Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Any Seniors looking for a college? #142991 03/09/09 01:05 AM
K
klintdeere Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Any Kansas seniors or parents of seniors looking to continue their college careers may want to consider New Mexico Highlands
University (Division II) in Las Vegas, NM. My son Gage is a freshman there, nice small classes, good support, a great coach in Doug Moses.

My son got an outstanding financial aid package. Their rates are comparable or better than any in-state schools. We have been nothing but impressed, the only thing is that we would like to see more Kansas kids down there.

Drop us a note or PM and we can link you with information.

Re: Any Seniors looking for a college? [Re: klintdeere] #143032 03/09/09 02:05 PM
K
kansas kid Offline
K
And I would like to see more Kansas kids stay in Kansas.

Aaron Meister

Always T.C.O.B.
Re: Any Seniors looking for a college? [Re: kansas kid] #143055 03/09/09 04:12 PM
B
Brett Shoffner Offline
B
And I would like to see more 4 year opportunities for these Kansas kids. You can't blame a kid for going out of state on a great financial package to wrestle, when if they stayed home, they would likely be paying for some part of their schooling, not to mention still be in Kansas (some kids actually like to get away from home when "going off" to college).

Re: Any Seniors looking for a college? [Re: Brett Shoffner] #143060 03/09/09 04:43 PM
K
klintdeere Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I am all for Kansas kids staying in Kansas, would love to see more opportunities for 4 year institutions to have programs here.
My dad is a FHSU alum, I coached with the KU club program, I raised money for the Baker program and would love to see programs at every level in Kansas

My son got a deal he could not pass up (basically his freshman year free on an academic based scholarship) and is one of those kids that Brett is talking about--kind of needed to get away.

I would love to say that money is not an issue, but the reality of things is that it was a major barrier.

Re: Any Seniors looking for a college? [Re: klintdeere] #143097 03/09/09 07:48 PM
E
esj Offline
E
Not a four year school but I would highly recommend Labette to any wrestler who wanted to stay in state. As a coach, Renfro is as good as they come, he will push to get the very best out of any who buy into his system. I have personally watched him take an average wrestler and make them believe they are the best. Take that belief, add workouts that equal or surpass any in the country along with earned respect of a coach giving his all, all the time, breeds an atmosphere for success. Losing a match anytime is hard ,but when disappointing your coach is the hardest part-- even harder than letting down yourself,teammates, or family, that is true respect...earned respect. Many go on to other places, but never lose the family connection that goes along with buying into the Cardinal philosophy. My family is proud to be a part of that family. Looking for a place to develop as a wrestler and as a man, I would trust Coach Renfro to mold any young man into a stronger individual--mentally, physically, and emotionally, both on and off the mat. To those who see it as just wrestling,(IMO) Labette probably is not the best choice,wrestling is everything to Coach Renfro,and expects the same of his team.I will forever be indebted to Coach for being a positive influence on my son,and am honored to call him a friend.

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 115 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,932
Posts250,363
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)