Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 2010 All-American List (former KS HS wrestlers) [Re: lakemats] #166213 03/23/10 03:28 PM
C
C C Offline
C
You all are correct. Not having a D1 program in the state is the root issue. There's a guy I know that was a HS state champ and 4-time placer. He wanted to wrestle D1 for MU back when their program wasn't quite as good as it is now. He elected to wrestle ju-co for a couple years, and I watched one match where he beat a 4-time OK state champ by 6pts. He was a ju-co finalist too, but they still wouldn't give him a scholarship. So, he didn't go. What do you do?

Plus, if we had an in-state D1 program, there would be more D1 trained coaches in KS. It all stems from the same issue, I believe.

Re: 2010 All-American List (former KS HS wrestlers) [Re: lakemats] #166413 03/24/10 08:57 PM
M
M.Church_AD Offline
M
So, is it possible for a Non-Division I wrestler to coach and put out Division I talent? Or can only Division I athletes coach D-I caliber athletes?????? Just a thought?

Re: 2010 All-American List (former KS HS wrestlers) [Re: M.Church_AD] #166414 03/24/10 09:01 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
Originally Posted By: FalconCoach
So, is it possible for a Non-Division I wrestler to coach and put out Division I talent? Or can only Division I athletes coach D-I caliber athletes?????? Just a thought?

I wish we had a "like" button as on Facebook. I had the same thoughts earlier about some of the DII guys who should be returning to Kansas to teach & coach very soon. I think they will be a big asset to the Kansas wrestling community.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: 2010 All-American List (former KS HS wrestlers) [Re: LancerLou] #166445 03/25/10 12:43 AM
Mahan Offline
the biggest issue in my opinion that puts kansas behind the other states is the two months we fall behind each year by KSHSAA not allowing HS coaches to run freestyle workouts. Having coached in Oklahoma for several years I can guarantee you that well over half of the HS coaches down there are running workouts 2 to 3 times per week and attending a tournament every weekend in OKC or Tulsa throughout the months of April and May. If a KS HS freshman and an Oklahoma HS Freshman start out at the same level, by the time they are graduating seniors the Oklahoma kid has the opporotunity to be 8 months ahead of the KS kid that is dang near 2 full seasons. I think kansas kids and kansas coaches do an excellent job of keeping up with our neighboring states considering the hamstringing KSHSAA gives us.

oh and I think that Falcon was being sarcastic

Re: 2010 All-American List (former KS HS wrestlers) [Re: Mahan] #166450 03/25/10 01:13 AM
C
C C Offline
C
Totally opposite scenario...

There were a few seniors in MO with which I worked out while they were training for freestyle tournaments a few years ago. They were all decent -- one guy ended up wrestling for CMSU and the other two ended up wrestling for MU. The guy with the least credentials became a national champ last year for MU. I don't believe he even had a HS state championship, although he did get a freestyle state championship. That scenario wouldn't happen for a KS wrestler, unless he/she wants to pay his/her own way.

Re: 2010 All-American List (former KS HS wrestlers) [Re: Mahan] #166478 03/25/10 09:47 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Mahan
oh and I think that Falcon was being sarcastic

No I don't think so! And you might want to check where Oklahoma typically finishes in comparison to Kansas at Senior Nationals each year.

Re: 2010 All-American List (former KS HS wrestlers) [Re: M.Church_AD] #166484 03/25/10 10:56 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H

no one is taking anything away from any coach in kansas. of course you have coached d1 talent. din't mean to russle your feathers falcon coach. read closer, to what i have posted, the undeniable difference in numbers between these state we are being compared to is unbelievable. pennsylvania and ohio are very close in proximity,west to east/ border to border/ between the two isn't as much as kansas (i didn't have time to look it up, haha). but penn has over 30 ncaa schools with wrestling, i think ohio has 5. not all of the wrestlers/ coaches are from those states. but geography and population alone, give those wrestlers a 35/0, better exposure to d1 talent. not just coaches, wrestlers too, you know as well as i do, in this sport, you should learn from everyone. certainly exposure goes farther than learning, it also counts is recruiting, scholarships, commradarie, etc.

you cannot deny, the numbers are stacked against ks kids. does that mean, we won't have d1 wrestlers certainly not, it's just going to be tough, and i didn't think it was fair to put it all on the kids, like it seems some have done. sorry for any hard feelings.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: 2010 All-American List (former KS HS wrestlers) [Re: HEADUP] #166522 03/25/10 02:23 PM
I
ike Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I think exposure is certainly a part of the equation. That is something that KS Wrestling as a group could easily work on. A simple mailing to College coaches with stats, video, etc. I think that would create opportunity.

Re: 2010 All-American List (former KS HS wrestlers) [Re: HEADUP] #166726 03/27/10 01:58 AM
M
M.Church_AD Offline
M
Originally Posted By: HEADUP

no one is taking anything away from any coach in kansas. of course you have coached d1 talent. din't mean to russle your feathers falcon coach. read closer, to what i have posted, the undeniable difference in numbers between these state we are being compared to is unbelievable. pennsylvania and ohio are very close in proximity,west to east/ border to border/ between the two isn't as much as kansas (i didn't have time to look it up, haha). but penn has over 30 ncaa schools with wrestling, i think ohio has 5. not all of the wrestlers/ coaches are from those states. but geography and population alone, give those wrestlers a 35/0, better exposure to d1 talent. not just coaches, wrestlers too, you know as well as i do, in this sport, you should learn from everyone. certainly exposure goes farther than learning, it also counts is recruiting, scholarships, commradarie, etc.

you cannot deny, the numbers are stacked against ks kids. does that mean, we won't have d1 wrestlers certainly not, it's just going to be tough, and i didn't think it was fair to put it all on the kids, like it seems some have done. sorry for any hard feelings.

Oh, I did not get my feathers ruffled at all.. I was simply asking a question? I was actually cracking a joke more than anything.

I truly believe if Coaches, no matter what caliber, dedicate to becoming better and educating themselves they will evolve with the sport. I believe if a coach is o.k. with asking another coach a question without feeling less than them will become great. The coach that scares me is the one that is still doing the same things we did 10-20 years ago... There are a lot of factors that are sometimes out of coaches hands when it comes to putting together a DI athlete... Money, Time, Diet, Grades, resources etc are a lot of times hard for coaches and athletes which restricts them. That is what makes the true DI athlete special!

A coach is merely a salesman to College programs. I have to do everything I can... ethically and honestly, to sell that athlete to a school. Email, Film, Stats and simple phone calls are huge. DI Coaches are always looking... They just sometimes need help finding the gold that is out there!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 205 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)