Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kansas Freestyle/Greco Roman State #138192 02/05/09 04:52 AM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Last year the date was moved from June to May and we had 305 wrestlers in Junction City. I believe this was up from 225 in 2007. Somehow the date has been moved back to June. I personally don't like as it is the weekend before Southern Plains this year. But, it is what it is. We are thinking about hosting it at St. James High School this year. We would utilize seven surfaces on for Greco and begin wrestling at 7pm on Friday night. We would finish Greco on Saturday morning and switch to six surfaces for Freestyle. We need five hundred wrestlers this year so I am challenging the FS/GR clubs out there to shoot me an estimate of how many they will bring. I would also like to propose that any wrestlers who wish to compete on any of the dual teams (Schoolboy, Cadet, or Juniors) must compete in the state tournament. Garcia, Reick, Hermreck and Peterman need to stand behind this. Graduation and track will be over with so NO EXCUSES!

FEEDBACK!!!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Kansas Freestyle/Greco Roman State [Re: Cokeley] #138226 02/05/09 03:00 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Last year the date was moved from June to May and we had 305 wrestlers in Junction City. I believe this was up from 225 in 2007. Somehow the date has been moved back to June. I personally don't like as it is the weekend before Southern Plains this year. But, it is what it is. We are thinking about hosting it at St. James High School this year. We would utilize seven surfaces on for Greco and begin wrestling at 7pm on Friday night. We would finish Greco on Saturday morning and switch to six surfaces for Freestyle. We need five hundred wrestlers this year so I am challenging the FS/GR clubs out there to shoot me an estimate of how many they will bring. I would also like to propose that any wrestlers who wish to compete on any of the dual teams (Schoolboy, Cadet, or Juniors) must compete in the state tournament. Garcia, Reick, Hermreck and Peterman need to stand behind this. Graduation and track will be over with so NO EXCUSES!

FEEDBACK!!!

Totally agree, especially on the part I bolded above. My concern of moving the tournament back is that we make sure we have tournaments in state that our wrestlers can go to. It seems like there are less and less tournaments from year to year, pushing the date back runs the risk of even less mat time unless there are more tournaments.

Re: Kansas Freestyle/Greco Roman State [Re: Mike Furches] #139873 02/18/09 09:39 PM
24/7 Offline
Any news on where this tournament will be held? I have heard that some are pushing this to be in Hays to try to drive up participation in the Southern Plains camp. I hope this is not the case. The Southern Plains camp has to stand on it's own merit and we need to quit trying to force sidebar agenda's to support that camp. For a couple years it has been to try to make the camp mandatory to go to southern plains, then that blew up. Now I am hearing this. Put the state tournament where it will get the most support and attendance and that is it. If that is in fact in Hays fine, but someplace in Wichita or the center of the state might be better attended. Most of the FS/GR wrestlers come from the highest areas of population (either Wichita or KC) That has to have some bearing on the where the state tournament belongs.

Just my two cents. Let the bashing begin.

24/7

Re: Kansas Freestyle/Greco Roman State [Re: 24/7] #139958 02/19/09 03:35 PM
Kyle O. Roberts Offline
The Coporate Board is taking bids for the State Tournament. As of the Executive Council's last meeting (SuperBowl Sunday) there were only 1 or 2 bids submitted.
There is no push by anyone to hold it a certain place, but should be a push to get clubs to bid on it. I did make the comment at the meeting that it would be nice to have it in Hays for the convenience of the wrestlers and their families who do participate in Southern Plains to check in following competition at the State tournament. I do not know if the facility is even available June 6th. If this is construed as a "push", I will always "push" to provide our athletes with more accessible opportunities.
As this is my 2nd year as camp director, I am not sure why there is this love/hate idea of the Southern Plains camp. I will strive to make this a place for beginners to our experienced Kansas wrestlers to come together, learn, and promote the Olympic styles of wrestling. This camp has helped keep expenses down for Schoolboy Dual team, and Kids National team, provided a place for Juniors to be evaluated and nurture the Team Kansas aspect of Freestyle and Greco. It is my goal for the Southern Plains Camp and Kansas State tournament to be well attended by our Kansas Youth.
I will gladly take comments, suggestions, and critique on the Southern Plains Camp and tournament, and yes I am also "pushing" to keep the Southern Plains tournament in Hays.
I would also agree with you Mike that we need to hold it in a location that is conducive to greater attendance, but also a facility that can handle the event, and club or district workers willing to run it. I also like the idea that the State tournament is THE ARENA to make a State Dual Team.
Will and Mike are great assets to the FS/GR sport in our State and your input is always appreciated. Let's hear from others in the wrestling community and let your District know you are concerned or willing to host this event. I would love to see more than 500 wrestlers at this State Tournament.

news4kyle@yahoo.com
620-300-9999
Although I love all sports, only one bearhugs my heart!
Re: Kansas Freestyle/Greco Roman State [Re: Kyle O. Roberts] #140077 02/20/09 02:26 PM
badbo Offline
Kyle, I know you work very hard for KS wrestling. I am not bashing you. I just want the state tournament to thrive just like you. I actually like the idea of having the state tournament the qualifier for the dual teams. The only issue right now is so many kids skip the state tournament you have to go out and recruit just to have a dual team. It's a chicken or the egg, but I do like the idea. I will PM you with some thoughts on the SP camp. Thanks,

24/7

Moderated by  Coach T.Gonzales 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 160 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,385
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)