Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Zac Gentzler #215399 02/22/13 01:16 PM
T
Tommyboy Offline OP
OP Offline
T

Andover Central wrestler Zac Gentzler is going for his fourth title in a row at this weekend's state championships. Photogrphed in the Andover Central wrestling room Wednesday. (Feb. 20, 2013) (Fernando Salazar/The Wichita Eagle).

Andover Central’s well-rounded Gentzler chases fourth title

By Joanna Chadwick/The Wichita Eagle

Published Feb. 21 at 5:19 p.m. | Last updated Feb. 21 at 5:20 p.m.

The student section at Andover Central basketball games is one of the best around. And right in front of the large, loud student section is senior Zac Gentzler, leading cheers.

In his wrestling singlet.

Gentzler (37-0 at 120 pounds) is a wrestler through and through. He started wrestling at 4 and has signed with Oklahoma State after already having national success.

Gentzler tries to become Kansas’ 29th wrestler to win four state titles Friday and Saturday in the Class 5A tournament at Hartman Arena.

But during basketball games, he’s one of the most involved.

“He’s a popular kid, everyone likes him, and when he’s doing that at our games, it’s obviously good for (our team) and good for the school,” boys basketball coach Jesse Herrmann said.

This is the first season, though, that Gentzler has attended basketball games.

“I didn’t go to one basketball game freshman through junior year,” Gentzler said. “I don’t know what’s changed, but I think the more I support every sports team, the more they come out for me. And, it’s my senior year, I need to enjoy it.”

Gentzler’s focus has always been on wrestling. While he is a straight-A student — after winning Saturday’s regional championship he watched wrestling video and did his homework — his absorption in the sport never waned.

He wants to get better and he puts in the work. That’s nothing new.

His social life revolved around wrestling and the “Armadillo Gang,” a phrased coined by a former wrestler a half-dozen years ago. Monday night the group went to Taco Shop for dinner and then bowled.

But outside of his wrestling teammates, Gentzler’s social life was quiet.

“I just never really got out and had fun,” he said. “I was too worried about wrestling, wrestling, wrestling. It feels good to go out and hang out with my buddies.”

Now he’s added his student section duties at basketball. He was the winter homecoming king.

The change is one coach Chris Saferite is glad to see.

“He’s taken a bigger role in being a bigger part of the student body as a whole,” Saferite said. “He’s now part of the student council. He’s at basketball games and football games. He’s part of the student section, and he’s kind of a leader in that.

“Wrestling will take care of itself, and he knows that. I enjoy seeing him being more of a leader outside wrestling.”

Gentzler’s slight shift of focus has allowed him to approach his defense of three state titles with less tension. He knows opponents are targeting him. He knows he’ll get the best match from whomever he faces.

As his father, Dan, says, winning four takes a bit of good fortune — you have to be injury free. It’s why when Zac Gentzler complained of a sore throat last week, his father went to the grocery store for any medicine containing the word “throat.”

“I wasn’t taking any chances,” Dan Gentzler said with a laugh.

Zac Gentzler he wants his fourth title. Badly. It’s what he’s worked for, dreamed of.

“This means the world to me,” he said. “I have put so much work in, but I don’t want to get ahead of myself. I need to take it one match at a time.”

Gentzler, who has one loss in high school, has also upped his workouts the past two seasons. He admits to not putting in the extra time during his first two years at Central.

But he’s been the first one to arrive and last to leave these last two years. When practice ends, he’s doing extra pull-ups or sprints.

Gentzler has what all the great athletes do — quickness, athleticism, strength. What sets him apart is his knowledge and experience.

“He never gets out of position,” Saferite said. “He’ll force opponents into bad situations, and at the same time, he can attack offensively, too. Like playing chess, he’s always two, three steps ahead.”

Saferite praises Gentzler’s technical ability. The technical aspect is key because there are so many moves and counters — and counters to someone’s counter.

“He’s been doing it long enough that he knows so much more,” Saferite said. “But it’s not the fact that he knows all the moves that makes him good. It’s how well he does the few that he really likes. It’s his ability to attack on offense and be able to react defensively.”

Gentzler has learned how to react to his quest for four, which is now down to the final few matches.

He’s put the time in at practice. He’s well-conditioned. He knows what he has to do.

It’s been a grind, but he’s been having fun along the way.

“I just go out and press on,” Gentzler said. “It’s the sport I love I just want to go out there and have fun.”

Check Joanna Chadwick’s high school sports blog at blogs.varsitykansas.com. Reach her at 316-268-6270 or jchadwick@wichitaeagle.com.

. Like.
Dislike.
1 person liked this.

Login

Add New Comment

Post as …

Real-time updating is paused. (Resume)

Sort by popular now Sort by best rating Sort by newest first Sort by oldest first

Showing 0 comments

M Subscribe by email
SRSS

Most popular stories
•North High ready to say goodbye to its bygone-era gym
•Andover Central’s well-rounded Gentzler chases fourth title
•State wrestling: Wrestlers to watch
•State wrestling pushed back to late Friday start
•2012-13 Boys basketball sub-state pairings
•Carroll coach rebuilding wrestling tradition
•Tuesday’s Kansas high school boys basketball scores (Feb. 12)
•Buhler’s Gehring finds motivation in past
•Returning state wrestling champions
•Tuesday’s Kansas high school boys basketball scores (Feb. 19)

Schools
•Bishop Carroll
•Kapaun Mount Carmel
•Wichita East
•Wichita Heights
•Wichita North
•Wichita Northwest
•Wichita South
•Wichita Southeast
•Wichita West
•AV-CTL I
•AV-CTL II
•AV-CTL III
•AV-CTL IV
•Central Plains
•Central Kansas

Sports
•Baseball
•Basketball
•Bowling
•Cross Country
•Football
•Golf
•Other Sports
•Soccer
•Softball
•Swimming
•Tennis
•Track and Field
•Volleyball
•Wrestling
•More

VarsityKansas network
•Kansas City Star's Varsity Sports
•Hays Daily News
•Hutchinson News' Just Preps
•Salina Journal
•Topeka Capital-Journal's PrepZone
•Garden City Telegram's SWKPrepZone
•Pittsburg Morning Sun's SEK Game night
•Arkansas City Traveler
•Dodge City Daily Globe
•El Dorado Times
•Emporia Gazette
•Great Bend Tribune
•KCPrephoops
•Lawrence Journal-World
•Leavenworth Times
•Leader and Times (Liberal)
•Manhattan Mercury
•McPherson Sentinel
•Newton Kansan
•Olathe News
•Parsons Sun
•Pratt Tribune
•Wellington Daily News
•Winfield Daily Courier

HomeBlog
Live Chats
Schools
Sports
Stats
Video

City LeagueBishop Carroll
Kapaun Mount Carmel
Wichita East
Wichita Heights
Wichita North
Wichita Northwest
Wichita South
Wichita Southeast
Wichita West

AVCTL1Campus
Derby
Hutchinson
Maize
Newton
Salina Central
Salina South

AVCTL2Andover
Andover Central
Arkansas City
Goddard
Goddard Eisenhower
Maize South
Valley Center

AVCTL3Buhler
El Dorado
McPherson
Mulvane
Rose Hill
Winfield

AVCTL4Andale
Augusta
Circle
Clearwater
Wellington
Wichita Collegiate

Central PlainsBelle Plaine
Bluestem
Chaparral
Cheney
Conway Springs
Douglass
Garden Plain
Medicine Lodge
Wichita Independent
Wichita Trinity

Central KansasHalstead
Haven
Hesston
Hillsboro
Kingman
Lyons
Nickerson
Pratt
Smoky Valley
Sterling

LegalTerms of Service
Privacy Policy
About our ads
Copyright
About Varsity Kansas
About the McClatchy Company

Re: Zac Gentzler [Re: Tommyboy] #215412 02/22/13 03:08 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
For me - this is a very PROUD moment and I am saddened this will come to a close. I remember Zac rolling around on the mat when he was four (4) years old down in the dungeon at WWC practices at Kapaun.

However, the bright side is I am a season ticket holder of Oklahoma State University wrestling tickets and will have the privilege of watching Zac at the next level with the Cowboys.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Zac Gentzler [Re: RichardDSalyer] #215480 02/23/13 11:49 AM
WOOD_WON Offline
I want to first tell Z congrats and I am so proud of u and the impact you have had on Landon.

To Dan: For those of u who dont know him as I u are missing out. Look at all the kids that are placers and think where their youth years were speant. Alot of them were molded and or groomed by Big Dan. Thank you for being there for Landon. He looks up to you!!!!!

Z, be proud and thankful for all the support your Mom and Dad give ya. Love like my own!!!!

POPPERS

"Champions rise during the week not the weekend"
Jason Wood
Re: Zac Gentzler [Re: WOOD_WON] #215534 02/24/13 04:15 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Zac was all business in the Championship match. He is one very talented wrestler and I am sure his work ethic is nearly second to none. Congratulations on winning your fourth State Championship Zac.

Lee Girard
Re: Zac Gentzler [Re: ReDPloyd] #215648 02/25/13 04:47 AM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Congratulations to Zac Gentzler for a simply amazing career; 4 state titles, over 150 wins, etc. What a great wrestler. What a great kid. What a great young man.
Congratulations to all of Zac's coaches, his team mates and training partners over the years who I am sure take great delight in being a part of his success whether a small part or big.
Congratulations to Zac's friends and family, but especially his mom and dad and brother Jake who put in so much time, energy and love.
Congratulations to Tommyboy.
But mainly Congratulations to Zac, you did all the work!
Thanks for giving all of us in the wrestling community a lot of pleasure.
Best wishes with your future, where ever it may take you. You will be successful at what ever you do I am sure, but Oklahoma State University is sure a great place to start the next phase of your career. smile

Last edited by XGHSWC; 02/25/13 04:50 AM.
Re: Zac Gentzler [Re: XGHSWC] #215682 02/25/13 03:19 PM
badbo Offline
Great job Zac!!!!!! Awesome wrestler, kid, and family. You will continue to do great in all you do.

The Pursel's

Re: Zac Gentzler [Re: badbo] #215686 02/25/13 03:44 PM
K
Kevin Howell Offline
K
Zac,
Congratulations on achieving your goal of four state titles.
Thank you for the positive impact you've had on Kansas wrestling. I know one wrestler who was very positively impacted through years of having the toughest practice partner anywhere. Dan and Cheri just sit back and smile.

Re: Zac Gentzler [Re: Kevin Howell] #215765 02/25/13 09:06 PM
R
RyanWill Offline
R
Congrats Zac you are an amazing wrestler and person wish you the best in college

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 146 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,370
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)