Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Quit painting bad thoughts [Re: BLT] #184894 03/01/11 02:38 AM
J
jerry davis Offline
J
I have had my fair share of run ins with a few people with TOHK but there is one thing for sure Charlie always does what he can for the community and for the kids. A lot of people see them as being loud and always being rude. I see them as being passionate. Yes they tend to get out of hand and some of it has been handled.

I have yet to see MRS. Taylor at a tournament that she hasn't asked me how my son is doing with a smile. And if you would tell her that my son got 2nd this weekend.

I was one of the ones that was glad to see that Goddard wouldn't let them in their tournament.Now that I have got to know more than just the loud ones I have realized what some of the people at TOHK have done for the community and for some wrestlers that wouldn't have got to go college without the guidance of that crew. And for that you have my up most respect. Just remember this is all for the future of the kids and not for the heat of the moment.

Re: Quit painting bad thoughts [Re: jerry davis] #184904 03/01/11 03:23 AM
C
chadpore Offline
C
Coach Knox,

I learned many things in my time as a wrestler with you, Coach Taylor, Coach Rich, Coach Fox, and others as my coaches. Most of what I learned was not about wrestling, but about life. I learned that if I am going to do something I must do it 100% all of the time and that quitting is not an option. I learned that it does not matter what challenge lies ahead I must embrace it as it will make me a better individual. I learned that in order to be successful it takes commitment, but more importantly it takes hard-work as nothing will be handed to me free. Out of all the life-lessons I learned there is one that will always stick with me and that is devotion. You have always been to devoted to providing kids with an opportunity to exceed in wrestling and in life. This devotion has propelled many kids without futures to success in life. I remember all of the times you picked kids up before practice or tournaments and dropped them off when done. I have never seen you quit on any kid regardless of race, color, or creed. Thank you for what you provided me and every other kid that has been blessed to pass through the mats of TOHK.

For those of you who criticize Coach Knox and his program I leave you with two thoughts.....1) When you sign up for the talk forum you agree to the following statement..."If you are going to post a message critical of an individual, group or idea, you must give your true name and/or email address. Be willing to stand behind your comments, or keep them to yourself." I have no problem with anyone expressing their opinion, but defend what you say an post your true name. Do not hide behind your forum name. 2) I am 33-years old and TOHK has been criticized for as long as I can remember. Yes, they have had some wrestlers and coaches that have shown poor sportsmanship, but I witness that every weekend from many programs throughout Kansas. I have seen wrestlers throw their headgear, refuse to shake hands, and throw complete fits and none of them were part of TOHK. I have seen coaches berate officials, shove other coaches, and berate wrestlers for poor performance and none of them were part of TOHK. I have witnessed parents make 6-year olds cry because they lost and blame officials for bad calls and yell at other fans and non of them were part of TOHK. The problems described with TOHK happen everywhere in wrestling yet no one discusses those issues. TOHK kids are well coached, dedicated, and wrestle hard. Along with their parents most of them have more heart and dedication to wrestling than most everyone else. Yes, they get emotional, but that is because of their desrie to succeed in wrestling. I wish everyone had that desire. Instead of criticizing try supporting them for a change. I have personally witnessed people say bad things about TOHK simply because they hear about from a fiend of a friend. Make an effort to get to know them and form you own opinion. There are some bad apples in most programs so do not hold the actions of a few against the entire team.

Chad Pore
TOHK Alum!

Re: Quit painting bad thoughts [Re: jerry davis] #184906 03/01/11 03:42 AM
coachsamilton Offline
@ Mr. Davis: You are correct when you point out the fact that Aunt Pam (Mrs. Taylor) is a caring individual.

It is important everyone understands that the family that runs TOHK are life savers to some. No matter what any one person says, it was Coach Taylor that would be up at 5am to pick kids up for high school morning practice. I wasn’t the only one they helped along the way and want to say that I am grateful for everything! I can not thank TOHK enough for giving me direction at an early age. I remember times when Danny Deshazer and Bryant Richards first went to Labette and thinking to myself, one day i'm going to go to college.

I am the first in my immediate family to go to college, for my mother painted the picture with a belt many times. It was the family of TOHK that helped me stay away from gangs through wrestling. Have I made mistakes growing up, you better believe it. But I can count on one hand the people from my neighbor that graduated from college and we all wrestled for Coach Knox and Coach Taylor at one part of our lives.

Some of the comments that have been posted are meaningless unless you leave a name. You are scared to do so for you could no longer be phony in their faces. I feel sorry for you for there is nothing more small than a coward. You fear "them" for you are beneath the greatness of TOHK. I pray that you allow your hearts to forgive because none of us are perfect (ex: the previous sentence was kind of negative.) When you allow yourself to step back from the aggression of wrestling then maybe you can get to know the Taylor, Knox, Carter, and Deshazer families. Wrestling is a tough sport, GO HARD OR GO HOME....

And please stop pointing out all of our negatives. Last year I coached and officiated in the Greater Wichita area and can honestly say that TOHK is not the only team that has faults. I enjoyed this post Coach Knox, Love you! Tim

Re: Quit painting bad thoughts [Re: coachsamilton] #184907 03/01/11 03:46 AM
coachsamilton Offline
Well said, Coach Pore!!!

Re: Quit painting bad thoughts [Re: coachsamilton] #184918 03/01/11 04:54 AM
C
Cluckner Offline
C
As a coach in this area for many years I can say one thing for certain....TOHK always brings it. I may not always agree with the antics that happen off the mat, but those kids that are in the circle believe in what their coaches teach them. Coach Knox and his group have done a great thing for this community, and I salute them for it. Anyone who has been around any type of youth sport knows the one unpredictable aspect is the parents/coaches. If Coach Knox says he has, and is continuing to take steps to curb that, then his word is good enough for me.

Clint Luckner
Dad2greatboys@gmail.com

Re: Quit painting bad thoughts [Re: coachsamilton] #184920 03/01/11 05:19 AM
KU HATER Offline
As it is always said the bad out weighs the good. Bad sportsmanship is noticed before good sportsmanship. A wrestler showing bad sportsmanship on the mat will be given more attention by the crowd than a wrestler presenting good sportsmanship on the mat. It is the nature of the beast. The same is said about the coaches that represent the wrestling clubs that they coach for. A coach that runs half way across a mat yelling and screaming, while the match is in progress I might add, disputing a call that they have question with shows great disrespect to the refs and to the other coaches on the mat. WHY NOT TRY AND RESERVE YOUR SELF AND SHOW THE SELF CONTROL THAT EVERYONE SAYS THAT THEY TEACH TO THEIR WRESTLERS AND CHILDREN WIN OR LOSE. Lord knows I try my fatherly best with my 5 year old. There are breaks in the wrestling action to question a refs call in a manner that is respectfull to everyone on the mat. Not every 5 to 10 to 15 to 20 to 25 to so on and so on seconds during the wrestling match to question every call that does not go your way. To the coaches, parents, and wrestlers: The screaming, yelling, and tantrums on the mat will always bring a disapproval rating to you from the people in the stands and to the other coaches and wrestlers on the mat. IT IS A FACT OF LIFE!!!!!

Re: Quit painting bad thoughts [Re: KU HATER] #184926 03/01/11 09:43 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Charles Knox and the Taylor's (Kenny and Pam) have each dedicated over twenty (20) years to improving the lives of our youth by providing them the opportunity to wrestle.

Thank you Kenny and Pam for also providing the wrestling community with a fine young official, Kenny Taylor, Jr. and an equally fine young coach, Gaylen Taylor.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Quit painting bad thoughts [Re: rassler] #184960 03/01/11 03:22 PM
L
lyons Offline
L
I dont think we have any idiot coaches on our team some may not know as much about wrestling, But if a person deacates there time to help kids and trys to learn then i dont think their classified as an idiot, Our coaches care always have always will, Instead of calling us idiots how about maybe try to get to know us and if you know something we dont maybe you should tell us or teach us, I personally love to learn.

Re: Quit painting bad thoughts [Re: lyons] #184962 03/01/11 03:29 PM
L
luellen Offline
L
I would like to thank TOHK for all the great matches my sons have had with them over the last 7 years. I would also thank coaches & wrestlers for always being respectful at matside (win or lose).

Lazy hands make for poverty,
but diligent hands bring wealth.
Re: Quit painting bad thoughts [Re: chadpore] #184972 03/01/11 04:09 PM
L
lyons Offline
L
Could not have said it better chad and tim like i said before in anothet form TOHK is more then a team we are a FAMILY... I know personally that all the wrestlers that have been apart of this team has learned alot about not only wrestling but about life. Everything the coaches have ever told us was and is 100% correct thank you to all my coaches and parents for helping prepare me for life. I personally had a baby in high school and got married while a junior, and though i didnt go to college, I own my home have a business have three beautiful kids and is still with my beautiful wife.I thank God for moving me here to kansas from new york and blessing me with the oppertunity of being a TOHK family member as well as everything i have. Thank you God. With that said i know i am not perfect in anyway and im one of those guys that if someone attacks me or my family i attack back and something like a hot head but over the years GOD as been helping me to work on that and iam thankfull for that. Positive thought bring positive reaction, something ive been trying to work on for awhile, I Love you TOHK family....

Re: Quit painting bad thoughts [Re: HEADUP] #185012 03/01/11 06:58 PM
W
wrestle nuts Offline
W
I have seen your team wrestle but have never talked to any of your kids or coaches, but if my son had the chance to spend some time learning for you I would let him.

Re: Quit painting bad thoughts [Re: wrestle nuts] #185021 03/01/11 08:42 PM
W
Wrestlerspappy Offline
W
i grew up wrestling against some of your boys and i will say i respect the toughness they always brought to the mat. I have also went to school with your son and he was a friend of mine for the short time i went to West High. Yes there are some incidents that i have personally witnessed that i dont respect but everyone has there moments. Lets just try to move on and look forward to the future.

Jason Ford
Re: Quit painting bad thoughts [Re: wrestle nuts] #185023 03/01/11 09:11 PM
R
Rymer Offline
R
I myself have had no prior wrestling exp. till my 7 yr old started this year. My son and my entire family as well as myself had the time of our lives this season. Jacob (my son)had a good year and when lost a certain match he showed bad sportsmanship by throwing gear and stomping off mat without shaking coaches hands. upsetting his coaches and myself rightfully so. But since that time he has acted better when loosing a match. I feel some people have giving up on him due to 1 mistake. From what i hear on this post is that no matter what these kids cannot feel that they can't move forward from a mistake. From what i hear on post the kids are what it is about. I have wittnessed some of the tohk attidude at numerous tourney's and know that not all were of their own actions but other having personal issues with them. But i don't believe they don't give up on any of thier kids. I truly hope my son wrestles next year. He truly feels for his team and teammates and loves their comradery? Thanks for inviting us to become part of your world Kansas Wrestling. Sorry if I got of subject. David Rymer

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 107 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)