Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Southern Plains #206732 06/07/12 05:34 PM
A
Andy Albright Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Just wondering what the consensus is on the decline of athletes at the Southern Plains Tournament. Is it the location, time of year, staff, cost, or any other relevant information? Does anyone know what the best numbers team Kansas has ever had at the Plains? Maybe Coach Phillips could shed some light on the situation. Labette Community College hosted 148 campers this week. No dorms, no AC, Just wrestling.

Andy Albright

Re: Southern Plains [Re: Andy Albright] #206767 06/08/12 01:35 AM
Mike Juby Offline
Andy,

Were you referring to the camp? The numbers in the tournament have actually been going up for the past few years. Here are the freestyle numbers for all states:
2009 - 421
2010 - 481
2011 - 507
2012 - 512

The Greco numbers have grown even more on a percentage basis.

The Kansas numbers haven't been rising as much as the overall totals, but they've stayed fairly constant since 2010. Here are the recent Kansas freestyle entries:
2009 - 111
2010 - 132
2011 - 126
2012 - 131

Re: Southern Plains [Re: Mike Juby] #206812 06/08/12 05:14 PM
ROBERT M. GONZALES Offline
Andy I wanted to comment on the question you asked. I think it is GREAT that Joey had so many wrestlers in his camp last week. But I am really HAPPY we had good numbers at Dodge City for the Southern Plains camp. The 56 wrestlers was good and I know will increase. I was in attendance in Dodge City for the FS-GR meet. My issue is not the kids attending wrestling camp. But maybe we need our Head Wrestling Coaches to become more involved in Summer time wrestling FS-GR and Folkstyle. I know we had several HWC in KC last week for Chertow s camp and I am sure Tanner Gardner and other guest wrestling coaches did a great job. At Dodge City There were more Johnson County and Eastern Kansas HWC then I have ever seen in 35 years. I am sure their was several HWC at Joey s camp. BUT can we do more? Can we give more time? Can we give up family time? Do we motivate our Wrestlers enough. In My 35th summer I will be at more wrestling camps/clinics/events then I was atending back in 1977. I personally if we as COACHES go and become involved and lead by example that the wrestlers will follow. If you are going to Grand Island, Nebraska this next week call me and I will be gald to go. Coach Gonzales

RMG
Re: Southern Plains [Re: ROBERT M. GONZALES] #206826 06/09/12 03:41 AM
M
M.Church_AD Offline
M
I can see both Andy and Bob's points here in this discussion. Andy has a great point. The camp is down 30 kids (I could be wrong and I am sure someone will correct me if I am). Why is this was the question I believe Andy was asking.

I am only guessing but maybe that Western, Ks might not be the correct stage for our numbers to be high at a camp like this? If you compare the numbers of FS/GR kids from the Far West to Central to Eastern Kansas I assume the West has a smaller number of athletes than Central, KS and Central, KS has a smaller number of FS/GR athletes than East Kansas. I am not saying I know the answer here, this is just my way of asking a question.... I could be 100% wrong and if I am, I am 100% sure somebody will get on here and let me know about it!

As far as high school coaches being involved. That is a tough dynamic. As far as the Club Folkstyle season is concerned, we are just hosed there until KSHSAA changes rules of contact. As far as Freestyle... HWC miss a majority of this season as well as it KSHSAA still has us on a no contact period until a certain date.

Now I know the summers are fair game for All Coaches now but just b/c a coach is involved, does not mean kids will always attend. I was on staff the past 5 season in Fargo. During that time I have coached hundreds of athletes from my school team. However, only a select few attend any summer stuff. Those few that put in the time are being rewarded for it now with pretty good careers, but just b/c the coach is there, does not always mean the kids will follow.

Now, Southern Plains did open up the same week that Football Teams started practicing again and getting ready for their Team Camps. Again, I don't know how to attack this issue but Football coaches want their kids at their camps and events just as bad as we wrestlers want our kids as well. Usually, football wins out in this race as during football you don't have to work as hard, you get minutes off between reps, you get to eat and be fat and happy and to most it's more fun than a wrestling tournament.

So there are many questions to ask that I don't have the answers to honestly:

Was moving from Hays the right choice?

Do we have the proper staff/clinicians in place (Touchy subject and I am just being objective and not calling out anybody)?

Where is the best location in Kansas to get the most kids there? (Emporia seems like a great place as ESU has dorms and a facility that could be used to lodge and train at, not too mention pretty centrally located).

Are we advertising right to get kids there?

Are the dates the best dates to get kids there?

And probably many other questions.

Again, so nobody gets their feelings hurt I am not calling anybody out. But when the news came out that SP was down 30 kids that's an alarming number honestly. Can we put our heads together collectively and remedy this situation?

Re: Southern Plains [Re: M.Church_AD] #206847 06/10/12 01:09 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Can someone tell me what currently is the purpose and goal of Southern Plains camp? My guess would be that at one time it was the only opportunity for many of the Kansas kids to get exposure to FS/GR before the SP tournament. That is hardly the case today. Has it outlived it's usefullness?

Re: Southern Plains [Re: sportsfan02] #206849 06/10/12 03:50 PM
Cokeley Offline
I think the real question is "Why did the camp move from FHSU to Dodge City?" Simple answer is to have the kids at the same site as the tournament when Kansas is hosting Southern Plains. The Dodge City community really rallied behind having the camp and tournament there. Numbers were down and it was disappointing but the camp was great this year for those who attended.

The purpose of the camp is to expose our wrestlers to FS/GR technique and to prepare for the tournament. I don't think it has outlived its purpose but I am brainstorming with several coaches and parents to figure out a better formula. It hasn't helped that we have the athletes report on a Monday of a three day weekend for the past three years but the scheduling is sort of at the mercy of USA Wrestling's calendar.

We have been spoiled for the past six years by having the tournament in Kansas. For most it is either a distant or non existent memory when we had to travel to Carlsbad, NM to see the smallest number of participants in the tournaments history. We have the ball for three more years and the facility in Dodge City is absolutely phenomenal. We need to figure out how to push our numbers up. I am all ears for suggestions...

Some of the recent changes:

We began allowing campers to stay on Friday night to be picked up on Saturday for the tournament.

This year we allowed wrestlers to pay an additional $25 to stay Saturday night and we returned these wrestlers to their homes.

We have been offering VAN transportation to the camp. It is simple, if you are a coach and have 10 kids I have been arranging transportation.

The curriculum has been focused on learning the rules, technique, and strategy. We have moved away from making this a conditioning camp as to not fatique the wrestlers before the tournament.

I really think publicity has been an issue. I am going to get the staff assembled before the state body meeting this year. We will have flyers and blast emails going out to the membership during the entire 2012/13 season this year.

I would love to see MORE HS coaches, like Cody Parks, who bring around 10 wrestlers to the camp and have them participate in the tournament. The camp tournament combination is a great opportunity for all wrestlers. Lets put our heads together and figure out how to overcome the logistics, football coach mandates, and other obstacle.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Southern Plains [Re: Cokeley] #206955 06/16/12 01:44 PM
speters Offline
Football camp was the only reason I did not bring 5 wrestlers.
Shannon Peters

Re: Southern Plains [Re: speters] #206969 06/17/12 02:34 PM
J
J. Storm Offline
J
Will, I think you guys did an excellent job this year with the camp. After the tournament the two wrestlers I brought with me mentioned how they wish they would have went to the camp prior to competing. I think you were right on with focusing on the technique, rules, and STRATEGY. You could definitely see how it helped with several of the wrestlers who were at the camp.

Jason Storm

Jason Storm
Head Women's Coach Labette County High School

Moderated by  Coach T.Gonzales 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Coach Malay), 165 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)