Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! #192754 10/19/11 09:55 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline OP
OP Offline
R
District 2 will be offering the following bylaw amendment:

Article II - QUALIFYING FOLKSTYLE TOURNAMENTS

3. SEEDING MEETINGS - Each district will establish a deadline, 6 days prior to the sub-district tournament, after which no additional entries may be made. The deadline for entries shall be two hours prior to the start of the Sub-district seeding meeting. Once seeding starts, no changes or additions will be allowed except in the case of clerical errors by the tournament director.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #192756 10/20/11 01:20 AM
T
Tuff Offline
T
I think having the current deadline of 10 days prior to the sub-district tournament is better if we release the names and weights of the participants for the public to view for possible errors or omissions. Then by imposing the 50 dollar penalty fee for anyone that has not been entered the ability to register. This would deter clubs from coming to the seeding meeting with their entries written on a piece of notebook paper for someone to hand enter.

I know that with track wrestling entering a late entry the day of the seeding meeting is no big deal. But if you had to enter several clubs with several entries would be a big deal.

Tuff Hermreck
Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: Tuff] #192757 10/20/11 01:39 AM
H
hartley5 Offline
H
The entries would still have to be entered on track wrestling; no entries would be accepted at the seeding meeting. I strongly disagree with a 10 day deadline! With the use of track wrestling we should be able to allow the wrestlers more time to have the opportunity to sign up. The extended deadline will also allow clubs to verify their entries before the seeding meeting and add any wrestlers if needed. It is difficult to get the high school wrestlers into our wrestling room before the 10 day deadline. They want a chance to "breath" after competing for the high school. By changing the deadline to Sunday does not mean clubs have to wait to enter but allows clubs to not miss wrestlers that missed the Wednesday deadline.

The $50 penalty is ridiculous! I can see a $15-$20 penalty fee but not $50! What is the plan for the $50? Who keeps the money? Does it go to the state or district?

-Sarah Hartley

Last edited by hartley5; 10/20/11 01:40 AM.

Ryan Hartley
Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: hartley5] #192758 10/20/11 02:27 AM
T
Tuff Offline
T
The purpose of this is to allow someone to enter that was left of by mistake not for everyone to register when they want to. If you abide by the deadline rule it doesnt cost you a dime.

And my experiences with high school kids they sign up on time but they dont show up the day of the tournament.

Tuff Hermreck
Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: Tuff] #192761 10/20/11 04:41 AM
Cokeley Offline
Every year a handful of kids (not high school wrestlers) somehow do not get entered and their hearts are broken because of the hard line we have drawn in the past. The $50 is not really to penalize but to provide incentive for the club directors to verify that the entries are correct and have them done on time to allow for preseeding. I am ALL IN FAVOR of post the entries as they are entered too. This will give parents, wrestlers, coaches, etc the opportunity to ensure their kids are entered and entered correctly. Who cares if some wrestlers choose to dodge competition. Everyone is getting bent out of shape over the $50, which goes to the District btw, and will only apply to a limited few and hopefully none!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: Cokeley] #192762 10/20/11 09:46 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
With the cutoff two hours prior to the seeding meeting the penalty fees are a moot point. Is an error going to be found in that two hour window that wouldn't have been found prior? Doubtful. I have no problem with parents seeing the entries for their own club/kids but if you open up all the tournaments for all to see it will be a MAJOR headache for club directors with parents moving kids around to avoid competitors.
For the record, I'm not sure an official vote was taken but it seemed to be the consensus at the D-II meeting that if the bylaw change was passed at the state level requiring a penalty fee for late entries, that D-II would simply refund at least a portion of that fee back to the club paying it.

Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: sportsfan02] #192769 10/20/11 02:04 PM
Cokeley Offline
Who is going to enter all of the late entries if you don't set a deadline? You are worried about some bracket moves but not about the club who walks in two hours before the meeting with 25 wrestlers who have not been entered? Why does it make so much sense to everyone else but not District 2? Was it inadequately explained? Do you think you are going to have lots of entries having to incur the $50 penalty? I fail to see your logic sporto?

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: Cokeley] #192775 10/20/11 05:04 PM
P
Purple_Freak Offline
P
They way I understand it is that there will be a deadline. It is 2 hours before the start of the seeding meeting. There would be no late entries.

Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: Tuff] #192776 10/20/11 05:12 PM
P
Purple_Freak Offline
P
Why would the clubs come to the seeding meeting with their entries not entered? They have until 2 hours prior to the meeting to get their entries into trackwrestling.

If the clubs enter their kids they can verify all of this before for any ommissions.

Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: Cokeley] #192778 10/20/11 05:42 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Why does it make so much sense to everyone else but not District 2?

Because we are not a bunch of hysterical fools in District 2?

Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: sportsfan02] #192779 10/20/11 07:03 PM
Cokeley Offline
Let me play devil's advocate. Lets say EVERYONE decides to enter two hours before the seeding meeting... Then parents have no time to verify entries. There will still be wrestlers left off inadvertently and no means to correct them. There would be no time for pre seeding. No time to print out all of the listings, if you so desire to do so. How many subs have you managed Sporto? Hysterical fools?? What is that all about? We are looking for ways to include everyone and have a sensible process that is flexible yet stable. 2 hours before the meeting is not going to work.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: sportsfan02] #192780 10/20/11 07:09 PM
M
Mark J Stanley Offline
M
Cokeley identified the problem(s) that we are trying to fix.

Please answer how moving the deadline from 10 days to 2 hours fixes the problem. If a club forgets (on accident or on purpose) NOT to enter little Johnnie 2 hours before the seeding meeting, then how does making the deadline to 2 hours before the seeding meeting fix the problem? If little Mike (or big Mike if you rather) gets entered into a wrong weight or God forbid age group 2 hours before the seeding meeting, then how does moving the deadline fix the problem?

The previously proposed bylaw change fixes both of these issues. Keep the 10 day deadline, release the entries prior to the seeding meeting, and allow late entry for a fee up until 1 hour before the seeding meeting begins….this plan fixes both of the stated problems.

Last edited by Mark J Stanley; 10/20/11 07:12 PM.
Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: sportsfan02] #192787 10/20/11 09:34 PM
usawks1 Offline
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Why does it make so much sense to everyone else but not District 2?

Because we are not a bunch of hysterical fools in District 2?

I am in D1 and I am seeking help for my hysteria! But I seem to recall a quote ... better to remain quiet and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt!!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: usawks1] #192788 10/20/11 10:01 PM
H
hartley5 Offline
H
The main benefit of the date change is having more time to enter without being left out completely. I know the date change will not fix all of the problems or clerical mistakes. But NO bracketing is done before the seeding meeting so what difference does it make to allow entries up to the day of the seeding meeting?

-Sarah Hartley

Last edited by hartley5; 10/20/11 10:01 PM.

Ryan Hartley
Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: hartley5] #192792 10/21/11 01:16 AM
S
Spexy Offline
S
If you do it for subs. Then why not for EVERY tournament running Track?? They either want to wrestle it or they don't (high schoolers)....This is the whole reason for this thread is high school kids, correct?? Thought this was kids wrestling. Who are we catering to, high school or kids??

Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: Spexy] #192793 10/21/11 02:26 AM
Cokeley Offline
If you don't have a deadline then you start the meeting and you realize that someone has been left off because their club didn't enter until the last minute, what do you do????

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: Cokeley] #192817 10/23/11 06:36 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
There is no reason to not allow entries up until a few minutes of a seeding meeting. There is no additional paperwork. If a club left a kid off, they would have left him off whether there is a 10 day deadline, or a 2 hour deadline.

When I enter kids on trackwrestling, I copy and paste the entry sheet onto an email, which I then forward to all of my parents. I won't wait until two hours before the seeding meeting to enter most of the kids. I'll do them as I get them. But I want the opportunity to enter that high school kid that was sick of wrestling right after high school state, but then is ready to get back on the mat 5 or 6 days later.

If there is a team stupid enough to show up at the seeding meeting without having entered any kids, well that club should get a new director............

There is no downside to allowing entries up to 2 hours prior to the start of the seeding meeting. Actually, there is no downside to allowing them up to the start of the seeding meeting. Noone says you have to print me a sheet off, and have me sign it after reviewing. Just show me the computer screen, I'll review it, and if ok, you can print it off and I'll sign it. We can save the environment by not having to print off two pieces of paper-one that may or may not be correct, and another with corrections.

Will, you are a huge trackwrestling guy, so just admit that it doesn't hurt ANYTHING to allow entries right up until the seeding meeting. Trackwrestling allows us to do this, so let's do it.

Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: doug747] #192820 10/23/11 11:51 PM
M
Mark J Stanley Offline
M
Doug,

Club directors make errors every week of the season when entering kids in tournaments. While trackwrestling has made management of tournament operations easier, those managing the tournaments need time to make corrections or additions. It may be easy to fix one or two problems, but it can become a monumental task to fix 20 or 30 (or God forbid 100) at a time. This is exactly what your D2 amendment is setting us up for. I was involved with running tournaments before trackwrestling and I was a big advocate of implementing this software and making it mandatory for our qualifying series. I know what it can and can’t do. Trackwrestling has gone a long way in allowing us a platform to offer better quality tournaments. However, we have identified a couple big holes in our qualifying series entry process. Like any database program, it comes down to garbage in…garbage out. The original amendment that keeps a deadline for entries, opens up registration for participant/parent review, and allows late entries for a fee fixes the holes which allows participants a chance to participate even if an error was made. The D2 amendment does not fix the holes in the system that have been identified…it only kicks the problem down the road and in turn makes the errors harder to fix.

Mark

Last edited by Mark J Stanley; 10/24/11 04:27 AM.
Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: Mark J Stanley] #192821 10/24/11 12:06 AM
M
Mark J Stanley Offline
M
Spexy,

There are two amendments on the table. The original amendment was actually proposed to help with errors made in the entry process for ALL of our age groups. As it stands now, if a wrestler of any age is left off of club registration lists then that wrestler has no means to get entered into the tournament whether the error was their own fault or not. The original amendment allows for participant/parent review and gives the participant (who miss the 10 day deadline) an avenue to gain entry into the tournament for a fee up until one hour before the seeding meeting. The D2 substitute amendment does not allow for the participant/parent review period; under their substitute amendment the deadline for entry is simply shifted to two hours before the sub-district seeding meeting. I will concede that their substitute amendment would benefit the high school wrestlers the most. However I will offer that while the original amendment was not proposed for the High School wrestlers in mind exclusively, it does fix that problem as well. If a high school wrestlers wants to participate and has missed our 10 day deadline, they will still be able sign up for an added fee up until one hour before the seeding meeting if the original amendment is passed next Sunday. I hope too many folks aren't confused by this D2 substitute amendment, because there is a lot of merit for the orighinal amendment.

Mark

Last edited by Mark J Stanley; 10/24/11 04:24 AM.
Re: USAW Kansas Kids Bylaw Change! [Re: Mark J Stanley] #192829 10/24/11 07:01 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
If the club directors are not emailing, or posting, the email verification that they receive after they enter their wrestlers, so that parents can review, then they are idiots.

Remember, changes can be made prior to the seeding meeting, if there is an incorrect weight. Entries are the issue, not changes. Those are made easily with the click of a mouse, prior to the seeding meeting.

I have always disagreed with releasing entries prior to the seeding meeeting. A club should only have access to their own entries, via the confirmation email that they receive after inputting the entries. But that is another issue........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 159 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)