Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Disabilties and Wrestling #212082 01/21/13 05:01 PM
Jeremy Roberts Offline OP
OP Offline
1/21/13
Jeremy A Roberts
What Wrestling has done for Alex
When Alex came to me in late November of 2012 saying he wanted to wrestle I was shocked. You see Alex is not your typical 8 year old boy. Alex has been diagnosed with Autism, Bipolar Disorder and ADHD and has never been a social person either individually or wanting to be around crowds of people. His disorders have caused him so many problems in the past that he goes to a special school with a staff that knows how to help kids with disorders succeed in life. In a typical weekend with Alex you would either see him out on the farm helping his papa work or working in the yard picking up sticks, walnuts or taking things apart and putting them back together by himself.
He knew about the sport of wrestling in the past because I have been an official and coach, this was going to be my first year away from the sport since he had been born before he approached me saying he wanted to wrestle. I had never really talked to him about the sport because of my fear of what would happen if he stepped on the mat. I had however, talked to my younger two sons about the sport. Neither of the younger two are wrestling this year one has no desire to the other wants to so bad but is a year to young in my opinion to start.
Alex keeps striving despite currently having a 0-11 record and he comes off the mat with a smile each time he wrestles. One night we had to leave practice early because we had stuff going on and he was not able to stick around. He was so upset that night that he threw himself on the ground like you may see a kid do standing in the line at Wal Mart when their parents say you cannot have that candy bar.
His actions have changed as the season goes on taking the lessons he learns from the sport and applying them to life. When he started the season he did not like playing with his peers and would rather play with adults. Now when he is at practice or school he wants to play with kids his own age. He even has went so far that he is initiating contact and being playful trying to wrestle kids that he does not know and are from another club. Even to the point that I have had to stop him when he is trying to take the other kids down because they do not know what in the world is going on.
Just a few weeks ago Sarah and I started talking about possibly doing foster care. We wanted to make sure it was ok with all the boys if we decided to do foster care. The younger two boys we knew would not have a problem with it as they are social kids. Alex was the one we thought may have a worry about it. Alex was the one that was most like yes I want more people in here. I would like to have another child my age so I have someone to play with.
On the mat he has not once snapped at another child. This last weekend was a true test of how much change has taken place. With his bipolar disorder he used to not know or care if something was an accident he would get upset and become very difficult to handle. In a match this weekend a kid accidently stepped right on Alex’s face sitting in the corner I had a bit of a knot tighten up in my stomach. Instead of reacting in a way that set Alex off the edge he came over to the corner with his mother and I. We got him settled down and then when the match started he did not even try but instead let the kid pin him.
In the past, Alex would have times that his mind would race so fast that he would become clumsy and would never lay down or sit down to rest. On the other hand, now he takes the time to listen to what is being said by adults and kids alike. He will even take the time to try to explain himself and why he is doing what he is doing now instead of just expecting everyone to know. It used to be a task to try to get him to stop if there was another idea that was different than his own, he will now stop and listen to what you have to say and understands it may help him complete his project that he is working on if he takes the few seconds to listen to someone else.
I knew wrestling was a great sport and has taught me a number of things I still use in life on a daily basis. However, I never knew the sport that I love so much would help my son in so many ways like it has. He has changed so many ways in such a short time that we have tried to make these changes over the years and in a variety of ways from 4-H, to baseball to cub scouts. However, the sport of wrestling has brought the best out in him.
I need to throw out a special thank you to the Kansas Thunderstruck Wrestling Club in helping him learn and move forward in ways that others have failed.

Re: Disabilties and Wrestling [Re: Jeremy Roberts] #212088 01/21/13 05:41 PM
Nick's Dad Offline
Very good post. I have seen what wrestling has done for my son and beleive you have really shown what a great sport we have for including kids of all types. Thank for speaking out.

Re: Disabilties and Wrestling [Re: Nick's Dad] #212090 01/21/13 06:48 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Very inspirational story. May his wrestling career be long and may he continue to improve with all aspects of his life. Good luck and continue to work hard Alex.

Lee Girard
Re: Disabilties and Wrestling [Re: ReDPloyd] #212091 01/21/13 06:57 PM
M
mcpdad Offline
M
That's a great story, thanks for sharing!

Re: Disabilties and Wrestling [Re: mcpdad] #212097 01/21/13 07:42 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Great stuff!

Thank you for sharing it, someitme we get wrapped up in A, B, C brakets and weigh in and really forget that this sport along with others can be therapeutic and have a huge impact on so many people.

Good luck in the future little warrior!

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Disabilties and Wrestling [Re: Teamroper] #212126 01/22/13 04:47 AM
R
Rford Offline
R
I always admire these kids the most.

Be sure to let the officials know of the situation, if possible, so that they can make whatever adjustments might be necessary during match.

Re: Disabilties and Wrestling [Re: Rford] #212159 01/22/13 04:25 PM
Jeremy Roberts Offline OP
OP Offline
If anyone has any questions they want to ask, but not in front of everyone feel free to send me a private message and I will try to respond as soon as I can.

Re: Disabilties and Wrestling [Re: Jeremy Roberts] #212169 01/22/13 05:57 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
I have been in contact with Jeremy this year, just by chance we met through the forum. I am a mental health employee, and with Jeremy's permission I shared this with some of my co-workers. The positive responses and smiles that came from this story are amazing. Sometimes us as mental health professionals, or even as coaches, dads, etc... we get to caught up in the small things in life, and have trouble seeing the big picture of life in general. Great work Jeremy and Alex keep up the good work and you both will go far in life.

Lance Geyer

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 142 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,369
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)