Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pratt vs. Neosho 11/29/07 #113954 11/30/07 02:14 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline OP
OP Offline
B
125- Butler, N, WBD Edgmon 9-8
133- Kendall, N, WBD Beebe 7-2
*141- Carillo, P, WBMD Washington 13-3
149- Hentzen, P, WBMD Jaquess 13-2
157- Burton, N, WBD S.Markey 8-2
165- Carney, N, WBD Schmult 7-2
174- Green, N, WBF Thomas F-2:55
184- Cross, N, WBD Fairley 4-2
197- Wilkinson, P, WBD Nixon 6-4 SV2
285- Wintons, N, WBD Mock 6-4

Pratt 11 Neosho 24

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Pratt vs. Neosho 11/29/07 [Re: Bronco Wrestler] #114020 12/01/07 08:35 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Neosho downs PCC

Published: Friday, November 30, 2007 12:34 PM CST

PCC head wrestling coach Chas Thompson felt his Beavers could pull an upset Thursday in the Beaver Dome.

The nation's fourth-ranked team, Neosho County, who also had five ranked wrestlers and one of the top non-Division I wrestling recruiting classes in the nation, was PCC's guest.

Thompson's Beavers weren't rude hosts, falling 24-11.

"I thought we should have won tonight" said Thompson. "I thought we were going to take the dual."

Was he happy?

"No, not at all," he said. "A few of them looked good, but a couple of guys wanted to wrestle their way. I told them a few minutes ago, I have been watching this sport my entire life. I grew up on it. If you just listen to me, I'll take you to the promised land; but some of them want to do their own thing. Instead of trying to ride the guy a couple more seconds, they just wanted to cut their feet and in a couple of other instances my guys weren't listening to me about techniques we know and practice."

Two dominating performances gave PCC the early lead.

Andrew Carrillo's 13-3 victory over Danny Washington at 141 started the Beavers off.

Carrillo did his damage over the third period, adding the last eight points to his 5-1 second-period lead.

Zach Hentzen disposed of Ty Jacques, 13-2, in their 149-pound confrontation.

Hentzen's 11-2 lead to conclude the first period proved to be insurmountable.

"Hentzen looked great," said Thompson. "He went out there with confidence. Sometimes he goes out there and he's kind of slow when he wins. Sometimes he goes out there and hits on his flashy stuff and wins. You never know what kind of Zach you are going to see sometimes, but tonight you saw the aggressive, high point scoring Hentzen."

The wins did not provide PCC with momentum.

They lost the next four matches - three by decision and one by pin - and trailed 15-8.

The Beavers had opportunities the final four matches.

Carl Wilkinson, PCC's 197 pounder, battled Daunte Nixon.

Wilkinson entered the match ranked fifth in NJCAA Division I.

Following a scoreless first period, the pair cautiously wandered through the second.

Nixon held a 2-1 lead heading into the third.

Starting down to open the period, Wilkinson escaped the first five seconds, tying the match at 2-2. It was left that way forcing overtime.

Wilkinson out-scored Nixon 4-2 in three extra sessions to post a 4-2 victory.

The sophomore's win brought PCC to within four, 15-11.

"I told Carl before the match that kid is wet behind the ears," said Thompson. "Carl has a year on him. He took that in mind and I think he pushed the pace."

Matt Mock stepped in against the Panther's seventh-ranked 285-pounder, Christian Wintons.

Tied at 2-2 in the second, Wintons picked up two points on a reversal with 1:02 left in the period.

He went the reversal route again in the third, building a three-point, 6-3, edge.

Mock earned an escape before falling 6-4.

Despite the setback, PCC still had a chance to jump back on top.

Tommy Edgmon, an ex-Neosho wrestler, met third-ranked Donte Butler - a former high school All-American.

Edgmon, who entered the match the No. 8 125-pounder in the country, led 2-1 after one period and 5-2 entering the third.

Butler tied the match 5-5 then Edgmon went back on top 6-5.

With 55 seconds remaining, Butler's takedown propelled him in front 7-6.

Twelve seconds later, Edgmon re-knotted the match 7-7 following an escape.

They started on their feet the final 22 seconds.

Butler shot and earned a takedown, snapping the deadlock and taking a two-point 9-7 advantage.

Edgmon then recorded an escape and appeared to have Butler in trouble with under five seconds left, but time expired.

The loss prevented the Beavers from overtaking the Panthers.

Kirk Fairly, stepping in for Mike Maley at 184, fell 4-2 to Tim Cross.

"I was actually very happy with Kirk Fairly," said Thompson. "Kirk looked good. That kid (Cross) is a tough kid."

The loss was PCC's second to a ranked opponent this season. November 14, they fell to third-ranked Labette Community College.

Saturday, December 1, the Beavers compete in the Fort Hays State Open.

Richard D. Salyer

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 140 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)