Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Catholic High School Wrestling #178802 01/16/11 01:07 AM
D
dschuh Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I am the Head Wrestling Coach at Hayden High in topeka. I was wondering if any of the other Catholic schools had the same problem that I have been facing. We are not allowed to wrestle girls, so at tournaments or duals we have to forfeit or try to get on the other side of the bracket and hope they don't meet. I think this rule is crazy, it's not 1950 anymore. When I tell other coaches at tourney's about this they cannot believe it. Just wanted to know if it was the same everywhere else. Thanks

Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: dschuh] #178803 01/16/11 01:09 AM
N
nickowen5 Offline
N
If I'm not mistaken both Bishop Carroll and Kapaun Mt. Carmel have to follow the same rule.

Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: nickowen5] #178807 01/16/11 01:36 AM
L
lakemats Offline
L
So, do they let you wrestle females during Regionals and State? What would happen if Hayden played a football game against a team that played a female player? I'm guessing because it's football, it's a different story. Hayden has always treated the wrestling program like a stepchild. Good luck coach.

Tim Horgan
Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: lakemats] #178811 01/16/11 01:51 AM
D
dschuh Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I don't think we are supposed to, but I hate to make a kid take a loss at regionals. I think it would just come down to the saying " didn't see it". And yes I think the football team would be allowed not sure why. Like you said though its football. And yes we get treated different. Thanks Coach, I admire your program and hope to get to that level.

Dustin Schuh

Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: dschuh] #178816 01/16/11 02:14 AM
K
KSwrestler103 Offline
K
Kapaun isn't allowed to wrestle girls when the event is at Kapaun. Our 103 kid beat the south girl last year at the GWAL tourney, but we forfeited to her a couple weeks earlier and that forfeit lost us the dual.

Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: dschuh] #178817 01/16/11 02:24 AM
RedStorm Offline
Somebody is on to something there. Suit up a girl against the football team and put this policy to the test.

I will admit, I am glad that none of my daughters have any desire to wrestle, because this is a sport for men. However, I have coached a handful of girl wrestlers, who worked just as hard in the wrestling room as the guys and deserved every achievement they earned.

One of my students wrestled a girl in the first round of state last year. He did not forfeit, nor was he required to. It would take a decree from the Pope for me to tell a wrestler to take a forfeit against a girl. If she made weight and steps on that line, she's just another wrestling opponent.

That rule is asinine and assumes the worst out of our student-athletes. If Hayden has co-ed dances then I find this policy to be quite hypocritical, as there is far more "immoral" body grinding at those things than there is in a wrestling match.

Vatican II came in about 50 years ago, might want to get with the program.

The H.C.I.C @ T.M.P.

Bill DeWitt
Wrestling Fan
Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: RedStorm] #178820 01/16/11 02:33 AM
D
dschuh Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I hear you RedStorm, totally agree. I want to get a petition or something going to change this. I think it would be more discriminatory to not wrestle the girl. I let a kid wrestle a girl at Regionals last year but no one was there to stop me.

Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: dschuh] #178868 01/16/11 01:04 PM
L
lylegeyer Offline
L
I am Catholic and all three of my girls wrestle. In fact i'm trying to get a girls team going out here in west ks. I think it is discriminatory, and ridiculous. My oldest won the championship yesterday with all pins against boys.
We are not in the 50's anymore. They are not having touchy feely time on the mat. It's a sport, and if you don't treat them equal and wrestle them the same as you would a boy you'll probably end up on the losing end. Well gotta hurry, it's Sunday morning and church is in 45 minutes. lol. Good thing we wrestle on Saturday.

Lyle Geyer dad and coach and Catholic with three girls wrestling.
cell # 303 -717- 5321

Last edited by lylegeyer; 01/16/11 01:13 PM.
Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: lylegeyer] #178878 01/16/11 02:31 PM
10yrsAfter Offline
That's really a rule? Geez, in my Imac days, we wrestled against girls all of the time -- her name escapes me, but there was the girl at SFT that was fantastic and went on to college and was a huge success. I'm hoping that's just a Hayden rule, and that it gets changed.

Jeff Holmes
Former coach
Current educator
Always a fan
Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: 10yrsAfter] #178880 01/16/11 03:01 PM
wrestlingAlum Offline
The 13 years I was at Bishop Ward, we had a couple of girls wrestle for us, and we never forfeited to girls.

Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: wrestlingAlum] #178896 01/16/11 06:15 PM
T
tom s Offline
T

Is this a rule for all Catholic school because we had a girl that wrestled for our school and Hayden would not wrestle her and it's not fair for Hayden and the girl to not get to wrestle. In schools today they have to have sports for both boys and girls so the state can't holler and just being catholic kids are no diffent than other school kids. It's time for schools that have that rule to rescen it and let kids grow up doing what they want, because catholic kids when born had no choice about being a catholic.

Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: tom s] #178897 01/16/11 06:19 PM
W
willie424 Offline
W
^^^^ Wooooo you just took a hit into my religion do not come on here bashing a religion okay we do have a choice if you have any knowledge about being catholic just being baptized does not dictate you being stuck as a catholic better take a step back.

Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: tom s] #178905 01/16/11 06:41 PM
M
my12floz Offline
M
Yes Tom you are walkin on thin ice here bud.I am Catholic, and im not going to give my personal opinion, but bashing Catholics is NOT!!! the way to get this rule changed.
Maybe some ideas on how to change the rule?

Kevin Hurla
Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: willie424] #178907 01/16/11 06:44 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Our nation is considering having women join combat arms units. I don't have any problem with that at all. If they can move, shoot and communicate, then they are welcome. Times are changing and we have to adapt to the times.

Lee Girard
Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: ReDPloyd] #178909 01/16/11 06:51 PM
10yrsAfter Offline
I will say this: While it was never an "order," I was asked to perhaps "steer" young ladies away from trying to go out back in the day, but I was never told they couldn't. As for competing against them, that was never a rule. I remember (finally) Brooke Bogran from SFT and Chelsea Arhold from Marion as being State qualifiers back in those days, and didn't one of the Oaks in Missouri (Park or Grove) have girl either place or win State back in the early 2000s? As a matter of fact, Maur Hill had a girl for a year or two, as I recall. I'm thinking this might just be a Hayden rule.

Jeff Holmes
Former coach
Current educator
Always a fan
Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: 10yrsAfter] #178910 01/16/11 07:03 PM
RedStorm Offline
Nobody is bashing Catholics here, and if you are, take a number. I could see this rule being in place at a public school as well. All it takes is a board to make that happen. It just happens to be that it is the case for this particular school, that happens to be Catholic. Obviously, it is not the case for all schools, privite or otherwise.

Lyle, I applaud your efforts to try and get a girls team in Western Kansas. However, if your daughters have just a hint of your skill set, we might be better served just to take the forfeit and save a beat down.

Bill DeWitt
Wrestling Fan
Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: RedStorm] #178957 01/17/11 02:12 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
so if some teams were smart in duals they would just sign up the cheerleaders on the wrestling team and when they do in fact wrestle those schools they just put an all girl line up for the win. something just isnt right about that rule. my kids will be going to carroll so i hope my sons do not have to take a loss or maybe an only loss on the season due to that.

Scott Bockover
Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: bockman] #178962 01/17/11 02:29 AM
10yrsAfter Offline
The year I came back to Iowa, we wrestled a make-up tournament the week between conference and Sectionals. I had a couple of kids hurt, and we had flu going through the room, so we had some open weights. The week before the tournament, one of my senior managers -- the daughter of an old teammate of mine -- came to me and said she wanted to wrestle at the tournament. It was a two-pool round-robin. She got pinned in the first period in her first period, made it to the second in her second one. After a bye, she was going to wrestle for fifth place, and the kid she was going to wrestle was awful. So when she went out for the match, the other coach looked at the official and I and shook his head. It was a default and she retired with a 1-2 record. It was fun.

Jeff Holmes
Former coach
Current educator
Always a fan
Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: 10yrsAfter] #178966 01/17/11 04:22 AM
D
dschuh Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I was talking to a coach this weekend at the tournament and we dual his team friday. He said he would just go out and find 14 girls and sweep us, hopefully he was joking. Thanks for all the comments. I am going to look into finding who to talk to and what I have to do to try to get this stupid rule changed. Maybe my administration is just keeping me in the dark and they are really the one's that don't want us to wrestle girls. Again thanks!
Dustin Schuh

Re: Catholic High School Wrestling [Re: dschuh] #178967 01/17/11 04:45 AM
10yrsAfter Offline
Good luck Dustin! Do it diplomatically, but I would look into it. At least see if you can get an actually answer. I just find it hard to believe the archdiochese sent this down this rule.

Jeff Holmes
Former coach
Current educator
Always a fan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 125 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)