Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Purler Wrestling Tip of the Week #227283 03/05/14 09:02 PM
N
Nick Purler Offline OP
OP Offline
N
System – you are FAR better off as a coach and / or wrestler to have a system of drill routines. Similar to a weight training routine, a practice routine that is neither too big or too narrow is just what you will need. Generally, a few of the best leg attacks, a few of the best ways to score from a front headlock, etc is the best route to take. Write this down and tape it to your wrestling room wall. Follow this just as a teacher would follow a lesson plan. It is better to focus on a narrow drill plan and do this same plan over and over and over than it is to have a massive set of drill routines and only get to spend a few minutes a week mastering that enormous plan. Good luck!

- Purler Wrestling

Nick Purler
314-229-3540
www.purlerwrestling.com
www.foundationwrestling.com (instructional dvds)
Re: Purler Wrestling Tip of the Week [Re: Nick Purler] #227305 03/06/14 12:15 AM
R
Rford Offline
R
Great advice and probably a truism in all things...focus on a few things and master them. A jack of all trades isn't usually very good at any of the trades.

My brother was an outstanding wrestler. I think he knew three moves. An ankle pick, a simple stand-up, and a "cheap tilt." I'm sure his opponents and coaches knew exactly what was coming, but he had these moves mastered and didn't need much more.

Also, having the stamina to last the entire period can make a winner out of a less-skilled wrestler. A lot of matches are lost in the third period because a kid is gassed. If I coached, I'd have my kids jog for at least a half hour every single practice. We did that with a middle school-aged football team one year and they ended up winning their games in the fourth quarter simply because they still had the wind to run.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 150 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)