Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Baker Wrestling Coach to Step Down #217633 03/25/13 09:28 PM
Mike Juby Offline OP
OP Offline
Baker Wrestling Coach to Step Down, Move to Admissions

BALDWIN CITY, Kan. – Baker University head wrestlingcoach Jimmy May announced his retirement from coaching on Monday after jump-starting the wrestling program five years ago.

May became the first wrestling coach in the history of the University in 2008 and has put Baker on the map among NAIA wrestling institutions.

May’s retirement from coaching will allow him to focus on a new role within the University, the Athletics Liaison in the Office of Admissions. His ability to recruit high-character student-athletes and his commitment to academic excellence make him a natural fit for the Office of Admissions. May will remain actively involved with the wrestling program during the transitional year by helping to recruit and mentor the new head coach and working with the 2013-14 wrestling team.

“With as many student-athletes as we have on the Baldwin City campus, communication between the Athletics Department and the Office of Admissions becomes very important,” Kevin Kropf, Director of Enrollment Management, said. “We are very excited to have Jimmy May join our team as he is a proven recruiter with an outstanding track record in college athletics.”

May has propelled the Wildcats to remarkable heights during the program’s young history. He has coached eight NAIA All-Americans, 70 NAIA National Championship qualifiers, two NAIA National Championship finalists and a Kansas Cup Championship.

“I cannot say enough about what Jimmy May has done for Baker University and our wrestling program,” Theresa Yetmar, Director of Athletics, said. “He constructed a vision five years ago and has built a rock-solid foundation for the future. Jimmy and I will work hand in hand to assure this is a smooth transition in order to protect and perpetuate the success of our program. His mentorship for our new head coach will only enhance our ability to sustain the level of excellence we have established in this program.”

“I am so proud of the level of success, both academically and athletically, that we have achieved. When a program is started from the ground up there will always bechallenges to establish the team as a competitive force in the sport. To benationally recognized in NAIA wrestling so early in the life of Baker wrestling is remarkable, and I credit Jimmy’s impressive leadership to making this a reality.”

Bakerended the 2012-2013 season ranked No. 15 in the NAIA Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll, and Brandon Gebhardt advanced to his second NAIA National Championship Final in the heavyweight division.

May grew the program to 59 student-athletes in 2012-13 and hosted the NAIA Central Regional Championships in 2013 at the Collins Center, where the Wildcats finished fourth behind three Top 10 NAIA programs.

“I think Jimmy’s vast knowledge of the inner workings of our university makes him a natural fit in Admissions. His leadership style combines a great work ethic and passion to help students succeed in life. He sees the broader picture and will be able to collaborate with our coaches to continue to recruit the best andbrightest student-athletes,” Yetmar said.

“I would like to thank University President Dr. Pat Long and Director of Athletics Theresa Yetmar and the entire Baker family,” Coach May said. ”The Baker community has been incredibly nice to me in my five years here. I came in as a bit of an outsider and they brought me in as a member of their family. I’d also like to thank former Director of Athletics Dan Harris for hiring me and serving as a great leader as we began this program.

“Thank you also to the Baldwin City wrestling community, they accepted me with open arms and really supported our program and were a big part of our success atBaker. Most importantly I’d like to thank all of the athletes who wrestled for me here at Baker. We had some athletes that were with us for all four years and they are the face of the program and are what Baker is all about. I was also blessed with some very talented assistant coaches specifically Levi Calhoun and George Roath and I can’t say enough positive things about them.

“The experiences at Baker have been some of the best of my coaching career and of my life and I am looking forward to my new role in the Office of Admissions and the new challenge.”

Yetmar will immediately begin the search for a new head coach who will officially assume duties for the program on July 1.

-BAKER-

Re: Baker Wrestling Coach to Step Down [Re: Mike Juby] #217634 03/25/13 09:29 PM
Mike Juby Offline OP
OP Offline
Jimmy May has done a great job promoting our sport and developing a great program at Baker University. I'm glad to hear that he'll be staying involved with the university and the program in his new role as Athletics Liaison.

Re: Baker Wrestling Coach to Step Down [Re: Mike Juby] #217635 03/25/13 10:01 PM
usawks1 Offline
Congrats Coach May!!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Baker Wrestling Coach to Step Down [Re: usawks1] #217639 03/26/13 12:34 AM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
Coach Jimmy May is a great man and great coach. Very glad he became part of our community & state.

Re: Baker Wrestling Coach to Step Down [Re: Kit Harris] #217640 03/26/13 12:38 AM
E
eric luedke Offline
E
Congrats on a great High School and College Coaching Career! I really enjoy your facebook page! Good Luck!

Last edited by eric luedke; 03/26/13 08:42 AM.

Eric Luedke
Re: Baker Wrestling Coach to Step Down [Re: eric luedke] #217649 03/26/13 02:45 AM
J
JJETC Offline
J
Congratulations to Coach May! Did a heck of a job on his run at Baker and building that program.

Re: Baker Wrestling Coach to Step Down [Re: JJETC] #217696 03/27/13 02:47 AM
I
ike Offline
I
I'll be interested to see who takes over here. It seems like a great job. Baldwin City is a nice little town and close to Lawrence. Coach May definitely got them off on the right foot.

Re: Baker Wrestling Coach to Step Down [Re: ike] #217718 03/27/13 06:13 PM
J
Joel J Thompson Offline
J
I agree Ike. I think the location alone makes it an attractive position. Should bring in some nice applicants!

TCOB
Genesis 32:22-31
Re: Baker Wrestling Coach to Step Down [Re: Joel J Thompson] #217765 03/28/13 03:38 PM
C
Coach Sig Offline
C
Congrats to Coach May. it was always fun competing against Baker at the Kansas Cup. He certainly has the program headed in the right direction.

Re: Baker Wrestling Coach to Step Down [Re: Coach Sig] #217775 03/28/13 04:54 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
My family owes Jimmy May a lot. My son wrestled for his first three years of college at Baker University for Jimmy May. The best decision my son made was to attend Baker University. It was a great athletic and academic choice for him. It was due to the efforts of Dan Harris and Jimmy May that my son the opportunity to attend Baker and experience college life both as a wrestler and a student. He has a lot to be grateful for due to the efforts of Dan, Jimmy and others who brought college wrestling to Baker University. Best of luck to Coach Jimmy May in his future position with Baker University. Well done, Coach!

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 144 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)