Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
6A, 5A, 4A & 3A/2A/1A Senior Class "All Glue Team" #226786 03/02/14 11:00 PM
ReDPloyd Offline OP
OP Offline
This is a tribute to all those high school seniors who have competed and competed hard the last four years but did not make the podium in their Senior Campaign. I am rolling up 6A and welcome others to roll up the other three classes. These are the wrestlers who have helped keep Kansas High School wrestling compete at a very high level. This list is the seniors that finished the deepest in their bracket without placing in the top six this year. Most of them came within one win of placing. Without these wrestlers, the cream of the crop would not have to work as hard as they do to stay on top.

The 2014 6A Senior Class "All Glue Team"

106 Xavier Kenney (Lawrence), Honorable Mention- Samarth Thakur (Blue Valley Northwest)
113 Benjamin Deaton (Olathe South)
120 Logan Mueller (Blue Valley West), Masen McCracken (Haysville-Campus)
126 Bailey Yetmar (Olathe South)
132 Garrett Girard (Lawrence), Honorable Mention - Chris Rodriguez (Shawnee Mission East), Sean Salerno (Blue Valley Northwest), Josh Levinson (Blue Valley North)
138 Charlie Nelson (Blue Valley Northwest), Honorable Mention - Zach Carpenter (Hutchison)
145 Chris Adler (Garden City), Erich Sanchez (Manhattan), Honorable Mention - Ernest Caldwell (Wichita East), Aaron Taylor (Shawnee Mission West)
152 Michael Leeper (Manhattan), Honorable Mention - Will Armstrong (Wichita Southeast), Luke Wassel (Blue Valley West)
160 Ben Charpentier (Blue Valley Northwest), Honorable Mention - Colton Steele (Lawrence Free State), Connor Albrecht (Olathe Northwest)
170 Jose Santillon (Derby), Honorable Mention - Ryan Bellinger (Lawrence), Josh Mullin (Manhattan)
182 Jackson Macoubrie (Blue Valley), Honorable Mention - Aaron Davis (Washburn Rural)
195 Devon Rogers (Haysville-Campus), Brandon Quy (Washburn Rural)
220 Carlos Brown (Wichita East), Honorable Mention - Drake Sparks (Olathe East), Warren Flores (Wichita North)
285 Chall Jenkins (Blue Valley West), Dametrius Berry (Shawnee Mission South), Honorable Mention - Keith Mulligan (Blue Valley)

Last edited by ReDPloyd; 03/07/14 12:47 AM.

Lee Girard
Re: 6A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: ReDPloyd] #226799 03/03/14 12:42 AM
S
Salt Offline
S
Cool list ReDPloyd, a very solid bunch! I'll try 4A basis your criteria:

106 Tyler Hildibrand (Augusta)
113 Chance Maynard (Buhler)
120 Jacob Christie (Wamego)
126 Jerad Heckman (Ft Scott)
132 Cameron Niemtschk (Andover Cent)
138 Brook Bahe (Goodland)
145 Grady Ware (Clay Center)
152 Brendan Pribil (Pratt)
160 John Whitworth (Iola), Cory McCleary (Basehor-Linwood), Kossivi Esse (KC Sumner Academy)
170 Wright Bosley (Augusta), Caleb Parenti (Ottawa)
182 Garrett Taylor (Goodland), Ryan Madigral (Bishop Miege)
195 Bryce Misenhelter (Iola)
220 Dalton Holt (Wellington), Gus Farthing (Burlington)
285 Kaiden Reed (Larned)

Mark Whitson
Re: 6A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: Salt] #226811 03/03/14 02:45 AM
ReDPloyd Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Mark. I think that it is important to recognize the seniors who helped make Kansas high school wrestling better. My son wrestled Chance Maynard at State when they were both freshman. I also recognize many of the names on this 4A list including Pribil who wrestled for my high school. Great job guys! You may have come up a little short of your goals, but you did make an impact on Kansas high school wrestling.

Lee Girard
Re: 6A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: ReDPloyd] #226812 03/03/14 02:49 AM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Very cool!!!

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: 6A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: Teamroper] #226923 03/04/14 01:30 AM
ReDPloyd Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is what I came up with for 5A. Anyone from 3A/2A/1A that can help complete this post?

106 Robert Simmons (Valley Center)
113 Ryan DesLauriers (Great Bend), Mustafa Adibi (KC-fl Schlagle)
120 CJ Beran (Mill Valley), Honorable Mention - Gabe Gooch (Saint Thomas Aquinas)
126 Tyler Irwin (Salina South), Honorable Mention - Adam Pelfrey (Blue Valley Southwest)
132 Tyler Freeman (KC Turner), Honorable Mention - Cody Lytle (Great Bend)
138 Brett Cobb (Pittsburg), Max Detwiler (Emporia), Honorable Mention - Cole Hoing (Lansing), Jacob Mills (Wichita Kapaun), Zack Schridde (Great Bend)
145 Lucas Wilson (Wichita Kapaun), KJ Shaw (Pittsburg), Honorable Mention - Danial Wilson (Leavenworth), Zack Hoskins (Saint Thomas Aquinas)
152 Forlanda Parker (Wichita Heights), Honorable Mention - John McNabb (Salina South)
160 Chris Smith (Arkansas City), Honorable Mention - Josh Moyer (Maize South), Zane Picket (Valley Center), Nollan Kirmer (Emporia)
170 Shanon Dobbs (Topeka Seaman)
182 Regan Wright (Mill Valley), Logan Flowers (Topeka Highland Park)
195 Mike Lopez (Andale), Heyden Mock (Newton), Honorable Mention - Jake Gramke (Mill Valley), Caleb Peterson (Maize South)
220 Rolando Jerez (Emporia), Sam Lafleur (Wichita Kapaun), Justin Henry (Great Bend), Honorable Mention - Tavon Alleyne (Blue Valley Southwest)
285 Mason Naphy (Lansing), Zach Jenkins (Wichita Bishop Carroll)

Last edited by ReDPloyd; 03/07/14 02:08 AM.

Lee Girard
Re: 6A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: ReDPloyd] #226970 03/04/14 01:28 PM
CoachAndres Offline
What a great post.... These guys are the heart and soul of most teams. As someone who has started college wrestling teams at four different schools, I love to fill my room with guys like this, and they should be proud of what they did in high school. These guys are invited to attend our "Ottawa University Wrestling Preview" day and find out more about our great school and new wrestling team. For more information about Ottawa University or the preview day, please email me.( kevin.andres@ottawa.edu )
One of my favorite questions to guys like this is, "Is this the end of your story of wrestling? Or just the end of a chapter?” Let’s go write the next four years together!

Thanks,
Coach Andres
Ottawa University Wrestling

http://www.ottawabraves.com/sport/0/26.php
http://www.ottawabraves.com/f/Mens_Wrestling/Andres_Interview.php
http://www.ottawabraves.com/recruiting.php

Last edited by CoachAndres; 03/04/14 03:26 PM.
Re: 6A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: CoachAndres] #226976 03/04/14 02:03 PM
C
Coach Bode Offline
C
I'm going to add 145 Danial Wilson of Leavenworth into the mix. He was a 2x state qualifier for the Pioneers, which isn't bad considering he was once written off as a "lifetime JV wrestler". Unfortunately he wrestled his worst tournament of the season at the wrong time and failed to qualify for state this season in a tough 145 bracket that included both state champion Olsen from Lansing and state placer Gay of Seaman.

Danial was our team captain this year and was definitely the glue that held our team together. 2 of our wrestlers who qualified for state have both said they never would have made it without Danial's guidance and leadership. Even after suffering his heartbreaking, career-ending loss at regionals, Danial was matside that very same round to cheer on his teammates as they attempted to achieve their state qualification. He very easily could have hidden for the rest of the tourney and sulked in his own pity, but he's a much better man than that. He understood and embraced his role as captain, which is a true testament to what Danial is all about.

I am very proud and honored to have been able to coach Danial in both wrestling and baseball. He is the definition of a hard work, perseverance, dedication and leadership. He epitomizes what this great sport is all about.

Thank you for the years of hard work in the wrestling room and I can't wait for baseball season to start so I can watch you dominate on the diamond!

Justin Bode
Leavenworth High School Boys and Girls Assistant
Tournament Director
Re: 6A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: Coach Bode] #227098 03/05/14 01:08 AM
ReDPloyd Offline OP
OP Offline
Coach Bode,

You sold me and since it is my list, I have added Danial to the 5A Senior Class "All Glue Team". Thank you for posting your convincing reply. After all, this post was meant to honor seniors who fell short of placing at State in their Senior Campaign but had exceptional careers and undoubtedly made Kansas High School wrestling stronger than it would have been had they not wrestled.

Lee Girard
Re: 6A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: ReDPloyd] #227119 03/05/14 01:51 AM
ReDPloyd Offline OP
OP Offline
And last but not least, the 3A/2A/1A Senior Class "All Glue Team".

106 Only one Senior in this bracket and he placed 5th (Trevor Haun - Fredonia)
113 Only two Seniors in this bracket and they placed 1st and 2nd (Branson Addington - Norton; Ty Nienke - Ellsworth)
120 Christian Perez (Marysville)
126 Riley Juenemann (Phillipsburg), Honorable Mention - Jim Weller (Southeast of Saline), Mason Schweitzer (Hesston)
132 Jake Gentry (Rossville), Mason Bannister (Phillipsburg), Honorable Mention - Marshall Barkow (Ellsworth), Tommy Jenkins (Hesston)
138 Trever Melcher (Harrington), Honorable Mention - Zach Thornburg (Whitewater-Remington), Adam Gehring (Plainville)
145 Triston Hurla (Wabaunsee), Mo Rojas (Ellsworth), Honorable Mention - Brandon Schoenthaler (Wakeeney-Trego Co), Tyler Watts (Beloit), Dylan Jones (Marysville)
152 Chris Anderson (Oberliin-Decatir Co.), Trevor Desaire (Plainville), Cody Delk (Hillsboro), Dakota Cline (Eureka)
160 Hunter Kohler (Phillipsburg), Bobby Bleakley (Saint Marys), Jacob Griffith (Marysville), Kyle Chew (Effingham-Atchison Co.), Preston Nelson (Hillsboro)
170 Cole Renner (Norton), Honorable Mention - Trevor Fee (Highland-Donaphan West), Grant Gilliam (Oberlin), Paxton Noll (Howard-West Elk), Ray Farnsworth (Belleville-Republic Co.)
182 Jared Burrows (Lakin), Zac Lewman (Marion), Honorable Mention - James Dunnivan (Richmond-Central Hts), Justin Ward (St. George-Rock Creek)
195 Brandon Harrell (Sabetha), Drake Whalen (Osage City), Honorable Mention - Shawn Wages (Saint Marys), Seth Fouts (Douglas), Jason Martinez (Southeast of Saline)
220 Kagan Blackwell (Hoisington), Honorable Mention - Jordan Tuner (Erie), Jesse Correll (St. George-Rock Creek), John Mosher (Beloit), Nathan Bower (Salina-St. Johns Military)
285 Mason Rains (Oakley), Honorable Mention - Stephen Baker (Caney Valley)

Last edited by ReDPloyd; 03/08/14 12:30 AM.

Lee Girard
Re: 6A, 5A, 4A & 3A/2A/1A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: ReDPloyd] #227141 03/05/14 02:35 AM
O
Oingo Offline
O
Recommend adding Cole Hoing (#138) from Lansing in 5A in a
is addition to both Cobb and Detwiler who are both deserving. Hoing is a 4-time State qualifier and two year team captain. This year he went 28-11 with 16 pins. All 11 losses were to state placers in either Kansas or Oklahoma. He also beat 5 state placers (3 pins) including 2 wins over the 5A state runner up.

Re: 6A, 5A, 4A & 3A/2A/1A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: Oingo] #227157 03/05/14 03:09 AM
Coach Malay Offline
Also Brandon Schoenthaler in 321a 145. He went 31-10 and was ranked for awhile. His losses at state were to Schmidt(6th) and Dreher (4th)

Michael Malay
Trego Community High School Head Wrestling Coach
mmalay@tregoeagles.com
785-769-3082
Re: 6A, 5A, 4A & 3A/2A/1A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: Coach Malay] #227179 03/05/14 11:35 AM
ReDPloyd Offline OP
OP Offline
I have added Cole Hoing and Brandon Schoenthaler and will add his high school when I am able to access Track since I am not sure where he wrestled. Thanks for the information.

Lee Girard
Re: 6A, 5A, 4A & 3A/2A/1A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: ReDPloyd] #227195 03/05/14 02:19 PM
C
CCC walk on Offline
C
321A All Glue Team
I would have to add Jim Weller at 126 of Southeast of Saline. This wrestler was a team captain, great mat sportsmanship, and a state qualifier 3 years. Not taking any thing away from Riley Juenamnn. These young men will have a very successful careers with the work ethic and dedication learned from this sport.

Re: 6A, 5A, 4A & 3A/2A/1A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: CCC walk on] #227248 03/05/14 06:00 PM
T
Troy R Offline
T
Marshall Barkow from Ellsworth was ranked for a bit and qualified for state at 132 lbs 321A. Very tough competitor who I watched a couple times this year.

Last edited by Troy R; 03/05/14 06:00 PM.
Re: 6A, 5A, 4A & 3A/2A/1A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: Troy R] #227376 03/06/14 09:31 PM
ReDPloyd Offline OP
OP Offline
I have added both Weller and Barkow to the 3A/2A/1A Senior Class "All Glue Team". I welcome any other nominations as I posted this thread as a tribute to Seniors who contributed to making Kansas High School Wrestling better than it would have been without them on the mat.

Lee Girard
Re: 6A, 5A, 4A & 3A/2A/1A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: ReDPloyd] #227387 03/07/14 12:25 AM
5G's Dad Offline
Lee,
I appreciate you taking note of Gabe's contributions as well as the rest of these deserving kids (and any other that were inadvertently left off or yet to be noticed). This tribute is a pretty cool acknowledgement for many of these kids who will no longer get to compete at this wonderful sport.

To all competitors, future and past, may you always find health at the end of your competitive days!

Troy Gooch

Re: 6A, 5A, 4A & 3A/2A/1A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: 5G's Dad] #227390 03/07/14 12:55 AM
ReDPloyd Offline OP
OP Offline
I just updated the 6A Senior Class "All Glue Team" with additional Honorable Mentions. This doesn't water down the list, it just adds more wrestlers who should be recognized for their contributions to Kansas High School wrestling. As time permits, I will update the other classes and will always take suggestions. I don't know all of these wrestlers so I am going off my best guess based on the brackets, season records and results. I welcome your input.

Lee Girard
Re: 6A, 5A, 4A & 3A/2A/1A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: 5G's Dad] #227393 03/07/14 01:33 AM
ReDPloyd Offline OP
OP Offline
Troy,

I wouldn't have left Gabe off this list, after all he did help make Garrett a better wrestler when they competed against each other in the practice room at STA. I would have loved to see Gabe compete this year at State and I wish you all the best in years to come.

Lee Girard
Re: 6A, 5A, 4A & 3A/2A/1A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: ReDPloyd] #227395 03/07/14 02:10 AM
ReDPloyd Offline OP
OP Offline
I updated the 5A Senior Class "All Glue Team" with additional Honorable Mentions. If you have other suggestions, please post.

Lee Girard
Re: 6A, 5A, 4A & 3A/2A/1A Senior Class "All Glue Team" [Re: ReDPloyd] #227422 03/07/14 07:21 PM
B
BVWJAGS Offline
B
Lee,

I don't believe we have ever met, but I have seen your son wrestle in both kids club and high school and admired his work ethic. My son is Luke Wassel and I appreciate you noting his accomplishments as well at 6A 152. I would like to share his story for if it helps one person who has had to overcome injury or saves one kids life, then it is worth sharing. He has had a long, painful road back to the high school sports of football and wrestling that he loves to compete in. In February of 2012, on the Thursday before the EKL League Championships, my then sophomore son was driving home from varsity wrestling practice, he wrestled 132 that year. He was stopped at a light and one of his teammates in his car and he in his car decided to mess around and drive faster than they should have been. The problem was, Luke was a new driver and when he decided to take his foot off the gas pedal to slow down, the car mat had wedged it and kept it down so he could not reduce his speed. So, he panics and reaches down for the pedal, takes his eyes off the road, drifts from the left lane to the center island and then over corrects to the right on a two lane road going Northbound on Antioch. He then crosses the road, axle sinks into the grass prior to impact with a 4 foot concrete retaining wall and he flips his Explorer end over end, while the roof hits on the edge of the wall and he proceeds to flip and roll multiple times on the grass grade that the retaining wall was holding and then comes off the wall and lands down on the road about 250 feet on all four wheels. I was in Atlanta on business at the time when I got the call from my oldest son who coaches at Blue Valley West that evening. All he said was Dad it is bad. I got the last flight out of Atlanta that night and arrived at Overland Park Trauma Center at 12:30 a.m. By the time I had arrived, there were 100's of parents and high school classmates there. He had just finished getting out of a 5 hour surgery to begin to repair his left leg. He had a broken femur in his thigh and they inserted a rod. He had a compound fracture of the Tibia and Fibula which came out of the skin, which they temporarily set with rods outside of his leg as they kept the wound open for a week as he had 4 other surgeries to clean the wound and the bone for fear of infection. Ultimately, they plated the Tibia with a plate and screws. If he had NOT had his SEATBELT on, he would not be here today. The extent of the damage to the car was massive as it was crushed and twisted. When I actually saw it I at the salvage yard a week later, I actually got sick. The only thing that Luke remembered was reaching down for the gas pedal to free it and looking at his left leg sticking up through were the windshield should have been and as he states, bent in half with blood coming down on me. The doctors originally said it would be 50/50 if he would retain his leg, they said they had big concerns about infection for up to as long as six months because of the amount of dirt and debris in the open wound and on the bone itself. They literally had to cut away some bone to try to prevent infection due to the dirt. The doctor believed that as the vehicle was rolling that his bone must have spiked at some point in the dirt and grass. Then they said that if he did keep his leg he would probably forever walk with a limp or possibly not regain full movement of his foot and ankle. They told him he may never get back to playing competitive sports as they had to cut some muscle that had died out of his calf area and he had some nerve sensation issues in his foot from nerves which were crushed. They told him if he ever did, he could expect up to at least two years of rehab to recover, and that was only if the bones ever even actually healed. The second day he was so out of it due to pain and pain medication, that he did not even realize the extent of his injuries. He said to me, Dad, I have to get out of here. I said why? He said cause I got to get to wrestling practice, we have the league tournament tomorrow. I told him Luke you will not be able to participate in that tomorrow and it was at that time that he first saw the damage to his leg. I told him I loved him and told him that out of all the kids I know, he has the heart and mental toughness to overcome this setback. His body was working so hard to heal himself that even though he was eating fine, he was just burning calories and his weight dropped to 113 pounds. I brought him out of the hospital 8 days later and as I was driving him home, I told him I am sorry for his accident and the pain he is now going to have to endure for the upcoming months. I told him if I could take it all on myself I would but I can't. I told him that I did not know if it was because he was named after a saint, or if it was because the accident occurred in front of a church.......but I told him that by the looks of that car that if it were not for his seat belt being on and the grace of God's will that he should be dead. I told him that God must have bigger plans for him. I then told him that although I feel terrible about what happened to him and the pain he was in, that as his father, I was struggling with my anger and disappointment for the poor choice he made and how this did not need to happen. We talked about that and cleared the air. I told him that the pain meds he was taking were heavy duty and addictive and I knew that the rehab would be long, grueling and painful. I told him that I know he has a very high pain tolerance and that I don't want him to suffer but that he should look to wean down on the amount he takes as time goes by and take them only as needed. He started doing that immediately and I made a chart by day and week which showed the decline. By the 5th week, he had himself off all medications. They started rehab to keep the muscles moving which was challenging as the bones were not healed. There was talk and concern about possibly needing knee reconstruction as well as we were told the MRI showed ligament damage. His sole goal was to get on the football field for his senior year. He endured a year of rehab and I told them that he is tough and will be motivated to push himself, but when you get him to that point, push him harder. He made amazing progress and rehabbed three days a week and would go to football practice the other two during his junior year. He was cleared to do light running drills as the doctor thought that would help his muscle memory to return. She said he would be in pain, but not to do more than the pain would allow. He limped while running through sprints and as his father it killed me to see him go through that. He asked me if he could get cleared to play football in his junior year, seven months after the accident. I told him it was not worth it, that he was not strong enough or ready, but I took him for a leg strength comparison test. The doctor would not clear him unless he demonstrated at least 80% to his good leg. He did not pass, so they suggested a strength coach who would work with him specifically to rebuild his muscles back for sports. He finally was cleared to play sports during the last regular week of his junior wrestling season as he just got to 80%. He practiced one week and I had concern about his knee as one doctor said he needed ACL and MCL surgery and I was not comfortable with that diagnosis so I went to Children Mercy South Sports Orthopedic group. They looked at the same MRI and did not feel there was any torn ligaments. They stated the instability in his knee was due to muscle atrophy. Not knowing what to do, I went with my gut and Luke's belief that his knee was fine. After returning for one week of practice, he wrestled in a varsity tournament as a light 152 and went 2-3. I told him that the mental hurdle would be just as big as the physical one to overcome. He worked out everyday after that wrestling season ended and all summer and made it back to the football field as a defensive back and wrestling mat for his senior year. He was a six seed in his region and his bracket had seven kids with winning records and 20 or more wins on the season, so I knew it was going to be tough and that any kid could beat the other depending on how they wrestled. He lost to the 3rd seed in the first round who he had beaten twice during the year. Then won a close decision in the last seconds and on the backside elimination match against a kid he lost to three times this year, twice in overtime, he falls behind early and is down 5-1 in the third period, but he is pushing the pace and his opponent is tiring. He gets a stall point is down 5-2 and several times in the third almost had takedowns but they were on the edge of the mat and not awarded. With 26 seconds left he gets a takedown and puts the kid to his back and wins 7-5 to earn a place at the state tourney. His team, parents, coaches all went crazy. Many had tears of joy for him. He proceeded to take third by winning his third straight match by he score of 3-0. He is not the best technical wrestler out there, but what he has and what the sport develops is heart, determination, and work ethic to overcome obstacles. As he jumped into my arms and hugged me after qualifying for state, I told him that he showed the biggest heart I ever saw and he said thanks Dad, I couldn't have done it without you and Mom. He knows what he lost, by making the choice he did that day two years ago and I am sure on some level he will always regret it. But, he has had the opportunity to talk to middle school kids, classmates, and friends about obeying traffic laws and always wearing your seat belt while driving. So I thought I would share this rather long story in the hopes that it may inspire someone if they run into an injury to know that no matter what the prognosis for recovery is, that hard work can help you overcome it and hopefully reminds all of our kids and teenage wrestlers to always wear their seatbelts. Because the only right thing which he was taught that he did that day was to put on that seat belt. For if he did not, this story would have had a totally different ending.

Jerry Wassel

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 134 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)