Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The reason we need a strong KSHSAA #189825 05/05/11 12:54 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
OrlandoSentinel.com

Oviedo has steep price to pay for FHSAA rules violations

The Lions will have to pay a $57,000 fine for wrestling and volleyball eligibility violations, but the toll weighs on athletes left behind.

By Buddy Collings, ORLANDO SENTINEL
4:44 PM EDT, May 3, 2011

Oviedo High School has a hefty $57,000 bill to pay for the indiscretions of wrestling and girls volleyball programs found guilty of violating numerous Florida High School Athletic Association player-eligibility rules.

That price tag potentially strikes a blow to all of the Lions' sports teams, all reliant on ticket sales and fundraising for survival. And there is an indeterminable price to be paid by wrestlers who will not have the opportunity to compete in postseason meets over the next three seasons.

Oviedo's wrestling program, state champions five times in the past eight seasons, is banned from district, region and state tournament participation through 2014 as part of restrictive probation announced Monday by the FHSAA.

"I feel very, very sorry for the athletes that are coming back, for those who have done it the right way and have worked hard and represented Oviedo High School well," school principal Bobby Lundquist said Tuesday. "I know it's going to be difficult for those wrestlers to find ways to be motivated. I wish that we had a better answer for them, but it's what the sanctions are and we're going to have to live with them."

One of Oviedo's underclass wrestlers, junior Charlie Mitchell, said it will be hard to live with. He had hopes of qualifying for state for the first time as a senior.

"It's terrible," Mitchell said. "We're not responsible for what happened. You can fire the coach if things are wrong, but the kids shouldn't pay the penalty. Without winning district, region and state, the colleges might not look at you."

One of Oviedo's graduating senior wrestlers, Eric Hedberg, said probation could prompt some wrestlers to seek another school.

"I would never leave Oviedo," Hedberg said. "But I can only imagine that guys who are relying on wrestling for college and trying to get their name out there might want to go to another school where they can go to state."

The FHSAA invoice, dated April 28, states Oviedo must pay legal fees and investigative costs of just under $10,0000 wiithin 15 days. The balance due in fines (about $47,000) typically would be due within 30 days of billing, but the FHSAA is permitting a payment plan, as it has done for other schools found guilty of violations. Oviedo must pay half of the penalties by June 1 and the balance by Feb. 1, 2012.

"No question, it hurts us," Lundquist said. "We're going to have to be very careful about our athletic expenditures."

The principal said he is conferring with Seminole school finance officials to find out whether funds can be used from accounts such as one that draws dollars when the school leases its fields for outside usage.

"Some of it will come from gate-receipt monies from this [school] year, and I'm sure some of that February payment will be out-of-gate receipts from our upcoming football season," Lundquist said.

J.D. Robbins, Oviedo's head wrestling coach since 2007 and previously an assistant, was suspended in February and resigned in March.

Oviedo terminated the rest of the wrestling staff in a housecleaning act that prompted the FHSAA to reduce the fine significantly.

Jen Darty, a former Oviedo volleyball standout, was appointed head girls volleyball coach in the fall after former coach Chad Long — an original target of the FHSAA inquiry — was suspended.

Scott Waisanen, coach of Oviedo's state championship girls soccer team, will become athletic director in 2011-12, with golf coach Matt Ackley assuming the role of assistant AD. Wes Allen is transitioning out of the AD position he has held since October 2009, but he will remain head football coach.

Lundquist must seek out a wrestling coach willing to take a team that can go only to regular-season meets for three years.

"We will advertise for a coach, look at all the options and move forward in a positive direction," he sa
id.

bcollings@tribune.com. Read Buddy Collings' Varsity blog at OrlandoSentinel.com/varsityblog. Sign up for the Varsity sports newsletter at OrlandoSentinel.com/joinus.

Re: The reason we need a strong KSHSAA [Re: sportsfan02] #189834 05/05/11 11:06 PM
Cokeley Offline
I am not sure I follow your logic? Is FHSAA not strong? Explain your thoughts... It really doesn't even explain what violations were committed? KSHSAA is a dictatorship. Does that equal strength in your mind? Maybe you should move to Belarus!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: The reason we need a strong KSHSAA [Re: Cokeley] #189836 05/06/11 01:39 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
Yea, I was trying to figure out how a strong Florida HS Association being able to fine a school and not allow kids to compete in the post season, even when the violations were not their fault, equals we need a strong KSHSAA??????? Actually, it sounds like the Florida Assocation was a little heavy handed and may need to have its power curtailed!!!! Just a thought.

Re: The reason we need a strong KSHSAA [Re: John Johnson] #189844 05/06/11 10:42 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S

Loc: Shawnee Kansas

I see a court challenge and more money spent by the school and the the Florida High School Association and a several more dollars in some attorneys pockets. The money will be far removed from its original intent in helping kids.

Last edited by smokeycabin; 05/06/11 10:51 AM.
Re: The reason we need a strong KSHSAA [Re: John Johnson] #189848 05/06/11 11:05 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: John Johnson
Yea, I was trying to figure out how a strong Florida HS Association being able to fine a school and not allow kids to compete in the post season, even when the violations were not their fault, equals we need a strong KSHSAA??????? Actually, it sounds like the Florida Assocation was a little heavy handed and may need to have its power curtailed!!!! Just a thought.

My thoughts were, the Florida association, from other things I've read, is one of those that has had it's powers eroded over the years. Does anyone see the potential of this type of violation occuring in Kansas currently? Not in my mind. I believe in this instance Florida probably felt they had to send a message to other schools and thus the harshness of the penalites. I never feel sorry for the students effected by these types of penalites because the rules have to be enforced.

Re: The reason we need a strong KSHSAA [Re: sportsfan02] #189852 05/06/11 02:10 PM
Crossface King Offline
"I never feel sorry for the students effected by these types of penalites because the rules have to be enforced." by Sportsfan02.

That is a harsh statement. One should not be punished for the actions of others, the only ones that should have been punished were the coaches and the athletes that falsified information on their residence so they could wrestle at the school. The other wrestlers that followed the rules should not be part of the punishment.
Your rationale would mean that I should also get a speeding ticket if I am a passenger in a speeding car.

Jonathan Whisnant
Goodland High School-USD 352
Assistant Wrestling Coach
jonathan.whisnant@usd352.org
Re: The reason we need a strong KSHSAA [Re: Crossface King] #190026 05/11/11 11:04 PM
R
Rford Offline
R
The other post on here gives some background on what occurred. Pretty typical stuff--bringing kids in from out of district to beef up the teams. The schools fired the coaches or they resigned.

I don't see the point of the punishment of the athletes/teams for the next three years. Fire the coaches, fine the school (kinda silly, tho, its all taxpayer money,) I'd even can a principal or two (its their school, they are required to know what's going on). That would send the message to the adults in charge that cheating isn't tolerated. The kids who are legitimate students are being punished...I guess they could have stepped up and refused to play with the cheaters...or ratted them out, but that's a pretty tall order.

Re: The reason we need a strong KSHSAA [Re: sportsfan02] #190036 05/12/11 11:26 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
Originally Posted By: John Johnson

My thoughts were, the Florida association, from other things I've read, is one of those that has had it's powers eroded over the years. Does anyone see the potential of this type of violation occuring in Kansas currently? Not in my mind. I believe in this instance Florida probably felt they had to send a message to other schools and thus the harshness of the penalites. I never feel sorry for the students effected by these types of penalites because the rules have to be enforced.

This happened, in Kansas, to a Wichita CL school, in spite of KSHSAA. I don't think you can stop it from happening.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: The reason we need a strong KSHSAA [Re: Cokeley] #190038 05/12/11 11:36 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
This happened, in Kansas, to a Wichita CL school, in spite of KSHSAA. I don't think you can stop it from happening.

That was decades ago! And far less flagrant (according to my Catholic friends grin), than the situation in Florida appears to be.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 100 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)