Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Unattached Wrestler?? #194886 12/12/11 11:28 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Unattached Wrestler??

It is not a redshirt.

I am seeing more of this listed at some tournaments. My understanding it is just a school that brings more than 1 wrestler per weight to help fill out brackets if there is an opening. I thought the wrestler still needs to be listed with a school he practices with and in good standing at the school - but his points just do not count for the team scoring.

Re: Unattached Wrestler?? [Re: smokeycabin] #194906 12/12/11 04:55 PM
P
pete77 Offline
P
Yea I donot understand also, I think it is just bring kids to fill out the bracket ,
At least all the kids got sone mat time experence that they need.

Re: Unattached Wrestler?? [Re: pete77] #194924 12/12/11 05:40 PM
firehawk88 Offline
If you have a JV wrestler that is good but stuck behind a stud, they have a hard time getting quality JV matches. When tournaments have open spots they can fill with these. They are listed as unattached only because they don't count towards team points.

Larry Woltje
Re: Unattached Wrestler?? [Re: firehawk88] #194926 12/12/11 05:47 PM
B
Brent Lane Offline
B
Personally, I like it/prefer it when tournaments list them from the team but mark them as a non-scoring wrestling in the program-using the PES software. I know there are other tournament software out there that has other options. It's nice to see just where the kids are from rather than see UNA after the name. Just my 2 cents.

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"
Re: Unattached Wrestler?? [Re: Brent Lane] #194932 12/12/11 06:40 PM
L
lylegeyer Offline
L
unattached could mean different things, or at least it used to be. In an invitational tourny the unattached are usually the jv filling in a bracket, but don't score team points, as only the varsity wrestler, earns team points. It could also be a red shirt. A red shirt can still practice with the team, and can still wrestle in open tournament. They just have to wear their own singlet, (not a team singlet) and can not travel with or use team supplied uniforms, or food, or rooms. Basically they are on their own or unattached. (supposedly).

Re: Unattached Wrestler?? [Re: lylegeyer] #194951 12/12/11 10:51 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: lylegeyer
It could also be a red shirt. A red shirt can still practice with the team, and can still wrestle in open tournament. They just have to wear their own singlet, (not a team singlet) and can not travel with or use team supplied uniforms, or food, or rooms. Basically they are on their own or unattached. (supposedly).
This is true for collegiate athletics however there are NO red shirts in high school athletics.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Unattached Wrestler?? [Re: RichardDSalyer] #194972 12/13/11 03:07 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
It is not true that they do not score points for their team.
Lets say the varsity guy and the JV (Unattached guy) from the same team place 1st and 2nd place at the tournament in the same weight - it prevents another team from scoring those points in that weight.

Re: Unattached Wrestler?? [Re: smokeycabin] #194982 12/13/11 11:08 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: smokeycabin
Lets say the varsity guy and the JV (Unattached guy) from the same team place 1st and 2nd place at the tournament in the same weight - it prevents another team from scoring those points in that weight.

When I set up a tournament with PES software I utilize Team X (or another variation) for quality high school team affiliated non varsity wrestlers who are added to fill in a bracket. The Team X participants may or may not be allowed to score team points for TEAM X, not their respective high school.

If in the case you mention, the unattached wrestler placed higher than an opposing wrestler - what is the problem? The opposition will have to improve in order to beat the opposing teams non varsity wrestler.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Unattached Wrestler?? [Re: RichardDSalyer] #194985 12/13/11 11:40 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I do like when tournaments allow extra wrestlers in order to fill brackets. It is the best way for these young wrestlers to get more "competitive" experience locally.

Re: Unattached Wrestler?? [Re: RichardDSalyer] #195155 12/15/11 06:23 PM
B
Brent Lane Offline
B
Originally Posted By: RichardDSalyer
Originally Posted By: smokeycabin

When I set up a tournament with PES software I utilize Team X (or another variation) for quality high school team affiliated non varsity wrestlers who are added to fill in a bracket. The Team X participants may or may not be allowed to score team points for TEAM X, not their respective high school.

If in the case you mention, the unattached wrestler placed higher than an opposing wrestler - what is the problem? The opposition will have to improve in order to beat the opposing teams non varsity wrestler.

Personally, I do not like the use of TEAM X, I'd rather know where they are from (on the bracket) and mark them as a non-scorer.

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"
Re: Unattached Wrestler?? [Re: Brent Lane] #195168 12/15/11 09:57 PM
Cokeley Offline
In a pooled or scrambles event with team scoring, the emphasis should be on bringing a full team to tournament. If a team fails to fill its lineup this should be treated as OPEN not a BYE. When a wrestler draws an open it should be scored as a forfeit which would result in advancement points as well as bonus points for a pin. A team with a full line up should not be penalized by only being given the opportunity to earn advancement points and no bonus points. A team should NOT be encouraged to leave inferior wrestlers at home in order to not give up advancement points. The only "luck of the draw" situation should occur when there will be pools with unequal numbers of participants. Seeded and non seeded wrestlers should not have predetermined pools as each wrestler should have an equal opportunity to land in the pool with a greater number of wrestlers which will result in greater advancement points and greater bonus opportunity.

The very explanation is why you DO NOT allow UNATTACHED wrestlers to participate. UNATTACHED wrestlers upset the balance and disrupt the team scoring. Full teams should ALWAYS have an advantage over partial teams.

If your event does NOT keep TEAM score then knock yourself out filling the bracket. If it is a team scored event then you taint the results by allowing UNATTACHED wrestlers to compete.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Unattached Wrestler?? [Re: Cokeley] #195229 12/16/11 05:42 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
A team with a full line up should not be penalized by only being given the opportunity to earn advancement points and no bonus points. A team should NOT be encouraged to leave inferior wrestlers at home in order to not give up advancement points.

The very explanation is why you DO NOT allow UNATTACHED wrestlers to participate. UNATTACHED wrestlers upset the balance and disrupt the team scoring. Full teams should ALWAYS have an advantage over partial teams.

I dont know of any coach who would leave kids home to not give up advancement points to an opponant . They might leave them home or send them to a JV tournament to get more experience for varsity at a later date.

I am surprised by your restricting attitude!!!

If the home team has wrestlers that are not on varsity but ready for varsity competition - LET THEM WRESTLE!

If you have pools that are left open because a team does not have a
full team, you are penalizing those who don't get an opportunity to wrestle all of the 5 matches a day that they could wrestle!

I am sure your boy would much rather get another match than an open!

The older I get the better I was!
Re: Unattached Wrestler?? [Re: back in the day] #195240 12/17/11 04:40 AM
Cokeley Offline
You need to reread my post. I said a team should NOT be encouraged to leave an inferior wrestler home. I know several coaches who would leave inferior wrestlers home as to not give up points for getting pinned.

I do not have a restricting attitude. I am just explaining the balance and symetry to a team event that should NOT be tarnished by allowing UNATTACHED wrestlers to compete in a varsity, team scored, competition.

I don't think you understand team scoring completely.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 163 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)