Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: CoachEd] #137361 01/29/09 11:57 PM
nix Offline
i have been waiting all day to reading some responses on wheather or not it's ok to have girl only tournaments. no one has an opinion on this subject.

as i do not have a problem with a girls only tournament, i do see the point about it not being fair, if all the tournaments were boy's only that would start an uproar.

maybe they need to word it somthing like this,THIS IS AN ALL GIRLS TOURNAMNET BUT BOY'S ARE WELCOME TO ENTER AS WELL.

more than likely you would have no boy's enter the tournament anyway i would hope none entered.

it's like goiing club hoping. there were times when there was no cover charge for the ladies but men had to pay one. fair maybe not but what did you do you paid the cover charge and had fun.

i mean in the end, it's all about the kids. does little johny realy mind the girls are having there own tournament probaly not. jmo

"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent"

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: nix] #137369 01/30/09 12:19 AM
C
CoachEd Offline
C
Thanks nix...I think that is what I wanted to say...really and truly are the guys wanting to join in on our "all girl tourneys"...I doubt it.

Ms. Jenni

If in fact a guy pushed to enter...I imagine we would let him but then that would let in the fact that the girl would be able to refuse to wrestle the boy...just like some schools do when girls are a part of a dual and they forfeit to the girls...
anyway...I am too tired today to get this going but I am open if anyone actually wants to dialogue on it...I doubt it is of that much interest to anyone.

Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: CoachEd] #137857 02/03/09 02:11 PM
2bentleymom Offline OP
OP Offline
First of all there might as well be Boys only tournaments for when a girl shows up in a boys bracket some boy or parent always has something to say about why they should not be there..As the girls get older it gets harder..To say that Girls should not be allowed there own division and tournaments would be like saying all Girls and Boys teams in any sport eg. Basketball should not be allowed lets just put all the kids on one team..Noone is complaining about that.. and lets just get rid of jv and varsity why we are at it I mean we are all at the same level right? Then we can stop bracketing based on ranking too lets just make that open to everyone..If you want the girls to be the same and wreslte in the same league then STOP being so upset when we show up and walk away with the bracket you believe was your childs...

Cara J. Bentley
Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: 2bentleymom] #137868 02/03/09 03:30 PM
Cece Tanner Offline
I think that if it is ok to have girls only tournaments then it should be ok to have boys only tournaments!!! afterall if the girls and their parents want there to be no bias in wrestling then they should agree!! afterall how is it fair that the girls have tournament that the boys cant be in but the boys dont...i mean some religions dont allow boys to touch girls that way so they have to scratch i guess if the girls wanna be at the boys tournaments then they should be expected to be treated like a boy... thats what i tought my son if you are wrestling (boy or girl) wrestle the same!!!!!

Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: 2bentleymom] #137880 02/03/09 04:13 PM
Sudawn Bradley Offline
I don't think the majority of boy parents get upset when a girl is in the bracket - especially at the younger ages. It does become a little more ackward for the boys as the girls mature and sometimes the boys are not sure about where to put their hands and have a little trouble trying to reconcile being brought up not be rough with girls and now they are to put one on her back and hold her there. My son has wrestled some very tough girls over the years - Krista Revelle, Gabby Speer, and although he never actually wrestled Morgan Otteson, she has appeared in his bracket before. All these girls have beat some very tough boys. I do think that if an older 10/12/14 year old boy is not used to wrestling girls, the good experienced girls can have the advantage.

Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: Sudawn Bradley] #137882 02/03/09 04:36 PM
G
GPWC1 Offline
G
This is my daughter's 5th year of wrestling and I have never heard anyone say to me or her that she shouldn't be at a tournament. I personnaly have never seen anyone upset when she won a bracket because she was a girl. As far as i can tell everyone she has wrestled has wrestled her the same as they would if they were wrestling a boy.

Joe Gassmann
Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: GPWC1] #137916 02/03/09 07:13 PM
V
VERONICA&RONNIE1 Offline
V
LAST YEAR WHEN WE WERE IN PARK CITY TOUNRNEY WE HAD A PROBLEM. IT WAS VERY UNFAIR FOR MY DAUGHTER. THE DAY OF THE TOURAMENT THEY REARRANGED HER BRACKET SO A BOY FROM MANHATTEN DIDNT HAVE TO WRETSLE HER. THE BRACKET WAS ON THE WALL AND I CAME OVER TO THE BRACKET AND OVER HEARD THE PARENT COMPLAIN ABOUT THAT THE BRACKET HASNT CHANGE YET. NEXT THING WE KNEW THE WERE CALLING OVER THE SPEAKER THAT HER BRACKET BRACKET WAS BEING CHANGE. THEN THE MOTHER OF THE BOY COMING BACK OVER MAKING A BIG DEAL HOW THEY WERE ABLE TO CHANGE THE BRACKET FOR THEYRE BOY. NOW YOU TELL ME IS THIS FAIR OR NOT. MY DAUGHTER WENT OUT THERE AND WRESTLED LIKE SHE WAS TO AND DIDNT COMPLAIN.
YOU KNOW I WASNT GOING TO SAY THIS BECAUSE I REALLY DONT LIKE BRINGGING UP BAD THINGS ABOUT PEOPLE BUT MY DAUGHTER DIDNT CRY CUZ A BOY DIDNT WANT TO WRESTLE HER SHE WENT OUT ON THE MAT AS A PERSON AND WRESTLED LIKE A PERSON NOT AS A GENDER ROLL GETTING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WAY OF HER WRESTLING. SHE SEES IT AS A PERSON WIN OR LOSE SHES A PERSON WITH A HEART......

Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: VERONICA&RONNIE1] #137918 02/03/09 07:40 PM
W
wrstgmom43 Offline
W
My daughter has been wrestling 2 years and we have had no problem with the tournaments. To her, the girls are harder to wrestle than the boys, d/t girls being really flexible. We have told her that she will be treated like a boy when she steps on that mat, and she knows it. She has wrestled with her brother for years. Now, I have seen boys come off the mat when she beat them and cry about it. Like my mother always said, if you step into men's shoes than you had better be prepared to walk in them. My daughter knows that.

Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: CoachEd] #137922 02/03/09 08:10 PM
B
BruinBacker Offline
B
I dont believe in allowing girls to wrestle with boys. Our club has them, and I still disagree with it. The parents of the little girl are very nice, and the little girl is a sweetheart. It does not change my opinion of allowing a girl to wrestle.

They have Female Wrestling leagues for a reason. My son can not play girls vollyball when they have sign ups, so why should wrestling leagues let girls wrestle when its time to sign up for wrestling. They are segrigated for a reason. What that reason is, I am not sure, but its there.

Just my opinion, and I am sure I will be flamed for it, but I am not trying to be mean or disrepectful, just being honest.

Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: wrstgmom43] #137927 02/03/09 08:37 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Pinning the Issue of Girls Wrestling in High School
By Cassie Krisher

The atmosphere is buzzing with electricity as the opponents take to the wrestling mat. During the match, they grab each other's legs, ride each other's backs and pin each other on the mat. Both opponents are in the same weight class, but that does not necessarily mean their strength is equal.
One of the opponents is a girl.

Although girls who participate in high school wrestling often have amazing physical strength, it is possibly their mentality that is strongest as they approach the mat to wrestle in a male-dominated sport.

While women's wrestling has been gaining acceptance worldwide - it made its first appearance in the 2004 Summer Olympics - girls wrestling in high school has not been equally accepted.
Only three states recognize separate state championships for girls wrestling, and a few more have combined participation at their state meets.

Since the 1996-97 school year, the number of girls participating in wrestling has more than tripled, according to the NFHS High School Athletics Participation Survey. Growth in girls wrestling has been steadily increasing since girls first participated in the sport in 1979-80.

Last year, more than 5,000 girls participated in wrestling, according to the 2006-07 participation survey. While this number accounts for only two out of every 100 high school wrestlers in the country, it is a number that requires some insight into the issues that both girls and boys face when it comes to girls' participation in wrestling.

When girls wrestle on boys teams, it creates conflict for both genders. With co-ed competition, girls have no choice but to wrestle stronger boys, and boys can feel pressure to forfeit a match with a girl.
Should high school girls wrestle on boys teams and against boys in competition, or should schools and state associations establish separate girls wrestling teams and competitions?

Separating boys and girls in wrestling

Texas, Hawaii and Washington have established girls wrestling state championships separate from the boys championships. Girls in Texas account for more than one-fifth of the nation's high school girls wrestlers, with 1,460 girls participating in 191 schools. Hawaii has 456 girls wrestling, and Washington has 490 girls wrestling in 141 schools.

Separate boys and girls divisions in wrestling have existed in Texas since the University Interscholastic League (UIL) took official control of the high school sport in the 1998-99 season. Girls compete against other girls during the regular season and have their own state meet every February. Girls' participation in the sport has been consistently increasing.

"Everything that we've heard has been positive," said Mark Cousins, UIL athletic coordinator. "We haven't received any negative feedback in reference to our program at all."

Although the high school community has received girls wrestling well in Texas, the same may not be true in all states.

"It's worked well for us, but each state has to take into account its schools and systems," Cousins said. "What works for us may not work for others."

Similar to Texas, Hawaii also splits boys and girls wrestling into two separate sports throughout regular-season play and the state series. Hawaii created a separate girls wrestling state championship in 1998 because of the increasing popularity of the sport, said Keith Amemiya, executive director of the Hawaii High School Athletic Association (HHSAA). Approximately 220 girls wrestle in 11 weight classes at the state meet, compared to 280 boys in 14 weight classes.

"Creating a separate girls wrestling state championship has been one of the most successful accomplishments of the HHSAA in the past decade," Amemiya said. "It has helped the HHSAA in terms of gender equity and has provided many of our girls with opportunities to obtain college scholarships, train at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado, and even attempt to qualify for the U.S. Olympic women's wrestling team."

Washington started an official girls state wrestling championship last year. However, instead of completely separating the genders, the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) came to a compromise. Regular-season wrestling can be co-ed, but girls and boys wrestle in separate state series.

Five years ago, the WIAA started an invitational for girls as part of the state meet, and 56 girls participated, wrestling against other girls. The following year in 2005, 109 participated, and 156 participated in 2006. Then, the WIAA Executive Board established the first girls wrestling state championship for the 2006-07 season, reasoning that girls' participation in the sport would expand if they had their own state tournament. Seventy-two girls participated in the first girls wrestling state tournament last year. This year, the field was expanded to 108 participants in nine weight classes. Next year, the WIAA will add two more weight classes for girls, expanding the field once again.
"[Completely separating girls and boys wrestling] is our ultimate goal, but it is a balancing act," said Jim Meyerhoff, WIAA assistant executive director. "If you cut off the regular-season participation against boys too soon, then you will restrict the growth of girls wrestling."

Washington does not yet have enough participation in girls wrestling to account for creating a separate girls division during the regular season, even though half of the WIAA schools with wrestling have female wrestlers. Only six states – California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Texas and Washington - reported more than 200 female high school wrestlers in the 2006-07 NFHS High School Athletics Participation Survey. Some schools have only one or two girls wrestling, and the only way for them to participate in the sport is to wrestle boys. A sudden move to separated girls wrestling would discourage growth of the sport, Meyerhoff said.

"As a model, it's been very successful," Meyerhoff said. "Girls wrestling has brought more excitement and enthusiasm to high school wrestling in Washington. There are always a few parents and coaches who wish it would go away, but we are way past that point now."

Co-ed wrestling in high school

In 2006, Michaela Hutchison of Soldotna (Alaska) Skyview High School won a state title in the 103-pound weight class of the co-ed

Alaska School Activities Association (ASAA) state wrestling championship, according to the Associated Press and the March 2006 issue of NFHS News. She defeated many boys in a male-dominated sport to become the first girl to win a high school state wrestling title in a co-ed competition.

While in charge of wrestling at the Nebraska School Activities Association, Bob Colgate, NFHS assistant director and liaison to the NFHS Wrestling Rules Committee, said that he received complaints from parents about a girl who qualified for the wrestling state championship. Parents would call him and say how despicable it was to see a girl wrestle against boys at the state meet, but Colgate responded that the courts have ruled that the state must allow girls to compete if no competition exists exclusively for girls.

"We treated her like one of the 896 participants, other than giving her a separate weigh-in and locker room," Colgate said. "But win or lose, the audience gave her a standing ovation and there were 14 cameras going off around her mat."

Girls like these exhibit a large amount of courage to be successful in co-ed high school wrestling. Female wrestlers can feel left out in a sport that has traditionally excluded girls. However, the weight-class system in wrestling helps limit the physical inequalities when girls and boys face off in competition. Unlike football, ice hockey and basketball, sports in which girls have no choice but to compete against bigger, taller, stronger boys in co-ed competition, the weight-class system in wrestling helps to level the playing field in co-ed competition.

The boys who are matched with girls in competition can also face mental challenges. Boys can have the mindset that girls should not participate in the sport at all and that boys should not be put in a situation where they could possibly hurt a girl. The fear of embarrassment can pressure boys into forfeiting a match rather than competing against a girl. If a boy wins a match against a girl, he is too aggressive; but if he loses, he can be ridiculed.

However, that fear of embarrassment may be an issue only before a match, and not during.
"Once the whistle blows, that's all gone, and you are just trying to beat that person," said Dave Gannaway, chair of the NFHS Wrestling Rules Committee and assistant executive director at the Illinois High School Association.

The mental challenges for both boys and girls in wrestling are "not really an issue anymore," Meyerhoff said. "It is just who is the best wrestler."

Is girls wrestling acceptable?

The few state associations that have chosen to acknowledge girls wrestling in their state series have each taken different paths. No one model is going to work for every state at this point in the growth of girls wrestling. But as the number of participants continues to increase, state associations will have to "wrestle" with the idea of incorporating girls into the male-dominated contact sport.

"It's a struggle and a challenge," Colgate said. "Some say girls shouldn't be there [at the state meet], and others are more progressive. It's a touchy subject."

While the level of girls' participation in wrestling varies from state to state, one thing that is common among all the states is the public's growing acceptance of a girl donning a singlet and headgear and marching with her head high on the way to the mat, regardless of the gender of her opponent.

Cassie Krisher is a spring semester intern in the NFHS Publications/Communications Department. She is a senior at Butler (Indiana) University, majoring in journalism and media arts.

previous page | print this page

Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: BruinBacker] #137928 02/03/09 08:38 PM
G
GPWC1 Offline
G
If you click on the kids division does it say boys or girls?
it will pull up Kansas Kids. not Kansas boys or Kansas girls.

Joe Gassmann
Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: smokeycabin] #137929 02/03/09 08:39 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
OCU wins WCWA Women’s College Nationals with three champions

Gary Abbott USA Wrestling
02/01/2009

MARSHALL, Mo. – Led by three individual champions, Oklahoma City Univ. won the team title at the Women’s College Wrestling Association (WCWA) national championships at the Burns Athletic Center on the campus of Missouri Valley College.

It was the first WCWA national title for the Stars, which is competing in its second season as a varsity program under coach Archie Randall.

Claiming individual titles for the OCU were Michaela Hutchison at 55 kg/121 lbs., Tessa Plana at 63 kg/138.75 lbs. and Stefenie Shaw at 67 kg/147.5 lbs.

OCU scored 117 points, followed by returning champion the Univ. of the Cumberlands with 86 points. Simon Fraser Univ. of Canada placed third.

Five OCU wrestlers won silver medals. OCU’s victory snapped the Cumberlands streak of three straight women’s college national titles. Last year, the Cumberlands edged OCU by one team point in the standings.

“We wanted to make sure no one had a chance to get close,” OCU coach Archie Randall said. “We destroyed people. We hammered people. The girls worked hard all year long. It’s a great accomplishment for a second-year program. We have become the power in women’s wrestling.”

It was an all-OCU final at 55 kg/121 lbs., as Hutchison, a freshman, stopped teammate Ashley Hudson in the finals.

Plana, a freshman seeded No. 3 entering the tournament, defeated No. 1 seed Danielle Lappage of Simon Fraser in the championship match. She qualified for the finals with a victory over No. 2 Paige Rife of the Cumberlands in the semifinals.

Shaw, a sophomore from Waterford, Conn., beat third-ranked Stacie Anaka of Simon Fraser in overtime in the title bout.

“You have to have support from administration and girls who believe in themselves to accomplish this,” Randall said. “They’re all freshmen and sophomores. We have them all coming back. We’re going to be really tough.”

The Univ. of the Cumberlands had two individual champions, winning the lowest and highest weights with Ashley Shannon at 44 kg/97 lbs. and Lakia Henderson at 95 kg/209 lbs.

Simon Fraser, a traditional power in Canadian women’s college wrestling, placed third in its first WCWA Nationals with three individual champions, Ashley McKilligan at 48 kg/105.5 lbs., Taylor Dick at 72 kg/158.5 lbs. and Hillary Greening at 82 kg/180.25 lbs.

Other individual champions were Katherine Fulp-Allen of Menlo College at 51 kg/112.25 lbs. and Tani Adler of Jamestown at 59 kg/130 lbs.

Fulp-Allen is the younger sister of Sara Fulp-Allen, who won three women’s college national titles competing for Menlo. Her father Lee Allen is the head coach at Menlo. Katherine Fulp-Allen was a World University champion for the United States last summer.

Adler helped lead Jamestown College to a strong fourth-place finish in the team standings. It was the best finish of the three new women’s varsity teams in the tournament, as Missouri Baptist finished in seventh and Lindenwood placed eighth. Jamestown is coached by Cisco Cole.

Women’s college national tournaments began in 2004, and only three teams have won titles. The Univ. of Cumberlands won three titles (2006-08), Missouri Valley has two titles (2004-05) and OCU now has one (2009).

WCWA WOMEN’S COLLEGE NATIONALS
At Marshall, Mo., Jan. 31

Team Standings
1. Oklahoma City, 117
2. Univ. of the Cumberlands, 86
3. Simon Fraser Univ., 73
4. Jamestown College, 46
5. Menlo College, 42
6. Missouri Valley College, 24
7. Missouri Baptist, 19
8. Lindenwood Univ., 5
9. UW-River Falls, 0

44 kg/97 lbs.
1st - Ashley Shannon (Cumberlands) dec. Lene Wood (OCU)
3rd – Stephanie Waters (OCU) dec. Lisa Martinez (Cumberlands)
5th – Rene Mitchell (OCU) dec. Sarah Rowen (OCU)

48 kg/105.5 lbs.
1st - Ashley McKilligan (Simon Fraser) pin Joey Miller (OCU), 1:19
3rd – Nicole Woody (OCU) dec. Gabrielle Henry (Cumberlands)
5th – Shannon Reeves (Cumberlands) dec. Jessica Nguyen (Cumberlands)

51 kg/112.25 lbs.
1st - Katherine Fulp-Allen (Menlo) dec. LeAnn Barney (OCU)
3rd – Tiffany Sluik (Jamestown) dec. Jackie Stiles (Cumberlands)
5th – Priscilla Caldera (Lindenwood) dec. Mia Provence (OCU)

55 kg/121 lbs.
1st - Michaela Hutchison (OCU) dec. Ashley Hudson (OCU)
3rd – Rita Pare (Simon Fraser) dec. Carla O’Connell (Menlo)
5th – Ciana Hee (Cumberlands) dec. Andrea Hughes (Cumberlands)

59 kg/130 lbs.
1st - Tani Adler (Jamestown) dec. Jenny Germany (Missouri Valley)
3rd – Firen Gassman (OCU) dec. Shermaine Danner (Missouri Baptist)
5th – Luzette Villegas (Cumberlands) dec. Chaelyn Tan (Jamestown)

63 kg/138.75 lbs.
1st - Tessa Plana (OCU) dec. Danielle Lappage (Simon Fraser)
3rd – Paige Rife (Cumberlands) dec. Rachael Paaluhi (Jamestown)
5th – Brittany Gadd (Cumberlands) dec. Megan Agajanian (Cumberlands)

67 kg/147.5 lbs.
1st - Stefenie Shaw (OCU) dec. Stacie Anaka (Simon Fraser)
3rd – Lauren Knight (Cumberlands) dec. Ashlee Evans-Smith (Menlo)
5th – Pi’ikea Kalalau (Jamestown) dec. Christen Paysse (Cumberlands)

72 kg/158.5 lbs.
1st - Taylor Dick (Simon Fraser) dec. Lacey Novinska (OCU)
3rd – Kendra Lewis (Cumberlands) dec. Moriah Fernandez (Menlo)
5th – Sherolynn Eppinger (Cumberlands) dec. Annie Decrescente (Cumberlands)

82 kg/180.25 lbs.
1st - Hillary Greening (Simon Fraser) dec. Desiree Memea (Missouri Baptist)
3rd – Brittany Delgado (OCU) pin Jessica Scott (Cumberlands), 1:21
5th – Megan Wade (Cumberlands)

95 kg/209 lbs.
1st - Lakia Henderson (Cumberlands) dec. Amy Havens (Missouri Valley)
3rd – Amanda Athon (Jamestown) pin Keron Scott (OCU), 0:11
5rh – Brittany Caoile (Menlo)

Special thanks to Rich Tortorelli of OCU and Tom Sandwith of Missouri Valley College for their assistance with this report.

Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: smokeycabin] #137937 02/03/09 08:55 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Why do we have girls golf, boys golf, girls soccer, boys soccer, girls basketball, boys basketball, boys baseball, girls softball,
girls track, boys track, girls cross country, boys cross country,
boys lacrosse, girls lacrosse, etc? I think it is because more can participate. If USA Wrestling had a girls/women only division I think more girls/women would participate and a larger pool to expand opportunities. Parents would be less apprehensive to let the young ladies compete and the girls would be more likely to sign up. There would need to be a huge committment by parents to coach, run the clubs, run tournaments, find gym time, order uniforms, etc. Just ask the Edison's they have been huge in the state of Kansas for the young ladies and their participation.

Last edited by smokeycabin; 02/03/09 10:00 PM.
Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: meb] #137957 02/03/09 11:27 PM
B
Brooke Bogren Offline
B
I have been to a tournament and told that I would have to settle for one match with a girl instead of wrestling boys due to the availability of competition, even though it was only one match. Believe me, I was not happy to find that I drove that distance for one match, but I wrestled it because it was competition. Maybe if you want to be able to indicate that there is only boys brackets you should publicize having girls brackets and try to get reasonably close age/weight competition for the girls to wrestle.

I just got around to this thread after hearing about it for some time now and just want people to relax. In a way I absolutely hate forums. It is a place for people to nit pick and throw out biased opinions. There are a total of 3 tournaments in this state this year that even call themselves "Girls" tournaments. So, saying girls should go wrestle in only girls tournaments or that your sons are missing out is nothing but people wanting to argue. If you want to bring your son to a tournament that consists mainly of girls by all means do so, but do not get on the forum later and tell me that boys have a hard time wrestling girls because they don't want to touch them or that boys and girls should not wrestle.

Brooke Bogren
Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: Brooke Bogren] #137960 02/04/09 12:05 AM
B
Brooke Bogren Offline
B
I would like to thank Emporia Kids Wrestling for putting on a tournament with a girls division included and the Edisons for the endless amount of time and energy they put into progressing women's wrestling.

With anything for it to grow someone must take the first step and this league everyone thinks girls should have cannot just appear out of thin air. There are people trying hard to get girls wrestling to evolve into its own division but to say that we need to let boys wrestle at the "girls" tournaments then also hear that girls should not wrestle boys makes me want to say make up your mind!

Last edited by Brooke Bogren; 02/04/09 12:07 AM.

Brooke Bogren
Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: wrstgmom43] #137988 02/04/09 02:29 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
We had 2 girls on our 1979/80 HS wrestling team. They were very tough girls. Those girls won several matches on JV and never made the varsity team. It was my senior year of high school for this first encounter of girls wrestling on a boys team (29 to 30 years ago). If you are of the male gender and do not or did not feel uncomfortable practicing moves on these girls I have other questions for you. I have 2 sisters and 3 brothers and the only girls I ever felt "normal" practicing wrestling moves (in the living room )on were my sisters. One was older and could kick my butt until about my sophmore year. And my younger sister well she was the practice dummy - she could have started on the varisty HS wrestling team in her freshman and sophmore years - but chose distance running. She went on to set a KU Relay record in a distance race back in the mid 1980's - while running for the Arkansas Razorback (Lady Hogs) track and cross country team. My little sister never did wrestle in a competition. My older brothers - well let's just say I was the practice dummy most of the time. The point - I never had to wrestle a female in competition but practice was uncomfortable enough. It is not a "strange" situation for the girls to wrestle boys because that is who they mostly wrestle with in practice and competition. It is a "stranger" situation for the boys when they mostly practice with boys and then all of a sudden or in one tournament they are face to face with a tough girl. What if a bunch of girls on a volleyball team were the best team in there state. The next year the second best state team in girls volleyball had a transfer from California (great player) who was a boy and they got beat in the state finals. What would the reaction be: by the parents, coaches, and/or both these teams?
Fair or Not Fair? Strange feeling or normal feeling?

Last edited by smokeycabin; 02/04/09 02:31 AM.
Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: smokeycabin] #137991 02/04/09 02:54 AM
W
wrstgmom43 Offline
W
There are not many "all girls" tournaments in Kansas. We go to the ones that they do have. We do not have the money, nor the time, to travel great distances just so our daughter can get some mat time. I think it is great for her and for the boys. She has to work harder. Believe me, I should have been in wrestling myself with the way my brother used me as a "Hey, I learned a new wrestling move, come here!" LOL.

Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: wrstgmom43] #138014 02/04/09 03:45 AM
nix Offline
i just have 1 more question on this thread.

i have never seen a thread where anyone has stated there boy sent a girl off the mat crying, but i have read in this thread where a girl sent a boy off the mat crying.

is there some great pride knowing your daughter made a boy cry. i have seen boy's cry and girl's cry i have even seen my own boy cry.

not just on here but i have heard other mothers at some of the tournaments talking about how there girl made a little boy cry.

now me i would not see the pride in my son making another boy or girl cry.

"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent"

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: nix] #138019 02/04/09 04:10 AM
C
CoachEd Offline
C
Nix, I guess I need to meet you. I like the way you think. We, the Edisons, do not take any pleasure in seeing any of the wreslters go off the mat crying. Sometimes we will get a girl wrestling that says she wrestles to "beat a boy". Ed immediately takes the time to point out to the girl that she is then wrestling for the wrong reasons. Wrestling is so much bigger than that. The whole girls wrestling debate has gone on forever and will continue for some time. This is good and bad but at least people are thinking about it.

I hope that Kansas as a state can take pride in knowing that in women's wrestling in 2008 we were #3 in the Nation in Juniors, #1 in Elem and Middle School Divisions. Our Jr Women took 4th in Duals. We have a number of our Ks girls wrestling in college programs. Brooke Bogren, who posted earlier is a KS born and bred wrestler from an early age, and is a 2X National Champ. She is on our coaching staff for the Kansas Krusaders.

We are not without appreciation for male wrestlers. Our two sons wrestle in college right now and wrestled from the age of 4. We want to have a league for women so they can get out of the males rooms...but Rome was not built in a day. If you want us to go away, it probably is not going to happen. We are open to ideas, assistance, constructive criticism. We do not have all the answers but we are doing our best to make KS proud and future girls wrestling the best we know how at this time.

Ms. Jenni and Coach Ed but he is now snoring....lol

Re: Girls Wrestling is this fair? [Re: meb] #138023 02/04/09 05:04 AM
Tony Avallone Offline
Originally Posted By: Mary
Just curious but what would the parents of the girls say if a tournament was started that was boys only. I would imagine a good percent would say it was wrong and anyone should be able to enter. Well, I feel the same way. It is wrong to block boys from a tournament. It is wrong to block girls from a tournament. All should be open to everyone.

Here is an all girls tournament for you, 2009 USA-Wrestling Kansas Girls State Championships.
Now it says girls only but if you have a 14u 95lb boy that wants to wrestle bring him to this tournament my girl will take all the matches she can get, oh and the entry fee is $25 dollars. Yes the girls have to pay more for all there tournaments, not only that we have to drive a lot further to get to an all girl tournament.
Hey Jenni if Mary shows up with a boy can you hook us up a match between him and Karissa. Heck I will see if Hanna and Kennedy are going to be there, I bet they would have no problem wrestling a boy that wanted to be in their tournament.
Now with that being said the girls wrestle boys because they have to so that they can get mat time, but all the parents that don't like it should stop complaining and being part of the problem. Instead they should help Coach Ed and all of the girl supporters get more girls involved with wrestling then we can have a girls only league and the problem would be solved. Naawww it is easier just to complain then be part of the solution isn't it?
If you are a true fan/supporter of wrestling and want it to grow then watch this video the whole video, then go get involved and be part of the solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYLIS0OBSnc

Dad of Karissa 119lb and Brantley 103lb High School
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 182 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)