Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tragedy in the wrestling community #116169 01/18/08 11:30 PM
J
John Steiger Offline OP
OP Offline
J
A terrible tragedy has happened today in our wrestling family. Brock Pigorsch, who was an assistant wrestling coach here in Herington last year, was killed in an automobile accident today. He was 21 years old. Many of you know Brock and his brother as wrestlers here in Herington...he will be missed. We don't know any other details at this time. Please keep Brock and his family in your thoughts.

Re: Tragedy in the wrestling community [Re: John Steiger] #116171 01/19/08 01:02 AM
G
grandad Offline
G

To the freinds and family of Brock Pigorsch and his brother its a great lost and we are felling the pain along with you and the wrestling family of Herington kansas.
We got a call just after it happened from our grandson that was also on the bus that rolled and was told that a member had been killed. My gandson was a very good freind and was at a lost for words.
Things like this are hard for a family or the freinds to bear but God will look after the family and the others that were there and all that loved and cared for him and the family of wrelsers and the school he loved .

Re: Tragedy in the wrestling community [Re: grandad] #116174 01/19/08 01:17 AM
usawks1 Offline
With all I have in my heart ... my thoughts go out to the family, both personal and wrestling.

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Tragedy in the wrestling community [Re: usawks1] #116179 01/19/08 04:21 AM
maybeimamazed Offline
This is incredibly tragic. All of thoughts and prayers go out to the Pigorsch family and to Railer wrestling family as a whole.

You just kinda wasted my precious time
But don't think twice, it's all right
Bob Dylan, 1963
Re: Tragedy in the wrestling community [Re: maybeimamazed] #116180 01/19/08 04:25 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
Terribly tragic. Another one of our wrestling family gone way to early in life. My heart goes out to the Pigorsch family, and to the Herrington community.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Tragedy in the wrestling community [Re: Nigel Isom] #116184 01/19/08 08:52 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
York College wrestler killed in crash in Iowa
The Associated Press

YORK, Neb. - A York College wrestler died and some of his teammates were hurt in a crash Friday while en route to a meet in western Iowa, officials said.

The van carrying 10 student-athletes and two coaches flipped on Interstate 29 near Onawa, Iowa, about 4:30 p.m, according to the Iowa State Patrol.

Brock Pigorsch, 21, of Herrington, Kan., died in the wreck. The coaches and other wrestlers were treated and released from a hospital in Onawa.

The team was on its way to Northwestern College in Orange City. The meet, scheduled for Saturday, has been canceled.

The cause of the crash is under investigation, officials said.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Tragedy in the wrestling community [Re: RichardDSalyer] #116198 01/19/08 03:59 PM
C
CoachEd Offline
C
How tragic for the family, the team, and everyone in the wrestling family. The thoughts and prayers of the Edison family are with you.

Ms. Jenni

Re: Tragedy in the wrestling community [Re: CoachEd] #116200 01/19/08 05:45 PM
E
esj Offline
E
God be with all involved.Our prayers are with you.

Re: Tragedy in the wrestling community [Re: esj] #116201 01/19/08 05:54 PM
P
papa scarecrow Offline
P
I just watched this kid wrestle last weekend up in Hastings. Brandon is up in Orange City Iowa right now. I guess we as parents take it for granted that the kids are going to get everywhere safely. I think sometimes we forget that wrestling is a sport that takes place in the winter and travel is sometimes dangerous. My thoughts and prayers go out to this young man's family as well as all the parent's who have kids traveling to get to tournaments this weekend.

Jim Goodwin

Re: Tragedy in the wrestling community [Re: papa scarecrow] #116205 01/19/08 06:59 PM
Y
York News-Times Offline
Y
My name is Eric J Eckert and I work for the online department at the local paper here in York. I am also a York College alumni. I just finished a video about the accident for our website and thought some of you would be interested in seeing it. We will also have video of the memorial that will take place on Tuesday morning.
http://www.yorknewstimes.com/pigorsch

Last edited by York News-Times; 01/19/08 07:20 PM.
Re: Tragedy in the wrestling community [Re: York News-Times] #116212 01/19/08 10:44 PM
L
L Grater Offline
L
Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Pigorsch and Phil Martin (Clay Center) family as they deal with the loss of their child and to the York wrestling family. He was a talented young man who had a life ahead of him.

To those who have children it just reminds us to be sure and tell them how much you love them because we just never know!!

You are in our thoughts and prayers in the days and months ahead! If we can do anything for you, please let us know.

Leanna, Danny & Gavin

Re: Tragedy in the wrestling community [Re: L Grater] #116285 01/21/08 04:39 AM
On_the_Mat Offline

Hiawatha Grad Escapes Injury in Wreck that Kills College Teammate

Ike Larson
News Editor

A Hiawatha High School graduate escaped injury Friday in a car accident that killed his collegiate wrestling teammate.

Kelly Johansen, 19, was riding in the York College (Neb.) wrestling team van when it overturned on Interstate 29, en route to a competition in Orange City, Iowa.

The accident killed Brock Pigorsch, 21, of Herington. But Johansen managed to escape unharmed, though he said his arms and knees were sore.

Johansen said the van rolled twice and landed on the driver's side. He was sitting next to Pigorsch, he said.

"I could see the accident coming, but I didn't have time to brace myself," Johansen said. "I have no idea what I hit or where I ended up. I could just hear everybody yelling."

"When the van stopped, we were all scrambling to get out. I looked around before crawling out to make sure everyone was accounted for ... I could see Brock's feet but the rest of him was laying outside under the van. I hollered at the guys when we got out and we lifted the van off of him."

Johansen said Pigorsch was never coherent as they lifted the van off his body. They didn't move him, Johansen said, just covered him with blankets until the emergency helicopter arrived.

A 2007 graduate of Hiawatha High, Johansen was a standout wrestler for the Red Hawks, placing sixth in state his senior year. He wrestles at 184 pounds for York College. He is the son of Kelly and Candy Johansen of Hiawatha.

Wayne Baker, president of York College, told the media Friday that an assistant coach was driving the van and they were pulling a team trailer. He said the accident was caused by several circumstances: a car traveling in front of the York van braked suddenly and the van went in the other lane to avoid the car. Meanwhile, a second car had stopped alongside the road and pedestrian was out in the far lane trying to retrieve an animal. He said the York van tried to miss the pedestrian and veered into the median, which was snow packed.

The weight shift due to the 12 passengers and trailer load caused the van to overturn, Baker said. The other members of the team and the two coaches escaped with minor injuries.

The accident happened on I-29, about 10 miles south of Onawa, Iowa.

"Words cannot express the overwhelming sadness that has made its way on our campus," Baker said. "It is very difficult to lose one of your own in such a way and our hearts break for Brock's family and close friends. I am confident that many are in diligent prayer, and I trust that God's peace will be given in this tragic loss.

Candy Johansen said her son got "lots of hugs" from family when they visited him Saturday.

"I've always prayed that God would assign an angel to each one of my boys," she said. "I believe an angel was watching over him."

-----------------------------------------------------------
Here is a link to the article above from the Hiawatha World Online

http://www.hiawathaworldonline.com/main.asp?SectionID=4&SubSectionID=21&ArticleID=898

http://www.hiawathaworldonline.com/

Re: Tragedy in the wrestling community [Re: On_the_Mat] #116349 01/21/08 11:22 PM
S
Svo69 Offline
S
I have never met this young man. I know nothing of his family, community and/or friends. I'm just a dad who has treked all over Kansas, in inclimate weather (and have had a couple of close calls), to enable my son an opportunity to wrestle in tournaments and duals, throughout his career - not unlike alot of other wrestling parents. I guess the point that I humbly and respectfully make is that I guess that it could have been my son ... my family ... who have had to endure this painful loss ... It brings to mind a saying that I've always been quite fond of: "...But for the grace of God, go I..." No parent should have to endure your loss. My deepest symphathy, regret and condolonce.

Re: Tragedy in the wrestling community [Re: Svo69] #116361 01/22/08 01:29 AM
J
jnichols Offline
J
Brandon Pigorsch wanted me to pass this information on to the wrestling community regarding Brock’s funeral this coming Friday.

Date: January 25th, 2007
Time: 1:00 p.m.
Place: Our Redeemer Lutheran Church
802 E. Trapp St.
Herington, KS 67449

Brandon also informed me that there will be a video commemorating Brock’s life that will be played at the Penwell Gabel Funeral Home from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. before the funeral services. The funeral home is located at 404 S. Broadway, Herington, KS 67449.

Jordan Nichols

Re: Tragedy in the wrestling community [Re: jnichols] #116381 01/22/08 01:13 PM
Shane Koranda Offline
Although I can't be there in body, I will be there in spirit. My thoughts and prayers are with the Pigorschs and the rest of their friends and family.

Even though it was a short time, I can honestly say it was a pleasure to be one of Brock's coaches at Herington. Great kid, hard worker and mischievious behavior that always made you lighten up as a coach.

God be with you Brock and with those that morn your departure! Thanks for letting me coach you for a while.

Shane Koranda
Towanda, Ks.
Re: Tragedy in the wrestling community [Re: Shane Koranda] #116431 01/22/08 06:58 PM
Y
York News-Times Offline
Y
The memorial service was held this morning in York and was very nice. For those who weren't able to attend, there are photos and video located at
http://yorknewstimes.com/pigorsch

Once again, God be with all those family and friends during this difficult time.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 134 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)