Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Curtis Chenoweth] #144357 03/21/09 12:12 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
Congrats to all 3 of our wrestlers in the tourney. They represented Kansas well and I think our state will have a very impressive showing next year!

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Curtis Chenoweth] #144492 03/22/09 09:06 PM
I
ike Offline
I
Here are some video links to the Caldwell upset over Metcalf.

Part I:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY4VW6Bi3U

Part II:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI2j0fZOpIQ

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: ike] #144498 03/22/09 10:13 PM
Spartan Wrestling 05 Offline
Thanks for the vids Ike...Caldwell scoring 4 point in the first 33 seconds set the tone for the match. The left side head and arm was sweet.

Mike Flynn

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Spartan Wrestling 05] #144540 03/23/09 12:11 PM
coach craig Offline
What did everyone think of what happened at the end of the match. I am torn. For one I am not happy with how Caldwell handled himself. Metcalf pushing him was not acceptable....but I can understand. Note to kids...win with humility as it does not ruin the moment. Lose with dignity as it does not tanish your legacy.

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: coach craig] #144549 03/23/09 01:32 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Both were in the wrong.

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: doug747] #144551 03/23/09 01:49 PM
Beeson Offline
Metcalf was still trying to score...a takedown with two back points would have won the match. There was about 8 seconds left when they restarted...I think. Plenty of time to push a show boater down and fall on top for the two.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Beeson] #144580 03/23/09 04:01 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Agreed. I don't mind the actions of either. Hard not to celebrate when you have won a national title. Thankfully God made us all with different personalities.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Beeson] #144596 03/23/09 05:04 PM
W
Wrestlin Scholar Offline
W
Beeson,

Metcalf was down by four not including one point riding time which would make a 5 point lead when he pushed Caldwell two seconds after the match was over and 10 feet out of the ring.
Should have of been an ejection out of the whold tournament.

This was a blatant show of unsportsmanship from Metcalf. Metcalf got his but kicked and he couldn't take it. I lost a lot of respect for Metcalf.

I was there in the stands I noticed every national champ celebrated after their match and sometimes quite excessively. This is the biggest upset in years at the NCAAs and the biggest win of Caldwell's life. I have now problem with this celebration. Don't tell me this isn't the first time we've seen a flip in the finals.

Here's the real point, if the ref had big enough balls he should have ejected Metcalf out of the tournament. I've seen refs throw out guys for a lot less than Metcalf did. Of course that would of cost Metcalf all-american and Iowa National championship so you would have never seen that.

Did everybody notice Iowa was penalized a team point for this.
The significance of this was it brought Ohio State within range of the championship if Pucillio Pinned or Majored Herbert. Of course that was a big longshot, but how big would of that point been if that happened.

"If pro is the opposite on con, then the opposite of progress is congress"
Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #144603 03/23/09 05:36 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Like I said before, I'm ok with what they both did at the end of the match. IT IS THE NATIONAL FINALS. They are ADDRENDYLNE (sp) CHARGED/FILLED YOUNG MEN.

Metcalf could have pushed a lot harder than he did. He pulled up a little. It was frustration. I dare say it could have happened to any of us.

Congrads to both!

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Dean Welsh] #144678 03/23/09 11:25 PM
B
Benelli Offline
B
Originally Posted By: dwelsh

Metcalf could have pushed a lot harder than he did.

I'm with Beeson on this and I would change the above to say-- Metcalf SHOULD have pushed a lot harder than he did!!

I don't have time for showboaters.

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Benelli] #144685 03/24/09 12:36 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
If we were all stoics, it would be a pretty darn boring world. Again, its a NATIONAL TITLE! A young man's DREAM! And, you expect him to act like a robot or something?

Heck, its not much different than that FL QB this year during the end of the BCS game doing his GATOR CHOMP to an OU player. And, they had spent all night talking about what a GREAT, CHRISTIAN kid Tebow is . . . I'm sure he is. But facts are - he was an EXCITED, FULL-CHARGED and passionate young man who did a kind of silly thing and got penalized for it. But, THAT'S OK. I like the humble ones (Payton in ftbl, Sanderson in wrestling) and I like the showboaters. But thats just me. I respect your right to be 'hating' on the boaters! ;-)

I applaud for BOTH of them and looking forward to seeing them wrestle again next year.

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Dean Welsh] #144687 03/24/09 12:48 AM
B
Benelli Offline
B
What bothered me the most was that the match wasn't even over when he started his little gymnatics routine, Metcalf very well could have been attempting a take down as time was running out. I'm all for celebrating, but can we wait until the match is over??

I'd also imagine Metcalf was a little frustrated....he pretty much got it taken to him.

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Beeson] #144691 03/24/09 01:18 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Beeson
Metcalf was still trying to score...a takedown with two back points would have won the match. There was about 8 seconds left when they restarted...I think. Plenty of time to push a show boater down and fall on top for the two.

There was a 5 point lead after the riding time point and the restart was with 5 seconds left. Caldwell's hands for the flip hit the mat as time expired and the actual backflip came a few seconds after time expired. Metcalf had no business pushing him like that. Guy's like Caldwell are good for the sport though, kinda like Johnny Hendricks was. Showboating adds a little bit of drama and excitement to a sometimes boring sport.

More importantly than all of this crap talked about, did anybody actually watch the match? Caldwell broke Metcalf mentally with that last takedown as Metcalf was in a position to score and just let go of the leg. Pretty impressive match by Caldwell.

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Curtis Chenoweth] #144699 03/24/09 02:13 AM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Curtis Chenoweth

More importantly than all of this crap talked about, did anybody actually watch the match? Caldwell broke Metcalf mentally with that last takedown as Metcalf was in a position to score and just let go of the leg. Pretty impressive match by Caldwell.

I disagree. Caldwell didn't mentally break Metcalf. Metcalf had a poor semi match and was not wrestling well. I think the pressure got to him, and rightfully so. He destroyed Caldwell at the All Star match by tech falling him. This time Caldwell had nothing to lose and Metcalf had everything to lose and unfortunately did. I still think Metcalf is the better wrestler hands down, and this will just feed him.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Beeson] #144705 03/24/09 02:49 AM
W
Wrestlin Scholar Offline
W
You can make excuses for Metcalf, but the fact is Metcalf got got his butt kicked. Caldwell had 4 takedowns and two minutes of riding time. The only reason Metcalf got a takedown was because Caldwell was playing prevent defense.

This match arguably was the second biggest blow out next to the Jaggers 141 final. It wasn't close.

Please watch the match, as Chenoweth pointed out, the flip was
after the match ended.
I know some referees are reading this, here's a question.
Would you disqualify a kid in a high school match if he pushed his winning opponent after the match was over?

"If pro is the opposite on con, then the opposite of progress is congress"
Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #144709 03/24/09 03:45 AM
Stevie08 Offline
Metcalf was in full sprint mode, it's pretty hard to just stop on a dime when you are running full out. Perhaps he ran into him and put his arms out as a block?

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Stevie08] #144710 03/24/09 04:30 AM
W
wrestlingspectat Offline
W
1. The Caldwell celebration probably seemed over the top to those watching the video, or to those who haven't followed this young man's career. He was excited and frankly I would have been too if I had won a national championship. I think we have all seen celebrations that were far "worse" than a backflip that lasted all of 6 seconds. If you've never won an event as big as a national championship at the highest level of collegiate wrestling you couldn't possibly have any idea of how difficult that is. After all that hard work I think a couple of seconds of celebration out on the mat is earned. He wasn't taunting, baiting, etc etc.

2. I also think that there was a very serious overreaction to the "push" that Metcalf gave him. I have seen way worse things happen in the normal course of a match. The penalty was certainly warranted, but ejection.... really? I say you are joking on that one.

Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Beeson] #144711 03/24/09 05:05 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Beeson
Originally Posted By: Curtis Chenoweth

I disagree. Caldwell didn't mentally break Metcalf. Metcalf had a poor semi match and was not wrestling well. I think the pressure got to him, and rightfully so. He destroyed Caldwell at the All Star match by tech falling him. This time Caldwell had nothing to lose and Metcalf had everything to lose and unfortunately did. I still think Metcalf is the better wrestler hands down, and this will just feed him.

It's hard to notice but I've watched the match 5 times now. On Caldwell's last takedown Metcalf was in better position to score than Caldwell was as Caldwell was on his but and his only hope was to keep scooting out which he was doing pretty well. Metcalf just let go of the legs though and flattened out on the mat. In my opinion his actions on that scramble showed that he broke and was done for.

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: Curtis Chenoweth] #144713 03/24/09 09:07 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Courtesy of Tech-Fall

Caldwell is beginning his celebration with Metcalf, both fists clenched, in pursuit.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: NCAA Division I - 2009! [Re: wrestlingspectat] #144718 03/24/09 10:53 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: wrestlingspectat
1. The Caldwell celebration probably seemed over the top to those watching the video, or to those who haven't followed this young man's career. He was excited and frankly I would have been too if I had won a national championship. I think we have all seen celebrations that were far "worse" than a backflip that lasted all of 6 seconds. If you've never won an event as big as a national championship at the highest level of collegiate wrestling you couldn't possibly have any idea of how difficult that is. After all that hard work I think a couple of seconds of celebration out on the mat is earned. He wasn't taunting, baiting, etc etc.

2. I also think that there was a very serious overreaction to the "push" that Metcalf gave him. I have seen way worse things happen in the normal course of a match. The penalty was certainly warranted, but ejection.... really? I say you are joking on that one.

Very well said on both points. But, I don't think the BM 'haters' were joking about the 'ejection'. However, I agree with you. Ejecting him from the tourney would have been a very poor call.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Coach Vieyra), 90 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)