Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Taunting #196234 01/09/12 10:05 PM
2coach Offline OP
OP Offline
Could someone help me out here? I thought that when a kid could pin another kid he was supposed to do so. Not take him down let him up take him down get him almost pinned then let him up. I asked a ref about this and he said it was up to the ref officiating the match. I didn't have a kid in this match or did I know anyone of them but I didn't think it was right. So is the ref supposed to let this go on or not?

Re: Taunting [Re: 2coach] #196236 01/09/12 10:25 PM
S
Spexy Offline
S
As long as said wrestler is not being let up off of his back without turning to his stomach first, there is no rule. It goes on every tournament. Even at Nationals, take em down let them up. Usually the better wrestlers work different take downs on lesser opponents (that they wouldn't normally do daily) Just part of the sport. Mat time is what kids are looking for. If you pin a kid in 15 seconds, what good did it do either wrestler?

Re: Taunting [Re: 2coach] #196237 01/09/12 10:28 PM
J
Jack Otero Offline
J
It's legal.. At times it's strategic. The wrestler is attempting to warm-up, get some practice in a live situation, or frustrate the other opponent.

To be the man, you got to beat the MAN!!
Re: Taunting [Re: 2coach] #196238 01/09/12 10:29 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
If the other kid is a fish, it isn't right at all. If the other kid is capable of defending himself, I see nothing wrong with a kid getting more work on his feet.

You can't cut a kid from his back to his feet, that is unsportsmanlike I believe, and is a penalty point.

If the other kid isn't able to put up a decent fight, I say pin him and get it over with, noone is getting anything out of it. What should happen is the good kid should use some technique that is new to him, or that he needs work on. If a kid pins everyone with a bar arm half, tell him to use something other than that to pin the kid, so he is forced to broaden his arsenal.

But the question should be asked, what is more demoralizing, getting taken down repeatedly, or getting pinned in 5 seconds.

Both kids paid their entry fee, one knowing he can get some extra work in, the other knowing it is possible he could get his a$$ handed to him. Careful to not "protect" kids from reality, but I also see your point IF you are talking about a kid that is not very good, wrestling a kid that is very good. I saw it at USJOC, and the kid doing the cutting was a stud, and the kid getting cut was repeatedly taken down with nothing more than a bullrush. No technique.

I will stand my ground with anyone if they tell me to have my kid pin their kid quickly. Nothing wrong with working some technique, if the circumstances are right.

My two cents worth.

Last edited by doug747; 01/09/12 10:32 PM.
Re: Taunting [Re: doug747] #196243 01/09/12 11:48 PM
T
Takedown Machine Offline
T
What does anyone get from a 15 sec match. Even if my kid were a fish, I would be grateful for the mat time. Even if it was just neutral. Neutral is the most important position....and for this very reason. Our team works neutral twice as much as any position. If you can win on your feet you can win matches. If you can not win on your feet than the experience on your feet can be gained by someone giving you extra time on your feet. a 5 sec match benefits no one. That is not even a warm up. My 3 cents.

Re: Taunting [Re: Takedown Machine] #196244 01/10/12 12:09 AM
2coach Offline OP
OP Offline
I know its legal to take him down and let him up, my question really is, that I saw the kid have the other on his back two or three times almost with the pin and then he would let him up. I thought this was considered taunting or bad sportsmanship and it wasn't supposed to be allowed? The coach for the kid who was getting taken down was very upset and he let the other coach know it. For my two cents I say if you can get it over with then get it over don't make anyone look bad...

Re: Taunting [Re: 2coach] #196247 01/10/12 12:53 AM
M
MarkButcher
Unregistered
MarkButcher
Unregistered
M
Little Billy needs to learn how to work off of his back too...The more chances big Jake gives little Billy the better off little Billy will be in the long run......

Re: Taunting [Re: ] #196252 01/10/12 01:38 AM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
I think Doug said it all, if he is able to "defend" himself game on.

Either way on the back or on the feet.

There are several moves my son learned while getting it "applied" to him in a match by a far better wrestler.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Taunting [Re: 2coach] #196258 01/10/12 02:23 AM
J
Jack Otero Offline
J
Originally Posted By: 2coach
I know its legal to take him down and let him up, my question really is, that I saw the kid have the other on his back two or three times almost with the pin and then he would let him up. I thought this was considered taunting or bad sportsmanship and it wasn't supposed to be allowed? The coach for the kid who was getting taken down was very upset and he let the other coach know it. For my two cents I say if you can get it over with then get it over don't make anyone look bad...

I would say to the kids at Valley Center who was letting kids up.. young man should have gone to the USJOC!!! Wrestle the best weekend and week out!! That is how you get better!

To be the man, you got to beat the MAN!!
Re: Taunting [Re: Jack Otero] #196261 01/10/12 04:09 AM
R
Rford Offline
R
There are two situations -- the first is taking your opponent down and letting him up to run up the score. That is allowed and is referenced as legal in the case book. It has always been legal. There is no near fall in this situation. Just take downs and escapes.

The second is having your opponent on his back and not pinning him when it is obvious you can but instead you let him off his back and then put him right back into near fall. This is taunting (by definition) and is not allowed. However, you won't find this in the case book and many officials do not remember that when the taunting rule was first adopted about 10 years ago this was one of the examples of taunting that was published in the NFHS Officals' Quarterly. This was a common call at that time, but over the years it has become less common. You don't see the violation happen much in high school. Some officials will get down close and caution the wrestler after the second turn and tell the wrestler not to let him off his back again. That usually takes care of the situation.

A wrestler can avoid the taunting call by making it look like the opponent works off his back. Instead of just jumping off, if there is a little play-acting most officials will let that go. If it doesn't look like taunting, it probably is not.

Last edited by Rford; 01/10/12 04:10 AM.
Re: Taunting [Re: Rford] #196263 01/10/12 06:48 AM
H
hendrykills Offline
H
Great information,I was looking for this.

Re: Taunting [Re: hendrykills] #196265 01/10/12 09:34 AM
T
Takedown Machine Offline
T
Here was a 5 sec pin. With no hands!! Now I ask you, which is taunting wrestling takedowns or a leg cradle. To me, give me takedowns. www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRpPlvaN-O0
If someone would prefer this, just request it. I am sure your opponent would oblige.

Re: Taunting [Re: Rford] #196272 01/10/12 11:58 AM
2coach Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Rford that is what I was asking, you answered what I thought. The ref let it go on but after the match he went to the corner of the coaches and talked with them.

Re: Taunting [Re: Rford] #196279 01/10/12 02:49 PM
JCook Offline
Saw this happen this past weekend at Augusta High School. So it happens at all levels. Is it right?? It is just part of the sport.

James Cook
Smoky Valley
785-212-0605
Re: Taunting [Re: JCook] #196302 01/10/12 06:52 PM
S
smithy Offline
S
Yeah it happened in Chanute. If this is the same matched being referred to that I saw, the takedown and let up took four seconds all together each time. Kid kept doing it with grin on his face. Opponent almost brought to tears. After match, the "good" kid wouldn't even shake the opponents hand. Problem is, coach is daddy and real proud of that. Kid has done this his entire career and is dirty anytime he is on the mat. Fists to the nose. Direct elbows to the back of the neck. Maybe he will grow up some day but I doubt when the coach allows it. To me this kid, is unsportsmanlike all the way.

Re: Taunting [Re: smithy] #196321 01/10/12 10:31 PM
2coach Offline OP
OP Offline
yeah thats the way I see it to, heck take them down and run moves that you need work on...

Re: Taunting [Re: 2coach] #196334 01/11/12 03:23 AM
Beeson Offline
Leg Cradle is a legitimate move, along with the spladle and many other moves that work well for some kids but not the norm. In no way is it taunting.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Taunting [Re: Beeson] #196339 01/11/12 05:22 AM
O
Outlaws174 Offline
O
I have been on both the receiving end of this subject, but then again I have done this to a handfull of kids. I don't think it's right anymore, if I could I would go back and just pin the kids. I recently had a kid who I was coaching just toying with another young man and I got on him about it. I think it's unsportsmanlike, and kids should go out to pin kids as soon as they can. However, if a kid is just balling up on the bottom and not doing anything I am all for taking him down and letting him up.

Re: Taunting [Re: Outlaws174] #196340 01/11/12 08:44 AM
T
Takedown Machine Offline
T
I understand Beeson, my "step"son was the one running the leg cradle. Takedowns are within the rules also. My point being both have some showmanship to them. Both show off superiority over the opponent. That particulat leg cradle won the OW award for that tournament. Same as being flawless on your feet could win an award. All this talk of taunting, from the time 2 kids step on the mat 1 is going to run a chance of getting shown up. Unless we stop keeping score and handout orange slices after matches. The best thing about this sport is if you feel shown up, you can control how hard you work how much time you put in how many pushups you do how many camps you go to.....and you come back the following year chomping at the bit to draw that kid again and kick his butt. Now I did not see the particular match referred to in this thread, but take a trip to Tulsa Nationals and watch how every match shows up the next.
If a kid/coach feels he/she is being shown up, it is clearly within the rules to insrtuct them to fall to their back, lie there and do not budge until the horror is over. Yet, it is easier to blame an opponent. Next time from the time the whistle is blown fall directly to your back ande lie there still as can be. No taunting discussions will arise then.

Last edited by Takedown Machine; 01/11/12 09:10 AM.
Re: Taunting [Re: Takedown Machine] #196346 01/11/12 01:56 PM
2coach Offline OP
OP Offline
Takedown I suppose you thought Maywheathers win over Ortiz was the way a champion should win a fight right? Like you said you were'nt there, dont forget this is not some huge mega tournament, it was Great Bend and it was a great tournament but they are just kids bro. It's like saying to a kid it's okay to pick on a kid who is weaker then you at school, keep doing it until the kid gets strong enough to fight back or better yet kill you or himself. Now I know thats way out there but look at the things your posting there way out there too...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 158 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,383
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)