Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Suggested Rule Changes for 2009-2010 [Re: Myron Ellegood] #161535 02/22/10 06:16 PM
WillyM Offline
There are two if not three open forums RIGHT NOW cussing and discussing stalling. I have been onthis forum for I think 3 years and I think stalling is the most consistently discussed topic over that period.

It seems current wrestlers, ex-wrestlers, coaches, ex and current, fans and parents, all present their views--and the vast majority all adovacate toughing the rule. Sorry to say, but all I read from refs is the alabi it's ajudgement call, or a quote from a rule book. OK. Let'do it by the rule book, but my judgement is refs control the pace of the match, and if they let the wrestlers rest, be non aggressive, flee the mat, hand fight, tug and pull, grunt and groan, and lots of other slow down tactics--then refs are not doing there job. how many poster have negatively compared Kansas Stalling to other more active refs/states with this issue.

I f refs need help calling stalling, I will call it for them from the bleachers.

This topic surely needs to go as the number one issue to the KSHSAA-----

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Suggested Rule Changes for 2009-2010 [Re: Gary Seibel] #163341 03/03/10 02:56 AM
19K40 Offline
I agree totally with toughening the stall calls. This year was the worst I have seen. Between that and all the time outs, I thought I was watching volleyball or basketball a few times. My fear is if this keeps up there will probably end up being a rule allowing for substitutions and I will have to send the kid to drama classes instead of wrestling camps to better play the refs. I think we all agree it's time to swing that pendulum back to the right and go back to some old school ways when the kids actually had to wrestle, be technically proficent, and be in condition.

Re: Suggested Rule Changes for 2009-2010 [Re: badbo] #173148 10/08/10 08:59 AM
B
bstew Offline
B
Originally Posted By: badbo
I would propose an additional weighin before the placement rounds of all tournaments with an additional pound from the previous weighin. So one day tournaments would have a second weighin, and two day tournaments would have a 3rd. That way the placements rounds would be more representative of kids ability to compete fairly at the weight they are representing, rather than being 15 pounds or so over by the finals. There is a clear difference in the big cutters from Friday of a two day tournament to Saturday night. If we can't have matside weighins this would be a close second. It would eliminate the big cutters and make a fair playing field. And don't give me it would cause kids to starve longer speach. They would only do tha once, then they would realize they cannot cut that much and compete for a WHOLE tournament sucked down and they would move up. Food for thought. Blast away.

I think this would just make it harder for some kids. Yeah some kids are gonna so it one time and quit cuz it was really tough but there are thos hard nosed kids out there that are going to do it if it kills them and its going to end up with someone getting seriously hurt

Re: Suggested Rule Changes for 2009-2010 [Re: bstew] #176181 12/09/10 03:35 PM
H
Hard40sta Offline
H
The way Kansas does their middle school wrestling is a shame. Splitting the season with basketball does nothing more than further deplete the number of potential wrestlers who will go out. The major issue is the ability of different leagues to decide whether they will wrestle early, or late in the season. By going late, it ruins the ability of kids to participate in clubs until very late in the club season. The choice, reduces the number of possible matches middle schoolers will get due to finding other schools going when they do.

But the biggest hurdle to make any changes regarding anything in this forum is that a large margin (I would modestly suggest 85-90%) of the state's ADs are basketball guys. I am not trying to start the BB vs WR argument, but these guys truly: 1) Don't understand the sport; 2) Don't really care to; 3) Will not suggest any changes if they believe that in some way they will negatively effect BB...Period. I have been in those meetings. Additionally, very few changes are proposed by the WCA. And when they are, coaches aren't doing a good job of discussing/convincing/explaining how and why the changes are good for kids to their admin.

This is a systemic issue. We all own some of the blame. At some point we have to get organized and put together a prioritized Master Plan of what needs to be changed, to get the changes we whine about on here to take place. Use the system in place the way it was intended and quit blaming KSHSAA for everything. 'They' (KSHSAA) didn't write the rules, school ADs and Administrators did.

That is where we have to start.

Re: Suggested Rule Changes for 2009-2010 [Re: fromadistance] #188807 04/08/11 11:14 AM
2424 Offline
Thank you very much.

Last edited by 2424; 04/08/11 11:15 AM.

ragnarok ragnarok
Re: Suggested Rule Changes for 2009-2010 [Re: 2424] #189450 04/21/11 08:20 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
". . .Splitting the season with basketball does nothing more than further deplete the number of potential wrestlers who will go out."

My junior high basketball coaches say the opposite; they think it depletes the number of potential basketball players.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Suggested Rule Changes for 2009-2010 [Re: GregMann] #189456 04/22/11 12:48 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
The problem isn't depleting the number of kids for either sport. Except in the smallest schools kids know if they have the size and skills to play basketball or if wrestling is their sport. No one can deny, that in many circumstances, the skill sets are totally different. However, that short little amount of time they call jr high wrestling isn't long enough to introduce a kid who has never wrestled to the sport. It sets them up for failure. The experiences you have had at Norton are unique. Norton, Hoxie, Smith Center, to name a few, and I mean few small schools are unique. They have tradition and a history of success and you guys still live in an area where kids may have a work ethic. Jr High wrestling needs to last a full season, not half. Kansas competes on a national level due to kids club, for most part. Yes, there will be exceptions, but they will be just that. Kansas wrestling will not progress any further until we change this rule. This is bigger then the 500 mile rule and all the others people complain about.

Finally, do you really have any basketball players in Norton??

Re: Suggested Rule Changes for 2009-2010 [Re: John Johnson] #190292 05/25/11 03:41 PM
lazyman_1 Offline
I think our morning weigh-in for a 7pm dual needs to be addressed. This only causes our high school kids to cut more weight than they would if they had 1 hour weigh-in. I know we don't want kids holding weight for the entire day and don't want it to affect classroom studies but I would argue that morning weigh-ins for 7pm dual hurts the high school athletes even more. With a morning weigh-in athletes hold their weight down the entire day before and then after weigh-in the next morning it takes kids all day to recover for a 7pm dual. So now as it stands a high school kid cuts more weight and is worthless for 2 days if not more. 1 hour weigh-ins don't lie, kids are forced to do it the right way so they can be healthy and compete 1 hour later.

College meets are all 1 hour weigh ins for duals and meets for this reason. 1 hour weigh-in has taken a lot of the extreme weight loss out of the college level. In return you have healthier young men. These athletes still go to class and have to perform academically as well.

I always think it is funny when a high school dual is rescheduled due to whatever reason and the weigh-in is pushed up to 1 or 2 hours prior to wrestling. Funny how the big weight cutters on the team are all wrestling up a weight for the dual. Not all but many kids do cut too much weight in Kansas and are doing it by not being healthy.

there are ways around a hydration test / ways to get doctors notes. 1 hour weigh-in is a legitimate way to help young kids maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 160 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)