Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Do we need 16U subs? Mat space #11519 03/10/05 12:18 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
By looking at the numbers it appears to me that having sub districts for 16 & under is sort of a waste. Just invite them all to districts which would give them an extra week between the end of high school. Maybe 16U could just be an open invitation state tournament on a seperate weekend to alleviate some of the pressure for mat space at state? 14 & 12 deserve a full circle mat for state and really so does 8 & 10.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Do we need 16U subs? Mat space #11520 03/10/05 01:27 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Down here in District II we could certainly do it. We have as I recall around 100 16U wrestlers that will advance to districts and you know the scratches will probably take that down about 25% come tournament time. We could also eliminate subs altogether in D-2 and have only one qualifier. We might need to use two weekends depending on who the host club is, to do so, but it could be done.

Re: Do we need 16U subs? Mat space #11521 03/10/05 04:05 PM
Coachjt Offline
District II has all round robins in 16U & only one bracket in 14U, the rest are round robins.

Re: Do we need 16U subs? Mat space #11522 03/10/05 11:36 PM
M
Mom160 Offline
M
But doesn't wrestling at subs seat them for districts? Also, I know alot of these boys are wanting extra mat time. A club card is pretty expensive if all you get to wrestle is district and state. It may seem like a waste to the adults, but isn't this for the kids? That's my .02 anyways.

Re: Do we need 16U subs? Mat space #11523 03/11/05 05:23 AM
C
Corey Tarman Offline
C
I agree with you Mom160 this is for the kids. And one good thing I like about the 16 and unders is that 1. 2. 3.A state champs get to wrestle with 3. 4. 5. A state champs. Now that is some good matches. Don't get me wrong I would love to see the 6unders go to state as well. But why does it aways come down to one or the other? Why don't we all put our thoughts into how can we get both there at state? Even if it means moveing state to another city that would have the room to hold everything. If we moved state to wichta, we could have more room for 6unders and the 16unders both. I just feel that any kids no matter what the age is if they want to come out and wrestle we should find the time and the space for them to do so. And as you said Mom160 "that is my .02 anyways"

Re: Do we need 16U subs? Mat space #11524 03/11/05 11:50 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
To me if you pay the $30 for the card and you are within the age limits of kids wrestling then you deserve to wrestle at every tournament made available to you, this includes sub-districts. I find it funny that people would try to shun them away just for mat space for a lower age class, I don't care if they came from high school, or are 5 years old just getting into the sport. Whats next? Maybe we should get rid of the 14U age group too cause they were in middle school wrestling. Please keep in mind these same 15 & 16 years old are the same kids who put in their time on the smaller mats when they were in the 8, 10, 12, and 14U groups.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Do we need 16U subs? Mat space #11525 03/11/05 12:13 PM
S
Scooby Offline
S
Unbelievable thread- It is not all about you

Its all about the kids

Re: Do we need 16U subs? Mat space #11526 03/11/05 12:26 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Scooby:
Unbelievable thread- It is not all about you

Its all about the kids
Someone will need to point out the "you" this thread is all about to me.

Re: Do we need 16U subs? Mat space #11527 03/11/05 02:01 PM
24/7 Offline
I think it is a valid post. Maybe not about moving to a different weekend but definetely the part about passing 16u directly to subs. We have have almost 20 16u's going from our club and all of them said they would rather have a extra week off.

Also on the card. If they summer wrestle as most do (or should) they need the card anyway.

Just be open to new ideas. The past 2 years new pressures from Brute Nationals, etc. has killed the numbers in 16u. It's a brave new world we just need to be open to ways to change with the times.

Is this the perfect idea? Maybe not, but is a valid topic for discussion.

SlamBam

Re: Do we need 16U subs? Mat space #11528 03/11/05 02:10 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
I am in complete agreement with the suggestion of advancing the 15-16 Division directly to the District Tournament.

Another option I would favor is scheduling the 15-16 Division on Friday night of the weigh-ins.

This division would be wrestled much like the high school qualifying tournaments; the bout numbers wrestled on a first mat available basis. Depending on the numbers, the Division likely would be completed prior to weigh-ins closing.

The obvious downfall may be additional travel and perhaps an overnite stay in a hotel/motel.

If this division were to move to Friday night this would free up the mats reserved for the 15-16 division for the other divisions on Saturday.

Your thoughts please?

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Do we need 16U subs? Mat space #11529 03/11/05 02:17 PM
M
matmopper Offline
M
I don't think giving the 16 & under a "free pass" to district or state is a valid idea. There are other weights and age groups that have the same problem. Like the heaviest and lightest weight class in each age group. Are you willing to extend that offer to these kids too? This topic has been tossed like a green salad for years and no one seems to agree on anything and i don't expect anyone to agree with my thoughts either. My thoughts have been about the 16 & under kids is leave them a spot, most of them have been in your club since they started and they have earned it. I do think we could reduce the weight classes to high school weights. That is what they have all been wrestling all season and elimination of all other weights would fill up brackets and take up less time. Who knows, it might even allow the mat space and time needed for 6 & under.

Re: Do we need 16U subs? Mat space #11530 03/11/05 02:19 PM
J
jeffroberts Offline
J
Is weigh in on Thursday night this year?

Would be great to start the 16U on Thur and let the 6 and unders enter the tournament with their own age group.

Re: Do we need 16U subs? Mat space #11531 03/11/05 02:30 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by RichardDSalyer:
I am in complete agreement with the suggestion of advancing the 15-16 Division directly to the District Tournament.

Another option I would favor is scheduling the 15-16 Division on Friday night of the weigh-ins.

This division would be wrestled much like the high school qualifying tournaments; the bout numbers wrestled on a first mat available basis. Depending on the numbers, the Division likely would be completed prior to weigh-ins closing.

The obvious downfall may be additional travel and perhaps an overnite stay in a hotel/motel.

If this division were to move to Friday night this would free up the mats reserved for the 15-16 division for the other divisions on Saturday.

Your thoughts please?
The only negative I can think of to having the 16U on Friday night would be the one time only weigh-in. But I like the idea! The whole age group could be wrestled in 2-3 hours.

Re: Do we need 16U subs? Mat space #11532 03/11/05 02:50 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by matmopper:
I don't think giving the 16 & under a "free pass" to district or state is a valid idea.
In nearly all 15-16 weight classifications, these wrestlers already have a "free pass" to districts. In the past, when wrestlers determine they have only four in their bracket, several of the wrestlers show up for weigh-in and forfeit the matches on Saturday knowing they will advance to the District tournament.

Quote:
There are other weights and age groups that have the same problem. Like the heaviest and lightest weight class in each age group. Are you willing to extend that offer to these kids too?
If there are only four (4) wrestlers in the bracket, yes the offer should be extended to these wrestlers as well. All wrestlers will advance to Districts regardless of placing at the Sub-district tournament. This has been done in the past. There have been incidents when a Sub-district bracket and medal have been awarded without a match being wrestled. In a particular division, a wrestler in a two man round robin advised on a Friday night they would forfeit to the other wrestler. Bracket and medals handed out Friday night and both wrestlers advance to Districts.

Quote:
This topic has been tossed like a green salad for years and no one seems to agree on anything and i don't expect anyone to agree with my thoughts either. My thoughts have been about the 16 & under kids is leave them a spot, most of them have been in your club since they started and they have earned it.
No one here is suggesting abolition of the 15-16 division.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Do we need 16U subs? Mat space #11533 03/11/05 03:13 PM
M
matmopper Offline
M
Thanks for your response Mr. Salyer. I was just wondering why you didn't respond the the rest of my post. I still don't agree with moving the 16 & under to a different night/day for state. I know for a fact (as I have polled some of the ones in our club) how they would feel about something like that idea. The response was "Why would they do that? Do they not want us there at all? That night is for The Senior Classic. Those are just a few of the responses. Basically, they would feel "left out" of the proceedings, like the Parade of Athletes would happen after they had already wrestled & if they were part of the finals, they would have to wait 2 days for it? Or would they be left out of that proceeding too? I just think there is a happy meduim somewhere and it just hasn't been found yet.

Re: Do we need 16U subs? Mat space #11534 03/11/05 05:20 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
I still don't agree with moving the 16 & under to a different night/day for state.
The discussion is about the qualifying tournaments and has nothing to do with the state tournament!

Quote:
I know for a fact (as I have polled some of the ones in our club) how they would feel about something like that idea. The response was "Why would they do that? Do they not want us there at all? That night is for The Senior Classic. Those are just a few of the responses. Basically, they would feel "left out" of the proceedings, like the Parade of Athletes would happen after they had already wrestled & if they were part of the finals, they would have to wait 2 days for it? Or would they be left out of that proceeding too? I just think there is a happy meduim somewhere and it just hasn't been found yet.
Again, we are discussing the qualifying tournaments. I am not if favor of abolishing the 15-16 division at the State Tournament!

Richard D. Salyer

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 108 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)