Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Derby #176882 12/18/10 10:46 PM
H
haskins6 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Well another well run tournament. And good job Zack combs you got us. We know it will be a good tough match whenever you and Garrett hook up. Keep up the good work and will see ya next time

Re: Derby [Re: haskins6] #176936 12/19/10 03:32 PM
G
Greg Murray Offline
G
We lost a sony camera bag at the Derby tournament. If any one found it or grabed it by mistake pleasae give me a call. 785-925-1642. Thanks

Re: Derby [Re: Greg Murray] #176971 12/20/10 12:48 AM
TJG Mom Offline
Derby was a well runned tournament this year. This was the first time back there in a few years. But I do have one big complaint and that is. Who ever is doing nail checkes need to take a double look. When we got home to shower my son looked like he was in a knife fight and not a wrestling match. So, With all the germs and stuff out there. Would really like for the one who's job that is at weigh ins to make sure that you cant feel the nail. I know for a fact that not all weight ins even did nail and skin checks. So, other then that. The day was a great day.

Re: Derby [Re: TJG Mom] #177001 12/20/10 02:25 PM
C
C_Lindsey Offline
C
Unfortunately this is an issue that comes up when you have satellite weigh-ins. I can assure you that at the Derby sight everyone was checked.

I even heard that one club took advantage of our "weigh your own kids in" option and weighed their wrestlers in on Friday!!

I would bet there were some weight allowances given even thought there was a zero tolerance for open.

If people/coaches/clubs are not going to be honest these options will not be around very long.

Re: Derby [Re: C_Lindsey] #177004 12/20/10 02:30 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
I can say this was the first time I left the Derby tournament without wanting to shoot someone.

Great competition and and everything ran smooth.

Great Job!

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Derby [Re: C_Lindsey] #177008 12/20/10 03:23 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
[quote=C_Lindsey]
I even heard that one club took advantage of our "weigh your own kids in" option and weighed their wrestlers in on Friday!!
[quote]

The weigh-ins for the open were on Friday!

Re: Derby [Re: Teamroper] #177013 12/20/10 04:01 PM
roughly Offline
100% Agreed Tracy! In the past Derby has always been something for us to endure. Has always been great competition for the kids, but as a spectator, its brutal. THIS year, it was more tolerable.

Having said that, there were still WAY too many morons standing up matside on the mat table side. Sitting on THAT side of the gym was not the best deal. If you did, when it was match time, you had to go over to the other side, thus creating a log-jam of people matside, whom for the most part would sit down. Mostly.

Again, for a Derby tournament, this was run MUCH better and was MUCH better to "endure" than in the past several years. That is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Re: Derby [Re: TJG Mom] #177014 12/20/10 04:02 PM
roughly Offline
Agreed TJG! Same experience for us here!

Speaking specifically about nails/knife fight/etc... Having said that, during the period of time we were in the skin and nails check area, they seemed to be doing a decent job of checking for nails.

Re: Derby [Re: sportsfan02] #177015 12/20/10 04:03 PM
J
Jeremy Molloy Offline
J
I think he was talking about the novice weigh-in which was for saturday only that is what the weigh your own kids was for not the open.

Jeremy Molloy
Derby Wrestling
Re: Derby [Re: Jeremy Molloy] #177017 12/20/10 04:16 PM
C
C_Lindsey Offline
C
My fault!! Yes I was referring to the Novice weigh-ins.....since they were the only ones that had the "weigh in your own kids option". But thank you Sportfan 02 for catching that.

Re: Derby [Re: roughly] #177031 12/20/10 08:31 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
I told my parents before it started to sit on the other side. There was plenty of room on the other side, since Derby wrestled the novice kids on Sunday. Lots of breatheing room, smooth tourney, no complaints.

Re: Derby [Re: doug747] #177039 12/20/10 11:45 PM
X
X-Man Offline
X
I would like to say as the Director of The Derby Wrestling Club Thank You to ALL that attended this weekend’s Tom Faust Tournament. The Derby Wrestling Club made it a goal this year to have a tournament that was enjoyable to all that attends. I am asking if there are any suggestions on making this tournament better for you please contact me. The only way we can make our tournament better is to listen to those that attend and improve from there. This year as you noticed we provided the tournament workers with a bright color shirt so they can be easily spotted, we had the brackets up on the wall well before the doors opened on Saturday and they were constantly updated as the matches were finished. We moved the tournament from 1 day to 2 days. We also had the heat turned down in the gym’s to make it somewhat of an enjoyable temperature. All of this couldn’t have been done if it wasn’t for your suggestions that have been made to us from past tournaments. The Derby Wrestling Club strives each and every year to make this tournament better. With that said please message me and let me know what you would like to see done differently so we could look into making that happen. Again all of us at Derby Wrestling Club thank you that attended.

Roger Xanders
Club Director
Derby Wrestling Club

Re: Derby [Re: X-Man] #177105 12/21/10 09:55 PM
roughly Offline
Roger, I'd like to be one (among more I'm sure) to say thanks for making Derby MUCH more tolerable this year than the last several. ALL of the things you pointed out were noticed by myself (and many of the folks I was surrounded by that day). Actually this year my biggest complaint is not something you all can control and that is that there are seemingly more and more idiots these days no matter where one goes that walk around with rectal-cranial inversion and with apparently the notion that THEY are the ONLY ones in the world and NOBODY else has to do ANYTHING in the same vicinity as them. I mean if I've got to walk down the same hall you are, by all means PLEASE feel free to take up the entire hallway from wall to wall and also PLEASE take your sweet time and only clear me a path ONLY when the moment strikes you juuuuust right! SIGH!!!!

OH, and please also feel free to stand matside and obstruct my view and that of everybody else anywhere in the gym. WE are not important. YOU on the other hand are beyond important!

Thanks again Roger!

Re: Derby [Re: roughly] #177107 12/21/10 10:14 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
One thing that I want to point out that needs to be said also:

If we want these tourneys to continue, we have to learn that it is NOT someone else's job to pick up your pop bottles, half eaten nachos, and dirty diapers. It is unbelievable to me, that we have THIS MANY people that can't pick up after themselves. The welfare/entitlement mentality is everywhere, even in our great sport.

If you don't leave your spot in the bleachers at least as clean as it was when you got there, you are a lazy idiot. End of story.

Re: Derby [Re: doug747] #177111 12/22/10 12:06 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
love this tournament every year for the competition. only thing i noticed was every time a kid took 2 steps he was out of bounds one way or the other. in one of my sons matches they went out of bounds every 5 seconds and i saw several times where kids from a mat went flying into another mat hitting the other wrestlers or jumping over them. the refs did pretty good about re-starting them or even jumping between them but the mat space was pretty narrow. not sure what can be done about that but thats all i have. will be back each and every year.

Scott Bockover
Re: Derby [Re: doug747] #177122 12/22/10 04:30 AM
roughly Offline
I'd like to second, third, and fourth that!!! AGREED! and WELL SAID "doug747"!

Last edited by rough; 12/23/10 05:47 PM. Reason: wanted to clarify whom I was propitizing
Re: Derby [Re: roughly] #177126 12/22/10 06:05 AM
H
haskins6 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
The only compliant I've had with Derby is to crouded. But this year much better. I can remember one year being told to go to the stands only problem was their was no were to sit. We were in the small Jim this year. So I don't know how it was in the other Jim. But I was very happy with are exaperiance. Even though Garrett didn't do as well as well as we hoped

Re: Derby [Re: haskins6] #177138 12/22/10 03:57 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Not that it is a complaint, but if anoyone had problem it might cause you one some at some point.

It seemed like our kids had alot of matches very close to each other 6-8 matches apart.

I didn't worry about it, it isn't like this is a qualifying even anyways.

I know Craig talked about the novice and moving matches before he was ready, we had one kids that had less than a 10 minute spread. Again we were fine with it and that is what happens when you run a split tournament and RR brackets they go fast.

Again not a complaint, just an observation to consider next time.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Derby [Re: Teamroper] #177148 12/22/10 06:10 PM
C
Crash99 Offline
C
We try to make sure that all the kids got the proper rest time, however, (this happens on certain 32 man brackets as well) the backside matches tend to get crowded together if you don't have other brackets on that mat to fill in the spaces. Example, 32 man brackets have 7 rounds of backside matches PLUS the 5 rounds of Championship side matches. When a kid loses on the frontside he then goes to the backside and unfortunately, depending on the location of the bracket in which he crossed to the backside, he may cross from the bottom front side to the top backside which increases his chance of wrestling that backside match sooner due to the way the bouts are numbered. If you don't have a lot of round robins to fill in the gaps between rounds of the 32 man bracket, (and/or you have scratches in other brackets) the kids will seem to have to wrestle back to back matches. Then you have time constraints, where people want to get done (referees) so you try moving matches as other mats become available and that can cause bouts to skip numbers thus decreasing the time between matches for the kids. Like I said before, we tried to make sure that the kids got the proper rest time between matches. However, in the practice room do the kids get 30 minutes of rest between live wrestling with their practice partners...hmmm.

As for mat space, each kid wrestled on at least a half mat, with the bigger kids getting a full circle in the Aux Gym. I guess we could have gone to full circles for everyone, but we would still be wrestling until Christmas and there would be several different complaints to deal with.

Craig Gash
Derby Wrestling Club
Tournament Director

"Everything we do should be for the future of our children."
Re: Derby [Re: Crash99] #177186 12/23/10 07:19 AM
H
haskins6 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I say the sooner the better don't know why anyone would wont to sit in the gym for hr's just to get in two or three matches. My son feels the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 123 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,369
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)