Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MIZZOU Arena Calm before the storm #214144 02/14/13 12:53 PM
C. Morgan Offline OP
OP Offline

Re: MIZZOU Arena Calm before the storm [Re: C. Morgan] #214147 02/14/13 01:42 PM
T
Tommyboy Offline
T
WOW , how do they do it . Hope there is enough parking and you can take a cooler in to the arena . About every state has this kind of atmosphere , except KANSAS ! Makes me sick

Dan Gentzler - Andover Central

Re: MIZZOU Arena Calm before the storm [Re: Tommyboy] #214149 02/14/13 01:52 PM
C. Morgan Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Tommyboy
WOW , how do they do it . Hope there is enough parking and you can take a cooler in to the arena . About every state has this kind of atmosphere , except KANSAS ! Makes me sick

No coolers but lots of parking. Hopefully some day KS will get their act together and make state a proper experience for the KS wrestling community.

Link to the schedule and how this is possible to have all four classes in one arena:
Missouri Wrestling Information Central

Re: MIZZOU Arena Calm before the storm [Re: C. Morgan] #214156 02/14/13 02:33 PM
T
Tommyboy Offline
T
Thanks for the post

Re: MIZZOU Arena Calm before the storm [Re: C. Morgan] #214160 02/14/13 02:54 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: C. Morgan

No coolers but lots of parking. Hopefully some day KS will get their act together and make state a proper experience for the KS wrestling community.

Link to the schedule and how this is possible to have all four classes in one arena:

Where does it state they empty the arena after a particular session?

Re: MIZZOU Arena Calm before the storm [Re: sportsfan02] #214163 02/14/13 03:13 PM
C. Morgan Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02

Haha! The website doesn't really advertise the fact they clear the arena bewteen each session but the following is at the top of the page and it sort of implies there will be fees involved for each session:

Admission: $8 per session (good for one entry to the facility)

Re: MIZZOU Arena Calm before the storm [Re: C. Morgan] #214169 02/14/13 03:43 PM
C. Morgan Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02

Haha! The website doesn't really advertise the fact they clear the arena bewteen each session but the following is at the top of the page and it sort of implies there will be fees involved for each session:

Admission: $8 per session (good for one entry to the facility)

Link to Live Streaming if State Tournament

Re: MIZZOU Arena Calm before the storm [Re: C. Morgan] #214228 02/14/13 11:26 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Brings back good memories. I wrestled in MO during the early 80's. We still did it that way back then. . . When I moved to Kansas and learned of this 3 (or sometimes even four) different state tournaments going on at different locations throughout the state... I freaked out! I'm getting 'use' to it now . . . but I still don't like it.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: MIZZOU Arena Calm before the storm [Re: Tommyboy] #214364 02/16/13 02:04 PM
S
shipmanm Offline
S
As a state champion from Nebraska, when I moved down here I just assumed Kansas ran the state tournament the same way as Nebraska - ALL UNDER ONE ROOF. Mizzou can do it, Minnisota can do it, Iowa can do it. Why can't Kansas? One of my hot-buttons. Just makes me so frustrated that Kansas holds its state tournament in three locations. Kansas has some very good wrestlers - too bad you can't watch them all under one roof at state. Way to go Dean. You got me started. Lol

Re: MIZZOU Arena Calm before the storm [Re: shipmanm] #214365 02/16/13 02:10 PM
J
J. Storm Offline
J
One of my greatest state memories was my senior year getting to see Long (4A), Spalding (6A) and Stites (5A) all win their fourth state titles at the coliseum in Wichita. I don't know if it would have been large enough to accommodate 3-2-1A but imagine how awesome that would have been.

Jason Storm
Head Women's Coach Labette County High School
Re: MIZZOU Arena Calm before the storm [Re: J. Storm] #214380 02/16/13 06:08 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Storm13
One of my greatest state memories was my senior year getting to see Long (4A), Spalding (6A) and Stites (5A) all win their fourth state titles at the coliseum in Wichita. I don't know if it would have been large enough to accommodate 3-2-1A but imagine how awesome that would have been.

Very cool Storm!

Even if 3-2-1A, stay out a Ft Hayes (which is perfectly understandable to me, I hear they run a FANTASTIC tourney for the wrestlers there), I wish we could get the other three classifications (like you mention above) under one roof.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: MIZZOU Arena Calm before the storm [Re: J. Storm] #214381 02/16/13 06:15 PM
B
BulldogAlum Offline
B
Really too bad that Kansas does not have it as well organized.The Kansas Coliseum is an excellent venue, could easily do the same thing that they're doing in Columbia.

And I really like the way that they stream the state tournament videos for those that cannot attend.

Re: MIZZOU Arena Calm before the storm [Re: J. Storm] #214523 02/17/13 11:54 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
For those of you new to this subject matter the primary reason for the split can be attributed to the 4A Classification. Prior to the split there was great organizational effort by the Ark Valley League, Chisholm Trail League and the Greater Wichita Athletic League, all leagues located in South central Kansas and primarily within forty five (45) minutes of Wichita to run the combined three (3) classifications at the Kansas Coliseum.

For various reasons, the 4A group believed they were being mistreated and wished to have ownership of a standalone tournament. As I recall, the primary leaders of the movement were the North Central Kansas League.

The 3A tournament in Hays was never considered in the consolidation primarily do to Kansas only public university wrestling program located in Hays and lack of a suitable venue to host an event this large without causing more out of school time on the part of the students.

I do remember the good old days when I walked out of the Coliseum on Friday night at 10:30 or 11:00 P.M. at the conclusion of the second round of consolations(?).

At that time, the Semifinals were wrestled on Saturday morning, a schedule I still prefer.

Richard D. Salyer

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 153 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)