Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Congrats to Coach Church #127616 04/09/08 03:27 PM
TeddyBallgame Offline OP
OP Offline
According to the Wichita Eagle this morning, Coach Church is switching positions with the head coach from last year at Wichita Heights....Congrats!

The first impression will be a lasting impression
Re: Congrats to Coach Church [Re: TeddyBallgame] #127628 04/09/08 07:12 PM
F
Falcon Grappler Offline
F
Thanks... It's a great honor to be the Heights Falcon's Head Coach!!! I am very excited about the opportunity to do so!! This school has wrestling tradition and I want to bring it back.

I am now chomping at the bit for November of 2008 to arrive!!!!!!!

Michael Church - The young one \:\)
Re: Congrats to Coach Church [Re: Falcon Grappler] #127695 04/10/08 04:51 PM
F
Falcon Grappler Offline
F
http://blogs.varsitykansas.com/blog/2008/04/09/the-coaching-switch/

Joanna Chadwick is blogging on varsitykansas.com about the coaching change... I am going to put the email I sent to her on here since it has been made public. I have been text messaged, emailed, and called about what happened. I hope this might clear it all up!!! Below is my email reply to her......

"When I took an assistant job at Heights I spoke with Rick Wheeler ahead of time and told him at the end of this first year I would be looking for a head coaching job at the end of the season. I had no clue that I was going to fall in love with Heights High School. However, I had three schools interested in me as a head coach of their programs. I had set up interviews and I was very open about it. I was not trying to hide anything and just wanted to be up front and honest. That’s when Todd came to me with the offer that I never expected in a million years. I am still shocked about it to be honest. An offer I could not refuse!!

He said he would be willing to switch spots with me if Wheeler and Bruce agreed first, and he would be an assistant coach and I would be the new Head Coach at Wichita Heights. This decision was one of the most unselfish decisions I have ever seen in sports. He was really looking out for what he though was best for Heights and the wrestling program and was willing to sacrifice his position to keep me here. That was a very humbling experience for me that taught me a lot of lessons. I never one time asked him to step down for me and never thought that this situation would take place.

I am extremely grateful to Todd, Coach Wheeler and Mr. Deterding for giving me the opportunity to lead the Falcon wrestling team. I believe Wichita Heights student body, staff, and athletic programs are without a doubt the best in the GWAL. I would not want to be anywhere else and there are no better people to work for in the state of Kansas!!!!!

Michael Church

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Chadwick, Joanna - Wichita [mailto:jchadwick@wichitaeagle.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 10:32 AM
To: Mike Church
Subject:

Mike,

Congrats on getting the Heights job. Can you e-mail me a quote on why you guys decided to do this? I'm going to blog on it soon and wanted to add your thoughts.

Thanks!

joanna

Michael Church - The young one \:\)
Re: Congrats to Coach Church [Re: Falcon Grappler] #127700 04/10/08 06:38 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Two things, two wonderful men exemplified here. I really like both Coach Church and Coach Wheeler. There seems to be nothing but promise for this program. Congrats, and soar high.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 164 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,383
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)