Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Will is not the only one! #195579 12/21/11 04:35 PM
B
back in the day Offline OP
OP Offline
B
http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/240...es-Coach-Buxton

Looks like even Blair has problems with officials.

The older I get the better I was!
Re: Will is not the only one! [Re: back in the day] #195584 12/21/11 05:25 PM
lazyman_1 Offline
I would not have given the takedown either.

Re: Will is not the only one! [Re: lazyman_1] #195592 12/21/11 07:22 PM
B
back in the day Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Not arguing the call---just the fact that even Blair has problems with "average" officials.

The older I get the better I was!
Re: Will is not the only one! [Re: back in the day] #195597 12/21/11 09:23 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
I watched that pretty closely and it is hard to see just what was down where. I think, in my opinion (which is worth nothing at all), what the ref was saying, and he might have been right, is that he didn't have both his toes down and then the kid stuck in a wizzer and then he got the other toe down. I think he was saying that the wizzer and the timing of all of that precluded him from making a clear control call. He might just have been right. I would have argued it too, but the more I looked at it, the more I sort of think I understand why he made the call he did. Not saying it was right or wrong, just that I see his reasoning a little bit.

I also think that any officials that they disagree with might be, in their opinion, an average official. The mat slam was horrendous though. I am amazed that he didn't have anything to say about that.

Last edited by Westfahl; 12/21/11 09:25 PM.
Re: Will is not the only one! [Re: Westfahl] #195599 12/21/11 10:27 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
I think the referee made a good call. He explained his point of view, and made sense. You can hear him talk about reaction time, and made a good explanation as to what he saw.

What I see as an issue to Will Cokeley is the obvious slam, and retalliation being let go by the official. Didn't catch where this tourney was, but there obviously in no "pussification" going on.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Will is not the only one! [Re: HEADUP] #195600 12/21/11 11:00 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Pretty hard dump off the start. I didn't see any contact from the waist down except for the back of his heels from the wrestler doing the dumping. Judgement call I suppose.

Lee Girard
Re: Will is not the only one! [Re: ReDPloyd] #195607 12/22/11 02:14 AM
R
Rford Offline
R
Average is what the great majority of us are.

Two good examples of judgment calls.

I'd have called it a slam -- pile-drived him into the mat. Others might not think so. Either way, somebody is going to complain.

I'd have said no control beyond reaction time down on the mat, out of bounds. (Plus, the fans were too close and were in the way). Others might call it a takedown. Either way, somebody would complain.

The ones that agree with the call are going to think the ref was good, The ones that disagree are going to think the ref was bad. He had about 2 seconds to make each call (you can't be standing around looking for the answer).

Last edited by Rford; 12/22/11 02:18 AM.
Re: Will is not the only one! [Re: Rford] #195611 12/22/11 03:21 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
First on the "slam" it was not even close, he jumped up, left his feet and they both fell uncontrolled back to the mat. It is no different than a guy who puts in both legs and the bottom guy stands up and just jumps backwards, no way they are landing "under control". He landed directly with one shoulder into the stomach as well, it was intentional. There is no way to land under control the way they left the ground.

On the takedown I completely agree with the call and the for the above mentioned reasons. There has to be control "beyond reaction time". Also the whizzer was there when the call was made, you must provide the wrestler the opportunity to defend himself "beyond reaction time".

I'm sure I'm just an average official so I'm probably only 1/2 right in this situation.

Alex

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Will is not the only one! [Re: Bronco Wrestler] #195663 12/23/11 03:29 AM
Ryan Jilka Offline
Alex,
Most officials are only right 50% of the time with tough calls. One coach agrees, the other doesn't. Amazing how it's always the coach that gets the points that agrees! wink

I don't agree that having a whizzer/wizard in means that there is no control. The reason officiating wrestling is so hard is because we have to use a lot of judgement. Arbitrary "control" rules messes with what's right and wrong too often. Having a hand draped over a guys shoulder while setting on his butt doesn't constitute a wizard in my opinion. I know it sure isn't how I taught it or was taught to apply it.

I think that was probably a slam, due to the wrestler leaving his feet. I also think it was a tough call, but I would have given two for a takedown on the edge most likely.

Reaction time is tough. I've seen a lot of guys hit a nice takedown and try to switch off too fast, losing control in an instant. Why should that negate the takedown? Tommy Edgmon had Ben Ashmore in the air, doublelegged, returned him to the mat, flat on his belly. Ben exploded up and out, and no points were given. Somehow, his explosiveness super-seeded the fact that he was returned to the mat, flat, if only for an instant. But hey, I'm over it. Maybe.

Merry Christmas every one

Last edited by Ryan Jilka; 12/23/11 03:36 AM. Reason: Got to thinking some more

"The days I can keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are good days" ~ Judy Hubbard
Re: Will is not the only one! [Re: Ryan Jilka] #195665 12/23/11 04:22 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Tommy couldn't take anyone down (other than me in college)... He's a total lame duck.

Have a good Xmas coach.

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Will is not the only one! [Re: Bronco Wrestler] #195669 12/23/11 12:52 PM
Shane Koranda Offline
Jimmy Ramirez gave a great piece of wisdom a few years ago, at the KWOA CLinic: "If you're able to say the words 'Reaction Time' in your mind, then it's beyond reaction time...and delay your call(s) to make sure the points are absolutely there, before you award them!"

Shane Koranda
Towanda, Ks.
Re: Will is not the only one! [Re: Ryan Jilka] #195692 12/24/11 09:50 PM
Chase Offline
Originally Posted By: Ryan Jilka
Alex,

Reaction time is tough. I've seen a lot of guys hit a nice takedown and try to switch off too fast, losing control in an instant. Why should that negate the takedown? Tommy Edgmon had Ben Ashmore in the air, doublelegged, returned him to the mat, flat on his belly. Ben exploded up and out, and no points were given. Somehow, his explosiveness super-seeded the fact that he was returned to the mat, flat, if only for an instant. But hey, I'm over it. Maybe.

Merry Christmas every one

Who is Tommy Edgmon and Ben Ashmore?? Do they have any credentials? :P

Hey Butt-Head what did people do before they invented TV?
Don't be stupid Beavis there's always been TV, there's just more channels now.
Oh yeah, heh heh hehe... progress is cool. Heh hehe heh
Re: Will is not the only one! [Re: Shane Koranda] #195693 12/24/11 09:52 PM
Chase Offline
And yes if you award points too fast that lands you in trouble REAL quick, delay your calls and make sure there is proper control. Especially reffing kids, they flip flop so much!

Hey Butt-Head what did people do before they invented TV?
Don't be stupid Beavis there's always been TV, there's just more channels now.
Oh yeah, heh heh hehe... progress is cool. Heh hehe heh

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 80 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)