Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bowden to retire #178709 01/14/11 07:41 PM
J
J. Sauder Offline OP
OP Offline
J

January 14, 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
RICK BOWDEN TO RETIRE

Rick Bowden, Assistant Executive Director of the Kansas State High School Activities Association has announced his decision to retire from the KSHSAA staff effective July 1, 2011. Mr. Bowden has been a member of the Association staff for eighteen years. During that time he was responsible for the administration of the sports of football, wrestling, baseball, softball and track and field. In addition to conducting rules meetings for officials and coaches, Bowden was primarily responsible for administration of the post season football championships, state wrestling, baseball and softball tournaments and the KSHSAA’s state championship track and field meet. Bowden assisted in all aspects of the Associa­tion's operation including school classification and legislative relations.

Prior to joining the KSHSAA staff in 1993, Bowden was a widely respected teacher and coach at Goddard High School, Wichita West High School and taught four years at the Downtown Law, Public and Social Service Magnet High School in USD #259 Wichita. During his teaching career, he was a highly regarded contest official in football, wrestling and basketball. In addition to his twenty-four year career teaching and coaching, Bowden was elected to the Kansas Legisla­ture and served from 1985-1993 as a member of the Kansas House of Representatives. During his tenure Bowden chaired the House Education Committee and was very involved in moving key pieces of education legislation including changes to the school finance formula. In 1991 Bowden chaired the Governor’s Task Force on School Finance and rep­resented Kansas on the Education Commission on the States.

Bowden graduated from the College of Emporia with a Bachelor’s degree in social science and earned a Masters degree in Political Science from Wichita State University. Rick and his wife Sue plan to relocate to the vicinity of Lincoln, Ne­braska upon retirement and enjoy time with their two daughters, sons in law and their three granddaughters.

Re: Bowden to retire [Re: J. Sauder] #178752 01/15/11 10:52 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Stop jumping up and down so da-- much Will. You are making my whole house shake and you might wake up my daughters! grin

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Bowden to retire [Re: Dean Welsh] #178911 01/16/11 07:03 PM
10yrsAfter Offline
Rick: Thank you for your years of service to Kansas athletes.
Will: I agree with dwelsh; it's not like they're going to give you the job! :-)

Jeff Holmes
Former coach
Current educator
Always a fan
Re: Bowden to retire [Re: 10yrsAfter] #178931 01/16/11 10:57 PM
Q
Quagmire Offline
Q
Originally Posted By: 10yrsAfter

April 1, 2011

For Immediate Release

WILL COKELY TO ASSUME DUTIES OF ASSISTANT EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

The KSHSAA announces that it has hired Will Cokely to assume the duties of Assistant Executive Director of the Kansas State High School Activities Association. Mr. Cokely is replacing Rick Bowden who served in the same position for 18 years and Mr. Cokely will start his job immediately. He will be responsible for administering football, softball, baseball, wrestling, and track. Mr. Cokely has been involved in Kansas athletics for a number of years, mostly through his children and the Kansas “talk forums.”
In his press briefing today, Mr. Cokely announced that Kansas would no longer tolerate the “pussification of high school athletics” and believed that Kansas had turned the pages of history back and would once again be known as “Bloody Kansas.” The KSHSAA new motto is “Death with Honor.”
“Sports are derived from combat,” said Cokely in his statement, “combat means blood, we know that. Where is the blood in high school sports, the mayhem? Sure, you see a bloody nose or lip, but that’s just not enough for real men, where is the gore?” Under Mr. Cokely skin checks are no longer required and knives, so long as the blade is no longer than 2 inches, will be classified as “special equipment” for varsity wrestling starting in 2011-12.
In a separate release, Cokely announced that girls’ athletic programs would no longer be sanctioned by the state of Kansas but that additional programs would be added for “home ec and sewing classes, you know, things girls are good at” he said.
Mr. Cokely announced that a number of officials would be put to death, humanely, during the next several weeks, mostly by a “sleeper hold” that Mr. Cokely has perfected. Weeding out those with inferior officiating genetics will be a primary focus of the new administration. Mr. Cokely intends to personally wrestle with each official to determine that official’s qualifications.
Mr. Cokely said he is looking forward to the coming year and hopes that coaches, officials, and student-athletes will embrace the new philosophy which, he said, “will rival the greatest spectacles put on in the Roman Coliseum, now that was wrestling!”

Re: Bowden to retire [Re: Quagmire] #178936 01/16/11 11:44 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Now that's a good one! An early April fool's post!

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Bowden to retire [Re: Quagmire] #178937 01/16/11 11:45 PM
10yrsAfter Offline
Quagmire:
LOL...absolutely nailed it, except you forgot one thing:
ALL high school basketball programs will be disbanded and the money used for transportation expenses for Kansas wrestling teams to be aout to travel to national and international competitions!

Jeff Holmes
Former coach
Current educator
Always a fan
Re: Bowden to retire [Re: 10yrsAfter] #178938 01/16/11 11:51 PM
M
M.Church_AD Offline
M
Might be the funniest stuff I have read in 10 years on this forum!

Re: Bowden to retire [Re: Quagmire] #178943 01/17/11 12:48 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Quagmire
Originally Posted By: 10yrsAfter

April 1, 2011

For Immediate Release

WILL COKELY TO ASSUME DUTIES OF ASSISTANT EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

The KSHSAA announces that it has hired Will Cokely to assume the duties of Assistant Executive Director of the Kansas State High School Activities Association. Mr. Cokely is replacing Rick Bowden who served in the same position for 18 years and Mr. Cokely will start his job immediately. He will be responsible for administering football, softball, baseball, wrestling, and track. Mr. Cokely has been involved in Kansas athletics for a number of years, mostly through his children and the Kansas “talk forums.”
In his press briefing today, Mr. Cokely announced that Kansas would no longer tolerate the “pussification of high school athletics” and believed that Kansas had turned the pages of history back and would once again be known as “Bloody Kansas.” The KSHSAA new motto is “Death with Honor.”
“Sports are derived from combat,” said Cokely in his statement, “combat means blood, we know that. Where is the blood in high school sports, the mayhem? Sure, you see a bloody nose or lip, but that’s just not enough for real men, where is the gore?” Under Mr. Cokely skin checks are no longer required and knives, so long as the blade is no longer than 2 inches, will be classified as “special equipment” for varsity wrestling starting in 2011-12.
In a separate release, Cokely announced that girls’ athletic programs would no longer be sanctioned by the state of Kansas but that additional programs would be added for “home ec and sewing classes, you know, things girls are good at” he said.
Mr. Cokely announced that a number of officials would be put to death, humanely, during the next several weeks, mostly by a “sleeper hold” that Mr. Cokely has perfected. Weeding out those with inferior officiating genetics will be a primary focus of the new administration. Mr. Cokely intends to personally wrestle with each official to determine that official’s qualifications.
Mr. Cokely said he is looking forward to the coming year and hopes that coaches, officials, and student-athletes will embrace the new philosophy which, he said, “will rival the greatest spectacles put on in the Roman Coliseum, now that was wrestling!”

ROTFLMAO!!! Classic.

One slight correct. I'm pretty sure Will's last name is spelled "Cokeley". Better fix that ASAP or it will be off with your head you supporter of pussification!!! ;-)

With girl's programs eliminated, now Mr. Cokeley can hire a special staff. It WILL be called the "PSP". Pussification Spotter Police. Their sole purpose WILL be to be to report ASAP to Mr. Cokeley any infractions of the new rules/guidelines. They will like under cover agents. Their identifies will be destroyed. It will be like they never were born.

Ha. Nothing personal Will. Quag's was just too darn funny/original not to pony back onto.

Last edited by dwelsh; 01/17/11 03:49 AM. Reason: sped a wrd wong ha!

Re: Bowden to retire [Re: Dean Welsh] #178946 01/17/11 12:56 AM
D
doug747 Offline
D
You left out the part about Novice moms will be required to wear bikinis to tourneys. There is only one thing more important than being a HardA$$, and that is checking out hot moms..........

Re: Bowden to retire [Re: doug747] #178948 01/17/11 01:07 AM
W
wrestling67 Offline
W
Will has my vote, not that our votes count. I would bet our state would shine in our Great sport if he was in there!

Re: Bowden to retire [Re: Dean Welsh] #178951 01/17/11 01:08 AM
dalefish1 Offline
Mr: dwelsh,
I think you meant special staff (not stuff) but no matter, I'm
still laughing. I thought only Hinderliter had a sense of humor.
But this is Saturday Night Live stuff.

Re: Bowden to retire [Re: Quagmire] #178953 01/17/11 01:26 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Great stuff Quags, I almost thought you were serious:-)

Lee Girard
Re: Bowden to retire [Re: doug747] #178964 01/17/11 03:47 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: doug747
You left out the part about Novice moms will be required to wear bikinis to tourneys. There is only one thing more important than being a HardA$$, and that is checking out hot moms..........

Excellent! Excellent! Good idea! cool

Re: Bowden to retire [Re: dalefish1] #178965 01/17/11 03:58 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: dalefish1

HA! On Hinderliter, his reports always make me laugh to. And, we can't forget Ricky Bobby on the comedy scene. Thanks for pointing out my typo. It has been corrected.

Take care and watch out for the PSP!

Wait . . .

I think I see one pulling up in my driveway now. . . .

HELP!!! cry

Re: Bowden to retire [Re: Dean Welsh] #178969 01/17/11 05:07 AM
Ricky Bobby Offline
Originally Posted By: dwelsh

HA! On Hinderliter, his reports always make me laugh to. And, we can't forget Ricky Bobby on the comedy scene. Thanks for pointing out my typo. It has been corrected.

Take care and watch out for the PSP!

Wait . . .

I think I see one pulling up in my driveway now. . . .

HELP!!! cry

Thanks for thinking of me in this post. It's always nice to know that there are some good ole man crushes on the forum.

[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]
Re: Bowden to retire [Re: Ricky Bobby] #178972 01/17/11 05:30 AM
J. Dale Offline
Oh mannnnn. You mean it's not true. I think it's a great idea.

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: Bowden to retire [Re: doug747] #178974 01/17/11 10:08 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: doug747
Eye candy - sweet!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Bowden to retire [Re: dalefish1] #178975 01/17/11 10:10 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
I thought only Hinderliter had a sense of humor.
Former Coach DeWitt has been known for his humor.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Bowden to retire [Re: RichardDSalyer] #178981 01/17/11 01:01 PM
Ryan Jilka Offline
I'd better hit the treadmill before the matside weighins for the officials! Does anyone know what the BMI maximum will be to put on the stripes?

"The days I can keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are good days" ~ Judy Hubbard
Re: Bowden to retire [Re: wrestling67] #178991 01/17/11 02:04 PM
Cokeley Offline
What are the qualifications for being a NOVICE MOM, two kids or less?

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 99 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)