Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Jeremy Molloy] #185610 03/05/11 03:08 PM
Paratroop Offline
Originally Posted By: Jeremy Molloy
I have mixed emotions on this, I think that it should have been decided in October and been the end of it not wait till the season is alomost over, now about starting their own club that is easier said than done what about mats(they are expensive) and a coach that knows what they are doing. These people have said they are new to the sport so they can't go coach these kids and teach them anything productive without knowledge. I think let them finish the season and make the rules to not let them in next year. JMO and lawsuit is not the way to go but that is the world we live in.

I probably agree with the statement the most. Hate to have it in the courts, but that's the society we live in. I don't agree with it but I deal with it.

B. Star
Lawrence, KS
Sunflower Kids Wrestling Club
"Rivals on the mat, friends in life"
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Art Kennedy,EJCW] #185635 03/05/11 09:29 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Art Kennedy,EJCW

How about when you ask your guests to go back home and they refuse to leave, what then.

grin

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: HEADUP] #185641 03/05/11 11:50 PM
nix Offline
Originally Posted By: HEADUP
all you western ks whiners pay close attention.

classy

Last edited by nix; 03/06/11 01:34 AM.

"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent"

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: culo71] #185642 03/05/11 11:58 PM
nix Offline
Originally Posted By: culo71
Richerd ur just hateing cause ur boys probly can't beat these boys!.... so here's something for ya keep ur mouth shut !!!
another classy statement, i don't think you have the right to tell anyone to keep there mouth shut!!!

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: nix] #185643 03/06/11 12:04 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
Let they wrestle, should of been told in October, get it over with and just make them sign a waiver next year when we sell them cards. Their lawsuit will only cost us money if we contest it. Lets just annex that part of Oklahoma. We, as USA wrestling, will just make it our own. We should then start with parts of the other surrounding states that are out in the middle of no where. You know, kind of an answer to Cookley's talk about re-districting. Grow D4 thru expansion.

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: John Johnson] #185651 03/06/11 01:31 AM
hotrodder54 Offline
This is one of those things that falls under management decsion. If we (KS Wrestling) didn't intend to let them wrestle in state we should have let them know verbaly and written. "We will sell you cards if you want, but we will not let you preticipate in our state tournament." And in plenty of time for them to make other arrangments and plans in OK. If we failed to do that we owe them it to them to let them wrestle. This is for the kids and cheating the kids out of a State wrestling opportunity. Because of a misunderstanding. On their or our parts is not fair to the kids. Let them wrestle.

Jon Trowbridge
Ive never had the fear of getting beat thats how most people lose.
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: hotrodder54] #185657 03/06/11 01:43 AM
Beeson Offline
Jon, I have to disagree with you on this one. Do not let them wrestle, just on principle alone. They are from Oklahoma, not Kansas, and this is THE KANSAS STATE WRESTLING TOURNAMENT. Whether they will admit it or not, they had plenty of time to enter the Oklahoma series.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Beeson] #185659 03/06/11 02:27 AM
hotrodder54 Offline
I know and see your point. Its just I never like to see the kids suffer. Our job as an orginization is to nurture kids wrestling. And though I maybe wrong and have no intention of reading the entire post here. Haven't we let this happen in the past? With the same club I mean.

Jon Trowbridge
Ive never had the fear of getting beat thats how most people lose.
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: hotrodder54] #185660 03/06/11 02:43 AM
BLT Offline
They have allowed and denied these kids, depending on the year.
They knew there was a chance to be denied.

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: BLT] #185662 03/06/11 03:09 AM
nix Offline
Originally Posted By: RichardDSalyer
This year, Districts 1, 2 and 3 voted unanimously to not allow out of state wrestlers to participate.

so district 4 did not get to vote on this issue, do you think if district 4 would have things might have been diffrent?

do you think there might have been a motive by not allowing district 4 to vote on this issue?

i do not aggree with the lawsuit.

i am not 100% sure how the board works but i would think district 4 would or should be allowed to vote on all and any matters that district 1,2 and 3 can vote on.

Last edited by nix; 03/06/11 03:20 AM.

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: BLT] #185663 03/06/11 03:21 AM
C
CWB Offline
C
Every year it has been the same way. just this year they voted no.I think they should never have voted yes in the 1st place.

Let some one come eat at your home and now they sue you for desiding not to let them come eat agin.

I say the same DO NOT let them in state.Our job is to help kids wrestle and grow in to good adults.I do not think teaching them to sue is the way to do it.This is one big problem we have in the USA.Spill you hot coffee then sue,get bit by the dog in the home you are robbing than sue,sad.

If they wanted the kids to wrestle at a state meet they should have went for a sure thing and went to there own state.Or they could put it in the handsof the bord and GAMBLE.Gess what they lost.Now they want to sue becouse they Gambled.

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: nix] #185664 03/06/11 03:30 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: nix
Originally Posted By: RichardDSalyer
This year, Districts 1, 2 and 3 voted unanimously to not allow out of state wrestlers to participate.

so district 4 did not get to vote on this issue, do you think if district 4 would have things might have been diffrent?

do you think there might have been a motive by not allowing district 4 to vote on this issue?

i am not 100% sure how the board works but i would think district 4 would or should be allowed to vote on all and any matters that district 1,2 and 3 can vote on.

sorry you didn't like my earlier post nix, i probably let my emotions get the best of me. shame on me. but this whole "if i don't get my way, i sue" mentallity is something that really gets me going.

i really do think that the real victims here are the kids. i haven't seen anything that suggests that these folks have done anything to build a program. to me that's the injustice.

as for your post here. please correct me if i'm wrong richard. D4 did vote. it's a democracy, voted down 3-1.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: HEADUP] #185665 03/06/11 03:41 AM
nix Offline
the way i understand it district 4 was not allowed to vote due to having one more member anyway that's the way i read it.

as for the lawsuit i aggree with you 100% i sure wish it could have been handled in a diffrent manor.

and again the board really did bring this on them selfs anytime you make exceptions this is bound to happen.

i cannot see why they even allowed out of state wrestlers to take part of our state tournament in the first place i mean what was they thinking, it did not make sense then nor does it make sense now.

i still say we should have let them finish this year then put a stop to it for good, they have already been allowed 2 years in a row what would it have hurt this year. then make a no exceptions rule and be done with it.

in the end i do respect any and all the boards decisions even if i do not aggree.

but i would like to know if district 4 was or was not allowed to vote on this issue.

Last edited by nix; 03/06/11 03:42 AM.

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: HEADUP] #185666 03/06/11 03:44 AM
Sudawn Bradley Offline
Just because they were issued KS cards doesn't mean they are eligible to wrestle in the KS State series. We know of several KS kids that bought MO USAW cards to wrestle in MO early in the season, MO will not allow the KS kids to wrestle in the MO State series and they do not have to purchase new cards to wrestle in the KS State series. It is all based on residency and school attendence - not on what State is listed at the top of your USAW card.

Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: Sudawn Bradley] #185668 03/06/11 04:05 AM
nix Offline
it was your board of directors that said they were eligible, 2 years in a row, so if they were not eligible how did they enter those years?

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: nix] #185674 03/06/11 10:59 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline OP
OP Offline
R
District 4 did vote on the request.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #185676 03/06/11 11:04 AM
R
OP Offline
R
There was no motive. Districts 1, 2, and 3 simply believe in doing what is best for KANSAS residents participating in the qualifying series.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #185677 03/06/11 11:05 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Finally something we can agree upon!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #185678 03/06/11 11:10 AM
R
OP Offline
R
District 4 does vote on all matters Districts 1, 2 and 3 vote on.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Hugoton - Oklahoma Wrestlers! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #185683 03/06/11 11:46 AM
Mike Furches Offline
I have been following this since its posting, my thoughts for what they are worth.

While I haven't been involved in the kids wrestling like I once was, I was at one time, and still spend time helping some kids on occasion. That said:

Some Kansas Kids go to Oklahoma, (I know not a USA State for Kids) or other states like Missouri or even Colorado to wrestle early, and I have never heard of a Kansas kid petitioning those states to wrestle for their state. I also know some kids buy their USA cards out of state for various reasons.

I firmly believe the USAWKS Board members have done what they felt was best, and while hindsight is 20/20 there are likely some that have had some issues with this for some time.

I agree with much of what has been said, the guidelines should have been clearer from the beginning, and not waited until mid season. That said it wasn't, so don't hold grudges, but make sure this doesn't happen again.

I agree with Beeson as well, while this could likely cost money, it needs to be fought to stand for principle. The principle of this could set precedent, and I personally can't understand a judge letting an Oklahoma resident wrestle for a Kansas State Championship.

I also think folks need to be careful with their comments, while they may not like the situation, we need to be careful to not blame the kids, for what I consider the selfish actions of the parents in this situation. As much as I hate to say it, the club also bears some responsibility for this by either not making things clear, or by not following through with concept that this is a Kansas State Championship. I personally see benefits of border towns allowing wrestlers to participate, but I also see need to communicate guidelines to those wrestlers and parents from the outset.

Now for full disclosure, a number of years ago I had moved to Kansas the week after the Oklahoma State Tournament. As deadlines fall, we were in Kansas prior to the state tournament qualification series. We asked about joining a club here but was told that he would not be eligible for state since he had at that time not enrolled in a school in Kansas. He enrolled the Monday after the series had started. We accepted that and moved on and had no problem with it.

I fully suspect the Board will make this right for next year, I hope they decide to proceed, even though it will cost to stand on principal this year. While one may not like those sort of costs, it is at times to be expected. The other thing I would ask, is this as I don't think it has been asked, is there any insurance for the organization which will help with the legal expenses. I know I carry professional liability that covers these types of expense. If there is, for sure fight through on this, if there isn't I still think it worth the cost.

Last edited by Mike Furches; 03/06/11 11:57 AM.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 151 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)