Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why is it allowed... #195489 12/20/11 03:10 AM
T
Teamroper Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I was noticing alot of rule infractions the last couple of weeks.

Mainly the hair issue, I seen several kids that would be getting hair cuts at state but are getting through now.

Is it the remote weigh ins?

Probably, but when it is clearly outside the rules don't the refs still have the right to not allow them to wrestle?

If a ref clearly sees a ring worm breakout on someone before a match I would hope they have the right to stop it right then and there?

What is the refs rights at match time or is it out of his hands at that point?

I was just wondering.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: Teamroper] #195490 12/20/11 03:21 AM
L
lakemats Offline
L
I think this is the biggest hole in the satelite weigh-ins system. Skin checks should still be conducted at tournament sites. It would take 20 minutes. If a kid didn't show for skin check he/she can't wrestle. Silver Lake Open/Novice will require a skin check before you step on the mat. We will call for teams to enter locker rooms. We have 4 locker rooms that each team will be assigned to so the process will go faster. It's just important to clear all kids to protect all kids.

Tim Horgan
Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: Teamroper] #195496 12/20/11 10:11 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Teamroper
I was noticing alot of rule infractions the last couple of weeks.

Mainly the hair issue, I seen several kids that would be getting hair cuts at state but are getting through now.

Probably, but when it is clearly outside the rules don't the refs still have the right to not allow them to wrestle?
Yes.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: Teamroper] #195497 12/20/11 10:15 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R

If a ref clearly sees a ring worm breakout on someone before a match I would hope they have the right to stop it right then and there?
The mat official may disqualify a wrestler with a skin condition which is in violation of the rules.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: Teamroper] #195498 12/20/11 10:19 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
When I hosted satellite weigh-ins I performed a hair, finger nail and skin check. I cannot speak to how others handle(d) their weigh-in.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: Teamroper] #195499 12/20/11 10:32 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
What is the refs rights at match time or is it out of his hands at that point?
The mat official has the responsibility to ensure the safety of all participants and to enforce all NFHS rules and Kansas Kids Modifications to the NFHS rules.

At the State Body meeting each club was provided a current edition of the NFHS rule book in their club packet. The answer to your questions may be found by reviewing rule 3-4-1 (pg. 12) and 4-2-1 thru 4-2-6 (pgs. 16 and 17).

As always, I am prepared to answer any question however I do not guarantee you will like my answer.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: RichardDSalyer] #195502 12/20/11 11:18 AM
T
Teamroper Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Those are the exact answers I expected, thanks.

So back to the question, how are they getting through and then why are the refs allowing htem to wrestle?

Ok I will answer one reason, because it is too easy to ignore it and not cause a issue.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: lakemats] #195507 12/20/11 12:17 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: lakemats
Silver Lake Open/Novice will require a skin check before you step on the mat. We will call for teams to enter locker rooms.

Great idea! the tournaments i have worked this year have been the worst for "no show" scratches, and "no show" coaches. I blame it on satellite weigh ins, this should help with that as well. Provided the coaches go to the skin checks.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: Teamroper] #195508 12/20/11 12:18 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H

Ok I will answer one reason, because it is too easy to ignore it and not cause a issue.

exactly

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: HEADUP] #195513 12/20/11 12:59 PM
H
Hull DWC Offline
H
Along with this subject, has anyone else noticed that the man in the advantage position is allowed to ride the hips. This is a good tactic to win in pee wee, just seems to me that it is the wrong thing to teach for the future. We try to teach our kids to break paralell using a spiral or armbar half. Teaching the kids to get off their knee's and off the hips is a challenge.

Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: lakemats] #195514 12/20/11 01:03 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Silver Lake Open/Novice will require a skin check before you step on the mat. We will call for teams to enter locker rooms. We have 4 locker rooms that each team will be assigned to so the process will go faster.

The only problem with that procedure is, what if not all team members are present when this is happening? Our club has no assigned time for a wrestler to show up for a given tournament. If for instance a wrestler has a high first match number and this is known, the parents might not show up till later in the day. What means are being used to know a kid has passed a skin check before they step on the mat and what about the ones who aren't present when the team checks are done?

Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: sportsfan02] #195515 12/20/11 01:27 PM
S
shawnbudke Offline
S
Guys,

I understand your perspective on the hair/skin issues. I also understand your perspective on one of the problems being because of remote weigh ins....to be honest with you I am not so sure you can attribute it to that alone. Here's why...

Based on my experience, when we did on site weigh ins at open tournaments in Kansas, very seldom was there an official there doing the weigh ins and skin checks. Normally it was a group of parents from the host club that had volunteered to help out. The wrestlers were not getting checked or weighed in a stricter fashion than they do with a lot of satelite weigh ins.

On the hair issue.....the clubs and parents should be responsible and insure the kids have the right length of hair or the appropriate cover. The ref always has the final say when the step on the mat to wrestle.

As far as the skin checks....I am interested to see how this is going to work. Will you have medical people or refs doing the checks or will it be a group of volunteer parents doing the best that they can? I am definitely not trying to call out the Silver Lake folks....those kids and parents are some of the best group of folks in the state. I am just asking because we have issues even at the high school level with non-qualified people making calls on skin issues, even when the wrestler has the proper paperwork signed by a doctor (see a post on the high school forum).

Bottomline: The officials have the final say and ultimately the final check when the kids step on the mat.

Just my thoughts.
Shawn Budke

Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: Hull DWC] #195557 12/20/11 10:32 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Originally Posted By: HullDWC
Along with this subject, has anyone else noticed that the man in the advantage position is allowed to ride the hips. This is a good tactic to win in pee wee, just seems to me that it is the wrong thing to teach for the future. We try to teach our kids to break paralell using a spiral or armbar half. Teaching the kids to get off their knee's and off the hips is a challenge.

Most younger kids matches are 1-1-1, it's very hard to hit a kid with a 20 or 30 second stall call for riding if they are working towards a move, as they are younger and take longer to develop said move. If we started hitting kids for stalling every 15-20 seconds can you imagine the outrage?

I know on the high school and college level we call it a lot quicker just due to the technique development already in place.

Probably just a vague answer that doesn't answer your question...

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: Bronco Wrestler] #195560 12/21/11 12:09 AM
W
wrestle4fun Offline
W
I know for a fact that the weigh in my son went to for Derby did not conduct a skin check. I really appreciate teams that allow and host these satellite weigh ins, but rules really need to be followed.

Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: wrestle4fun] #195561 12/21/11 03:22 AM
J
jerry davis Offline
J
1. The refs and coaches need to make sure there isn't any problems with skin or hair length as a matter of fact all the parents need to also. If you see it report it.

2. Your head coach needs to make sure the kids are aware of skin problems,and the hair rule. Our coach does a very good job of reminding everyone of this at practices.

3. The state board and the district board need to do a better job of having material for everyone to see. Make flyers or send out reminders. A lot of new people don't realize how serious it is at times.

4. Parents make them set a week if they have problems. I am sure they can still get mat time and become a champ if they miss practice to heal. If they keep coming and give it more people it can slowly make it back to them and you have to start over.

5. If you volunteer to have a satellite weigh in go at it like Richard Salyer or the head ref is watching you do it. Or just don't do it. Maize, Circle and Augusta all do the checks both skin and nails. If you see it being done wrong then report it.

6. Stop whining about and do something about it next time. Tell the people running the weigh in about it,step up.

Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: jerry davis] #195571 12/21/11 02:44 PM
N
NColtrane Offline
N
When we conduct satellite weigh ins, you have to be cleared through skin, nails and hair prior to stepping on the scales, and it is done by one of our certified coaches.

We see this as a critical step in continuation of the satellite weigh ins. I'm not sure how anyone could see this as an optional thing. If a kid has to be dinged by the ref, it should reflect on the satellite weigh in site.

Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: NColtrane] #195609 12/22/11 03:09 AM
L
lakemats Offline
L
Officials will conduct the skin checks at the Silver Lake Open/Novice. Are they doctors, no but they will have the final say. Skin checks will be performed by team, 20 minutes prior to the start of competition 8:40am). If you aren't present at skin checks you will not wrestle unless passed by the tounament director and head offical before you step on the mat. We have a committee designated for skin checks and you will be scratched from the tourney without passing.
Our High School team wrestles on these mats, and our tournament is close to the High School Regional Tourney. We're not going to put them in any danger of skin born diseases. And we're also protecting the wrestlers that day from anything.

Tim Horgan
Re: Why is it allowed... [Re: lakemats] #195612 12/22/11 03:39 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Officials will conduct the skin checks at the Silver Lake Open/Novice. Are they doctors, no but they will have the final say. Skin checks will be performed by team, 20 minutes prior to the start of competition 8:40am). If you aren't present at skin checks you will not wrestle unless passed by the tounament director and head offical before you step on the mat. We have a committee designated for skin checks and you will be scratched from the tourney without passing.
Our High School team wrestles on these mats, and our tournament is close to the High School Regional Tourney. We're not going to put them in any danger of skin born diseases. And we're also protecting the wrestlers that day from anything.

Great idea...

People PLEASE remember that Kansas Kid's now follows the NFHS rules, coaches I suggest if you don't have a copy of the rule book to order one here http://nfhs.com/p-681-2011-2012-wrestling-rule-book.aspx and also see the attached case manual http://nfhs.com/p-682-2011-2012-wrestling-case-book-manual.aspx it will explain a lot of situations that you may encounter and what the ruling is and why.

These are the rules you HAVE to follow with the few kids modifications (http://usawks.com/Kids/KidsModif.pdf). It will make your lives and ours as officials much easier.

A few points to remember...
**Rules concerning the steps when a skin infection question arrises, who may sign the skin release form, rules about skin forms, etc.**
Coaches misconduct concerning JUDGEMENT calls
Hair length, Nail length
Hair coverings being legal
Tape on headgear where allowed
Stalling / riding vs. turning

This will all be very prominent come time for the Qualifiers and State.

Alex

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Coach Vieyra), 113 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,935
Posts250,366
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)