Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Benedictine-What happened? #209245 11/13/12 02:51 AM
J
jeffroberts Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Anyone know why the Wainright resigned?

http://ravenathletics.benedictine.edu/pr...s-new-direction

Re: Benedictine-What happened? [Re: jeffroberts] #209246 11/13/12 02:59 AM
usawks1 Offline
He took the head job at Coker College ... a D2 that is just starting a program!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Benedictine-What happened? [Re: usawks1] #209249 11/13/12 11:33 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Benedictine Coach Resigning? [Re: usawks1]
Ricky Bobby

Loc: The South (or more precisely ... I found this article on Intermat

Wainwright named first wrestling coach at Coker

College vice president of athletics and facilities Lynn Griffin announced today that Cy Wainwright has been appointed as head wrestling coach. Wainwright will be the first coach in the program's history.

Cy Wainwright"Cy understands how to build a program with quality student-athletes," said Griffin. "He brings a championship mentality to this position, which is exactly what we were looking for. As a champion himself, Cy knows how to win, and we believe he will bring that mindset to our student-athletes. His wrestling accomplishments speak for themselves, and I have no doubt he will come in and build a successful, winning program here at Coker."

Wainwright comes to Coker after serving as head coach at Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas, since May 2011. Prior to that, he served as an assistant wrestling coach at St. Cloud State University in St. Cloud, Minn., for two years. In addition, he has served as an assistant coach at Atlantic High School in Port Orange, Fla.

"I am very grateful for the opportunity to become the first head wrestling coach at Coker College," Wainwright said. "Coker is a great place for students to achieve academic and athletic excellence, and I'm pleased to be part of a signature institution in a beautiful city with such a proud history. The addition of wrestling at Coker College is a testament to the growth and popularity of the sport in the Southeast. I look forward to building a great program at Coker College."

Originally from Green Cove Spring, Fla., Wainwright attended Newberry College, where he was an accomplished wrestler at the Division II level. He won the national championship in his weight class and was runner-up for Division II wrestler of the year in 2009, was a two-time All-American and served as captain of the team for three years.

Wainwright graduated from Newberry with a bachelor's degree in secondary education in 2009. He received his master's in sports management from St. Cloud State in 2012.

The national search for a head coach came immediately after Coker announced it was adding wrestling as its 17th Division II sport. The program begins competition in the 2013-14 academic year, with the first match slated for November 2013.

Link

Re: Benedictine-What happened? [Re: usawks1] #209250 11/13/12 11:33 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Benedictine Coach Resigning? [Re: usawks1]
Ricky Bobby

Loc: The South (or more precisely ... I found this article on Intermat

Wainwright named first wrestling coach at Coker

College vice president of athletics and facilities Lynn Griffin announced today that Cy Wainwright has been appointed as head wrestling coach. Wainwright will be the first coach in the program's history.

Cy Wainwright"Cy understands how to build a program with quality student-athletes," said Griffin. "He brings a championship mentality to this position, which is exactly what we were looking for. As a champion himself, Cy knows how to win, and we believe he will bring that mindset to our student-athletes. His wrestling accomplishments speak for themselves, and I have no doubt he will come in and build a successful, winning program here at Coker."

Wainwright comes to Coker after serving as head coach at Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas, since May 2011. Prior to that, he served as an assistant wrestling coach at St. Cloud State University in St. Cloud, Minn., for two years. In addition, he has served as an assistant coach at Atlantic High School in Port Orange, Fla.

"I am very grateful for the opportunity to become the first head wrestling coach at Coker College," Wainwright said. "Coker is a great place for students to achieve academic and athletic excellence, and I'm pleased to be part of a signature institution in a beautiful city with such a proud history. The addition of wrestling at Coker College is a testament to the growth and popularity of the sport in the Southeast. I look forward to building a great program at Coker College."

Originally from Green Cove Spring, Fla., Wainwright attended Newberry College, where he was an accomplished wrestler at the Division II level. He won the national championship in his weight class and was runner-up for Division II wrestler of the year in 2009, was a two-time All-American and served as captain of the team for three years.

Wainwright graduated from Newberry with a bachelor's degree in secondary education in 2009. He received his master's in sports management from St. Cloud State in 2012.

The national search for a head coach came immediately after Coker announced it was adding wrestling as its 17th Division II sport. The program begins competition in the 2013-14 academic year, with the first match slated for November 2013.

Link

Re: Benedictine-What happened? [Re: smokeycabin] #209251 11/13/12 12:44 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
My guess is...

1. Get closer to home.
2. Move up to Division II
3. Higher Salary.
4. Much larger budget.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Benedictine-What happened? [Re: Chief Renegade] #209257 11/13/12 03:55 PM
badbo Offline
I have no issue with any one trying to better themselves, but there was a time when someone's word meant something. He owed it to the kids he gave his word to recruit them, to at least stay for one season.

JMO

Re: Benedictine-What happened? [Re: badbo] #209259 11/13/12 04:58 PM
RJW1 Offline
I agree that the timing was awful and it makes him appear more than a little shady. I also agree that people have the right to better themselves or move on for reasons that are none of my business, but the way this went down and the timing of it all makes it seem really unfair to Benedictine and the kids in that program.

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: Benedictine-What happened? [Re: RJW1] #209260 11/13/12 05:06 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
I also was upset at the poor timing of this resignation.

However, I was told this past weekend by a reliable source that the coach wanted to remain with the team through this season & the Benedictine AD denied that request, basically telling him to leave immediately.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Benedictine-What happened? [Re: LancerLou] #209261 11/13/12 05:28 PM
RJW1 Offline
I figured that may be the case, Lou Ann. Hopefully, everything will work out well for the Benedictine program and wrestlers. I wish them the best!

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: Benedictine-What happened? [Re: RJW1] #209262 11/13/12 05:44 PM
G
GT Williams Offline
G
Cy is a very bright star and impressive young coach. I am sure there are issues and details that will never be made public. It is unfortunate he left at this time, at the beginning of his first season, but not all is as it appears to be sometimes.

Tom Williams

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 123 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)