Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Salina [Re: wrestle4fun] #197952 01/31/12 05:47 PM
W
wrestle4fun Offline
W
You should also note I never mentioned a name as there were several refs on Mat 1 as well as all mats.

Re: Salina [Re: wrestle4fun] #197956 01/31/12 06:02 PM
W
Wrestlerspappy Offline
W
My son does a lot of Greco-Roman throws and once it hits the mat his go-to move is to lock up the head and arm then squeeze the living daylights out of kids. it usaully results in a pin or it will definitely change the tempo of a match. I wasnt at salina but if you are on the same mat as us you will hear me tell him to Squeeze. it is Legal and will be used every chance we get...

Jason Ford
Re: Salina [Re: doug747] #197957 01/31/12 06:05 PM
E
Eagle2 Offline
E
Originally Posted By: doug747
I felt like Danny Deshazer worked very hard all day as well on Mat 1. And on a 6u mat, there is no way you can criticize a referee trying to figure who actually has control, cause neither one of the 6u kids that are wrestling know either. Show me a ref that always gets it right, and I'll kiss your rear end.............

Like clockwork, by early Sunday morning the day after a big tourney, someone has to post how bad the refs were. Come on, they were very good on every mat I was at. Just because one call goes against your kid during the day, the whole crew sucks. Ask yourself what kind of example you are setting for your kid by allowing him to blame a loss on a referee.........

If you don't like hearing the words "squeeze harder", you probably ought to move over to basketball, cause you're going to hear it every time a kid gets put on his back. It is a brutal sport. My kindergartner has a shiner, and several scrapes and bruises, from Salina. All part of the process of toughening them up for when it counts in high school.

I agree with all the above except there WAS at least 1 particular official on mat 3 that was absolutely aweful. Not so much with judgement calls but not paying attention to the match and not knowing rules. Heck he repeatedly awarded points the entire day to the wrong wrestler. And no I'm not complaining because my kid got beat because he placed and was in the medal match. However, during one of his matches his opponent applied a full nelson, not just touched on both sides but laced his fingers and was applying pressure. Did it for 3-4 seconds as I'm yelling "full nelson". Never did stop it. When they went out of bounds I called him to the table to ask why he wouldn't call it as he was standing in plain sight of it. The guy at the table even chewed him out and told him "you HAVE to watch that and stop it" and he didn't even have a dog in the fight. The ref still didn't award the point and told me he didn't see it. Many unhappy people on that mat all day. That particular official shouldn't be officiating. Lol, during one match I was watching (not my kids) I witnessed him ask the coaches what points he should award because he didn't know.

Re: Salina [Re: Wrestlerspappy] #197961 01/31/12 06:13 PM
W
wrestle4fun Offline
W
This was strickly the throat/neck. That is what bothered me. At one point I could tell he was about to not be able to breathe. That was my issue with it. Also, I feel like kids should have some "wrestling moves" in there and not just choke a kid. That was the point I was trying to make.

Re: Salina [Re: Wrestlerspappy] #197963 01/31/12 06:17 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
I agree with you wrestlerspappy, squeezing the daylights out of a kid is legal, and that is going to be what you hear many times on 6U, as this is what they know how to do. But as wrestle4fun, stated earlier the wrestler had his arm across the other wrestlers throat, and the coach was yelling squeeze. Putting presure on the throat of another wrestler is NOT LEGAL, and should be stopped. I have no clue which match this happened in, but being an official on 6U would be difficult. JMO

Re: Salina [Re: L.Geyer] #197966 01/31/12 06:29 PM
W
Wrestlerspappy Offline
W
Yes that you will not hear out of me. i will point out to the official and my son, that the hold is illegal if he doesnt have an arm in there. there is no point in a kid getting choked out and not sportsmanlike but if an arm is in there im all for it. part of being a wrestler, what doesnt kill ya makes us stronger...

Jason Ford
Re: Salina [Re: L.Geyer] #197969 01/31/12 06:36 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
I thought the ref's did a good job overall, sure just like us coaches there are a couple of bad one also.

The thing I like that they did which doesn't happen very often is that they had some experienced refs on the 6U kids mixed in there. Sometime those are the hardest matches to deal with.

Them little guys roll all over the place and flop back and forth you could end up with a 24-20 score after the 1st...lol

Typically rookie refs get on those mats and it hurts them because of the quick flip flop pace.

I seen this at Valley Center with the high school kids doing officiating in the Novice. 14-10 after the 1st...lol

The more experienced wretlers tend to be in more control and most calls are more clear cut which will help out the rookie refs.

Just my thoughts though.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Salina [Re: L.Geyer] #197971 01/31/12 06:40 PM
W
wrestle4fun Offline
W
I have been extremely impressed by 99% of refs in the past 3 years. They take time to explain things to kids. They are very encouraging, etc. I have great respect for them!!

I was not trying to call anyone out by any means. Just concerned is all.

I do understand that there are a lot of legal moves involving the neck, but in my sons case it was clearly not legal. Oh well, lesson learned.

Re: Salina [Re: Teamroper] #197982 01/31/12 07:26 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
I would agree with the Refs overall doing a good job. As I stated in an earlier post, I feel this is the best overall refs we have seen this year, but a few bad apples mixed in gives a sour taste for all. And I would agree with you it was nice to see some expreienced officials on the young wreslters mat. This is something that other coaches and myself have discussed on multiple occasions this year, how they need to have the "green" refs with the older kids, as it is easier to make a deffinate call.

Re: Salina [Re: L.Geyer] #197989 01/31/12 08:06 PM
B
bockman Offline
B
if you want to see bad refs take your kansas kid to oklahoma then you will thank yourself for wrestling in kansas. refs cant see everything we as coaches can because sometimes we see things in our eyes not the refs eyes. overall i had few complaints on the refs but as the day got longer they did make more mistakes. thats just part of wrestling. tell your kid to make sure and pin his kid and there will be no mistake about it.

Scott Bockover
Re: Salina [Re: RichardDSalyer] #198497 02/05/12 11:43 PM
Pelland Offline
Originally Posted By: RichardDSalyer
Originally Posted By: Pelland
Scenario....

It's the beginning of the 3rd period, and coach "A" questions the scoring that happened in the 1st period. After a brief discussion, the score was changed on the bout sheet and flipper. Coach "C" is behind the score table watching and has nothing to do with the match and says out loud, "you can't change the score. Once the whistle blows to start the 2nd period, what happened in the 1st period is done and can't be changed". The official says he can change the score if it's wrong.

I have always thought that if you're going to argue the score, you had better do it before the start of the next period, or you're s.o.l. Is this a new rule?

Section 6: Correction of Errors (pg. 32 and 33)

Article 5
Tournament scoring errors by the referee or official scorer:
a. Match Score
1. Errors by the timekeeper, official scorer, or referee must be corrected prior to the offended contestant leaving the mat area if additional wrestling is necessary. If additional wrestling is not necessary, the error may be corrected as long as the offended contestant or coach remains in the mat area.

2. Errors involving the computation of match score must be corrected prior to the next match in which either wrestler competes. If the error necessitates additional wrestling it must be corrected prior to the offended contestant leaving the mat area.

REALLY.......... that blows my mind. So lets say you have a wrestler who is up 1 with seconds left in the match, and both wrestlers are on there feet. The wrestler who is winning isn't really looking to score, but rather looking to not get scored on. He finishes the match not getting scored on and assumes he won, when the coach for the other wrestler questions the score from the 1st period finding out that the score on the bout sheet is wrong, and your wrestler loses........ now if your wrestler would have known he was down he would have been playing offense rather than defense...... to me that would be bad time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Coach Vieyra), 113 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,935
Posts250,366
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)