Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: mmeditz] #138846 02/10/09 03:19 PM
in it to win it Offline
The worse thing I did probably was for role modeling was send my older kid to ISU camp to work with Cael....both the same weight both fodder for practice and drilling instructions---he came back that Sr. year knowing just how to chew...

Not knocking Cael at all....Cael can rock the house and universe...it's just that habits are hard to break...and there must be something about chewing that sticks with a few that can't deny it.

This post has sparked a great deal of controversy but has led most readers to becoming more educated in the rule. Consensus has to be that if you are going to chew -- to take care of where your doing it.

Last edited by in it to win it; 02/10/09 03:25 PM. Reason: grammar

In it to win it.
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: in it to win it] #139297 02/14/09 01:16 AM
C
clarkmom Offline
C
This is probably the most ridiculous post that I have ever read. If it's not hurting you then why are you so worried about it. Yes, it is a bad habit, but no one is craming it down your throat. I have seen much worse things over the years, than to worry about a person chewing and spitting in a bottle. For instance, (1) a coach arguing with a ref, so lets just teach the kids to disrespect the ref, and to tell everyone how he got screwed. (2) a child who loses, and throws his/her head gear or punches the mat. (3) how about a coach/parent that cusses. (4) my son was recently wrestling, and his opponents coach was yelling,"ruff him up!" Come on, my son is 10 years old! (5)Parents yelling and screaming on the side of the mat, when asked several times to sit down, because it is actually affecting someone else, you know the people who can't see because they are actually sitting up in the stands where they are supposed to be. You know, "obeying the rules."

I think that people really need to pick their battles more carefully. I know that our coaches volunteer their time, and most of the time don't get a break to eat, let alone go outside to chew. I don't think that I would want to be around a coach, who has volunteered their whole day to coach my son, and not let him get a fix from chew.

I chose my battles wisely, and this is not one of them. Those who have the time to go around and try to find everyone who is chewing, to try to get them kicked out obviously don't have enough on their plate during the tournaments.

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: clarkmom] #139300 02/14/09 01:56 AM
Beeson Offline
cryWhy? Why? Why?...Why won't this thread DIE?...Why? Why? Why? cry

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Beeson] #139305 02/14/09 02:14 AM
lynseywebb Offline
Because people like you respond to it...

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: clarkmom] #139324 02/14/09 04:26 AM
J
Jeff Broadbent Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Sorry guys, but I do have to respond...

It is not "just a bad habit."
It is a "violation of a rule" that is in the Rulebook we abide by. Don't try to pick and choose which rules we want to abide by.

For instance remarks -

Rules in place to deal with all of these, except maybe #4?? Dont know what you want to do on this one?? Just need to enforce the penalties.

For the record there are many quality coaches out there who dont need a "fix" from chew. Just as there are many quality coaches who are breaking a rule by using tobacco products.

As far as the following quote -

"I chose my battles wisely, and this is not one of them. Those who have the time to go around and try to find everyone who is chewing, to try to get them kicked out obviously don't have enough on their plate during the tournaments." - clarkmom

As I said earlier. I do not go around looking for those breaking the rules, but if you come to a mat and are doing so, it will be pointed out, in the appropriate way, to an official.

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #139326 02/14/09 06:15 AM
C
clarkmom Offline
C
I understand that this is a high school rule, but as said on other posts there is a lot of other little rules that need to be dealt with also then. And since it is a high school rule I guess it is ok to chew at State in the Expocenter since it is not a high school. And now the arguement for that is "its not good to do in front of the kids", Well neither is sitting around at the Holidome drinking beer in front of the kids, and there is a lot of people guilty of that, probably even ones that are talking down on chewing. But no one is complaining about that, I know I have personally seen a lot of people at the Holidome and other hotel stays for big tournaments where there is people sitting around drinking and getting drunk in front of these same young wrestlers. Now I don't know about you, but I think that is a lot worse than chewing.

Last edited by clarkmom; 02/14/09 06:22 AM.
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: clarkmom] #139327 02/14/09 06:35 AM
nix Offline
i believe all this it's bad for the kids is bs. i mean me and my wife are good enough parents to teach our kids right from wrong and my kids are smart enough to not see somthing and try it.

i mean the other day spongebob was on and he littered out the window my kids were watching and guess what when they got in the car the did not litter.

phelps the olymic swimmer just got caught with a bong i would be willing to bet that there is not a rise in swimmers with bongs.

as parents we need to take the responsablity for what are kids do and not blame other people for what are kids saw.

because if thats the case i would not take your child to walmart or the movies because they will see worse people and worse things done then they will ever see at a wrestling meet or hotel.jmo sry beeson had to post one more time lol.

Last edited by nix; 02/14/09 06:36 AM.

"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent"

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: nix] #139330 02/14/09 09:15 AM
Mike Furches Offline
Let me ask a few questions which don't seem to have been answered yet:

Who, and how do we decide which rules in the rule book to enforce, and not enforce?

Who makes those decisions?

Has this rule been modified for kids wrestling?

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Mike Furches] #139331 02/14/09 09:50 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Mike,

You are up kind of early aren't you? You must be going to a wrestling tournament today. I was just thinking about what a great day today is. I have worked twelve straight days (10 at work and a guard drill weekend in between), and I feel like a kid in a candy store. Today, I get to go watch my son wrestle, and I get to watch many of your sons and daughters wrestle as well. Does it get any better than that? After spending last year across the big pond, aside from being away from my lovely wife and four sons, wrestling was the thing that I missed the most. Believe me hard core wrestling fans, it doesn't get any better than this. If someone cracks a cold one in front of my son and spits tobacco on my shoe, I will still be smiling at the end of the day. Why, because I get to go watch a lot of young kids bust their butts on the mat.

Lee Girard
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: ReDPloyd] #139332 02/14/09 10:03 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: ReDPloyd
Believe me hard core wrestling fans, it doesn't get any better than this. If someone cracks a cold one in front of my son and spits tobacco on my shoe, I will still be smiling at the end of the day. Why, because I get to go watch a lot of young kids bust their butts on the mat.
I may take offense to someone spitting on my Nocona Lizards however I do agree it does not get any better than this. This morning at 7:00 A.M. I will be handling the GWAL City League weigh-ins, then will travel to assist with the Pioneer League Middle School Junior Varsity Tournament, then back to Wichita Heights for the City League finals. My wife will certainly disagree, but today, life is good.

Providing opportunities for kids!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: ReDPloyd] #139333 02/14/09 10:36 AM
Mike Furches Offline
Originally Posted By: ReDPloyd
Mike,

You are up kind of early aren't you? You must be going to a wrestling tournament today. I was just thinking about what a great day today is. I have worked twelve straight days (10 at work and a guard drill weekend in between), and I feel like a kid in a candy store. Today, I get to go watch my son wrestle, and I get to watch many of your sons and daughters wrestle as well. Does it get any better than that? After spending last year across the big pond, aside from being away from my lovely wife and four sons, wrestling was the thing that I missed the most. Believe me hard core wrestling fans, it doesn't get any better than this. If someone cracks a cold one in front of my son and spits tobacco on my shoe, I will still be smiling at the end of the day. Why, because I get to go watch a lot of young kids bust their butts on the mat.

Hey Lee, up about usual time actually, maybe an hour early at most. All other things said, some good stuff. After doing those late night shifts in the past, I am enjoying sleeping at night now. While my day won't be as full as Richards, I will enjoy a HS tournament at Remington. Wrestling is a great sport, and we can enjoy the freedom of going to a tournament today, hopefully all of us doing something positive for the kids we are with.

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Mike Furches] #139337 02/14/09 01:15 PM
BLT Offline
Now I like the direction this thread has taken.
Yes, people will break some rules and Yes, it is everyones right to call them out on them if they notice it.
Yes, Beeson will be upset that people are still replying to this thread.
Yes, as much as I think it has gotten a little blown out of proportion, I will continue to read it.
Why is all of this happening???
We are all expressing (in our own way) our passion for this great sport.
Thanks to all of you for your enjoyable comments & your passion for this sport.
Its time to wrestle. Enjoy your Valentines day! Try to love everyone today as much as you love wrestling and I promise it will be a great day for us all!

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: BLT] #139386 02/15/09 02:20 AM
5G's Dad Offline
Lee,

I appreciate your wisdom as we got to spend another day enjoying the big picture. It is in no small part, due to the men like you who sacrifice time with your family to spend it "across the pond" that allows us the privilege of pointing out the details of the rules to one another. The rest of us can go about contributing our best (and some of our worst) to our youth, with the most part being for their good.

I was at a tournament in Missouri today and had at least 4 folks chewing tobacco walk in front of me to spit in the trash...and I didn't know if it was against MO High school or kids rules, but couldn't help but think of this thread and giggle. And I kept my opinion to myself, just like I did when I walked past 4 smokers in front of the school. But I wouldn't have minded if someone else would have spoken up...

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: 5G's Dad] #139393 02/15/09 07:17 AM
P
Packerholic4 Offline
P
Can we get rid of this subject!! just don't use the stuff around the kids. chew some gum or just take a break from coaching.

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Packerholic4] #139796 02/18/09 03:57 AM
C
Conrad1 Offline
C
LET THIS FORUM DIE!!!!

Travis Conrad
Wabaunsee High School
Wabaunsee Wrestling Club
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Conrad1] #139798 02/18/09 04:10 AM
Beeson Offline
I don't care anymore...it had been 2 days since someone posted. And then BLAM!!!!!!!!!!!! It's brought right back to the top, just to ask for it to DIE. I will be bumping this topic every night until State at 9:00 pm. Long live this TOPIC.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Beeson] #139800 02/18/09 08:34 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Senate Bill 25 - Kansas Indoor Clean Air Act

The amended bill passed the Kansas Senate on 02/17/2009 by a vote of:
Yeas 26
Nays 13

The bill is supported by your Governor however it does face an uncertain future in the Kansas House of Representatives.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #139801 02/18/09 08:40 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Also on the Legislative agenda is the Kansas Nonsmoker Protection Act. Senate Bill 81 was introduced on January 22, 2009 and has been referred to the Public Health and Welfare committee of the Kansas Senate.

Kansas Nonsmoker Protection Act

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #139809 02/18/09 01:12 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
[quote=RichardDSalyer
The bill is supported by your Governor however it does face an uncertain future in the Kansas House of Representatives. [/quote]

No wonder Kansas can't make payroll, not to mention the IOU's that those of you lucky enough to get a tax refund will be getting in place of a check.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #139810 02/18/09 01:18 PM
S
S McFee Offline
S
maybe if the legislatures worried about what is causing the problem rather than trying to interfere with tobacco use, they could balance a budget!

as someone who does chew, here is a recommendation. If you arent man enough to swallow it, dont chew it!

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 164 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)