Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Motel manners #166765 03/27/10 10:13 PM
F
Firewife93 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
This is our third year at state. But last night was BY FAR the worst example I have EVER seen of poor parenting and kids running wild.

Don't you think if your kid is wrestling their heart out the next day that you ought to GET THEM TO BED EARLY??? How about feeding them a good supper and getting to bed by 9:00? Makes sense to me as most of us had to get up around 5 or 6 am to make it to the opening ceremony on time.

In our motel last night there were kids running up and down the hall until very late. Parents were laying around out in the hallway, drinking beer and just yelling at their kids while they ran wild! I could not believe it. The poor motel staff was just astounded, you could tell by their faces.

Please parents: GROW UP. Be the parent. At the very least, corral them into your own motel room, so the rest of us can go to sleep!

Re: Motel manners [Re: Firewife93] #166766 03/27/10 10:15 PM
F
Firewife93 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I am really hoping that tonight will be different. My son is wrestling tomorrow and I'd really like him to get a decent night's sleep.

Last edited by Firewife93; 03/27/10 10:16 PM.
Re: Motel manners [Re: Firewife93] #166773 03/28/10 01:09 AM
C
CWB Offline
C
Lots of people now think they need to be the kids friends not there parents.To many people set on the side lines and let the kids pick at will.

Re: Motel manners [Re: CWB] #166777 03/28/10 02:14 AM
N
n7m13c99 Offline
N
Amen sister out motel was the same. Now tonight parents in the hall drinking. Kids I know wrestle tomorrow still up running the halls!!!! WOW!!!!! What an example we are setting for our young wrestlers. Even at the Expo center it was rude behavior. I saw a man yell at an older woman she was about 70 or older. Because she sat in one of his seats. D$%* give me a break!!!!!

Re: Motel manners [Re: n7m13c99] #166779 03/28/10 03:04 AM
C
CWB Offline
C
His seats mmmmm I was thinking they where the Expos seats.

Re: Motel manners [Re: Firewife93] #166785 03/28/10 11:12 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
It might help if you said which motel it was.

Re: Motel manners [Re: sportsfan02] #166787 03/28/10 12:30 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Complain to the hotel management. Doubt much will happen but it better than nothing.

This is my 21st year of teaching in public schools. And, like somebody wrote above, one big problem is parents trying to be buddies with their kids, rather than parents to their kids. Their kid gets a bad grade and they (the parent/parents) go on the offense and 'attack' the teacher rather than their own kid. . . In a lot of homes the kids run the show and they are not accountable to anyone, about anything. Sad deal. TV/X-BOX, Nitendo/Fast Food-Super-Size Me generation. . .

Yes, we still have some great parents and some great kids. But, not near as many as we used to.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Motel manners [Re: Dean Welsh] #166789 03/28/10 01:36 PM
F
Firewife93 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Maybe it's all because of our general attitude that we are "entitled" to whatever we want to do. Our society seems to have no regard or concern for how our own behavior might affect others.

We are teaching our own children how to behave in a motel. Not that you can't have fun, but you can't run wild like an animal. You have to say "excuse me" when you get on the elevator instead of pushing your way through. You can't slam doors, jump on the bed, and act like you are in a fun house. You have to have some good judgment and try not to interfere with the stay of fellow travelers.

I'm not a perfect parent. I mess up. I'm just concerned that we are raising an entire generation that is so self-centered that they cannot see beyond their own self.

Another thought: when your child is well-fed and well-rested, they will wrestle better.

Re: Motel manners [Re: Firewife93] #166796 03/28/10 03:21 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Firewife93
Maybe it's all because of our general attitude that we are "entitled" to whatever we want to do. Our society seems to have no regard or concern for how our own behavior might affect others.

We are teaching our own children how to behave in a motel. Not that you can't have fun, but you can't run wild like an animal. You have to say "excuse me" when you get on the elevator instead of pushing your way through. You can't slam doors, jump on the bed, and act like you are in a fun house. You have to have some good judgment and try not to interfere with the stay of fellow travelers.

I'm not a perfect parent. I mess up. I'm just concerned that we are raising an entire generation that is so self-centered that they cannot see beyond their own self.

Another thought: when your child is well-fed and well-rested, they will wrestle better.

Agreed. With a few tweaks.

They (kids) 'can and will' - we (adults) just have to give them consequences.

We can't control their choices or their behavior. But, we can sure as he-- control/give them consequences. Heaven help us if we don't/aren't.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Motel manners [Re: Dean Welsh] #166805 03/28/10 07:41 PM
Allie Offline
We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott. I have to say that there was very little chaos in the halls. Upon check in I had to sign a piece of paper stating that I would be responsible for my (4) kids behavior while they were in the hotel. The agreement specifically stated what was expected from the kids AND parents.
Other than the kids who were playing hide and seek in the hallways - and that was early and you have to be very quiet playing hide and seek in the hallways!! - the kids and parents were very well mannered. So, I guess my friend totally scored when she made our reservations!

Re: Motel manners [Re: Allie] #166829 03/29/10 02:46 AM
T
Takealookatthat Offline
T
Yes your friend did!! My friend got us rooms at the Holidome on Fairlawn..we've always enjoyed this motel! Didn't realize we would be woke up 3am Sat morning to a very loud/disruptive confrontation between Topeka Police Dept and people rooming a couple rooms down from us...the confrontation became so intense that my whole family, including my young kids, was woke up and witnessed 2 young men (assuming they were wrestlers)being tazzed and placed in handcuffs by the police!! There were 5 police when we looked out our door and a very distraut dad!!OMG!! I don't know what the situation was, really don't care..In the last 8 yrs of coming to state have never witnessed anything of this magnitude..However I do have one question, were these outta control kids allowed to wrestle the weekend??

Goes back to the statement made above, parents wanting to be "buddies" and not parents! Kids have way too much leadway and not enuff consiquences!

As we all know, kids don't forget a thing...as we were arriving home tonight, my son said, "mom do you remember the cop sitting on top of that kid tazzing him!" Don't think this will be an unforgotten trip to state!

Re: Motel manners [Re: Takealookatthat] #166842 03/29/10 11:10 AM
P
plumgang5 Offline
P
Kids running up and down the hall until after midnight, and parents in the gathering spot downstairs being way too loud...so loud we could hear entire conversations in our second floor room. How frustrating! At first, I thought, "Surely these can't be wrestling families?" until I heard a man ask one of the kids running down the hall, "Are you in the finals tomorrow?" (and didn't need to be at the Expo until late morning?). South Topeka Blvd Super 8. Really nice inside, BTW.

Re: Motel manners [Re: plumgang5] #166850 03/29/10 12:00 PM
A. Steele Offline
We stayed at the Hyatt and it was quiet and very nice. Almost fell asleep on the couch Saturday night at about 9:00. The staff was even helped work through a problem with the clubs account. Would stay at this hotel again next year. Wrestlers and parents all were great.

A. Steele

Andrew Steele
ford69f100@yahoo.com
Re: Motel manners [Re: A. Steele] #166862 03/29/10 12:54 PM
A
AppFan Offline
A
We staryed at the Ramada and did not have any issues. I only heard about 1 or two kids after 10:00 pm slept like a baby both nights. The parents were fairly quite in the atrium area. Drinking yes but not rowdy.
I would have liked to seen someone get tasered and let me son watch just to show him how that probalby hurts like heck. Any volunteers,???

Re: Motel manners [Re: AppFan] #166863 03/29/10 12:55 PM
A
AppFan Offline
A
Spell check police not necessary..

Re: Motel manners [Re: AppFan] #166866 03/29/10 01:05 PM
Owlbacker Offline
You must have been in a different part of the hotel. We were in room 159 downstairs and at 2:00 Sunday morning we got to hear a guy kicking in his hotel room while screaming at his wife...then hear him break everything in his room for 20 minutes before the cops got there. It was after 4 before it got silent. It really didnt bother me, it sure beat what was on TV.

Paul McPhillips
Re: Motel manners [Re: Owlbacker] #166869 03/29/10 01:15 PM
A
AppFan Offline
A
Please tell me I did not miss a tasering.
Hate to see his bill the next day.
And we were on the 8th floor so I did not hear a thing,

Re: Motel manners [Re: Takealookatthat] #166871 03/29/10 01:24 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Did anyone say "don't tase me bro"?

Re: Motel manners [Re: sportsfan02] #166873 03/29/10 01:30 PM
Owlbacker Offline
There was a very entertaining couple of minutes in there. Apparantly he has having trouble breaking some object and it took more than one try. He got a little louder each try and a bit more animated with his language. It reminded me of that movie "christmas story" when the old man would argue with the furnace. Just another memory from state. I hope there are better ones to come.

Paul McPhillips
Re: Motel manners [Re: Takealookatthat] #166877 03/29/10 01:56 PM
C
ctpmama Offline
C
We were also at the Holidome. My kids were in bed by 9- asleep. Luckily, they are heavy sleepers and the chaos outside didnt wake them. I, however, couldnt sleep due to the noise and the kids running down the halls. I think it was around 1am sunday when someone was running up and down the halls knocking on doors. It was extremely frustrating. I manage to control my children, it would be nice if other people could do the same! Aside from the parents and the kids- the hotel staff was useless. Dont know that we will be back in that hotel next year if my son earns his way back to state.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 101 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)