Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Big School v. Small School OPINIONS #145139 03/26/09 03:07 PM
F
Falcon Grappler Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I have a question i would like to ponder with all of you. I agree that the intent of the B v. S dual is very good and the coordinators work hard to get matches. I also know it is hard sometimes b/c some seniors are just done after that last match of the year.

However, does it really need to be a big school v. small school format?

We all know that the million dollar question always is, which classifications are tougher. Big Schools believe they are tougher because they have more students etc. Small schools believe they are tougher because they have to go through a bigger region to make it too state. In all actuality, every year, is different and the depth of each classification changes with those years. The question will never be answered, yet is always fun for some to argue about.

Here is my thought. It should instead go back to or be a ALL-STAR match. It is a great opportunity for show-case the talent in the state. I am glad that they put an Caldwell v. Watson match this year, but does it really need to be considered an exhibition match? Why not let 5A guys pair up with 6A guys. 4A wrestlers pair up with 321A wrestlers. The objective should be to make the most competitive matches.

Why not put Callahan and Orneleas together. It would be a great match. I think if we focused on making the best possible match-ups and not Big v. Small it would be a much greater show.

Also, I believe that at times this event might divide the state. I was talking with a coach and friend this morning and we feel that last thing we need in this state is a division. We want to get up to the level of some more competitive states therefore, we must unite as a group and make our competition better. There could be a lot of possible matches that could take place tonight that fans would love to see. However, putting the Big v. Small Divison is keeping that from happening.

Again, it is my opinion. Let me know what you think!

Coach Church

Michael Church - The young one \:\)
Re: Big School v. Small School OPINIONS [Re: Falcon Grappler] #145144 03/26/09 03:20 PM
usawks1 Offline
Coach Church ... I, like you, applaud the committee for adding a couple of "exhibition matches" this year! The KWCA is doing a bang up job giving Kansas the matches they want to see!

I like the premise of the Big v Small! I like it better than the East v West, where in the past, we had Rossville matching against Silver Lake! Most years, most matches, the Big v Small works! If nothing else, for the mythical bragging rights!!

As long as they maintain the liberty to add some "must see" matches. Perhaps everyone would have liked to see an Ornelas v Callahan match (they did compete in the East Kansas Classic). Some matches just simply NEED to be made and cry for the mat!!

Perhaps it does steal a bit of luster from the Dual format ... but the KWCA efforts this year ... are sick!!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Big School v. Small School OPINIONS [Re: usawks1] #145145 03/26/09 03:36 PM
usawks1 Offline
Further, we need to applaud the athletes for giving us some dynamite matches!!!

Too often, as Coach Church et al have said, our athletes are done once the season is over. Too often, wrestlers don't want to tarnish their records if they happen to take a loss. Too often, our warriors get tired of maintaining weight and some semblance of conditioning to wrestle post-season events!

i.e. ... Beard v Kriss! I am almost giddy, thinking about some of the matches that will happen tomorrow night! Kudos to Boaz (and all the athletes), for giving us the opportunity to see some of the finest Kansas has to offer!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Big School v. Small School OPINIONS [Re: usawks1] #145150 03/26/09 04:23 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Yeah, good idea. UNITY. Just the best against the best. An All-Star meet. Who cares what grade or classification they are in?!

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Big School v. Small School OPINIONS [Re: usawks1] #145155 03/26/09 04:33 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
I agree with you Mike. This event is a fantastic effort from KWCA. The Big/Small debate provides hearty conversations every year and really provides a challenge to our AD's to schedule competitive inter-class match-ups. A true All-Star match would in my opinion, elevate interest even more. GREAT JOB on getting the Watson/Caldwell and Kriss/Beard matches! I am still trying to find a way to make it there tomorrow night and in most cases, I would RIDE A BIKE SIXTY MILES to see those two and Maple/Napier by themselves! I mailed my order in the other day for the DVD.

What a great way of ending the folkstyle season in Kansas! Hopefully we can get many of these same warriors to wrestle in OKC for the Junior Duals!

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Big School v. Small School OPINIONS [Re: Chief Renegade] #146721 04/07/09 01:13 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
I would say that the Senior Classic will never solve the debate of Big vs. Small which for some appears to be the objective. First, it is only seniors competing which are not always the "best" at a particular weight. Additionally, the "best" seniors do not always compete although this year they did for the most part. Sometimes when they compete, they are not "in shape" being a month after the High School State Tournament.
For me, the Senior Classic only proves who has the "best" seniors that particular year that happen to have the desire to compete at the Senior Classic and have properly prepared, "Big" or "Small". No hating intended as usual. I just like to see great matches.

Re: Big School v. Small School OPINIONS [Re: XGHSWC] #146725 04/07/09 01:51 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
I always think it is funny that we human animals have a quest to determine superiority. As long as I have had anything to do with wrestling, and that is about 45 years now (sadly), everyone has wanted to finally know the answer to the big school small school deal and the truth is the size of the school is the most irrelevant part of wrestling. The only thing I know for sure is that it is the size of the heart that determines superiority, so if someone can show some evidence that the number of people in your location has anything to do with the size of some kids heart, well then we have something. Truth is they are all special for doing this thing and it will be over for them far too soon. Enjoy them while they are here huh.

Re: Big School v. Small School OPINIONS [Re: Westfahl] #146769 04/07/09 07:43 PM
B
Bill Johnson Offline
B
Westfahl: The best response possible. EVER !!!! Excellent

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 134 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)