Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
FHSU Year-End Banquet #128329 04/25/08 12:56 PM
L
L Grater Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Tiger Wrestling Holds Post-Season Banquet
April 21, 2008

The Fort Hays State wrestling program held its post-season banquet last Friday night inside the new Robbins Alumni Center. The event was co-sponsored by the Tiger Takedown Club and Whiskey Creek, who prepared the meal. Upon completion of the meal, head coach Cody Bickley announced several awards and a season-recap video was shown.

The following awards were presented and voted on by members of the FHSU wrestling team. The Hardest Worker Award went to Shawn Kuhlman. The Most Active Redshirt Award went to Ben Evans. The Most Improved Award went to James Annon. The Tiger Award, which goes to the most dedicated wrestler went to Tyler Gonzales. The Most Falls Award went to Danny Grater, who recorded eight this season. The Best Preseason Lifting Gains Award went to Travis Kuhn and the Best Winning Percentage Award went to Blake Malloy, who finished with a winning percentage of 70.6 percent after going 24-10 this season.

Next up, included the honoring of six Tiger wrestling seniors, who were recognized for their effort in the continued success of the FHSU wrestling program. Seniors recognized included Kyle Patton, Josh Pfannenstiel, Eric Johnson, Lyndon Wagner, Dustin Martin, and Ryan Phillips.

The next order of business included the presentation of certificates of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC) Wrestling Selections. Named to the All-RMAC First Team was Blake Malloy at 174 pounds. Named to the All-RMAC second team were James Annon (141 pounds), Danny Grater (157 pounds), and Tyler Gonzales (197 pounds).

Next came the presentation of certificates for those Tiger Wrestlers named to the RMAC Academic Team. These wrestlers included Josh Peterson, Dylan Loyd, Kyle Patton, Blake Malloy, Shawn Kuhlman, and Danny Grater.

The NWCA Academic All-American awards were presented next. Named to the First Team was Danny Grater. Other academic awards went to Blake Malloy, Shawn Kuhlman, Cody Gillespie, Dylan Loyd, Dustin Martin, Kyle Patton, and Josh Peterson.

Next up at the banquet included recognizing the NWCA All-Academic Team, in which FHSU finished 3rd nationally with a GPA of 3.243. Wrestlers honored for this award included Kyle Patton, James Annon, Danny Grater, Troy Lussenhop, Blake Malloy, Shawn Kuhlman, Tyler Gonzales, Dustin Martin, Brett Cypret, and Cody Gillespie.

Danny Grater (157 pounds), Blake Malloy (174 pounds), and Tyler Gonzales (197 pounds) were next presented with medals for qualifying for the NCAA Division II Wrestling Championships.

Lastly, James Annon was honored for being the lone Tiger All-American this season, in which he finished fifth at 141 pounds at the National Tournament. He went into the event unranked, but finished the tournament with a 4-2 record and defeated the #8, #7, and #4 ranked guys in the country to earn All-American status.

The special evening concluded by showing a season-recap video and special thanks again was sent out to the Tiger Takedown Club members and Whiskey Creek for sponsoring the banquet. It was also announced that anyone interested in becoming a future member of the Tiger Takedown Club should contact Cody Bickley or Les Brown.

Re: FHSU Year-End Banquet [Re: L Grater] #128335 04/25/08 08:47 PM
usawks1 Offline
Congrats to all the Grapplin Tigers!

Many of Ft. Hays wrestlers originated from District 1! I spent a lot of time getting to know those wrestlers and their families. A special spot in my heart goes to Kyle Patton ... I was one of the Kids club coaches who was honored to be associated with this fine young man!!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: FHSU Year-End Banquet [Re: usawks1] #128344 04/26/08 01:54 PM
J
Jon Doe Offline
J
Worth noting that there were approximately 135 people in attendance, with a nice mix of athletes, families and boosters. Great event!

Re: FHSU Year-End Banquet [Re: Jon Doe] #129062 06/05/08 12:13 PM
Devast8r Offline
Congrats to Blake and Tyler! Your hard work, both on and off the mat, are something to be praised and I'm glad that your efforts are paying off. I couldn't think of two more worthy young men to be positive role models and ambassadors of wrestling!

Coach Holloway

"Praise the Lord, my Rock. He trains my hands 4 war & gives my fingers skill 4 battle."-Ps.144:1

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 147 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,939
Posts250,371
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)