Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Derby Entries #176399 12/12/10 02:07 PM
N
Namwen Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I don't want this to come off a sounding like a jerk but is Derby really requiring a 5 dollar donation added into their entry fee? I have parents that are asking if they are really required to make a donation to a group that they have no idea what it is and to be forced into a donation is upsetting to people? Can someone from the Derby group please weigh in on this and maybe explain it to me a little better so I can pass the information along.

Thanks!

Re: Derby Entries [Re: Namwen] #176403 12/12/10 02:31 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
The entry fee for the Derby Tom Faust Memorial Tournament is $20.00, of which $5.00 will be donated to Team-Logan, which is a medical fund.

"TEAM LOGAN is working hard to raise funds to help Logan Xanders’ family pay for the costs associated with his pending heart transplant. As a community we can provide the help necessary for Logan and his family."

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Derby Entries [Re: Namwen] #176404 12/12/10 02:31 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
If it is required, can it be called a "donation"?

Re: Derby Entries [Re: sportsfan02] #176406 12/12/10 02:46 PM
B
Ben Dover Offline
B
Sounds to me like the entry fee is $20.00 . When that is paid it is the clubs money and they have decided to donate a portion of THEIR money to a charity. They are certainly free to do whatever they want with it.

Last edited by Ben Dover; 12/12/10 02:50 PM.

Steve Earle
Re: Derby Entries [Re: Ben Dover] #176410 12/12/10 02:59 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Ben Dover
Sounds to me like the entry fee is $20.00 . When that is paid it is the clubs money and they have decided to donate a portion of THEIR money to a charity. They are certainly free to do whatever they want with it.

Kinda how I see it as well. A club can charge whatever amount they want, and what they do with that money is their business. If I feel they are charging too much I will take my business elsewhere.

Re: Derby Entries [Re: sportsfan02] #176419 12/12/10 05:19 PM
B
Ben Dover Offline
B
Yes its pretty simple really, the entry fee is 20.00 dollars if you want to go, pay the money! If you don’t want to go, don’t pay the money! Did the tournament you went to last week, or the one your going to next week tell you how your entry money would be spent?? Maybe you would not like some of their expenditures either. Why get upset because Derby wants to donate some of their money?

On the other hand I do sympathize with the desire to not pay inflated costs, that are not associated to the service being offered. Interesting question.

Last edited by Ben Dover; 12/12/10 05:50 PM.

Steve Earle
Re: Derby Entries [Re: Ben Dover] #176498 12/13/10 03:57 AM
Pelland Offline
I went to pre-register kids and there isn't any separation criteria to choose? Also went to look at the flyer and the link is broke.

Re: Derby Entries [Re: Pelland] #176518 12/13/10 12:40 PM
M
MarkButcher
Unregistered
MarkButcher
Unregistered
M
I spend 10 times that on junk food at tournaments. Derby has one of the biggest and best tournaments in Kansas. $20.00 is a bargan. Thanks Derby

Mark Butcher
316-312-8037

Re: Derby Entries [Re: Pelland] #176520 12/13/10 12:56 PM
C
Crash99 Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Pelland
I went to pre-register kids and there isn't any separation criteria to choose? Also went to look at the flyer and the link is broke.

I am working the issues and trying to figure out why the separation criteria isn't on the pre-reg site when I specifically set it up a certain way...I have an email in to the guys at trackwrestling and that should be fixed in the near future. As for the link being broke, that was my fault, I was in there and inadvertently deleted a letter in the html code. I have since fixed the link to the flyer.

"Everything we do should be for the future of our children."
Re: Derby Entries [Re: Crash99] #176539 12/13/10 04:16 PM
Mike Dipman Offline
Craig to bad you didnt have it seperated out where you could of added whatever you want on top of the 15. Or maybe take up a collection at the tournament, that way if you want to give more than five dollars you can. The xanders family are great people and have been part of the kansas wrestling family for years. I just feel that if we have the means to help out one of our wrestling brothers in this type of situation we should.

Re: Derby Entries [Re: Mike Dipman] #176544 12/13/10 05:01 PM
BLT Offline
Im sure they will have ways for people to donate more.
They also sold Team Logan wrist bands, maybe they will have some of those there.
I think its awesome Derby is doing this to help someone and should not be criticized because they were honest enough to tell everyone what they planned to do with part of the entry fee!

Re: Derby Entries [Re: BLT] #176573 12/13/10 10:11 PM
Mike Dipman Offline
I feel the same way BLT. I think its great what they are doing and is a good example to all the kids in kids wrestling and maybe parents to.

Re: Derby Entries [Re: Mike Dipman] #176620 12/14/10 06:40 AM
C
Crash99 Offline
C
My son is planning on selling the Team Logan bracelets at the tournament as well.

"Everything we do should be for the future of our children."
Re: Derby Entries [Re: Crash99] #176632 12/14/10 02:43 PM
U
up4wrestling Offline
U
I find it odd that some are offended at finding out they are helping a family in need even if doing so by default. I applaud the Derby wrestling community for reaching out to the this family! If at the beginning of the tournament if you were unaware that this was being done...and they had a moment before starting the tournament where they presented Logan and his family with the donation...would you applaud or boo and complain? I would be clapping and have tears in my eyes ...feel blessed to have good health.

Merry Christmas!
Kim Lovvorn

Re: Derby Entries [Re: up4wrestling] #176654 12/14/10 07:31 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Copied below is an article which provides additional information.

Team Logan raising funds to help family defray expenses for heart transplant

Team Logan raising funds to help family defray expenses for heart transplant

August 6th, 2010 5:26 pm CT
By Leslie Chaffin, Wichita Charity Examiner

You wouldn't know to look at the photos on the TEAM LOGAN Facebook page that Logan Xanders recently went through a heart transplant. Now 14 years old and getting ready to start as a Freshman at Derby High School, Logan was diagnosed with Dilated Cardiomyopathy when he was six weeks old.

"Logan's body was the signal that it was time to look for a heart," said his father, Roger Xanders. "It took him to 14 years old and then he became quite sick in March this year. He was listed for a heart on June 18, a donor was found June 23 and the transplant was on June 24."

Dilated Cardiomyopathy is an enlarged heart and throughout his life, Logan has lived with certain activity restrictions, including not being able to play baseball which he loves. It has meant trips to Denver Children's Hospital and for his most recent medical needs and the transplant, St. Louis Children's Hospital. Throughout, Logan has maintained a positive attitude. According to Roger, everyone pulling together has really brought out the caring side in younger brothers Hunter (8) and Garret (12). You can tell in his voice that he is very proud of his sons.

"The day of Logan's transplant, there was a younger boy there named Ethan, who was also going into surgery," Roger said. "Logan befriended him and took on kind of a big brother role, and told him that he could do it."

The Xanders know that it was a blessing that a donor heart was found so quickly for their son. Roger noted that the day of Logan's operation was also Roger's father's birthday. Roger, Sr. passed away in 2000 from cancer.

"Facebook really helped us get information out on Logan's progress so that his friends and our family could keep up on his condition," said Roger. "We sent out updates almost every half hour during the surgery and could see comments coming in at 3 a.m. That let us know people were out there with us."

Roger said they were fortunate to be able, for the two weeks following the heart transplant, to stay in an apartment at the Ronald McDonald House in St. Louis. It allowed the family privacy and friends could come to visit. Yet, they had the support of the staff at Ronald McDonald House if they needed it.

"Logan was listening to his heart every day through the stethoscope," said Roger. "The staff at St. Louis Children's Hospital gave him a stethoscope to take home. While he doesn't listen every day now, it's still a wonder to have a heart that works like it should."

Logan is excited that everything is going as it should with his new heart, and that the doctors both Dr. Canter in St. Louis and Dr. Simon in Kansas City, are very happy about the progress since the transplant. A recent trip to Kansas City this week for a biopsy and heart cath turned into a doctor's appointment when two emergencies at the hospital derailed the original appointment. The good news was that Logan can now go swimming.

Doctor visits will be long distance to Kansas City for the next few months, then eventually, Logan will be able to see his pediatric cardiologist in Wichita. Trips to KC will be monthly at least to the end of this year. He will also be on immuno-suppressant medications the rest of his life, but it seems a small effort to be able to look forward to more activities and to living.

What people often don't think about is that there are many expenses beyond the medical ones when a family faces a serious illness. Facebook has also been helpful for the TEAM LOGAN group of supporters to let people know about fund raising to help the family. From Team Logan bracelets to an upcoming golf tournament August 22, supporters have been able to see the different ways they can help this remarkable young man and his family. The Derby community has also jumped in to help, most recently, with Gage Chiropractic Center donating its profits on July 27 to the Team Logan fund.

When talking with the Xanders, they don't say much about the costs, what they're thankful for is that Logan is getting stronger every day. "We'll always worry," said Roger. "But that's part of what parents do when it comes to their kids." You can also count on them encouraging you to become an organ donor and sign the back of your driver's license. "Without a donor, Logan would not be able to face a future," added Roger. "And for that we are most thankful."

To find out more about Team Logan and how you can help, email teamloganx@yahoo.com. Team Logan bracelets are $5 and the upcoming Team Logan Golf Fund Raiser at Derby Golf & Country Club is $70 per person or $280 a team. All proceeds and 100% of the green fees will go to the Team Logan Fund.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Derby Entries [Re: RichardDSalyer] #176706 12/15/10 02:45 PM
TJG Mom Offline
Hats off to Derby.. Want to say that this club is always doing things for other people in hard times. Maybe the world would be a better place if there were more people like the Derby Wrestling Club. I know this first hand. About 6 years ago. I was in a bad spot when My son Tyler got sick with CANCER. The Derby Club was there and raised money for Tyler. Ya, he didn't make it. But why we were fighting the cancer. The help that came from them helped alot. I know that there are good peolpe out there. I want to Say THANKS TO ALL THAT HEPLED US in a time of need. So, lets all do the same for this young man and Help with no cring about the $5 that is going to TEAM LOGEN!!! We are to be better peolpe than that. So, if you think paying $20 is to much(IMO) you need to find a new sport.. I do want to say that Im Very proud of Derby and there club for all that they do for a fellow man in need..

Re: Derby Entries [Re: TJG Mom] #176710 12/15/10 04:13 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Funny how people bring it up to complain, AFTER they have entered the tourney, which clearly had "divulged" this sinister plan, on its flyer........

Pay the fee, or go somewhere else.

Re: Derby Entries [Re: doug747] #176731 12/15/10 09:59 PM
C
CBR's Dad Offline
C
For anyone to complain about paying an extra 5 $ for a family in need is just crazy. Our we so shallow and selfish that we can't come off of five dollars to help someone in need. I'm ashamed to be associaated with anyone who would consider this wrong. Namwen in your original post I know you didn't mean to come off like a jerk but by just asking you showed your parents true colors.
Tell your parents if they don't want to go don't go! This close to christmas and people are acting this way! What a shame.

Re: Derby Entries [Re: CBR's Dad] #176740 12/16/10 01:31 AM
BLT Offline
Nam it was an honest question and you may of just been the messenger....
Just take pride in knowing that part of your entry fee is going to an awesome cause.
Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 136 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,369
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)