Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: clarkgriswold] #203139 03/10/12 02:48 AM
J
J Murdock Offline
J
She can still compete and would continue to compete just not against him...

Jason Murdock

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: Kansas Wildcat] #203140 03/10/12 02:50 AM
R
Rford Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Kansas Wildcat
I agree completely that it is their choice/right/decision to wrestle or not to wrestle. It's not up to me. But still I can disagree with that decision. Like you said, Dean, we just have fundamentally different viewpoints. I guess I have a problem with wrestlers picking and choosing their opponents. If my son ever suggested that he did not want to wrestle an opponent because the other wrestler is black - I would have a big big problem with that (and my son would suffer the consequences)! And if my son ever wanted to forfeit a match because he heard that the opponent is gay - I would have a problem with that too. Like some others have said - just wrestle whoever shows up. Wrestling by nature puts the participants in uncomfortable positions - physically, emotionally, etc. In fact, I would say it's the most uncomfortable sport I can think of. I would not do it. But for those who sign up, just wrestle.

I was wondering if anyone would see the slippery slope problem when you start making decisions based upon the particular characteristics of the person you are wrestling ... and basing discrimination on the bible or other religious doctrine isn't all that surprising...its happening everyday in all walks of life all around the world...

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: clarkgriswold] #203141 03/10/12 02:50 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Originally Posted By: clarkgriswold
its still discrimination because he is choosing not to allow her the opportunity to compete based on her gender, which is discrimination.

Like having discriminating tastes. It's a good thing! She can't win Homecoming King either!

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: Chief Renegade] #203145 03/10/12 03:04 AM
T
tkiser Offline
T
Can't pass this one up.
And he can't wrestle with the Homecoming Queen either!!!

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: tkiser] #203147 03/10/12 03:07 AM
C
clarkgriswold Offline
C
Would you have a problem with a nazi not wrestling blacks based on their beliefs? It seems like its the same situation.

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: clarkgriswold] #203149 03/10/12 03:12 AM
C
clarkgriswold Offline
C
If this familys religous beliefs are this strong then why was this even an issue? This should have been discussed with their family, their pastor etc... They shouldn't need public validation to follow their religous beliefs. This subject should have never even been posted religion is a personal and private matter, it doesn't need to be discussed on a wrestling forum

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: clarkgriswold] #203150 03/10/12 03:13 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
It's NOT the same thing. That's racism. This is a boy not wanting to fight a girl. If a guy swung at you would you swing back? If a woman swung at you, would you? Why not?

Eric Johnson

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: Chief Renegade] #203152 03/10/12 03:21 AM
C
clarkgriswold Offline
C
racism is discrimination based on skin color this is discrimination based on gender. same thing, you cant pick and choose what is discrimination and what isn't based on your religous beliefs, because your beliefs may not be the same as mine, Wrestling a girl is not fighting a girl there is a huge difference, if a guy hit me i would punch him back, if a woman hit me, depending on the circumstances i might hit her back.

That has nothing to do with this issue, this girl has paid her dues, practice, sacrifice just like the boys,she should be shown enough respect to compete against her, if he doesn't its no different than racism plain and simple

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: clarkgriswold] #203153 03/10/12 03:29 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
This kid has a solid conviction that it's the right thing to treat girls differently than guys. Just as you said that you "might" hit her back. Why the might? (Although I would consider you a coward if you did). It's because you respect the difference between men and women. Now that's plain and simple.

Eric Johnson

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: Rford] #203155 03/10/12 03:49 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Rford
Originally Posted By: Kansas Wildcat
I agree completely that it is their choice/right/decision to wrestle or not to wrestle. It's not up to me. But still I can disagree with that decision. Like you said, Dean, we just have fundamentally different viewpoints. I guess I have a problem with wrestlers picking and choosing their opponents. If my son ever suggested that he did not want to wrestle an opponent because the other wrestler is black - I would have a big big problem with that (and my son would suffer the consequences)! And if my son ever wanted to forfeit a match because he heard that the opponent is gay - I would have a problem with that too. Like some others have said - just wrestle whoever shows up. Wrestling by nature puts the participants in uncomfortable positions - physically, emotionally, etc. In fact, I would say it's the most uncomfortable sport I can think of. I would not do it. But for those who sign up, just wrestle.

I was wondering if anyone would see the slippery slope problem when you start making decisions based upon the particular characteristics of the person you are wrestling ... and basing discrimination on the bible or other religious doctrine isn't all that surprising...its happening everyday in all walks of life all around the world...

***Isn't it as simple as the young man has the right to wrestle or refuse to wrestle . . . any one he wants to wrestle??? And, the same applies to any one . . .

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: Dean Welsh] #203160 03/10/12 04:27 AM
J
J Murdock Offline
J
Just as she has the freedom to wrestle, he has the freedom to decide not to wrestle her. I wonder if half of you would even care if his decision wasn't based on religion. I love how this country wants to protect everyones rights unless it is a religious right!?!?

Jason Murdock

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: J Murdock] #203170 03/10/12 01:21 PM
T
tbau Offline
T
This subject should of never even been an issue on this board. One thing thats great about this country is that we have personal freedoms. We are able to choose to participate in activities we enjoy doing. I think its this kids right as an american citizen to decide to wrestle or not.
However I also think this should of been handled entirely different. All this post did was open up an 11 year old kid to scrutiny during the most important time of the season. It sounds like this young man has very strong convictions, He must have learned them from his parents. If this family really feels this way then why do they need public validation on this forum?
This should of been handled at home with this boys coach. All they had to do was default the match, no reason needed to be given, and public approval doesn't matter at all. This should of been handled quietly, no one would know why he defaulted, no ones feelings would of been hurt and it would of been a non issue.

Those are my two cents on the subject.

Tom Baughman

Last edited by tbau; 03/10/12 03:19 PM.
Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: tbau] #203176 03/10/12 03:29 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: tbau

This subject should of never even been an issue on this board. One thing thats great about this country is that we have personal freedoms. We are able to choose to participate in activities we enjoy doing. I think its this kids right as an american citizen to decide to wrestle or not.
However I also think this should of been handled entirely different. All this post did was open up an 11 year old kid to scrutiny during the most important time of the season. It sounds like this young man has very strong convictions, He must have learned them from his parents. If this family really believs this then why do they need public validation on this forum?
This should of been handled at home with this boys coach. All they had to do was default the match, no reason needed to be given, and public approval doesn't matter at all. This should of been handled quietly, no one would know why he defaulted, no ones feelings would of been hurt and it would of been a non issue.

Those are my two cents on the subject.

Tom Baughman

Hi Tom,

"Should, should, should, should..."

Four times in your brief 'two cents' worth. Do all those 'shoulds' tell you something? They do me... but I am not going to connect the dots for anyone unless they ask me via PM.

That being said, I think what you wrote below ROCKED! :

"All they had to do was default the match, no reason needed to be given, and public approval doesn't matter at all".

Yet, I sincerely believe the father had good motives in starting the post. I don't think he was doing it as a publicity stunt or anything... Is that what you think he was doing? If our convictions are not challenged by our own conscience at times, then I think something is wrong.

Seems like he has some dissonance in his mind that he just wanted a little help/advice in getting it all work out.

Is there anything wrong with that? Again, do you think he posted merely because of his ego? That he posted to draw attention to himself? I guess it doesn't matter. But, my two cents worth is that his motives were sincere.

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: Dean Welsh] #203177 03/10/12 03:42 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
It looks like the young man decided to wrestle, and won (1st Match).

Lee Girard
Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: ReDPloyd] #203178 03/10/12 03:52 PM
T
tbau Offline
T
Dean,
I really don't know why this post was started. I don"t know this family. I was just merely making an observation and stating my opinion. I was not trying to pass judgement on anyone. I was just saying that I thought this could of been handled differently with a lot less drama.

Tom Baughman

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: tbau] #203179 03/10/12 04:04 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Hi Tom,

Usually there are many different ways to solve problems/solicit advice. Since his question concerned wrestling, I thought this forum was an appropriate venue for him to do that.

I guess we will just have to respectfully agree to disagree.

Peace and goodwill to you.

Take care.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 186 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,369
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)