Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Colby Regional #225814 02/23/14 05:11 PM
T
Teamroper Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I wanted to come on here and give credit to the Colby Ad and tournment workers.

It wasn't a secret that the 2 matts have been challenged and complained about. My self included, but they did a good job statying on time and kept things moving.

Overall very good job Colby!

I wish I could say the same for their fans. Their booing of Bird in the finals match was nothing but classless.

It should matter, these are kids and the large Colby crowd shouldn't have been booing a High School kid while he was getting his hand raised and named called out for winning his finals match.

I was mat side during the match, this is what I thought.

These scenerios has been talked about before, was the wrestler out before, during or after the pin. It did appear he was out but when it happen I'm not sure and it all happen so fast it was done and over before I knew it. Very very hard for a referee to see when it exactly happened.

I also remember the bottom guy trying to block the step over with his legs meaning he still was "awake" at that time.

From what I say it was completely legit and legal.

I don't have a dog it the fight so to speak, but booing a 17-18 year kids that works as hard as these boys do just seems like complete crap from the host team.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Colby Regional [Re: Teamroper] #225818 02/23/14 05:41 PM
B
Bob Miller Offline
B
I agree! For only having 2 mats I thought it was very well ran.I also agree about the crowd kinda sad to have them boo a kid who won the match with a legal move. But overall good job Colby.

Re: Colby Regional [Re: Bob Miller] #225822 02/23/14 05:57 PM
B
bbd Offline
B
I witnessed darn near the entire gymnasium boo a kid at Wakeeney because he scored 3 points in 6.7 seconds. Pretty pathetic sportsmanship showed there.

Re: Colby Regional [Re: bbd] #225826 02/23/14 06:14 PM
R
Ron Burgundy Offline
R
Colby did do a great job running the tournament. The hospitality room was top notch. And the elderly lady even cautioned us about on not putting too much additional salt on the vegetable soup. Desserts were out of this world.

I would like to think the boos were meant for the official instead since he didn't stop the match. But it was a legal front headlock, so I don't know that many officials would have stopped it anyway. Taylor is a good kid. We wish him luck at state.

Re: Colby Regional [Re: bbd] #225828 02/23/14 06:17 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: bbd
I witnessed darn near the entire gymnasium boo a kid at Wakeeney because he scored 3 points in 6.7 seconds. Pretty pathetic sportsmanship showed there.

Were they booing the kid or the calls? smile Just saying...

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Colby Regional [Re: Cokeley] #225829 02/23/14 06:18 PM
T
Teamroper Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Originally Posted By: bbd

Were they booing the kid or the calls? smile Just saying...

Either way have some repsect and dignity.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Colby Regional [Re: Cokeley] #225830 02/23/14 06:23 PM
Cokeley Offline
Looks like Smoky Valley is up and coming and Colby is sliding. Maybe too much time working on rankings and not enough working on the mat? smile

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Colby Regional [Re: Cokeley] #225847 02/23/14 08:35 PM
Coach Malay Offline
Booing the call

Michael Malay
Trego Community High School Head Wrestling Coach
mmalay@tregoeagles.com
785-769-3082
Re: Colby Regional [Re: Ron Burgundy] #225870 02/23/14 11:49 PM
R
Rford Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Ron Burgundy
Colby did do a great job running the tournament. The hospitality room was top notch. And the elderly lady even cautioned us about on not putting too much additional salt on the vegetable soup. Desserts were out of this world.

I would like to think the boos were meant for the official instead since he didn't stop the match. But it was a legal front headlock, so I don't know that many officials would have stopped it anyway. Taylor is a good kid. We wish him luck at state.

Front headlocks, any headlocks, are a problem...if a kid ends up being rendered unconscious that's really a problem...hard to imagine it not being illegal at that point.

Re: Colby Regional [Re: Rford] #225898 02/24/14 02:31 AM
S
Sports Nut Offline
S
I was a fan in attendance at the Colby Regional. First of all, I want to compliment the smoothness on how it was ran, even though there were only 2 mats being used. The people in charge were very organized, and they wasted no time at all in going from round to round in a smooth transition. The concessions were awesome, and all the baked goods at the fundraiser for the young lady battling cancer, were absolutely amazing. Great job Colby, in hosting a well ran regional. As far as the incident in the 182 pound championship match, I must admit that I was a little disappointed in the Colby fans and their unsportsmanship after the match. I am not gonna say if it was an illegal move or not, cause I honestly do not know, but if it was illegal, by no means was it intentional. The winning wrestler was very concerned, and showed no arrogance whatsoever in his actions, following the match. I can understand the fans frustration, but the entire arena booing that way, in what should of been a lifetime dream of the winning wrestler, was absolutely wrong in my opinion. Even if it was directed at the officials, that's fine, but then show some class and cheer for the wrestler who just earned the championship. What is society turning into, when it has fans showing that kind of sportsmanship? Don't get me wrong, the fans overall for the tournament were great, but that one moment kinda put a damper on the nights festivities. Being upset is a normal reaction that occurs, but when it involves obscene language in front of children in the stands is unacceptable. Overall Colby, you ran one helluva great tournament, but next time hopefully their fans will show a little more class during a trying time. Good luck to all of the 4A wrestlers who have qualified for the big show in Salina. To make it to state is quite an accomplishment that you should all be very proud of.

Re: Colby Regional [Re: Sports Nut] #226014 02/24/14 07:45 PM
my3sons Offline
Not sure about the rankings Will but with one Senior, two juniors, and the rest sophs and freshman not sure were sliding but are on the young side. Had a couple kids (soph) that didn't make the show, which one got his jaw broke during a match he won on the backside. Definetly have to hit the weight room and some summer wrestling to get where we to be. Blake

Blake Arnberger
Re: Colby Regional [Re: my3sons] #226092 02/24/14 11:29 PM
B
bigdog75x Offline
B
Bird had a head and arm locked in on the front side. that move is totally legal . the men that were airing it live online even said it was legal move. Colby wrestler did reach for a leg. The Colby fans were in the wrong for booing and it shows they have no class.

Re: Colby Regional [Re: Cokeley] #226097 02/24/14 11:49 PM
K
ksuwrestling2 Offline
K
Looks like Smoky Valley is up and coming and Colby is sliding. Maybe too much time working on rankings and not enough working on the mat? smile

Wow, I just saw this. What a low blow to Coach Sims. Sims is an awesome coach and for you to say that is total crap. Maybe if you didn't steal his wrestlers Colby would still be up-and-coming. But last time I checked they have won more state titles than you.

Steve Moser
Re: Colby Regional [Re: ksuwrestling2] #226109 02/25/14 12:46 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: ksuwrestling2

Wow, I just saw this. What a low blow to Coach Sims. Sims is an awesome coach and for you to say that is total crap. Maybe if you didn't steal his wrestlers Colby would still be up-and-coming. But last time I checked they have won more state titles than you.

But Moeder won three more than he would have if he had stayed in Colby. smile Low blows are very effective. I know exactly when to use them. smile

Did SJA steal Moeder or did they buy him? Make up your mind Steve... Why don't you call Tim Moeder and get the facts or you can continue to blow like the wind. In God we trust, all others must bring data. Where is yours? Steve, what have you done to improve Kansas wrestling? What do you do to help kids out?

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 128 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,939
Posts250,371
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)