Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Spencer Wilson Ruling??? #214686 02/18/13 01:17 AM
Ricky Bobby Offline OP
OP Offline
What's the status on Spencer Wilson of Topeka Seaman being ineligible for the State Tournament for the flagrant misconduct penalty that was charged against him at Regionals?

It sounds like a bad situation since this is Wilson's senior year and he has been having a up-and-down season after battling back from injuries suffered in a serious car accident.

[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]
Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: Ricky Bobby] #214688 02/18/13 01:19 AM
Ricky Bobby Offline OP
OP Offline
Seaman takes 5A regional wrestling crown
Penalty to standout 182-pounder detracts from celebration

By Rick Peterson
THE CAPITAL-JOURNAL

Seaman's wrestling team had a big day Saturday in the Class 5A regional meet that it hosted, with the Vikings winning the team championship, earning five gold medals and qualifying 12 of 14 wrestlers for next weekend's state meet at Wichita.

Unfortunately for the Vikings, a bizarre ending to the marquee match of the day took a lot of luster out of Seaman's championship run.

Seaman senior Spencer Wilson, who had upset defending state champion Nick Meck of Shawnee Heights in last week's Centennial League meet, met up with Meck again Saturday in the 182-pound final.

This time it was Meck who took control, opening up a 12-3 lead late in the match. Then, with just 15 seconds remaining, Wilson made a lunging move at Meck.

The match was immediately stopped and after both officials discussed the incident and talked with both coaches, Wilson was charged with a match-ending flagrant misconduct pentalty.

All of Wilson's points earned Saturday were deducted from the Vikings' team score. More importantly, if the ruling stands, Wilson won’t be eligible to compete in the state tournament.

The Kansas State High School Activities Association was being contacted to plead Seaman's case for Wilson, but as of Saturday, the flagrant misconduct ruling stood.

"I didn't think it was a big deal, because this is his senior year,'' said Meck, who was uninjured and had a friendly chat with Wilson in the awards area after the match. "I was saying, ‘Just let it go.'

"He's one of my best friends, and I just wanted to let it go.”

Seaman coach Patrick Kelly was visibly upset by the penalty given to Wilson.

"It's tough, I'm still kind of sorting things out,'' Kelly said. "The penalty is just too severe. Nick and Spencer are great friends off the mat and have been for many years.

"I don't know what transpired for that to happen, but I just don't think the word flagrant was part of what occurred. It's compounded with the story behind Spencer (who battled back from a serious car accident) and the fact that he's a senior. It just makes it that much more tough to deal with. I've never had something like this happen before.''

While upset with the Wilson situation, Kelly was happy with the day as a whole for his Vikings, who got wins from senior Brandon Fuller (132 pounds), sophomore Daemeion Gay (138), junior Sam Mizell (145), freshman Mason Ray (152) and senior returning state champ Bryant Guillen (170).

"Overall I really was (pleased),” said Kelly, who was named the regional coach of the year. "There were some dips during the day, but it was great to see Daemeion Gay go out there and do what he did. He just keeps improving and improving and looking more and more like a wrestler, not just a terrific athlete out there.

"Sam Mizell came out and beat (Justin) Dyer (Heights), who he had gotten beat by in the dual handily, and that was just terrific. And then Mason Ray steps into the lineup and wins the regional. He looked really good and he got beat by that kid last week.”

Shawnee Heights finished second as a team, sweeping the 182-, 195- and 220-pound titles.

After Nick Meck's win, senior Ben Taliaferro won for the T-Birds at 195 pounds and junior Tyson Toelkes won at 220 pounds.

"It was a good day,'' Shawnee Heights coach Chad Parks said. "We're taking 12 out of 14. We always want all 14, but 12 out of 14 is pretty good.

"We had six finalists and I'm real happy because there's a couple of kids who were kind of on the bubble and they stepped up and decided to wrestle today. They're younger guys, so that growth is going to be big for next year.”

Topeka West got a regional championship out of sophomore 106-pounder Zach Campbell, who followed up last week's Centennial League title with another strong performance.

Nationally ranked 285-pounder Nathan Butler of Leavenworth was named the regional meet's outstanding wrestler.

The 5A state tournament will get under way at 10 a.m. Friday with the first round of competition at Hartman Arena.

[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]
Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: Ricky Bobby] #214699 02/18/13 01:53 AM
Bender Offline
Video?

Bite my shiny metal @$$
Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: Bender] #214702 02/18/13 01:58 AM
H
Hilbillywrassler Offline
H
Other match I read about a slam was called and kid out for season. The wrestler was allowed to finish tournament and go to state. Why is Wilson kicked out for last tournament of career? Was it worst than slam? Maybe I'm missing something. He must have grabbed other kid by ears and gave him an old fashioned head butt?

Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: Hilbillywrassler] #214714 02/18/13 02:20 AM
B
bigdaddy650r Offline
B
It was a headbutt
Video is on WIBW sports website

Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: Hilbillywrassler] #214716 02/18/13 02:25 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Hilbillywrassler
Other match I read about a slam was called and kid out for season. The wrestler was allowed to finish tournament and go to state. Why is Wilson kicked out for last tournament of career? Was it worst than slam? Maybe I'm missing something. He must have grabbed other kid by ears and gave him an old fashioned head butt?

Although the severity of the action is in question, the officials on the mat came to a conclusion that will forever be their judgement call. Wilson did not get kicked out of the state tournament. By rule, when you commit FM you do NOT place so he did not qualify for state.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: Cokeley] #214776 02/18/13 01:54 PM
S
sportzfool15 Offline
S
the headbutt wasn't even that bad!!! looked like a bad call to me.

Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: Cokeley] #214780 02/18/13 02:12 PM
B
BulldogAlum Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Originally Posted By: Hilbillywrassler

Although the severity of the action is in question, the officials on the mat came to a conclusion that will forever be their judgement call. Wilson did not get kicked out of the state tournament. By rule, when you commit FM you do NOT place so he did not qualify for state.

Watching the video linked below, there seems to be no question that the Wilson kid headbutted the opponent, intentionally or not.
What a shame, the kid had to know that he was down 12-3 and time running out, and further questionable that he could even possibly have enough time to pin the other wrestler.
Should have just accepted that he would get 2nd and go to State, get another chance there.

http://www.wibw.com/sports/headlines/5A-Regional-Wrestling-From-Seaman-191550751.html[u][/u]

Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: sportzfool15] #214804 02/18/13 04:09 PM
W
Wag Offline
W
Originally Posted By: sportzfool15
the headbutt wasn't even that bad!!! looked like a bad call to me.

Don't just say it looked like a bad call and leave it at that. Get your rules book out and tell us all what the correct call is there.

Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: Wag] #214806 02/18/13 04:16 PM
M
Mark J Stanley Offline
M
Here is what I saw...

Meck had the match in hand (but when you can work head/arm like Spencer you are never out of it)

With time running out, Wilson "lunged" at Meck...the video is now posted so everyone on here can make their own judgment. The only one who knows for sure what the "intent" of the lunge was is Wilson...but my interpretation was that it was not intended to harm Meck in a "Flagrant" manner. I thought he was lunging to get a reaction from Meck that he could exploit...kind of like Meck's "spinning back fist" that doesn't hit the mark does. Because his opponents react to his motion and it sets up a double leg. Meck had two of these "spinning back fist" attempts that failed in the match up at Centennial League versus Wilson. Both of these wrestlers are dynamic and fun to watch… both of them are tough competitors in the arena. On the flip side and more importantly both of them are fine young men. It is no surprise to me that they call each other “best” friends.

After the incident occurred Wilson handled the situation "in control" (he in no way looked like someone who was “out of control” that warranted a career ending FM call to end his senior season). Seaman's coaches did not stomp their feet and act out of control... they knew that a FM call could not be argued mat side. If it were to be reversed or overturned it would have to be the decision of the referee or through an appeal to KSHSAA. The Official did initially reverse/overturn the call and changed the call to unsportsmanlike conduct (which would not of carried the same penalty as Flagrant Misconduct)...he did so on his own after consulting with the second official on the mat. Which is what Meck was asking for (if read his comments in the CJ Online article you will see for yourself…”LET IT GO”). The Shawnee Heights coaches in the corner felt differently and pleaded the case to the official to stick with his original call. After some deliberation, that is what the official did…he reversed his reversal and Spencer was called for Flagrant Misconduct.

After the “final” ruling Wilson handled himself with class...while disappointed he didn't in anyway act out of control. He discussed the ruling calmly with the official and hung his head. Meck and Wilson were both witnessed together 15 minutes after the call occurred and there appeared to be no hard feelings on either side (as reported in the article by CJ Online above).

Wilson is a good kid that has had a few tough draws in his life…this may just be the latest in that string. I am sure he will handle this situation as he has any other hurdle he has faced. What I have witnessed over the years is a young man that is willing to work with our young kids in club rooms, I have seen him officiating at tourneys on Sunday's, and he put a lot of work in to come back from a severe auto accident last Spring let alone get back to where he is at as a competitor on the mat. I have never witnessed Spencer Wilson out of control in any way…and I still say this after what I witnessed on Saturday.

I am positive that Spencer wishes he could have the “3 seconds” back on Saturday to "do over". The point of this post is to retell what occurred on Saturday with “context” and to tell the wrestling community that I am still a Spencer Wilson "fan". I do this under my own name and will stand behind him. I am not sure if Spencer will be able to get a second chance this weekend or not. That decision is above my pay grade...but I ask the wrestling community to please support this young man if he does, because I believe he deserves a second chance and he has earned all of our support for the composite of his actions both on and off the mat. I only hope when I meet my maker I am not judged by the worst “3 seconds” of my life alone. Thank you.

Mark Stanley

Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: Mark J Stanley] #214819 02/18/13 04:50 PM
Beeson Offline
At WORST it was unsportsmanlike conduct. I have seen put hands in the face harder that and get told to just settle down. The official should have brought them both back to the center of the mat and told them to keep it clean.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: Beeson] #214823 02/18/13 05:05 PM
W
wksfan2010 Offline
W
That's the same official that was at the 321A State Tournament in Hays last year if I'm not mistaken?

Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: Beeson] #214825 02/18/13 05:12 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Great post Mark.

This was NOT FM. A complete travesty. If there was ever a call reversed, this one should be.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: Chief Renegade] #214827 02/18/13 05:23 PM
H
HokaheyCoach Offline
H
Well said Mark... I agree that it is a shame to end a career that way and I hope there is something done to get him back in. Good kid/Bad break.

Scott Walker

There are no losers in wrestling ...only winners & learners!
Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: Mark J Stanley] #214829 02/18/13 05:27 PM
B
BulldogAlum Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Mark J Stanley
Here is what I saw...

Meck had the match in hand (but when you can work head/arm like Spencer you are never out of it)

With time running out, Wilson "lunged" at Meck...the video is now posted so everyone on here can make their own judgment. The only one who knows for sure what the "intent" of the lunge was is Wilson...but my interpretation was that it was not intended to harm Meck in a "Flagrant" manner. I thought he was lunging to get a reaction from Meck that he could exploit...kind of like Meck's "spinning back fist" that doesn't hit the mark does. Because his opponents react to his motion and it sets up a double leg. Meck had two of these "spinning back fist" attempts that failed in the match up at Centennial League versus Wilson. Both of these wrestlers are dynamic and fun to watch… both of them are tough competitors in the arena. On the flip side and more importantly both of them are fine young men. It is no surprise to me that they call each other “best” friends.

After the incident occurred Wilson handled the situation "in control" (he in no way looked like someone who was “out of control” that warranted a career ending FM call to end his senior season). Seaman's coaches did not stomp their feet and act out of control... they knew that a FM call could not be argued mat side. If it were to be reversed or overturned it would have to be the decision of the referee or through an appeal to KSHSAA. The Official did initially reverse/overturn the call and changed the call to unsportsmanlike conduct (which would not of carried the same penalty as Flagrant Misconduct)...he did so on his own after consulting with the second official on the mat. Which is what Meck was asking for (if read his comments in the CJ Online article you will see for yourself…”LET IT GO”). The Shawnee Heights coaches in the corner felt differently and pleaded the case to the official to stick with his original call. After some deliberation, that is what the official did…he reversed his reversal and Spencer was called for Flagrant Misconduct.
Mark Stanley

Let me begin by stating that I do not know the rules in reference to this, I am seeking enlightenment.

If the Seaman coaches knew better than to argue their case, knowing that the call was the official's and ONLY the officials, why then would the Shawnee Heights coaches argue for a FM call? It seems vindictive to me, since their wrestler had the match and the trip to State in his pocket, basically. Why push for the Seaman kid to be disqualified from State competition - - unless their intent was to remove any further competition from Wilson.

Further question: (I don't know, that's why I'm asking) are the official even supposed to LISTEN to arguments pro or con on a decision of this nature?

Just curious...

Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: HokaheyCoach] #214837 02/18/13 06:06 PM
J
J. Sauder Offline
J
The official made the call. Nothing more. There aren't any rules that say you have to agree with an official's call, but there are rules that say you can't head butt your opponent. Whether or not you think the act merited FM over USC is your opinion and everyone is entitled to an opinion. Please be careful placing blame on the official. He made the call that he thought was best at the time and doesn't have the benefit of hindsight, video, or slow motion replays. He also doesn't need me to defend him, but he is a good friend and better offical. If you think he doesn't take a call like that home with him then you are sorely mistaken.

I have said this before and I will say it again, wrestlers dicatate the outcome of a match, not the official. Wrestling is full of life lessons. I feel terrible for the Seaman wrestler and can only hope that the situation has taught him a valuable life lesson.

Jamie Sauder
Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: BulldogAlum] #214839 02/18/13 06:16 PM
B
bigdaddy650r Offline
B

There were 2 officials there , they all saw what happened and they made the right call!
I was there and saw it from a different angle, it was a deliberate heat butt!

The officials made the right call!

Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: bigdaddy650r] #214848 02/18/13 06:38 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
I don't have a horse in this race and I went to the link. I saw no video at the link.

I talked with a friend of mine today about it. He has ref'd for about 20 years. He brought up an excellent point that I had not thought of. He said, "No offical wants to make that call. They know what was at stake. It must have been pretty bad are he would not have called it."

Good point.

Other than that, I fell sorry for Wilson. Sounds like he is a great kid. What a sad, sad way to end his HS career.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: Dean Welsh] #214855 02/18/13 06:58 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Yes it was deliberate, but so was all of the roundhouse collar ties, elbows tot he back of the head, etc etc. that I saw this weekend, that drew only the gathering at center mat, and a good ole "settle it down boys". and problem was solved.

I also am a believer in the "reputation" degree of punishment. Had we seen this out of Spencer throughout his career, he is on a short leash, and a flagrant misconduct is warranted. But with SPencer always being a good kid wherever I've seen him, you cut him some slack.

I don't know the ref's name, but since I've seen him refereeing, I"ve always thought he was one of the good ones. Don't know what he, the other ref, and the opposing coaches talked about to come to their final decision. None of us know what was being said right after it happened either. It appeared that Spencer was already feeling bad about it from his body language.........It would have been different if he was running his mouth still afterwards.........

My two cents......

Re: Spencer Wilson Ruling [Re: Dean Welsh] #214858 02/18/13 07:25 PM
M
Mark J Stanley Offline
M
I told myself that I was going to limit my comments to a single post on this topic…but I need to clarify a couple points. I am not going to put much blame on any “one” person in this situation.

Obviously if Spenser would have chosen a different way to finish the match we would not be discussing this situation. So obviously he bears the most responsibility here.

The officials did try to get it right on Saturday…but my gut tells me that the mat official wishes his original call would have been unsportsmanlike conduct instead of flagrant misconduct which was called. J. Sauder my only point for pointing out the official’s call-reversal-rereversal in this situation is to point out that I believe that he had doubt about his call from the jump. Flagrant Misconduct is kind of like pornography in the since that it is hard to draw a line of what is and what isn’t in the “gray area” …but when it is “black and white” there is no doubt. An official should always cautiously hand out this severe a penalty and before the call is made in a match where a second official is utilized it would be good judgment to consult with your second official prior to making the call…especially if the issue is NOT “black and white”.

The Shawnee Heights coaches were only being advocates for their wrestler the best they saw fit. I am not going to fault them for their actions on the mat. However, I was told after the match that they would not fight an appeal in this case. I am not sure if that is still their position or not…but on Saturday that is what I was told directly by their head coach.

The reason for this response to this…in this situation if you are going to make the call it better be “black and white” and if it was “black and white” then the official would have never reversed his call.

Bigdaddy I never said there was not a head-butt. I am not going to pretend that I know for sure what Wilson’s intent was…but I gave at least on plausible alternative in my original post that it could have been anything but malicious. Bad things happen in matches all the time that are handled with lesser punishment by penalizing the infracting wrestler for the wrong doing in the match. But to call this Flagrant is where the miscarriage occurred and I feel that it should be corrected this week by KSHSAA.

I know that there are some things that happen in matches in which a wrestler should be “taught a lesson” and “an example” of him should be made to others who bear witness. I have sat on disciplinary committees to hear such appeals. I know how I always make my decision. First, I determine if there was any harm done to the opponent. Second, I try to determine if there was a “clear” intent of the offending wrestler in committing the act. The answer to both of these questions in this case is “NO”. So, in my opinion this was not Flagrant Misconduct and it should be overturned.

Thank you...I think I have now clearly stated my position, so I will not debate this topic further in a public forum. If any of you wish to contact me directly via email we can carry this conversation on in an alternate more private manner.

Good Luck to all next week!
mark.stanley.ks@gmail.com
Mark Stanley

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 133 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)