Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Face Masks #11380 01/29/02 01:55 AM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
What are the rules which apply to the use of a face mask attached to a headgear? It appears to me that they can be used to a wrestler advantage as they make the cross face less effective and they can be used to punish an opponent.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Face Masks #11381 01/29/02 04:55 AM
Jeremy Roberts Offline
A cross face is not supposed to be done to injure the nose it should be done to turn the head away from the leg and spin around. The mask are soft so they shouldnt injure the opponent on the mat.

Re: Face Masks #11382 02/04/02 02:04 PM
Coach Packard Offline
I think headgear with a facemask should be required. Then we would have less pauses in the action due to blood and more wrestling! It does take a while to get used to, but football players are used to it. And if everybody had to wear it, then no "advantage" to anyone.

Re: Face Masks #11383 02/04/02 06:38 PM
Jeremy Roberts Offline
I dont think it needs to be taken that far to were everyone needs to wear them. I think each team should have at least one extra one that way if a kid is at a tournament and gets a bloody nose that wont stop they can put it on for the next match. I have however saw a kid lose a match last year because of a bloody nose even after he had been wearing the mask the whole time. I dont see an advantage either way I know sometimes it seems like there maybe but i dont think there really is.

Re: Face Masks #11384 02/06/02 04:01 AM
bigmike Offline
i think there is a rule on face masks.
if i remember right it is if there is a medical issue such as broken nose or facial fracture they are permited. but i think if you are supposed to have a doctors order for them.
when you crossface someone it hurts there face thats why they look away, lets not kid ourself about that. it is an advantage in that reguard.

Re: Face Masks #11385 02/06/02 05:27 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Big Mike is right. The cross face is effective because of pain. The mask prevents this. The mask may be soft but it is not as soft as someone's face. I have seen a couple of wrestlers use it to "scrape" down an opponents back. The bottom line, if there is a rule regarding a doctor's note then it should be enforced. I am all for letting everyone participate but it should be a level playing field.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Face Masks #11386 02/07/02 04:08 AM
Jeremy Roberts Offline
So, what you are saying is that you teach your wrestler to try to injure the nose when he or she throws a cross face. If a cross face is thrown to hard it is illegal I see what your saying but if you or any other coach is showing a cross face to hurt someone you dont have a moral stand point of wrestling. A mask if not fit properly can be a pain I have saw it before where a mask kept causing the headgear to slip off and cause problems. I understand where your coming from but its a matter of ethics on how you teach your cross face i guess.

Re: Face Masks #11387 02/07/02 04:14 AM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Give me a break. Ethics, moral stand. Pain is a part of wrestling. A good cross face is not meant to injure but it is meant to cause discomfort. If a mask is worn then the cross face is not as effective. Pain is part of the game and it is what seperates the serious from the recreational. Sorry.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Face Masks #11388 02/07/02 05:39 AM
Jeremy Roberts Offline
right, if you turn the head away from the leg and you spin the opposite way it is causing discomfort. If you turn your head against someone your own size if they are on a shot like that any way then your going to get the two by nature, the whole body is stronger than the arms.
I know pain is part of the sport I wrestled from the time I was four and just graduated high school last year and am still active in the sport by coaching as well as other ways. If you are trying to say there should be no ethics or morals while wrestling then why would the high school rule book have a code of ethics.

Re: Face Masks #11389 02/07/02 03:36 PM
R
Redman Offline
R
You guys need to get a grip. We have a high school wrestler that broke his nose (and no they do not have to get a doctors note to wear one) and it is not an advantage wearing one. Headlocks and snakes are easier to throw on someone who wears a mask. It also takes away from their vision. It is amazing to me that you try to turn around something that is obviously a hindurance to wear into it being an advantage for them. How many times does a wrestler on top try to SCRAPE another wrestlers back, come on be real. I have officiated high school wrestling for 10 years (including the state toury) and have never seen anything like that.

Re: Face Masks #11390 02/07/02 03:39 PM
N
Noblet Offline
N
A cross face should not be thrown.That would make it an illegal or punishing move and any move that is done for punishment only is illegal. If used correctly it will turn an apposing wreastlers head away from single. A good crossface can be used to set up several moves to turn the apposing wrestler. And yes if done properly it will cause a great deal of Legal Discomfort. I have seen a number of wrestlers bloody their own nose refusing to yeild to a good crossface. God didn't make the nose cartilage stronger than the wrist.

Re: Face Masks #11391 02/07/02 09:48 PM
W
Wag Offline
W
Here's the rule:

From the National Federation of State High School Associations 2001-2002 Wrestling Rules Book

Rule 4, Section 3, Article 1

Special eqipment is defined as any equipment worn that is not required by rule. Any equipment which does not permit normal movement of the joints and which prevents one's opponent from applying normal holds shall not be permitted. Any equipment which is hard and/or abrasive must be covered and padded. Special equipment includes, but is not limited to, hair coverings, FACE MASKS, braces, and support.

As an official and life-long wrestler, I have never seen a wrestler who wears a mask use it to his advantage. If you have seen one that has, then that match was poorly officiated. A good official just would not permit something like that. I agree with coach. If anything, a mask-wearing wrestler is at a DISadvantage, due to limited visibility. A good cross-face will turn anyone's head, even if they're wearing a racing helmet.

Good luck!

Re: Face Masks #11392 02/12/02 03:19 PM
Coach Packard Offline
I agree with Redman and Brett. It is a slight disadvantage wearing the mask. But we have not had any more trips to the doctor after 3 days of intermittent nosebleeds. The other disadvantages are when kids use that middle cross-section as a handle to snap a kid's head down. We have gotten a few points awarded when this happens, but it usually takes 2 or 3 times for the ref to address it (unless we bring it up). Or the the crossface where the thumb slips inside that cross section and they get a good "grip" on what they are crossfacing. After a couple of years of wrestling the left side of our mask needs to be taped up (I assume we wrestle more right-handed kids and they reach up and grab with their right hands) while the right side looks nearly brand new. Like I said, we like it because no more nosebleeds. And we have had our share of pain (in the neck area) from hard crossfaces!

Re: Face Masks #11393 03/02/02 04:18 AM
W
wrestling 4 fun Offline
W
A late reply to this but is the face mask REQUIRED if you have stitches on say, above your eye or on your forehead? or is that up to your doctor?

Re: Face Masks #11394 03/02/02 08:13 PM
L
Lyle Geyer Offline
L
wearing a mask is definately NO Advantage. I had to wear a mask for a couple duals in college and it is next to impossibe to see, not to menton it makes your head that much bigger making more likely to get caught in bad situations. As for a crossface,it's suppose to hurt I agree, wrestlings not for wimps, but as for me I'd rather take a stiff crossface than have to wear a hot, stinking, mask.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 164 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,383
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)