Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Would Kansas be better without class wrestling? [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #226524 02/27/14 01:32 PM
SilverSurfer Offline
Originally Posted By: fan of the sport
So you're you saying, we need class wrestling to stimulate the economy.

What I object to is you restating my point into something I didn't say. Don't re-state the simple point I made into something else. I never said we need class wrestling, let alone we need it to stimulate the economy. We can work through the other pieces of the discussion, but don't run from wrongfully changing up anything I posted.

Last edited by SilverSurfer; 02/27/14 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Jim McLaughlin
JimmyMick@gmail.com
Re: Would Kansas be better without class wrestling? [Re: SilverSurfer] #226527 02/27/14 01:52 PM
N
Niehuesj Offline
N
I will open Pandora's box again with an outside the box idea. Lets say we could get all of the tournaments into one location on one weekend (wishful thinking, I know). This could even move around from year to year as to not favor one area or town with the business and tournament. Plot set.

Along with the current schedule the tournament would run Fri/Sat. From this tournament you could take the four state champions and put them in a round robin tournament on Sunday. I know this will invigorate people but upsets happen. I know you will have cases were a kid won a state championship as an underclassman that didn't win as a senior. Under the scenario I am proposing the Grand State tournament would let your four champions wrestle it off on Sunday regardless of age. I know people will hate this idea but why not throw it out there.

I know three days of wrestling is tough but making the weight could be the worst, which is why I would propose a growth allowance for this tournament of 5-10 pounds for the Sunday competition.

These four wrestlers would wrestle the other 3 state champions in a round robin format to declare the winner by record or by standard tie breaking rules set forth by KSHSAA and the NFHS.

I know there are flaws. Like previous state champions not being in the running but that would only be a problem for the first three years of the tournament. This tournament would only be to determine the Grand State Champion.

This would be a way for spectators to see 42 amazing matches, with the champions from that year. As well as offer a great recruiting weekend for colleges to come view Kansas Wrestling at it's best.

Let the controversy begin, I know it's not perfect but what is.

John Niehues
niehuesj57@gmail.com
Re: Would Kansas be better without class wrestling? [Re: Niehuesj] #226539 02/27/14 03:17 PM
bubbasmom77 Offline
We have two classes in pa. AA and AAA lots and lots of kids that don't make the state tournament and our participation numbers are growing. To say you would quit if you didn't think you could make it to state is pathetic and disturbing. You took everything that wrestling is supposed to teach you and spit on it. Hard work dedication never give up or tell all these kids it's getting hard so you better quit cause you might not make state

Re: Would Kansas be better without class wrestling? [Re: bubbasmom77] #226551 02/27/14 03:47 PM
G
greendog Offline
G
All based on perspective. In my view it would not be near as good. Bottom line you would have less fans, parents, coaches, wrestlers, and cheerleaders at the state tournament. Therefore less people that care about the outcome. On top of that smaller towns wouldn't stand a chance a team placing...which would eliminate are part of the state competition for them. If you want your all class have your wrester compete in the kids championships in Topeka. If that isn't big enough for you go to nationals...if that isn't big enough for you enter the Olympic trials.

Last edited by greendog; 02/27/14 03:49 PM.
Re: Would Kansas be better without class wrestling? [Re: bubbasmom77] #226555 02/27/14 04:13 PM
W
Wrestlin Scholar Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted By: bubbasmom77
We have two classes in pa. AA and AAA lots and lots of kids that don't make the state tournament and our participation numbers are growing. To say you would quit if you didn't think you could make it to state is pathetic and disturbing. You took everything that wrestling is supposed to teach you and spit on it. Hard work dedication never give up or tell all these kids it's getting hard so you better quit cause you might not make state

The PA state tournament is a meat grinder. They say PA AAA arguably could could be maybe toughest state tournament in the country even though its classed. If you make it through, you're tough. My son wrestles in Indiana and didn't make state this year but did get through sectionals and regionals but lost to the state runner up in first round of semi-state. He's not going to quit but was really encouraged that he made it far and plans on working hard in the off season to improve.

"If pro is the opposite on con, then the opposite of progress is congress"
Re: Would Kansas be better without class wrestling? [Re: greendog] #226557 02/27/14 04:46 PM
W
Wrestlin Scholar Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Greendog,

You're right its about perspective. See the internet link below to get a perspective on how the Kansas system compares to other states. Its pretty interesting.

http://www.indianamat.com/stuff/statebreakdown.html

I agree it would be tougher for smaller towns, but they still could find a method to win team championships by an added dual format or you could score 4 different team classifications based on the scoring from the individual tournament.

You're also right that there would be less parents, coaches and wrestlers at state but it would be a lot better for the fan instead of the chopped up 3 location sites they have now. I think you would see significant fan growth as you would be show casing the top talent in the state. Just think about the anticipation you would have for the Dulgarian vs Lambotte matchup.

Last edited by fan of the sport; 02/27/14 04:46 PM.

"If pro is the opposite on con, then the opposite of progress is congress"
Re: Would Kansas be better without class wrestling? [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #226569 02/27/14 05:46 PM
REVOLUTION Offline
Simple question? Do the kids want it? More than likely NO. Daddys want it. Ask the guys who try to fill the weights at the SR. Classic how hard it is to do that.
Not going to happen so get over it.

Last edited by REVOLUTION; 02/27/14 05:47 PM.

COWBOY UP!
Re: Would Kansas be better without class wrestling? [Re: REVOLUTION] #226576 02/27/14 07:12 PM
M
mfe Offline
M
I agree! ONLY chance is a Grand State and that chance is slim and nill since NO OTHER high school sport in Kansas has it. I guess if we are dreaming, nothing wrong with dreaming big. That said, a Grand State would be great for wrestling.

Re: Would Kansas be better without class wrestling? [Re: ksuwrestling2] #226586 02/27/14 07:41 PM
E
eric luedke Offline
E
How about 2 classes with 32 qualifiers, and place the top eight? We would still have the same amount of attendence and state qualifiers. Probably more because it would be a bigger better tournament than we have now with more of the top kansas talent meeting. Would be going from 24 to 16 state placers. Would be a 3 day tournament in one or two locations. Its better than having losing records and opens at the state tournament. It also makes it easier to set up an all-star dual big schools against small. Thoughts? I am dreaming!

Eric Luedke
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 123 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,935
Posts250,366
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)