roster for UCO, the Returning DII National Champions (That ring is real nice)

I am very proud to be the Mother of two wrestlers on the roster!

Good Luck UCO and the Edison Brothers and Alvin Metcalf all from KS!

UCO 2007-2008 Roster

Trey Branscum 5-6 133 Fr. Ponca City, Okla. (Ponca City HS)
David Brown 5-11 149 Fr. Edwards A.F.B., Calif. (Desert HS)
Scotty Cayton 6-0 184 Fr. Allen, Texas (Allen HS)
Reggie Douglas 5-10 285 Jr. Arlington, Texas (James Bowie HS/Missouri Baptist)
Jordan Edison 5-9 141 Fr. Wichita, Kan. (Northwest HS)
Jarrett Edison 6-3 197 RFr. Wichita, Kan. (Northwest HS)
Luke Elmore 5-9 149 Jr. Stillwater, Okla. (Stillwater HS/Labette CC)
Kyle Evans 5-9 141 Sr. Edmond, Okla. (North HS)
Dustin Finn 6-3 285 So. Moore, Okla. (Westmoore HS)
Kelly Henderson 5-10 157 Fr. Tahlequah, Okla. (Tahlequah HS)
Heath Jolley 5-11 184 Sr. Skiatook, Okla. (Skiatook HS/NE Oklahoma A&M)
Braden Land 6-2 285 Fr. Edmond, Okla. (North HS)
Jason Leavitt 5-7 157 Sr. Ponca City, Okla. (Ponca City HS/Neosho County CC)
Shawn Ledford 5-11 133 Fr. Pawnee, Okla. (Pawnee HS)
Paul Mayfield 6-1 149 Sr. Ardmore, Okla. (Ardmore HS/Neosho County CC)
Tommy McCarty 6-3 174 Jr. Bristow, Okla. (Bristow HS/Labette CC)
Zack McCloud 5-9 141 Fr. Blanchard, Okla. (Blanchard HS)
Dale McClure 5-10 149 So. Oklahoma City, Okla. (Putnam City HS)
Kenny Meredith 5-9 174 So. Murfreesboro, Tenn. (Blackman HS)
Alvin Metcalf 5-8 165 Jr. Ft. Scott, Kan. (Ft. Scott HS/Labette CC)
Daniel Morrison 5-11 165 So. Ponca City, Okla. (Ponca City HS)
Kelson Phillips 6-0 165 RFr. Kotzebue, Alaska (Kotzebue Middle HS)
Corby Ray 5-11 149 RFr. Sapulpa, Okla. (Sapulpa HS)
Conner Robinson 5-10 157 Fr. Edmond, Okla. (North HS)
Colby Robinson 5-8 149 So. Edmond, Okla. (North HS)
Cody Rowell 5-10 165 So. Duncan, Okla. (Duncan HS)
Derrick San Miguel 5-11 165 So. Norman, Okla. (North HS/Cumberland Univ.)
Brent Sarette 5-11 149 Sr. Plano, Texas (East HS)
Cory Sejera 5-7 149 So. Santa Maria, Calif. (Ernest Righetti HS)
Jason Self 6-0 184 Fr. Oklahoma City, Okla. (Westmoore HS)
Brandon Shelton 5-6 141 So. El Reno, Okla. (El Reno HS/Oklahoma State)
Zach Sikes 5-9 165 So. Perry, Okla. (Perry HS)
Michael Walkup 5-6 133 RFr. Oklahoma City, Okla. (Putnam City HS)
Andrew Yalcintas 5-5 141 Fr. Oklahoma City, Okla. (Putnam City HS)
Tyler Zukerman 5-7 125 So. Lawton, Okla. (MacArthur HS)

UCO 2007-2008 Schedule
Date Opponent Location Time (CST) Results Media
Wed, Oct 24 Bronze-Blue Intrasquad Edmond, Okla. 7:00 p.m.
Thu, Nov 01 University of Oklahoma (Intrasquad) at Norman, Okla. 7:00 p.m.
Sun, Nov 11 Central Missouri Open at Warrensburg, Mo. 10:00 a.m.
Sun, Nov 18 Missouri Open at Columbia, Mo. 9:00 a.m.
Fri, Nov 30 - Sat, Dec 01 Las Vegas Invitational at Las Vegas, Nev. 10:00 a.m.
Tue, Dec 04 Oklahoma City University at Oklahoma City, Okla. 7:00 p.m.
Fri, Dec 07 University of Oklahoma Edmond, Okla. 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Jan 05 Lone Star Duals at Grand Prairie, Texas TBA
Sat, Jan 12 - Sun, Jan 13 NWCA National Duals at Cedar Rapids, Iowa 9:00 a.m.
Thu, Jan 17 Fort Hays State at Hays, Kan. 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Jan 19 Nebraska-Kearney Edmond, Okla. 8:00 p.m.
Thu, Jan 24 Adams State at Alamosa, Colo. 7:00 p.m.
Western State Duals

Sat, Jan 26 Mesa State at Gunnison, Colo. 9:00 a.m.
Sat, Jan 26 Grand Canyon at Gunnison, Colo. 11:00 a.m.
Sat, Jan 26 University of Findlay at Gunnison, Colo. 1:00 p.m.
Sat, Jan 26 Western State at Gunnison, Colo. 7:30 p.m.

Fri, Feb 01 Nebraska-Omaha Edmond, Okla. 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Feb 09 Truman State at Kirksville, Mo. 3:00 p.m.
Thu, Feb 14 University of Central Missouri Edmond, Okla. 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Feb 16 McKendree College Edmond, Okla. 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Mar 01 NCAA Division II Midwest Regional at Indianapolis, Ind. TBA
Fri, Mar 14 - Sat, Mar 15 NCAA Division II National Tournament at Cedar Rapids, Iowa TBA

Re: Univeristy of Central Oklahoma - Roster/Schedule [Re: CoachEd] #111893 09/13/07 10:55 PM
D
Disney Offline
D
How are the boys liking it down there? Did Jarrett finally start to put on some muscle? (joke)

Re: Univeristy of Central Oklahoma - Roster/Schedule [Re: Disney] #111894 09/14/07 02:32 AM
C
CoachEd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
They loooooooove it. They have started conditioning and everyone is doing ok. They have a house down there and a roommate. They need one more and then they are set. Now if they don't kill each other, everything will be fine. They love Edmond and the coaches and the team. All in all, we are extremely happy with their choices.

Congrats to Atticus and Big Steve. We will be istening and watching for them now and in the future. I know you are so proud as well!

Go look up north. But we will always remember where Atticus is really from.

Ms. Jenni

Re: Univeristy of Central Oklahoma - Roster/Schedule [Re: CoachEd] #111895 09/14/07 02:35 AM
C
CoachEd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
OOPS, I forgot. No, Jarrett is kind of skinny and weak. NOT! Jordan is growing too. He seems to have some height to still put on but Jarrett is probably as tall as he will get and 197 seems to be a good weight for him. Thanks for asking about them Barry. Hope they are treating you well up there in the big show.

The county is still the same, even without you. lol

Re: Univeristy of Central Oklahoma - Roster/Schedule [Re: CoachEd] #111896 09/14/07 02:49 AM
coach craig Offline
It looks like another good season for the Broncs. I can't wait to see how the Edison brothers do.

Go Broncs!!!

Mrs. Jenni can you have the boys look after my boy from Pawnee? Have Jarrett keep him in line.

Coach Craig

Re: Univeristy of Central Oklahoma - Roster/Schedule [Re: coach craig] #111899 09/14/07 03:18 AM
C
CoachEd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Coach Craig,

You know your Pawnee boy IS the roommate? Don't worry, they are looking out for each other. They depend on each other for food, so they always know where the other one is...lol From the phone conversations I have had to endure, I somehow think that Shawn and Jarrett will be making a new movie...Goofy and Goofier, the wrestlers.

He seems like a great guy. Glad to have him in the house. If you ever need a place to stay, just call on them.

Ms. Jenni

Can't wait for the season to start. I miss everyone in the wrestling family.

Last edited by CoachEd; 09/14/07 03:19 AM.
Re: Univeristy of Central Oklahoma - Roster/Schedule [Re: CoachEd] #112786 10/22/07 09:48 PM
C
CoachEd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Title Defense

EDMOND (Oct. 22) -- Central Oklahoma head coach David James has plenty of experience in preparing a team for a title defense and that knowledge will come in handy for the Bronchos in 2007-08.

James led UCO to its 15th national championship last year -- including the 12th in his 25-year tenure -- and the Bronchos will once again be one of the main contenders for the NCAA Division II crown this season despite the departure of five starters, including four All-Americans.

UCO has had national championship runs of two, four and four straight under James’ guidance and the veteran skipper is well aware of the challenges his team will face this season.

"One of the main things we have to keep in perspective is that 2007 is over with," said James, whose team will be in action at 7 p.m. Wednesday for the annual Bronze-Blue intrasquad match at Hamilton Field House. "Last year’s team won the national championship and this year’s team hasn’t done anything yet.

"We’ve obviously got a bullseye on our back as the defending champion, but that goes with the territory and it’s an added challenge for this group. You’ve got to deal with that pressure, but it’s not the first time for our program to experience it."

UCO has five starters back from last year’s 15-4 team that won its 17th Midwest Regional title in 18 years en route to the national title, including four All-Americans and one national qualifier.

That group gives the Bronchos a solid core to build around, but there’s plenty of questions to be answered in filling out the lineup.

"We’ve got a young squad overall," said James, who has 28 freshmen, redshirt freshmen and sophomores on his 38-man roster. "We’ve got five starters back and those guys are going to need to repeat their performance of last year or better it.

"The big question is the five guys who are gonna be new starters. We’re certainly capable at those weights, but we’re going to be awfully young and inexperienced at some of them."

Leading UCO’s quest for a repeat championship are team captains and senior All-Americans Kyle Evans (141), Jason Leavitt (157) and Heath Jolley (184). Evans was a perfect 39-0 in taking the gold medal last year, while Leavitt was runner-up and Jolley fifth.

Also back from last year are national runner-up Tyler Zukerman (125) and national qualifier Daniel Morrison, who is dropping down from 174 to 165 this season.

Those returners plus the presence of several talented redshirt freshmen, newcomers and lettermen anxious to step into the starting lineup has UCO ready for another banner season.

"We want to be a team in the end that has a legitimate, realistic chance of winning the national championship," James said. "This team has a chance to do that, but it’s going to take a lot of work and we’re ready to see what will happen."

Here’s a weight-by-weight look at UCO for 2007-08:

141 Pounds

UCO showcases one of the best in the country at any level here in senior star Kyle Evans, a three-time All-American and the defending national champion who is coming off an unbeaten season.

A three-time Midwest Regional champion, Evans was 39-0 last year and has won 61 of his last 63 matches. He’s as focused as ever and is poised to end his career with another dominating season.

UCO is inexperienced behind Evans, with redshirt freshman Dale McClure and rookies Jordan Edison and Zack McCloud providing depth.

Coach James Says: "What Kyle did last year speaks for itself. What I’ve seen since then is he hasn’t rested on that and he worked hard in the summer and the offseason. The big key with Kyle is Kyle himself, keeping a good mindset and continuing to work hard."

197 Pounds

Easily the thinnest weight on the team, with redshirt freshman Jarrett Edison the only name listed here.

The athletic Edison showed great promise and made tremendous progress during his redshirt year, showcased by a runner-up finish to starter Heath Jolley at the Fort Hays State Open. Still, he’s untested as a starter and must stay healthy.

Coach James Says: "Heath’s move to 184 has opened the door for Jarrett. He did a good job in open tournaments last year, but the concern is he’s young. Instead of getting experience we need him to be productive in a starting role. He’s talented, knows how to wrestle for a big guy and has put in the work."

UCO Blue and Gold Scrimmage #112853 10/25/07 04:11 AM
C
CoachEd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Blue Tops Bronze In Intrasquad

EDMOND (Oct. 24) – All-American Heath Jolley’s first-period fall capped a five-match winning streak that carried the Blue team to 29-19 victory over the Bronze in Central Oklahoma’s annual intrasquad wrestling dual Wednesday night at Hamilton Field House.

Jolley, a fifth-place national finisher at 197 pounds last year who is dropping to 184 this season, piled up a 7-1 lead before pinning Scott Cayton in 2:29 as the Blue used the late rally to overcome a 16-8 deficit.

The defending national champion Bronchos, ranked No. 1 in the preseason NCAA Division II poll that came out Tuesday, showcased the 2007-08 team with 12 matches. UCO will have another intrasquad dual Nov. 1 in Norman and officially opens the season Nov. 11 at the Central Missouri Open.

“I saw a lot of good things, but it’s obviously early and we’ve got a long road ahead of us,” said 26th-year head coach David James. “Our conditioning wasn’t as good as I’d like it to be and there were some places where we weren’t aggressive enough, but overall it was a pretty good outing and I liked what I saw.”

Three of UCO’s four returning All-Americans were in action and neither was tested.

In addition to Jolley’s fall, returning national champion Kyle Evans at 141 and Tyler Zukerman at 125 – both ranked No. 1 in the preseason – rolled to easy wins.

Evans had four near-falls and two takedowns in a 15-0 shutout that ended early in the second period and Zukerman racked up four takedowns and two near-falls in a 16-3 rout.

The Blue team also got major decisions from brothers Jarrett and Jordan Edison, with freshman Jordan a 10-1 winner at 141 and redshirt freshman Jarrett a 10-2 victor at 197.

The Bronze led 16-8 after Brent Sarette’s 10-7 win over Luke Elmore at 149, but the Blue won the next five matches to pull out the win. Kelly Henderson started the rally with an 8-6 victory at 157, Alvin Metcalf and Zach Sikes won back-to-back matches at 165 and Tommy McCarty prevailed at 174 before Jolley ended the streak with his fall.

125: Tyler Zukerman, Bronze, major dec. Nick Rice, 16-3.
141: Jordan Edison, Blue, major dec. Zack McClure, 10-1.
141: Kyle Evans, Bronze, tech. fall Dale McClure, 15-0 (3:19).
149: Colby Robinson, Bronze, major dec. Corby Ray, 11-3.
149: Brent Sarette, Bronze, dec. Luke Elmore, 10-7.
157: Kelly Henderson, Blue, dec. Conner Robinson, 8-6.
165: Alvin Metcalf, Blue, dec. Cody Rowell, 10-5.
165: Zach Sikes, Blue, pinned Kelson Phillips, 6:31.
174: Tommy McCarty, Blue, dec. Kenny Meredith, 3-0.
184: Heath Jolley, Blue, pinned Scotty Cayton, 2:29
197: Jarrett Edison, Blue, major dec. Jon Wechter, 10-2
285: Reggie Douglas, Bronze, dec. Braden Land, 4-1.

Re: UCO Blue and Gold Scrimmage [Re: CoachEd] #112864 10/25/07 01:56 PM
Mike Furches Offline
This is great news for both wrestlers, go Edison's!

Re: UCO Blue and Gold Scrimmage [Re: Mike Furches] #112896 10/26/07 06:24 PM
F
Former Kansan Offline
F
Great job Edison Brothers.

Re: UCO Blue and Gold Scrimmage [Re: Mike Furches] #112928 10/28/07 06:16 PM
C
CoachEd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
As I looked over my post, in my excitement the other night I accidently left out that Alvin Metcalf, also a great Kansas wrestler, had an awesome win in the Blue and Gold Scrimmage. Way to go Alvin. I promise to never leave you off again.

Ms Jenni

Re: UCO Blue and Gold Scrimmage [Re: CoachEd] #112995 10/30/07 06:14 PM
Larry Perez Offline
Looks like the boys are doing well. I wish both of them luck in this coming season. It's pretty sweet to see both of them at the same school. I'm sure I'll be seeing them around!

Re: UCO Blue and Gold Scrimmage [Re: Larry Perez] #112997 10/30/07 06:37 PM
C
CoachEd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks Larry! I can't wait to see you as well. You have always been one of my favorites...especially after you kept me safe in the boys dorms in Fargo, in the laundry room. lol

Good Luck to you and your Lopers...but not too much luck ;\)

Ms. Jenni

Re: UCO Blue and Gold Scrimmage [Re: Mike Furches] #113649 11/19/07 06:27 AM
C
CoachEd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I just got back from Missouri Open... What a great day. My boys looked a little flat last week after all the weight cutting but really redeamed themselves this week. Jarrett got his pic with this article and the two he lost were both by 1 point. Jordan has been working hard to keep his weight at 141 and wrestled very well today and was only 1 match away from the medal rounds.

I know Alvin wrestled but it was hard to keep up as MU doesn't have great sitting options.

I saw Jesse Strawn wrestle, he looks great. Nick Shumate got 5th in 141, also doing very well.

Many KS boys are doing great but I can't think of more at this late hour. It is such to joy to see them all fulfilling there dreams on the mat.

Hope to see many more at Ft. Hays in 2 weeks.

Rookie Leads Bronchos
Courtesy: UCO Media Relations
Release: 11/18/2007

Courtesy: UCO Photo Services
http://www.bronchosports.com/
Jarrett Edison

COLUMBIA, Mo. (Nov. 18) -- Freshman Trey Branscum's runner-up showing was the best finish for injury-plagued Central Oklahoma at the rugged Missouri Open here Sunday.

The defending national champion Bronchos had four top-six placers in the all-day tournament that attracted individuals from more than 20 teams, with Branscum finishing second at 133 pounds in the freshman-sophomore division to lead the way. Jarrett Edison was fourth at 197 in the freshman-sophomore portion of the tournament, while 149 Colby Robinson and 184 Heath Jolley both took sixth in the open division.

UCO competed without several front-liners, who sat out with nagging injuries. National champion Kyle Evans (141), All-American Tyler Zukerman (125), Zach Sikes (165) and Tommy McCarty (174) were among those who didn't wrestle for the Bronchos in the second open tournament of the season.

"It was a tough tournament and we didn't have a great outing by any means," UCO coach David James said. "The big thing is we had a lot of our younger guys get more mat time and additional experience. We still have to learn how to win what I call the "tough" matches and that's something we're going to work on."

Branscum, the frontrunner to take over as the starter at 133 this season, won four matches in making the finals. The rookie opened with a 16-2 major decision, following with an 8-4 second-round win, scored a second-period fall in the quarterfinals and pulled out an 8-6 semifinal victory before falling to McKendree's Wade Lowe 5-1 for the title.

Edison won six matches in taking third as the redshirt freshman bounced back strong from an early-round loss. He opened the tournament with a second-period fall, then lost 2-1 in the second round before winning five straight matches by a combined 32-5 margin to make the consolation finals before losing a 6-5 decision to John Schoen of Northwestern.

Robinson fell to Northwestern's top-ranked Ryan Lang in the quarterfinals, coming back with two bonus-point wins in the consolations before losing two straight to take sixth. Jolley made it to the semifinals at 184, then dropped three straight matches in taking sixth.

The Bronchos are idle this weekend before returning to action at the Fort Hays State Open on Dec. 1.

Missouri Open
Freshman-Sophomore Division
Championship Finals
133 - Wade Lowe, McKendree, dec. Trey Branscum, UCO, 5-1.

Consolation Finals
197 - John Schoen, Northwestern, dec. Jarrett Edison, UCO, 6-5.

Open Division
Fifth Place
149 - Ryan Moyer, Lindenwood, dec. Colby Robinson, UCO, 10-7 (SV).
184 - Dave Gleissner, Illinois, dec. Heath Jolley, 9-2.

Re: UCO Blue and Gold Scrimmage [Re: CoachEd] #116289 01/21/08 08:43 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Rowell To The Rescue
Release: 01/19/2008

EDMOND (Jan. 19) – Cody Rowell’s stunning second-period fall propelled No. 3-ranked Central Oklahoma past No. 1 Nebraska-Kearney, 23-16, in a Saturday night showdown of NCAA Division II wrestling powers at Hamilton Field House.

Rowell pinned fourth-ranked Taylor May in 4:49 of their 165-pound battle to give the Bronchos a 17-10 lead and the two teams split the last four matches to leave UCO with its second win in a week over the Lopers.

The Bronchos, who edged UNK 21-19 in the third-place match of the NWCA Division II National Duals last Sunday in Cedar Falls, Iowa, improved to 8-3 with their eight win in nine outings.

UCO also got a technical fall from 141-pounder Kyle Evans, while 184 Heath Jolley and 197 Jarrett Edison both had easy wins and undefeated Tim Elliott picked up a forfeit at 133 as the Bronchos overcame two one-point losses and an overtime defeat.

Rowell’s win was the biggest as the Duncan sophomore decked May late in the second period. May had escaped early in the second stanza to break a scoreless tie, with Rowell taking May down to his back and scoring the pin with just 11 seconds left in the period to the delight of the roaring crowd.

“Cody came through for us, no doubt about it,” said UCO coach David James, who picked up his 301st career win. “He did a great job getting the takedown and we were happy with that, but he just kept going and put him on his back to get a big fall.

“We lost some close matches that we’ve got to find a way to win, but overall I was pretty pleased with our effort.”

UNK took a 4-0 lead with a major decision in the opening match at 125, then Elliott moved to 10-0 with his forfeit at 133 to put the Bronchos on top to stay. The top-ranked Evans followed with his eight technical fall of the season, racking up four near-falls en route to a 17-0 rout to make it 11-4.

The Lopers pulled out tough wins in the next two matches, getting a 3-2 victory from No. 8 Ryan Etherton over No. 7 Colby Robinson at 149 and a 3-1 sudden-victory decision from No. 2 Joe Ellenberger over fifth-rated Jason Leavitt at 157 to make it 11-10.

Rowell notched his clutch fall in the next match to increase the lead to 17-11, then UNK’s Keenan McCurdy came back with a 4-3 win over Daniel Morrison at 174 to pull the Lopers within 17-14.

UCO clinched it with wins by Jolley and Edison.

Jolley used a second-period near-fall to overcome a 3-2 deficit and added two third-period takedowns for an 11-4 triumph at 184 and Edison piled up four minutes riding time in a methodical 5-0 decision at 197 that wrapped up the dual.

Top-ranked and defending national champion Tervel Dlagnev downed Dustin Finn 10-5 in the final match to arrange the final score.

UCO goes back on the road next week, traveling to Alamoso, Colo.to meet No. 5-ranked Adams State next Thursday before going on to Gunnison on Saturday for the Western State Duals.

UCO 23, Nebraska-Kearney 16
125: Michael Abril, UNK, major dec. Nick Rice, 22-8.
133: Tim Elliott, UCO, won by forfeit.
141: Kyle Evans, UCO, tech. fall Cody Lambotte, 17-0 (4:37).
149: Ryan Etherton, UNK, dec. Colby Robinson, 3-2.
157: Joe Ellenberger, UNK, dec. Jason Leavitt, 3-1 (SV).
165: Cody Rowell, UCO, pinned Taylor May, 4:49.
174: Keenan McCurdy, UNK, dec. Daniel Morrison, 4-3.
184: Heath Jolley, UCO, dec. Paul Sutton, 11-4.
197: Jarrett Edison, UCO, dec. Justin McKain, 5-0.
285: Tervel Dlagnev, UNK, dec. Dustin Finn, 10-5.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Univeristy of Central Oklahoma - Roster/Schedule [Re: CoachEd] #116626 01/25/08 02:44 PM
usawks1 Offline

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Univeristy of Central Oklahoma - Roster/Schedule [Re: usawks1] #116732 01/27/08 01:56 AM
C
CoachEd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Grapplers Win Three

Release: 01/26/2008
Gunnison, Colo. (Jan. 26) – Dustin Finn’s opening-minute fall capped a three-match rally that carried Central Oklahoma to a surprisingly tough 29-18 over New Mexico Highlands here Saturday afternoon during the Western State Duals.

The No. 3-ranked Bronchos opened the day with a forfeit-filled 40-9 rout of Grand Canyon, then won the final three matches to overcome an 18-15 deficit against the unranked Cowboys before getting four bonus-point wins in a 32-12 triumph over No. 15 Findlay.

UCO, now 11-4 on the season, ends the day with a showdown against the host and No. 6-ranked Mountaineers at 8:30 p.m.

UCO took an early 11-0 lead against the Cowboys, but NMHU won four of the next five matches to go on top 18-15 before the Bronchos rallied.

Heath Jolley started the comeback with a 20-5 technical fall at 184 pounds to give UCO a 20-15 lead and Jarrett Edison clinched the dual with a wild 12-8 win at 197 before Finn needed just 50 seconds to notch his team-leading 10th fall of the season at heavyweight.

The Bronchos also got a 24-9 technical fall from 133 Tim Elliott and a 20-6 major decision from 149 Brent Sarette, with NMHU getting two falls in taking its 18-15 lead.

UCO picked up six forfeits against Grand Canyon, a first-year program, with 157 Jason Leavitt and Finn winning regular decisions.

The Bronchos jumped out to a 24-0 lead over Findlay, getting a 13-4 major decision from 125 Nick Rice and first-period falls from 141 Kyle Evans and 149 Colby Richardson in addition to a forfeit at 133.

The Oilers won the next three weights to pull within 24-12, but UCO won the final bouts. Jolley rolled to an 11-2 major decision and Edison had a 10-5 victory before the fifth-ranked Finn edged the fourth-rated Travis Clark 3-2 in the final match.

UCO 40, Grand Canyon 9
125: Tony Covert, GC, dec. Nick Rice, 8-2.
141: Kyle Evans, UCO, won by forfeit.
149: Colby Robinson, UCO, won by forfeit.
157: Jason Leavitt, UCO, dec. Stephen Towne, 9-4.
165: Cody Rowell, UCO, major dec. Dan Grayson, 12-3.
174: Jack Porter, GC, by disqualification over Daniel Morrison.
184: Heath Jolley, UCO, won by forfeit.
197: Jarrett Edison, UCO, won by forfeit.
285: Dustin Finn, UCO, dec. Jed Jobe, 3-2.

UCO 29, New Mexico Highlands 18
125: Nick Rice, UCO, won by forfeit.
133: Tim Elliott, UCO, tech. fall Donovan Troup, 24-9.
141: Ross Mountour, NHHU, pinned Trey Branscum, 3:39.
149: Brent Sarette, UCO, major dec. Nick Sanchez, 20-6.
157: Trey Saxon, NMHU, pinned Jason Leavitt, 5:48.
165: Chris Ridings, NMHU, dec. Cody Rowell, 5-4.
174: Jesse Feinold, NMHU, dec. Daniel Morrison, 6-3.
184: Heath Jolley, UCO, tech. fall Adam Pacheco, 20-5.
197: Jarrett Edison, UCO, dec. Charles Saguil, 12-8.
285: Dustin Finn, UCO, pinned Jesse Boggs, 0:50.

UCO 32, Findlay 12
125: Nick Rice, UCO, major dec. Alex Schumaker, 13-4..
141: Kyle Evans, UCO, pinned Josh Falk, 1:56.
149: Colby Robinson, UCO, pinned Mike Peraino, 2:36.
157: Antonio Guerra, UF, pinned Jason Leavitt, 4:04.
165: Justin Shannon, UF, dec. Cody Rowell, 6-2.
174: Jeff Havelka, UF, dec. Daniel Morrison, 6-1.
184: Heath Jolley, UCO, major dec. Josh Fox, 11-2.
197: Jarrett Edison, UCO, dec. Dan Stevenson, 10-5.
285: Dustin Finn, UCO, dec. Travis Clark, 3-2.

Re: UCO Blue and Gold Scrimmage [Re: Mike Furches] #117566 02/02/08 11:48 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Bronchos Fall

Release: 02/01/2008

Tim Elliott

EDMOND (Feb. 1) – Jason Leavitt’s dramatic overtime victory gave Central Oklahoma a short-lived lead before No. 2-ranked Nebraska-Omaha stormed back to take the last five matches and hand the No. 3 Bronchos a 26-9 setback Friday night at Hamilton Field House.

The showdown between the two teams who have won the last six NCAA Division II national championships looked like it might be another nail-biter after Leavitt pulled out a 6-5 win at 157 pounds to give UCO a 9-8 lead, but UNO’s upper-weight superiority paid off.

The Bronchos were still clinging to hope when Jarrett Edison used a takedown with five seconds left to tie No. 2-ranked Jacob Marrs and force overtime in the 197-pound bout, but Marrs took Edison to his back and scored a fall just 19 seconds in the sudden-victory period to give UNO an insurmountable 23-9 lead.

UCO coming back at 133 to get a 9-3 win from Tim Elliott on the strength of three takedowns.

Nebraska-Omaha 26, Central Oklahoma 9
125: Cody Garcia, UNO, major dec. Nick Rice, 15-2.
133: Tim Elliott, UCO, dec. Mario Morgan, 9-3.
174: Ross Taplin, UNO, dec. Daniel Morrison, 8-4.
197: Jacob Marrs, UNO, pinned Jarrett Edison, 7:19 (SV).
285: Tony Lewis, UNO, dec. Dustin Finn, 5-3.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: UCO Blue and Gold Scrimmage [Re: RichardDSalyer] #118047 02/06/08 08:55 PM
W
wildcatfb16 Offline
W
I noticed that Nick Rice is filling the 125 spot at Central Oklahoma--what happened to Tyler Zuckerman???

Re: UCO Blue and Gold Scrimmage [Re: wildcatfb16] #118150 02/08/08 12:03 AM
C
CoachEd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Bronchos Fall To Sixth
Feb. 7) -- Central Oklahoma fell to sixth in the NCAA Division II Wrestling Coaches' Association poll that was released Thursday.

The defending national champion Bronchos were No. 3 in the rankings two weeks ago, but dropped three spots after losing duals to Adams State, Nebraska-Omaha and Western State. UCO, 11-6 on the season, returns to action Saturday with a 3 p.m. match at Truman State in Kirksville, Mo.

Minnesota State-Mankato reached No. 1 for the first time in the NCAA Division II rankings two weeks ago and stayed there by a slim two-point margin over UNO, with those two teams set to square off Saturday night in Omaha. MSU-Mankato received five of the eight first-place votes cast in finishing with 157 points, while UNO had the remaining three first-place votes and 155 points.

Adams State its win over UCO and Western State to move to No. 3 in the poll with 136 points, one ahead of Nebraska-Kearney. WSC is fifth, followed by the Bronchos, Newberry (S.C.), Pittsburgh-Johnstown (Pa.), Upper Iowa and Ashland (Ohio).

UCO has six individuals ranked, topped by defending champion at No. 1 Kyle Evans at 141 pounds. Dustin Finn is fourth at heavyweight, while 133 Tim Elliott and 184 Heath Jolley are both sixth, 197 Jarrett Edison seventh and 149 Colby Robinson eighth.

The NCAA Division II Wrestling Championships will be held March 14-15 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and hosted by Upper Iowa.

The top 20 poll, with points and their last ranking:

Rank School (State) Points
1. Minnesota State-Mankato 157
2. Nebraska-Omaha 155
3. Adams State (Colo.) 136
4. Nebraska-Kearney 135
5. Western State (Colo.) 126
6. Central Oklahoma 125

Others receiving votes: Augustana (S.D.), Central Missouri, Fort Hays State (Kan.), Shippensburg (Pa.).

NCAA Division II
Individual Rankings

125 Pounds
1. Cody Garcia, Nebraska-Omaha

133 Pounds
6. Tim Elliott, Central Oklahoma

174 Pounds
4. Ross Taplin, Nebraska-Omaha

197 Pounds
2. Jacob Marrs, Nebraska-Omaha
7. Jarrett Edison, Central Oklahoma

285 Pounds
6. Tony Lewis, Nebraska-Omaha

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 140 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)