Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Re: LIVE ... from Virginia Beach ... it's the [Re: usawks1] #126796 03/30/08 11:50 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
At 171-pounds, it was Ben Bennett of Michigan over Hunter Collins of California with the score, 7-2.

At 189-pounds, it was Oregon's Ryland Geiger over Missouri's Brent Haynes with the win. Geiger by a defensive fall. He was leading 11-6 at the time.

The 215-pound match would be decided in overtime! We had Marcel Dubois of Michigan and Travis Pettengill also of Michigan. In fact the match went to the tie-breaker portion. Pettengill was on bottom and trying to gain the escape when he screamed out in pain! He sucked it up and continued!! Marcel with the 30 second ride. Marcel on bottom and is allowed to escape. Pettengill tries the throw but Dubois counters. Dubois with the win!

The grade point average for the final 28 competitors is a remarkable, 3.31!

At 285-pounds we have Ziad Haddad of Pennsylvania winning the 4-3 decision over Randy Colling of New York.

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: LIVE ... from Virginia Beach ... it's the [Re: usawks1] #126808 03/31/08 12:47 AM
Mike Furches Offline
Congrats to all of the Kansas Boys. Jordan and John Keller are two tough kids that I am especially proud of, a national champion is something special.

Re: LIVE ... from Virginia Beach ... it's the [Re: usawks1] #126810 03/31/08 12:47 AM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Kansas crowns one National Champ, Jordan Keller! And two other All-Americans, Duane Zlatnik and Atticus Disney!

But I must say to all of Team Kansas ... you guys were all tremendous! You are class acts and truly supported each other! You had tons of fun and enjoyed each others company. I hope all you realize that!

And what a fine group of parents too!

I will share more but we have a team meeting in 10 minutes ... I shouldn't be late!!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: LIVE ... from Virginia Beach ... it's the [Re: usawks1] #126842 03/31/08 03:09 AM
Paratroop Offline
God that was just awesome to read! Felt like i was there! Thanks Randy.

PS. The saying(or something close) I have learned through being on this forum, "Let us prepare our kids for the PATH and not the "path" for our kids" has been a life changing quote and I thank u for it. I loved it when u talked about what u saw with the father, the coach, and the wrestler. Thank u Randy.

B. Star
Lawrence, KS
Sunflower Kids Wrestling Club
"Rivals on the mat, friends in life"
Re: LIVE ... from Virginia Beach ... it's the [Re: Paratroop] #126845 03/31/08 03:13 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
Wow,

Congratulations to Jordan Keller National Champion!!!!
You've represented Kansas well, and are a testament to just how tough Kansas Wrestlers can be.

Same goes for all the Kansas wrestlers representing down there. Duane, Atticus, congrats to you as well.

Randy, thank you so much for the updates, I have been following the last 3 days and its been a real pleasure.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: LIVE ... from Virginia Beach ... it's the [Re: Nigel Isom] #126898 03/31/08 03:17 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys! At times I wonder whether anyone back home it "watching" but I know that you are.

As I look back, I am filled with emotion from the past few days! First, the anticipation of experiences to come, the hopes of the athletes, the uncertainty of doubt, and whether expectations can be filled.

So many of the worries have been taken care of by the Elvin's and Gary Ulmer and I hope they know how much that means to all of us. At least we were returning to familiar ground for some of us!

I recognize that there are a few of you back in Kansas who wished you could be here. I hope through these reports I can ease some of your worries.

The young men were here to wrestle and over all they did that well. I have to feel for Jacob Wagner who couldn't compete because of an injury. And I have to be so proud of one that accomplished his ultimate goal. Jordan Keller was able to achieve what 28 other Kansans had dreamed of.

Most have already left and on there way back to Kansas. The rest of us, leave in a few hours.

I am hearing reports of some pretty severe storms so I hope all are safe!!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: LIVE ... from Virginia Beach ... it's the [Re: usawks1] #126907 03/31/08 05:13 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
 Originally Posted By: usawks1
I have been reminded … reminded of the tremendous impact the sport of wrestling can have on us all!

As I was leaving the arena after this morning session I happened across three men, sharing similar thoughts. They weren’t sharing in a typical fashion but they were sharing in their individual solitude … sharing the same emotions.

First there was the father walking a few feet from his son. He was biting his lower lip. I could see the pride in his face. He had watched his son grow into a young man. He had prepared his son for the journey.

Next there was the high school coach. He couldn’t speak … as he was choked up with emotions. He had spent hours in the mat room encouraging this young man. He had helped to develop both the physical as well as the mental tools it would take to survive.

Then there was the young man. A few minutes earlier, he was thanking those around him for everything they contributed in his life. Now, he sat in a corner chair, at the edge of a wrestling mat. The same mat where he had probably wrestled the final match of his career. The emotions of the moment had overcome all three men.

I am not positive what any of the three were thinking. But I imagine that their thoughts were of closing a chapter. I wish I would have had some magical words for the three. But I didn’t … and probably, I couldn’t share them if I did because of my own emotions.

Often in life, we don’t recognize when one chapter ends and another begins. However, this time it was clear. I trust the young man will embrace this next chapter. And his father and his coach will find some solace in knowing … they have prepared the young man for the path!

Just terrific. You have captured it perfectly. You should write an inspiritational book on the wrestling experience.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: LIVE ... from Virginia Beach ... it's the [Re: Paratroop] #126908 03/31/08 05:19 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
 Originally Posted By: Paratroop
God that was just awesome to read! Felt like i was there! Thanks Randy.

PS. The saying(or something close) I have learned through being on this forum, "Let us prepare our kids for the PATH and not the "path" for our kids" has been a life changing quote and I thank u for it. I loved it when u talked about what u saw with the father, the coach, and the wrestler. Thank u Randy.

Excellent reply to Randy's post. That is a great thought for parents. It is not an easy thing to do but I believe it is the right way to parent. Thank you for that reminder.

Vince Nowak

Re: LIVE ... from Virginia Beach ... it's the [Re: Husker Fan] #126910 03/31/08 05:23 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Congratulations to all these seniors including many who did not wrestle in this tournament and their families. You are an extraordinary group of wrestlers who have great wrestling skill and character. You had excellent family support. You had great high school careers. Good luck in your future endeavors and I hope you all will continue to have great success.

Vince Nowak

Re: LIVE ... from Virginia Beach ... it's the [Re: Husker Fan] #127158 04/02/08 03:58 AM
nurastler Offline
Not to sure if anyone has posted this site yet but you can watch the matches from this tourneyment online.
http://www.flocasts.org/flowrestling/coverage.php?c=231

Re: LIVE ... from Virginia Beach ... it's the [Re: nurastler] #127419 04/05/08 09:37 PM
Crossface King Offline
I had the honor and pleasure of attending this years Sr. Nationals and I had an unbelievable time. The Kansas wrestling family made me feel welcome and a part of the team. The wrestlers represented our state, both on and off the mat, with the highest degree of sportsmanship and goodwill.
The tournament was a great learning experience for me, and hopefully I can pass along the lessons to the wrestlers in our program.
To all of the coaches, the Elvin's, Deyoe, and Randy, thank you for putting togather and participating in such a fine event. Without your efforts, this trip would not have been as fun and smooth operating.
To next years seniors, I challenge all of your to dream big and work harder than ever, and hopefully you can represent Team Kansas next year.

Mr. Jonathan Whisnant
Assistant Coach Wrestling
Goodland High School-USD 352
jwhisnant@usd352.k12.ks.us

Jonathan Whisnant
Goodland High School-USD 352
Assistant Wrestling Coach
jonathan.whisnant@usd352.org
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 141 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,380
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)