Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate #221737 11/25/13 03:18 AM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Fea...ith-Concussions

I personally would like to see the NFHSA mandate that ALL wrestlers wear a mouthpiece. Although this article doesn't mention this a possible, theoretical method of prevention there have been many published claims.

http://www.sportsdentistry.com/concussion.html

To me it is a no brainer. If there is to be some mandate requiring the use of a mouthpiece it should be applied to 100% of the wrestlers. There is obviously some dental protection and the possibility of reducing concussion risk with NO downside to risk to using an appliance. Seems simple to me.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: Cokeley] #221739 11/25/13 01:57 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B
I am againt mandatory mouthpieces. Makes it harder to bite.

The older I get the better I was!
Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: back in the day] #221744 11/25/13 07:30 PM
Beeson Offline
Sounds like governmental micro managing. I suppose you are for mandatory seat belts and helmet laws also. Come on Will, leave us some freedom of choice. It's ridiculous that we have to wear headgear, let's not add to the madness.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: Cokeley] #221745 11/25/13 09:54 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Fea...ith-Concussions

I personally would like to see the NFHSA mandate that ALL wrestlers wear a mouthpiece. Although this article doesn't mention this a possible, theoretical method of prevention there have been many published claims.

http://www.sportsdentistry.com/concussion.html

To me it is a no brainer. If there is to be some mandate requiring the use of a mouthpiece it should be applied to 100% of the wrestlers. There is obviously some dental protection and the possibility of reducing concussion risk with NO downside to risk to using an appliance. Seems simple to me.

Why mandate this? Kansas doesn't even follow the mandated weigh in times. If we won't follow one rule, why should we ask for another one to break?

Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: Beeson] #221747 11/26/13 02:10 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Chad,

We are talking about kids. We don't let them decide whether or not they should wear a helmet or not, whether they can enter into a contract or not, or even vote. They are not capable of evaluating all of the risks and consequences to their decisions. It is even questionable that we should be letting them drive or not. Head injuries are very serious and if you don't think so then go read this link: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/553967

The NFHSA is cracking down and currently one reason being sited for not having coach contact outside of the season during the school year is chance of head injury. Hopefully you realize that if Jake gets his "bell rung" in HS, your school will be responsible to take him off of the mat until a doctor, not a vet, has ruled that his condition has not debilitated him. A mouthpiece could be preventative. What is the downside? Ryne had to have $6,000 worth of dental work done last year due to a wrestling injury incurred when he was 12. A $30 mouthpiece seemed REALLY cheap when I had to pay the deductible on that bill! Brain injuries and dental work are serious matters around the rest of the country. smile

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: Cokeley] #221751 11/26/13 05:47 PM
C
CWB Offline
C
will I am with you about 90% of the time. Right now there is no rule saying your or any ones kid cant use a mouth peace.Seems to me if people are worried about this happening they can all ready do some thing.To me it is just one more thing the kids can spit out to get a break on the mat.

Charles Bradford

Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: CWB] #221754 11/26/13 08:12 PM
B
budkes Offline
B
Heck Will the next thing you will be advocating for is....

1. More school districts so kids can get more focused attention on the running of schools.

2. A further division of the school divisions (it helps the kids mental health to have more state champions and placers)

3. Universal healthcare so you don't have to pay a large deductible.

The list goes on. I think you have gone to the other side. Are you trying to get on the KSHSAA board?

Ha! Just kidding. Couldn't resist when you serve up those softballs!

Shawn

Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: budkes] #221759 11/27/13 12:42 AM
Beeson Offline
I have a very good vet/doctor. If you don't take them to the doctor you don't have to sit them out. smile

Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: Beeson] #221761 11/27/13 03:59 AM
Tyson Schreiner Offline
I'm with Beeson and the others on this. If parents feel they need to take extra precautions for their kids, then by all means do it. If anyone feels that they have too many gun rights, then by all means vote democratic. Let's keep some decisions up to the people.:)

Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: Tyson Schreiner] #221762 11/27/13 05:00 AM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
So we shouldn't wear seatbelts? It is ok to drink and drive? Why is headgear mandatory but not a mouthpiece? Save your ears but not your teeth and brains? Whether or not we like it, the rules for returning to competition after a head injury are getting more and more strict. We mandate a mouthpiece for kids wearing braces so why not apply it to everyone? CWB, the old days of having to have a legitimate reason to call for an injury time out are gone. If a mouthpiece comes out then the officials can ding the competitor for a INJ TO and if the do it again the opponent will get choice. I guess none of you are concerned about the rise in head injuries and post concussion syndrome...or dental damage...

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: Cokeley] #221763 11/27/13 05:40 AM
Tyson Schreiner Offline
Seat belts,drunk driving, two complete different things. Seat belts are subjective, drunk driving isn't. Hard to wear a seatbelt on a motorcycle. Some things should just be left up to individuals and parents. If your too worried about injury maybe wrestling isn't the best sport for the individual. In some peoples eyes, they wouldn't let their kids wrestle period, just because of the dangers. How do we address every other potential injury in wrestling? Where would it end? Wrestle in bubble wrap?

Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: Tyson Schreiner] #221764 11/27/13 11:35 AM
Beeson Offline
The only logical explanation for this thread is...Will has sustained a head injury and is still suffering the side effects. grin As a Member of PA-PA (People Against the Pussification of America)I am asking for one of Will's friends or family members to please mail me his PA-PA membership card. It should be fairly easy to get it from him, all you have to do is tell him it is in the best interest of everyone and you are just doing it to protect him from himself. In his current state of mind that will make perfect sense. Will, I will return your card to you as soon as I get a note from your Doctor or Vet that says you are cleared to post again. I wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to tougher posts.

Your Friend,

Chad wink

P.S. You have to admit that is some funny stuff right there.

Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: Beeson] #221765 11/27/13 11:52 AM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
I appreciate the humor. I am pretty sure Tyson makes his kids wear seatbelts and I really don't think having wrestlers wear a mouthpiece is pussifying anything. Kyle Dake has his in from warm ups until they raise his hand. He is not a pussy by any stretch of the definition. Often I do get frustrated with rules and mandates but seeing the reaction to suggestion that makes nothing less than good sense shows me why we do have to make rules and mandates. People can be just too stubborn for their own kids' well being. Don't be surprised if this doesn't show up in the front of the rule book as a change in the very near future.

Go to the kshsaa.org site and type "concussion" in the search field and spend a little time educating yourselves on where sports and head injuries are going. I am going to draw the pussification line right after protecting your brains. Remember, April says "Will is just like you but a lot smarter."

You can take my card away when you pry it from my cold dead fingers! smile

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: Cokeley] #221766 11/27/13 12:37 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Often I do get frustrated with rules and mandates but seeing the reaction to suggestion that makes nothing less than good sense shows me why we do have to make rules and mandates. People can be just too stubborn for their own kids' well being. Don't be surprised if this doesn't show up in the front of the rule book as a change in the very near future.

On a serious note, it is a slippery slope when we allow any organization to mandate to protect us from ourselves. If you jump on the side that we need to do this because they don't know any better, then you don't have a leg to stand on with KSHAA and competition points, driving distances, time kids can have with coaches in the off season, the list goes on. They are just helping you do what is best for your kid because you are too stubborn to know they should not be competing as much. It really is in your childs best interest. BULLSHIT. The option is there, either wear one or don't.

Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: Beeson] #221770 11/27/13 02:25 PM
J
jeremy sekavec Offline
J
I have to agree with Will on this one. I have suffered the short term and long term affects of concussions and not letting your head heel. Trust me suffering from the brain damage done by concussions is not fun. It literally took three years for my brain to somewhat heel and i still suffer effects from the concussions. Putting a mouthpiece in your mouth does not make a kid a whip or a puss. If it a 100% agree the kid wont get a concussion? No, it is not but it can't hurt either. I am all for the rule. Trust me if you want to know what it is like living with the side effects, i am more than living to talk to you about it. Yes KSHSAA has many rules i do not agree with but i will support this one 100%

Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: jeremy sekavec] #221772 11/27/13 02:51 PM
Beeson Offline
Just for the record...I am not saying that wearing a mouthpiece makes a kid a puss. I know for a fact Kyle Dake is tough as nails. But he is not tough as nails because he does or does not wear a mouthpiece. The pussification comes from someone telling me I have to make my kid wear a do something for his own good. Just like Obama-care...and look how well that is working out.

You worry about your kid and I'll worry about mine. I'm sure everyone does what they think is best. But don't force me, because your afraid of a lawsuit or an expensive dental bill.

Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: Beeson] #221774 11/27/13 03:20 PM
in it to win it Offline
Great research & presentation on Will's part. A majority if not all elite senior & collegiate wrestlers wear mouthpieces. The look of a hearing aid around the ear when not live wrestling is quite amusing. How do you think JB kept his great teeth? or Anthony Robles? Well, Rulon didn't & you ll never get him to smile/flash his pearly whites.

SMART WRESTLER ----> mouthpiece, Ears are optional!

In it to win it.
Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: in it to win it] #221776 11/27/13 03:32 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Think of this guys. We mandate headgear and not teeth and concussion protection? Boxers and football guys have to wear mouth protection. Nobody accuses them of being soft. Mouthpieces would be a minimal requirement. I actually think they should require them and not headgear.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: Chief Renegade] #221781 11/27/13 04:20 PM
Beeson Offline
I'm still not saying anybody is soft...I'm just saying it should be an option. Jake doesn't wear headgear at practice but does in competition...I guarantee practice is tougher than competition. Even if it is mandated for competition that is not where the wear and tear on a wrestler happens. You'll never get it mandated for practices, so why mandate it for competition. Just as silly as headgear.

Re: Head Injuries - Good Article - Mouthpiece Mandate [Re: Beeson] #221784 11/27/13 05:33 PM
in it to win it Offline
Actually, the theoretical basis of the findings within the journals are credible & valid.

It doesn't have to be taken "personal" the justification outweighs the potential risk.

Well known fact, we can "break an arm" in practice just as well as competition" --- better story in in competition.

Informed choices.

In it to win it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 145 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)