Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Will Geary signs with K-State Football #213524 02/07/13 05:13 AM
Ricky Bobby Offline OP
OP Offline
Congratulations to Will Geary of Topeka High School for signing a letter of intent to play college football for the defending Big 12 Champions at Kansas State University.

Geary joins other Kansas high school wrestling standouts like starting center B.J. Finney of Andale and Defensive Ends Coach Blake Seiler of Bishop Carroll.

If only they would bring back their wrestling program. Oh well, EMAW!

[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]
Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: Ricky Bobby] #213531 02/07/13 12:13 PM
C
cps51 Offline
C
Is Will on scholarship or prefered Walk-on?

Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: cps51] #213537 02/07/13 01:05 PM
firehawk88 Offline

Larry Woltje
Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: firehawk88] #213538 02/07/13 01:18 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Congratulations Will!

I thought he would either:

1. Wrestle D1

2. Play D1 Football

3. Spray himself green and be the next Incredible Hulk!

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: Chief Renegade] #213539 02/07/13 01:28 PM
T
Tommyboy Offline
T
Congrats to Will !

Dan Gentzler

Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: cps51] #213540 02/07/13 01:33 PM
Wyatt Bechtel Offline
Originally Posted By: cps51
Is Will on scholarship or prefered Walk-on?

The article from the Topeka Capital-Journal says that Will is a "preferred walk-on."

Congrats to Will, and if he was going to play football I'm happy he signed with my alma mater. Go State!

Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: Wyatt Bechtel] #213548 02/07/13 02:52 PM
C
cps51 Offline
C
Things I had read made me think he was more of a KU guy so if he is walking on I would have guessed KU. Glad he is at KSU.

Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: cps51] #213550 02/07/13 03:32 PM
usawks1 Offline
Congrats!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: usawks1] #213556 02/07/13 04:33 PM
Scott Crider Offline
Congratulations to Will Geary!

BTW....this is the Quote of the Day!
"Spray himself green and be the next Incredible Hulk!"

Thanks for the laugh Chief!

Scott Crider
Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: Scott Crider] #213561 02/07/13 05:33 PM
H
HokaheyCoach Offline
H
Spoke to his dad yesterday and he had a visit scheduled with Cornell later this month. Would have liked to see him there instead!

Scott Walker

There are no losers in wrestling ...only winners & learners!
Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: HokaheyCoach] #213567 02/07/13 06:37 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
So K-State offers a walk on to Finney and now he is a scholarship starter and a freshman All American. Now they offer another walk on deal to another big time heavyweight from Kansas. Maybe one of these days, if we all live long enough, the Kansas Universities will show enough respect to in state heavyweight champs to offer them scholarships like they do the Texas kids who come and go and you never hear from them again. Seems like they might learn one of these days that when a heavyweight is as good moving big bodies as these kids are and have been, that they are worth the initial money. Ok I will now climb down off my soap box.

Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: Westfahl] #213604 02/08/13 03:21 AM
C
Chiefs Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Westfahl
So K-State offers a walk on to Finney and now he is a scholarship starter and a freshman All American. Now they offer another walk on deal to another big time heavyweight from Kansas. Maybe one of these days, if we all live long enough, the Kansas Universities will show enough respect to in state heavyweight champs to offer them scholarships like they do the Texas kids who come and go and you never hear from them again. Seems like they might learn one of these days that when a heavyweight is as good moving big bodies as these kids are and have been, that they are worth the initial money. Ok I will now climb down off my soap box.

Until KSHSAA pulls the restraints off of our Kansas kids and allows the extra participation/coach time, they will always be under developed BUT with lots of potentianl. The time on the field difference between Texas and Kansas is staggering.

I think it's a great decision for both KSU and Will Geary. Hope he becomes another All-American for them!

Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: Chiefs] #213619 02/08/13 12:00 PM
C
Coach Bode Offline
C
Congrats Will!

Justin Bode
Leavenworth High School Boys and Girls Assistant
Tournament Director
Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: Coach Bode] #213683 02/08/13 11:31 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
They are not undeveloped, they are undervalued. It took Finney about five minutes for K-State to coach him up. There are a lot of former Kansans in the NFL Hall of Fame. The problem here is not development, it is appreciation by the coaches of the schools in this state. The difference is not "staggering", your perception of the difference is really "staggering".

One of our kids back in the day, Mike Woolridge, went to Oklahoma State because he was not valued highly here. He beat out a Texas Defensive Player of the Year and started for four years for them. We had kids go out all over the country and start for good teams without being recruited here. Barry Sanders was not recruited here. I suppose he was "underdeveloped" too. Baloney. Geary is just as "developed" as any kid in Texas, he just doesn't play in Texas. K-State lucked out.

Last edited by Westfahl; 02/09/13 01:21 AM.
Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: Westfahl] #213689 02/09/13 03:00 AM
C
Chiefs Offline
C
They are not undeveloped, they are undervalued. It took Finney about five minutes for K-State to coach him up. There are a lot of former Kansans in the NFL Hall of Fame. The problem here is not development, it is appreciation by the coaches of the schools in this state. The difference is not "staggering", your perception of the difference is really "staggering".

One of our kids back in the day, Mike Woolridge, went to Oklahoma State because he was not valued highly here. He beat out a Texas Defensive Player of the Year and started for four years for them. We had kids go out all over the country and start for good teams without being recruited here. Barry Sanders was not recruited here. I suppose he was "underdeveloped" too. Baloney. Geary is just as "developed" as any kid in Texas, he just doesn't play in Texas. K-State lucked out.

My orginal point was that Kansas kids do not have close to the same amount of field time/coach time as Texas kids. That is a fact. And the time difference these kids spend training, practicing & coaching football is STAGGERING.

But to add to that.

Texas
371 Division I FBS signees per year.
168,680 total high school football players per year.
1 in 455 players sign DI.

Kansas
11 Division I FBS signees per year.
14,348 total high school football players per year.
1 in 1,304 players sign DI.

Where would you spend most of you time and resources as a coach?

Why do you think every major conference wants a footprint in Texas? (the SEC wanted Texas. Got A&M and that footprint is already paying off for them. Kids want to play in the SEC. What is it now, 8 straight?)

The Kansas schools are going to miss on some and also get the occasional diamond in the rough.

I think Will Geary made a great choice and probably will earn a scholarship in year two just like Finney. I wish him great success.

Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: Chiefs] #213741 02/10/13 02:13 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Believe what you want.

Last edited by Westfahl; 02/10/13 10:28 AM.
Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: Westfahl] #213769 02/10/13 04:47 PM
B
bbd Offline
B
Very well said Chiefs. Hard to argue with the facts that are right there!! And I wish Will the best of luck in his future as a Wildcat.

Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: bbd] #213810 02/11/13 02:30 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Well it isn't hard to argue with them but there isn't any point. It has become a blood sport to make fun of Kansas athletes and coaches and make Texas out as the great God of athletics. The truth is Texas is bigger than some countries and why Kansans have an inferiority complex about Texas is beyond me. I have coached here, recruited there, and I know that the difference in good players is zero. Alabama won the national championship this year and only one kid on their entire roster was from Texas and 45 players on their roster were Alabama kids. Now I guess that means Bama high school football is totally superior in their ability to develop kids in relation to Texas. That is as dumb and as short sighted as the arguments made here. Not wanting to argue because you see no point is not really the same as not being able to.

I think K-State is lucking out on Geary just like they did on Finney. If he was from Texas, exact same kid with exactly the same skills, they would have begged him to take a scholarship. Then he would have been part of those superior numbers he googled.

Last edited by Westfahl; 02/11/13 02:38 AM.
Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: Westfahl] #213813 02/11/13 03:39 AM
C
Chiefs Offline
C
Well it isn't hard to argue with them but there isn't any point. It has become a blood sport to make fun of Kansas athletes and coaches and make Texas out as the great God of athletics. The truth is Texas is bigger than some countries and why Kansans have an inferiority complex about Texas is beyond me. I have coached here, recruited there, and I know that the difference in good players is zero. Alabama won the national championship this year and only one kid on their entire roster was from Texas and 45 players on their roster were Alabama kids. Now I guess that means Bama high school football is totally superior in their ability to develop kids in relation to Texas. That is as dumb and as short sighted as the arguments made here. Not wanting to argue because you see no point is not really the same as not being able to.

I think K-State is lucking out on Geary just like they did on Finney. If he was from Texas, exact same kid with exactly the same skills, they would have begged him to take a scholarship. Then he would have been part of those superior numbers he googled.

My apologies Westfahl. I'm missing your point.

I'll google it and see if I can find it.

Re: Will Geary signs with K-State Football [Re: Chiefs] #213814 02/11/13 03:45 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Well that was why there really isn't any sense arguing it. If you don't understand the last sentence of my post, then it wouldn't make any difference what you googled.

Last edited by Westfahl; 02/11/13 03:46 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 150 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)