Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Haysville mat slapping?? #12316 03/28/05 05:48 PM
C
crossface2 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Did anyone else have a problem with Haysville team members mat slapping to earn a point for locked hands. (I don't know what else to call it.). When both wrestlers make it to their feet and the Haysville wrestler is trying to escape he will lower his level and smack the mat with both hands begging for locked hands over and over again. I did see them credited with points several times this weekend and during the season. Some refs go for it and some do not. No way are the supporting weight with the hands but I guess some refs consider the wrestler back in the down position when the hands make the quick slap on the mat. The coaches are sidelines BEGGING for locked hands and making the same gester with both hands to the mat.

At the 6 and under Championship in Ottawa they did the same thing and end up winning the finals match with the Haysville slap twice in the same match in the 3rd round to win the match against a Great kid from Pittsburgh.

Should this be allowed to be considered a point for locked hands if the hands are not bearing the weight of the body or is it a CHICKEN XXXX way to Coach the kids?

Re: Haysville mat slapping?? #12317 03/28/05 06:05 PM
Nigel Isom Offline
Dear Crossface, NFHS rule 5-28-2 specifically outlines a situation where a wrestler repeatedly drops to one KNEE to break lock hands as Unsportsmanlike Conduct and is to be penalized as such. The rule book does not however out line touching the mat as a way to break locked hands, however if in the opinion of the referee a contestant is "slapping" the mat to gain a locked hands call, the referee is not required to award a lock hands call. This is where it becomes tricky though. In order for the referee to not award the lock hands call he has to make the determination that the wrestler who is being controlled (the bottom guy) is not using his hands to support his weight. If this is the case then it would be locked hand. However if all he is doing is briefly slapping the mat in an effort to break the hands, then it will be a judgement call as to whether the official wants to award or not. Remembering the the object of the lock hands call is to keep a wrestler in control from gaining an extra advantage. If I were the official out on that mat and this happened I would recognize the fact that the wrestler was just trying to get this call awarded to him/her, and if they were not supporting weight on their hands I would not call it.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Haysville mat slapping?? #12318 03/28/05 08:31 PM
A
averagejoe_2005 Offline
A
I think I saw the match in Ottawa mentioned above, probably 49lbs finals. The short heavy set Haysville coach was so proud of the tatic of hands on the mat he tried to go to the opposing teams supporters and brag or explain why they won. We were not close enough to hear anything but I don't think Pittsburg team was impressed or interested.

Haysville, how much time do you spend at each practice on the MOVE? :rolleyes:

Re: Haysville mat slapping?? #12319 03/28/05 08:35 PM
Chase Offline
Yea I've had a similar situation like that when I was wrestling my old friend Knox at the Goddard Tourney. Except he just dropped to a knee and pointed to my hands and was awarded a point...not exactly my style but its free points....

Hey Butt-Head what did people do before they invented TV?
Don't be stupid Beavis there's always been TV, there's just more channels now.
Oh yeah, heh heh hehe... progress is cool. Heh hehe heh
Re: Haysville mat slapping?? #12320 03/28/05 08:36 PM
Chase Offline
Theres always loop-holes...

Hey Butt-Head what did people do before they invented TV?
Don't be stupid Beavis there's always been TV, there's just more channels now.
Oh yeah, heh heh hehe... progress is cool. Heh hehe heh
Re: Haysville mat slapping?? #12321 03/28/05 09:11 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
My understanding is that it is unsportsmanlike conduct and should be called as such.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 199 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,383
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)