Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Out of Shape Wrestlers #226658 03/01/14 03:58 AM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
I was sorely disappointed with the amount of injury time that was taken today. Poked in the eye, knee, shoulder, leg cramps, fingers, toes, ankles, elbows, and what ever excuse some wrestlers could find to take a time out. Some times it looked as though they were needing a break because they were tired. Sometimes they were having a close match and needed to regroup or get some coaching. The main reason I bring it up; it seems the same wrestlers have the same ailments every time they have a tough match. Man up boys and wrestle. It is poor sportsmanship to call time out just because you are tired, worn out, or frazzled.

Now with that said, there were a lot of great matches today. Some wrestlers were prepared and ready to give all they had for 6 minutes. To those valiant warriors, I salute you, admire your love and drive for the sport, and wish you all the best. It's unfortunate that your matches are lengthened and stalled out because some of your opponents were not as prepared and dedicated to handle the battle that you were bringing to the mat.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: Beeson] #226712 03/02/14 04:24 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
Some probably were not use to really making weight. LOL.....

Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: John Johnson] #226725 03/02/14 02:08 PM
D
DamonParker Offline
D
This has been a point of discussion for our coaching staff all season.

We believe there should be a rule change that reflects college wrestling: on the FIRST injury timeout without blood the opposing wrestler should have choice of position, and on the 2nd injury time a wrestler should be done.

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: DamonParker] #226731 03/02/14 03:22 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Excellent solution COACH! Now Cokeley and others, make it happen - PLEASE!!!

This weekend I saw a very exhausted wrestler take his full five minutes, then he got up and secured the winning TD for an OT victory.

I was amazed as this kid and his coaching staff just sat on the mat, watching the injury clock run down . . . and then the kid magically pops up, fully recharged with less than ten seconds left on his 'injury time'.

It reminded me of a boxer watching the ref count the ten seconds for the KO . . . the downed boxer pops up around the 8 or 9 count . . . great strategy in boxing where one only has ten seconds or they are DONE.

Sitting on one's as# . . . for four minutes plus . . . totally different. Fair? Yes, due to the rule. Ethical, I'll let 'you' decide.

Let us hope that the rule is changed - thank you Coach Coleman for providing a solution to this annoying problem that plagues our beloved sport.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: Dean Welsh] #226734 03/02/14 04:12 PM
RJW1 Offline
Originally Posted By: Dean Welsh
Excellent solution COACH! Now Cokeley and others, make it happen - PLEASE!!!

This weekend I saw a very exhausted wrestler take his full five minutes, then he got up and secured the winning TD for an OT victory.

I was amazed as this kid and his coaching staff just sat on the mat, watching the injury clock run down . . . and then the kid magically pops up, fully recharged with less than ten seconds left on his 'injury time'.

It reminded me of a boxer watching the ref count the ten seconds for the KO . . . the downed boxer pops up around the 8 or 9 count . . . great strategy in boxing where one only has ten seconds or they are DONE.

Sitting on one's as# . . . for four minutes plus . . . totally different. Fair? Yes, due to the rule. Ethical, I'll let 'you' decide.

Let us hope that the rule is changed - thank you Coach Coleman for providing a solution to this annoying problem that plagues our beloved sport.

What if we changed it to only allow a minute and a half of injury time! grin grin

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: RJW1] #226735 03/02/14 04:51 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B
Two thoughts:

In DIII they call this move the "East Coast Tornado"

If these poor boys are so tired, maybe we should only allow three matches a day! Or maybe two!

The older I get the better I was!
Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: back in the day] #226747 03/02/14 05:19 PM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
How about they just get in shape or we get more ethical coaches that will not allow their wrestlers to behave like this. My coach in college, David James would not allow one of his wrestlers to call time out because they were tired. I saw several try it and he would not allow it. The kids will get away with what they are allowed to do. This puts it on the coaches, unfortunately some are coaching this type of behavior. Shame on these coaches.

Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: Beeson] #226751 03/02/14 06:00 PM
B
Bad MaamaJamma Offline
B
how about we just wrestle every match with the time format of overtime!

Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: Beeson] #226756 03/02/14 06:09 PM
baldeagle3351 Offline
Originally Posted By: Beeson
How about they just get in shape or we get more ethical coaches that will not allow their wrestlers to behave like this. My coach in college, David James would not allow one of his wrestlers to call time out because they were tired. I saw several try it and he would not allow it. The kids will get away with what they are allowed to do. This puts it on the coaches, unfortunately some are coaching this type of behavior. Shame on these coaches.

Agree. The rigors of training as a wrestler builds character — it's a point of distinction and pride. If we're teaching our athletes to exploit loop holes in the rules that were designed to protect them then we're eroding the character in which we profess to build. I believe this attitude occurs once a coach values wins more than he values excellence. There is no honor in winning by bending the system.

I support not changing rules but imploring all coaches to act with high integrity and in the spirit of fair competition.

Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: baldeagle3351] #226757 03/02/14 06:49 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
SHUT UP! Season over! Good job boys, heal up and get ready for freestyle greco season. How many of you (other then Chad) could go 1 period. Let alone 3. What good happened at the state tournament you were at? Bunch of winers. If injury time is the best you have to bitch about after the weekend of State, I would say Kansas wrestling is in good shape!

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #226759 03/02/14 06:56 PM
B
Ben Dover Offline
B
Originally Posted By: PatrickCavanaugh
SHUT UP! Season over! Good job boys, heal up and get ready for freestyle greco season. How many of you (other then Chad) could go 1 period. Let alone 3. What good happened at the state tournament you were at? Bunch of winers. If injury time is the best you have to bitch about after the weekend of State, I would say Kansas wrestling is in good shape!

? I thought this was a talk forum ?

Steve Earle
Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: Ben Dover] #226760 03/02/14 06:59 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Me too Steve. We're both talking. Seems to be working. Or.......is it?

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #226762 03/02/14 07:00 PM
B
Ben Dover Offline
B
SHUT UP !

Steve Earle
Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: Ben Dover] #226763 03/02/14 07:04 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Ha! Probably not. But you can keep asking. Hugs and kissed Ben Dover.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #226768 03/02/14 07:42 PM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: PatrickCavanaugh

I have been holding off on the other items I would like to bitch about, but since you asked...I will hold off a few days more, but it is coming.

Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: Beeson] #226769 03/02/14 07:54 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Man, I love this forum. Sorry, but since State almost all the posts have been about refs or rules. These kids killed it all year and after it's over very little mention of the accomplishments of these fine young men. No disrespect meant toward any of you. Especially you Chad. Let's give kudos when they are deserved. And there's a lot deserved after this season. Peace people!

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #226770 03/02/14 08:13 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
PC, you are right on point. I am sure that there are some great things to be said about a lot of wrestlers, especially those that have finished a long and often brutal high school career. Here was a shout out to my son that I posted to my family/friends on FB. He wasn't the most decorated Kansas high school wrestler by far, but I am sure that he made a difference with his accomplishments. In theme with this post, he only had one long injury time out all four years and that was in a dual this year when he was returned to the mat in a less than polite manner (got slammed). He finished the match with a close win, but by no way was he gassed when the incident occurred.

Garrett had a very strong showing at 6A High School State going 2-2 but came up one win short of placing in his Senior, and final season. Thirteen years of wrestling, a lot of great memories, some huge wins and some tough losses, not to mention a lot of hard work, sweat, tears and blood left out on the mat. A high school career that included 103 wins, 4 State Qualifiers with 3 top 8 finishes, 1 State Medal (6th), 2 Regional Titles (2nd and 3rd the other two years), 4 League Tournament placings (2nd, 2nd, 4th and 3rd) and 6A Team State finishes of 6th, 3rd, 8th and 10th. Thanks for the great ride Garrett and you didn't leave anything on the mat the past two days.

Lee Girard
Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: ReDPloyd] #226783 03/02/14 10:47 PM
D
DamonParker Offline
D
Patrick-
I hope you didn't interpret my comment as "whining," because that wasn't the intent at all. In fact, I'm not sure a single one of my wrestlers had a match at state where an opponent took injury time. My comment actually had nothing to do with state....just piggybacked off the original post.

However, as long as I have been involved in the sport this has been an issue. There are very few repeat offenders, but to say that they don't exist is naïve.

It does say in the rule book that it is unethical to take an injury timeout when a wrestler is not injured, yet the small minority still do it. Until they actually put some teeth to the rule, there will be no change in some people's behavior. Unfortunately we cannot always count on EVERY coach and wrestler to act with the upmost integrity, despite the fact that 99% do.

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: DamonParker] #226787 03/02/14 11:02 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Not at all Damon. I apoligize to all for mis speaking. I just was thinking how crazy is was after a super intense weekend for most on this forum that what came up first was injury time. Of all things. Kids, yours included Damon busted there ass all season and we are griping about injury time. As Ben Dover put this is a talk forum to communicate ideas which is what Chad was doing starting this thread. Just thought the timing was off. I will shut up and begin my training for next season on this forum. Congratulations to all who participate in this great sport.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Out of Shape Wrestlers [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #226898 03/04/14 12:13 AM
S
Spexy Offline
S
Who are we to judge?? Poked in the eye, leg cramp, shoulder, knee, etc. We are not the ones in battle, they are. Injury time is there for a reason. If you're hurt you're hurt. Don't care what a fan thinks, it's the ones on the mat who feel the pain. It's only 2:00 minutes, not the end of the world. Saw, multiple "poked in the eye" this weekend. Maybe we should cut out, " head taps" / shots to the face. And make that a penalty point. Don't whine about what they are given according to the rules. They are there for a reason.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 136 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)