Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: John Johnson] #214744 02/18/13 03:57 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
And, Willy M, Really!!! What world do you live in???? I think your reasoning shows a total disrespect for any wrestler who has limited talent, but is still a great team member. Maybe it was the kids decision to compete. I know the Mill Valley coach and he is a class act, where do you come off disrespecting him???

I love the fact you follow the sport, but come on...give it a thought before you comment.

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: John Johnson] #214745 02/18/13 04:06 AM
K
KAWKS38 Offline
K
I completely agree with your statement. If a wrestler is a freshmen at 0-14 and he's still going, he has a lot of heart and deserves to compete to maybe acquire his first high school career win!

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: John Johnson] #214747 02/18/13 04:20 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
John, we actually have met a few times though I don't think you remember me much. Your point was that Kansas weight problem was Kansas own problem and I just don't agree with that point. People spend a lot of time on here ripping everything Kansas and, respectfully, I simply disagree with this particular point. I think the weight allowances are a very good thing when you factor in the growth that is taking place in these kids. I understand the logic to it, and my use of Ohio in my post was made simply to illustrate that it is not a "Kansas" thing. Quite a few thoughtful wrestling people came up with this rule nationally, and they had the best interest of the wrestlers in mind when they did it. By the way, I am a fan of your son, he has done a great job. Good luck to him this weekend.

Last edited by Westfahl; 02/18/13 04:21 AM.
Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: Westfahl] #214749 02/18/13 04:34 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
Thanks, my intent was not to rip Kansas as a whole, sorry it it was taken this way.

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: Westfahl] #214750 02/18/13 04:35 AM
K
kansasbuckeye Offline
K
In Ohio, at a two day tournament. A wrestler may weigh-in the morning of the second day. That option does not exist in Kansas.

J. Reiss
Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: kansasbuckeye] #214751 02/18/13 04:38 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
I am talking about the weight allowances for growth and competition. We actually did have second day weigh-ins until a few years ago but people didn't like that and they changed it. No matter how you do it, someone is going to not like it. Everyone has a different opinion on every issue. Likely it will someday return to the way it was, it usually does.

Last edited by Westfahl; 02/18/13 04:42 AM.
Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: Westfahl] #214752 02/18/13 04:48 AM
C
Carroll Offline
C
We need to follow national weigh-in rules on site 1 hour before a dual and 2 hours for a tournament. For a 2 day tournament we should weigh-in Friday morning then again Saturday morning. It would also allow the officials to do skin checks right away.

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: Carroll] #214753 02/18/13 04:57 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Josh, old school is not always the best school. (don't hit me, I break). If you take the Bobcat for example and you wait until two hours before the tourney starts and try to weigh in all those kids, reshuffle the brackets for the kids that don't make weight, have a seeding meeting reflecting all of those changes, and then we would start the first day about two o'clock instead of 11:30. For tourneys of that size, it is just almost a physical impossibility to do that.

I was involved with thirty two state tourneys in my time, and I never ever understood why anyone worries about making weight for the second day. I have always thought that everyone should make weight the first day shoulder to shoulder, and then to hell with it. Let them eat, let them wrestle strong and be done with it. Why starve them all day long on the biggest baddest day of their wrestling life and have them walk out on the mat for the semi finals calorie down and in the worst possible shape to wrestle that match. I say make them make weight on Friday and make it the last time. They will never do that, but they will also never be able to come up with a valid reason why they have that second weigh in besides the obligatory "because we always have". Ok now you can hit me. By the way, good luck this weekend and I will see you at 4:00 on Sunday. Call me.

Last edited by Westfahl; 02/18/13 05:04 AM.
Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: John Johnson] #214756 02/18/13 10:22 AM
WillyM Offline
This incident happened at the Abilene regional---not at mill Valley. Different place different circumstance. Seen a lot of coaches pad the brackets with non-varsity wrestlers. Thats OK for in season tournaments---its developmental for the young wrestlers and win, lose or default, there are no other consequence. The regional tounaments, the qualifers for the State Tournament, are a different matter. Nothing really wrong with entering the 0-14 kid, except for the possibility of a later non injury default for not willing to wrestle a female. That has unnecessary consequences.

The similiar incident at Mill Valley probably denied the 18-16 SMS wrestler his trip to State--a very bad consequence. An 18-16 record in the very tough Sunflower and in Johnson County is a lot different than a 0-14 for the Hayden wrestler. The SMS wrestler was evidently much further along in his development and I assume a valid varsity class wrestler.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: Westfahl] #214757 02/18/13 10:33 AM
WillyM Offline
I like your suggestion for only one weighin--makes a whole lot of practical sense. In a two day tournament (16 bracket) do not the winners advance to the championship on the first day, weigh in the first night, ahd then eat and drink all day on the second day waiting for the championship match. Even if they have a championship semifinal match in the morning of the second day, they can then eat and drink all day before the championship match.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: WillyM] #214766 02/18/13 11:48 AM
Beeson Offline
I like the 2nd day weigh in. Keeps kids from sucking down, ballooning up and then repeating the next week. If these kids are going to wrestle in College they are going to have to continue making weight the 2nd day. They might as well get accustomed to it now. I also think it is a disadvantage to have kids do home weigh ins the morning of a meet. Shoulder to Shoulder 1 hour before the match, just like in college. We need to prepare these kids for the next level.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: Beeson] #214767 02/18/13 12:02 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
haha Beeson thats what coaches are for. I bet Wayne could tell you not to wolf down and bunch of food and you would listen to him. By the way, only talking about State here. There is no next week. I brought it up one time in a coaches meeting at state. They looked at me like I had three eyes but not one coach could come up with a reason why we were doing that second weigh in except that It was the way we had always done it. It was just dogma.

Last edited by Westfahl; 02/18/13 12:09 PM.
Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: WillyM] #214768 02/18/13 12:06 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Bill I am just talking about State. It is unique because it is the last rodeo, there just isn't any reason for kids to hold weight for that second day. NCAA's are the same thing. Why make anyone make another weigh in for Saturday. Let them weigh in on Thurs and Frid and then just wrestle. There isn't any competitve advantage for one kid over another because they ate one meal. I think all other tourneys should have the second weigh in but for the last one of the year? Never made sense to me.

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: Westfahl] #214790 02/18/13 02:37 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Because we need to be teaching our kids how to be better wrestlers, not better weight cutters.......

I realize that "for the team" someone might have to cut weight, but I totally agree with 2nd day weigh ins, and only wish they were matside......

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: Carroll] #214793 02/18/13 02:46 PM
D
D.W. Offline
D
A. What Carroll said!

2. What Doug just said!

Not interested in watching a finals match 36 hours after weigh-in, where one contestant is 25+ pounds heaveir than the other (except maybe HWT).

Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: D.W.] #214798 02/18/13 03:31 PM
R
rcreek Offline
R
In Nebraska kids are only allowed to loose a small percentage of weight a week, based on their body fat. This prevents kids from letting their weight fluctuate much, making the art of cutting weight much healthier and safer. If a kid was supposed to weigh in at 123, based on their weight loss plan, but they weighed 125 at weigh-ins, their weight loss for next week would also be adjusted.

I know there is still the possibility that kids can balloon up, but when they are not allowed to drop large amounts of weight at a time, they tend to be more reasonable and just eat healthier to loose the 2-3 lbs that they need to for that week.

I'm a huge believer of eating healthy to cut weight, and I make my guys, regardless of weight class, eat this way. We had two kids this year that made weight and come Monday they were 12 lbs heavier. As a coach, I felt it was my responsibility, since I encourage them to cut weight, to prevent them from continuing this life hindering cycle, so I held them out of all the competitions for the following week. It never happened again and even a week after season they are still eating healthy and maintaining their weight. I know I have way less experience as a coach than most of the coaches, but I am here to make my wrestlers better for the future, teaching them to diet properly is something that EVERYONE can benefit from.
Just my 2 cents on the whole topic, but having the second weigh in limits the amount of weight that a person can cut using a crash diet, which ultimately is more beneficial to the child.

Ricky Creek

Ricky Creek
Head Wrestling Coach
Sabetha Middle/High School
Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: doug747] #214892 02/18/13 09:46 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Doug starving kids the second day of the State tourney doesn't really teach them too much. If both kids have an opportunity to eat lunch in a grueling day of wrestling and get to wrestle the semi finals with some fuel in the machine, I really don't think we are failing them that much. I am not really understanding that whole "life lesson" deal, I am talking about physiology here and the health of the wrestler. I am not talking about any other tourney, I am talking about the end of the season tourney whether it be the state or the NCAA tourney. That same day weigh in when you aren't going to make that weight again in your life is ridiculous. How much heavier do you think some of them are 20 hours later when they wrestle in the finals? We do that last weigh in because it is a ritual. There is no real reason for it.

Last edited by Westfahl; 02/18/13 09:48 PM.
Re: 126 Abiline Regional...most intriguing looking bac [Re: Westfahl] #215272 02/21/13 01:45 AM
L
Little_Hughes Offline
L
Very well put Rick!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 126 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,933
Posts250,364
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)